Start by marking “Friends and Foes (The Jonquil Brothers, #1)” as Want to Read:
Friends and Foes (The Jonquil Brothers, #1)

Friends and Foes

(The Jonquil Brothers #1)

After five years of tracking and capturing spies on English soil, Philip Jonquil, Earl of Lampton, is in pursuit of his last quarry. But at a travelers inn, he encounters an unexpected and far more maddening foe: Sorrel Kendrick, a young lady who is strikingly pretty, shockingly outspoken, and entirely unimpressed with him. Indeed, Sorrel cannot believe the nerve of this ...more
Published January 6th 2012 by Covenant Communications, Inc. (first published September 25th 2003)

Start your review of Friends and Foes (The Jonquil Brothers, #1)
Donna Hatch
Feb 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of the funniest, wittiest, snarkiest, and most tender romances I've read in a long time. Brilliantly crafted and flawlessly researched, this book is firmly on my "keeper shelf" and I will probably read it again, which is unusual for me. The heroine is strong and a bit prickly, but with a vulnerability that makes her instantly likeable. The hero seems to be patterned after the Scarlet Pimpernell, with his dandyism taken to a new height and matched with a depth guaranteed to put readers into a ...more
QNPoohBear
Jul 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Philip Jonquil, Earl of Lampton, is a dandy, a fop, a fribble and a spy! No one really knows that his dandy persona is a cover to obtain information useful in catching French spies. Weary of this guise, Philip is eager to catch the mysterious Le Fontaine, a notoriously deadly French spy, and retire from spying. While on a mission he meets his most challenging foe yet-a young lady! He accidentally insults a lady, but his foppish personality gives him a good excuse and of course he will never see ...more
Kathy * Bookworm Nation
June 2015: a fun read, great chemistry and banter between leads. Reminds me a bit of The Scarlet Pimpernel.

January 2013: SO good. I love the story and characters.

January 2012: Friends and Foes was another great read. I loved our characters Sorrel and Phillip. I first fell for Phillip in the book Kiss of a Stranger and I was excited he would get his own book. I thought he and Sorrel had great chemistry and it was fun to watch them fall in love.

Sorrels life took a drastic change after an
Janette
Oct 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Sarah is a friend of mine and so it's always fun for me to read her books. She has a great sense of humor that comes through in her writing. The hero in this book: awesomeness personified! I loved Philip. In fact I thought he was so awesome that I repeatedly told him he was too good for the heroine. He didn't listen. They never do.

I noticed there were four empty pages at the end of the book. I can think of no reason for a publisher to put four empty pages at the end of the book unless they left
Clara
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Endearing!

How about getting lost in a story all types of adorable to start off my vacation?

I adore Sarah M Edens writing! From her sense of humour to her historical setttings, she completely pulls me into her stories! But most of all, her layered characters pull on my heartstrings.

Im so glad Ive finally made my way around to read Sorrel and Philips story. It shouldnt have taken so long!
Tito
This was a really cute book. At first, the writing in the beginning threw me off, since it seemed like the author didn't know how to use pronouns (it sounds mean, but it almost stopped me from reading, because the names of the characters were used to start almost every sentence. That kind of stuff really bothers me). However I powered through, and by the second chapter, the writing improved drastically (I have no idea how that happened).

After that, I was really able to get into the book, and I
Karen
Jul 16, 2012 rated it liked it
I think this author could be really good, but I think she needs an incredible editor. Someone who could really push her to be better. I don't enjoy the way the main characters constantly berate themselves for noticing the other person. Like, 'Why did I just notice her hair, I shouldn't be noticing the way it is so dark and gorgeous...' or something similarly silly. It was constant and it came from both of them and it rankled. I also didn't enjoy his "tactics," they were annoying to say the ...more
Kelly
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I just love those Jonquil brothers!!

Love love love Sarah M Eden's writing
Katie W
Jan 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Sorrel had an "unfortunate accident" a few years before and feels she's not pretty enough to ever make a match. Phillip is trying to keep up his appearance and is with his good friend and his family (and all 67 brothers--haha) for the holidays.

I loved Phillip in The Kiss of a Stranger, so it was a treat to get to know him better--the dandy. :) Right off the bat, he and Sorrel get off on the wrong foot. I loved the war tactics and the banter between the two.

A twist of mystery, a dab of romance,
Lilyan
Apr 29, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

Not bad. Typical hate turns to love relationship.
The bitter and emotionally damaged girl meets the charismatic and sharp man, they get off on the wrong foot, some "witty" banter ensues, enter some sort of hastily put together actions scenes that puts our heroine in peril, they suddenly realize they love each, and they live happily ever after!

The End
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
3 1/2 stars. Cute, but a few things bothered me. Review to come.
Emily
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Earl of Lampton, Phillip Jonquil, dandy to the public and spy for the Foreign Office in secret, is trying to track down the murderous and ever illusive French spy Le Fontaine so that he can finally end his 5 year spy career. By chance he meets an intriguing, sarcastic dark beauty who carries around a walking stick? at an inn one night whom he offends by his fashion critiques, mockery of her affectation, and general foppish ways. They both leave not liking one another and figuring they will ...more
Julie
Mar 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Set in England, we revisit our old friend from a previous book, Phillip Jonquil, who we find out is really a secret spy trying to catch a traitor to the Crown, all the while pretending to be a fop and entertaining houseguests at his home.

Sorrel Kendrick is a woman who has been disfigured in a horrible accident and has a limp that makes her life miserable. She hates feeling dependent and as such, she puts out a fairly defensive position to everyone she meets and most especially to Phillip
Anne Osterlund
Jun 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Philip Jonquil lives his life in disguise. His cover as a dandy allows him to hide his true occupation of tracking a French spy.

Sorrel is scarcely living a life at all. Ever since the unfortunate incident that rendered one of her legs next to useless, she has suffered constant pain, social isolation, and the necessary assistance of a walking stick.

An affectation that regretfully becomes fodder for one of Philips nonsensical discussions on the aspects of fashion. By the time he realizes that
Megzy
Nov 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great banter, good chemistry, well developed characters! I liked that there was no sex scene in this book. The attention was given instead to developing the plot and characters instead.
Natasha
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Overpriced! When I pay $10.99 for an eBook, I expect to be wowed. This story flatlined for me shortly after the hero and heroine encountered one another at the holiday house party. Philip was such a likable character in "The Kiss of a Stranger," but he didn't intrigue me at all in this book.

The story focused far too much on Sorrel's injured leg and her struggle to be brave again. Over and over again, we're told about her limp, her cane, and her pain. We watch her struggle to go down the stairs
herdys
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm oficially a fan of Sarah M Eden!! This type of book is what I have been looking for!
I'm not a fan of enemies to lovers trope but this one was so well done. Plus it was refreshing to see the heroine being the brooder and thorny one with secrets on her past. I can't wait to read the rest of the brother's books! I love family series, such a shame we only get three books out of all the brothers! :')

Edit: Checked her website and the rest of the brothers are getting books this year! Hell yes!!!
Happy Reading Watching
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just finished this book and it was soooo good!!! Loved the character the family dynamic and I enjoyed this one alot more then the prequel. The plot was also nicely done and I can't believe it has taken me this long to read this series!
Love it!!! Highly recommend!!⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jessica
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love Sarah Edens books. There is nothing objectionable in them and theyre always sweet love stories with a bit of adventure and mystery thrown in for spice. Im glad she has written a lot of books. Because Im gonna read all of them. ...more
Lesr Kew
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 - witty with moments of cheese.
great storyline and good character development. I am truly interested in this family of boys now.... and in one in particular...
Alicia
Oct 03, 2012 rated it liked it
This was described to me as a cross between The Scarlet Pimpernel and Pride and Prejudice.

That is true.

Your average English Gentleman Fop is really a spy catcher in disguise. He meets a girl and it is dislike at first sight. He sticks his foot in his mouth several times, she says things she regrets. Then it's happily ever after, you know, once the showdown with the bad guys is finished.

The book alternates between viewpoints of Philip and Sorrel (and I'm sorry, but I didn't know Sorrel was an
Heather
Jan 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is the fourth book I've read by Sarah M . Eden and I can say she is one of my favorite writers of clean Regency romance. It had been a while since I'd read Kiss of A Stranger and I had already forgotten many of the characters. I wish I would have re-read it before picking up Friends and Foes. Sarah integrates the people from her last books into each of the new ones so it's fun to have them fresh in your mind. Philip Jonquil is back and is the focus of Friends and Foes instead of a secondary ...more
Hannah
Jan 05, 2017 rated it liked it
I love a good hate-to-love romance written well, and for the most part Friends and Foes succeeded at providing a satisfying example of just that. It was a slowburn relationship (just the way I like it) and the transition from enemies to reluctant partners and then lovers was believable, which is an aspect that seems to be rarely done correctly in romantic fiction.

Once they moved past the lobbing of cutting personal insults into a semi-truce with easy bickering and banter, Sorrel and Philip were
Jane
4.75 stars - pg/mild pg13

Love this hilarious, witty, romantic book!!! Love this author! Love this large fictional family of well-raised, true gentlemen who can always be counted on to support each other and to show respect to the women around them, starting with their mother! I rarely re-read books; Sarah Eden's books are one of the exceptions (along with Georgette Heyer) -- I will gladly re-read hers for years to come. So far I've read this one twice and loved it just as much both times.

Read
Connie
Jun 13, 2014 rated it liked it
This is such a fun read. The dialog is great and most of the characterization is fantastic. The characterization of the hero, however, is lacking. So much time is spent puffing him up as this wonderful spy, that when misunderstandings come up and he all the sudden lacks deductive reasoning skills its a huge disappointment. I think this particular character was sacrificed for plot in too many instances. In order to contrive more conflict, he fails time after time in areas that, as a world-class ...more
Sara Cardon
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: regency, fiction
I enjoyed this from start to finish. Phillip is a spy and hides it behind a facade build up to make him look shallow and self-centered. It's no wonder Sorrel can't stand him when they first meet. Then again, he insults her by pointing out things she can't change.

It's fun to see these two declare war on each other at the house party both attend. Sorrel is determined not to surrender, she never has and never will. Phillip is immensely engaged in identifying war tactics. The friendship that comes
Miriam Reeves
Nov 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic! This was hilarious. So witty. Lovely Love story. No Gross stuff and exciting. I was laughing so much when reading this. Phillip is hilarious. Its staged in 1816 England which is always a fun time to read about.

A tip though don't start reading this at 11 oclock at night because I ended up finishing it in one sitting :)
Erin
Mar 19, 2012 rated it liked it
3.5 - This one was good and explains Philip, but it wasn't my favorite of the 4 I've read from this author. And, I do wish she'd give you a little Epilogue. Did Sorrel get to pursue the treatment she was looking into? I've noticed in all of her books that she leaves at least one thread unanswered or hanging. I wish she wouldn't.
Kristen
Jan 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
8/13/14 - Just as fantastic as before. Now onto Drops of Gold, then As You Are...

1/5/13 - Just re-read it, still wonderful! Glad I read them all again, my sister just gave me the new one Drops of Gold! :o)

1/17/12 - Another great one! Keep them coming! Love, love, love her books!

Moral Note: Mild violence
Egypt
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lampton War Tactic Number Fifteen: Don't read books that make you wish that you had the romance in Friends and Foes.

This book was so snarky, adorable, and relatable. The bantering was so cute and it reminded me of a crossover between Anastasia (the animated movie) and Howls Moving Castle.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 3 Feb 21, 2015 11:59AM

• Becoming Lady Lockwood
  • Blackmoore
  • Secrets and Suitors
  • Lord Fenton's Folly
  • Heir to Edenbrooke (Edenbrooke, #0.5)
  • A Heart Revealed
  • Edenbrooke (Edenbrooke, #1)
  • Kit and Elizabeth
  • A Proper Scandal
  • Miss Wilton's Waltz
  • A Lady's Favor
  • Home to Somersby
  • The Vicar's Daughter
  • My Fair Gentleman
  • Daisies and Devotion (Mayfield Family, #2)
  • Miss Burton Unmasks a Prince
  • Promises and Primroses (Mayfield Family #1)
  • The Heart of the Rebellion

The Jonquil Brothers (7 books)
  • The Kiss of a Stranger (The Jonquil Brothers, #0)
  • Drops of Gold (The Jonquil Brothers #2)
  • As You Are (The Jonquil Brothers #3)
  • A Fine Gentleman (The Jonquil Brothers #4)
  • For Love or Honor (The Jonquil Brothers #5)
  • The Heart of a Vicar (The Jonquil Brothers #6)

News & Interviews

Well, here we all are, sheltering in place, buying canned beans, and generally trying to figure out how to stay inside and keep our minds busy....