Start by marking “Permanent Londoners: An Illustrated Biographical Guide to the Cemeteries of London” as Want to Read:

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  29 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
London's cathedrals, churchyards, and cemeteries are the resting places of many of the most famous and colorful people of all times. There are four chapters about Westminster Abbey, the hallowed home to Sir Isaac Newton in the scientists section, Thomas Hardy and Charles Dickens on the Poet's Corner, Elizabeth I. And Mary Queen of Scouts in the Royal Tombs.
Published April 28th 2000 by Robson Books Ltd (first published March 5th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Permanent Londoners, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Permanent Londoners

Loren
Apr 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cemetery-books
I love the Culbertson and Randall "Permanent" series books because they don't strive to be comprehensive. Other cemetery guides become tedious lists of all the famous people jammed into a cemetery, but these books go for depth instead, collecting up biographies of a few choice permanent residents. It's arguable you take more away from this series than the others, where either you recognize the famous names or you don't.

While Permanent Londoners spends a fair amount of time on the Magnificent Sev
jennifer
Oct 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a thick guide to the cemeteries of the city, with a focus on the burial places of the rich and famous. In London, that means royals, poets and writers, and historical figures. It starts off at Westminster Abbey, proceeds to The Tower of London, covers St. Paul's, Highgate, Hampstead and Golder's Green, then into South London and Windsor. Along with directions and descriptions of burial spots, biographies or historical information about the person or grave marker is included. There are bl ...more
Allison
Sep 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
This is a book that I kept in my car to flip through whenever I was waiting and in need of a book. It was great for that because I could pick it up and read a bit about some London cemeteries and people buried in them and easily put it down again. So, now I'm going to have to come up with another book like this for the car.
secondwomn
Jun 22, 2007 rated it liked it
this book is essentially a travel guide involving things i like a lot: london, dead people, old churches, and historical and cultural biographies.

the author is a little quirky, which is nice, but some people whom he chose to mention in passing are ones i would have liked to have known about.

this book was fun. recommended if you're someone who's interested in epitaphs and memorials in a historical context.
Ronn
Feb 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Even though it's much more of a tour guidebook than anything else, it still made for very interesting reading. The bios are clear and concise. I havent been to most of the places included, but for those that I have, I found the directions to be quite accurate. Recommended for Anglophiles and cemetery buffs.
Lisa James
Mar 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Pretty awesome tour of the inhabitants of note at the various cemeteries in London. Some of these places are now on my bucket list :)
Amanda Witt
A very detailed read about all the royals and other famous people over the centuries buried or at least memorialised in large places like Westminster Abbey to smaller cemeteries.
Heidi Ward