Start by marking “Shadow's Edge (The Kyn Kronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Shadow's Edge (The Kyn Kronicles, #1)

Shadow's Edge

(The Kyn Kronicles #1)

Everyone fears what hunts in the shadows--especially the monsters...

It takes a monster to hunt one, and Raine McCord, forged in the maelstrom of magic and science, is the one for the job. In a world where the supernatural shares a shadowy existence with the mundane, a series of disappearances and deaths threatens the secrecy of her kind and suggests someone knows the mons
Published November 2nd 2011 by Black Opal Books (first published October 29th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Shadow's Edge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadow's Edge

Lynn Rush
Dec 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
What a wonderful book. Awesome characters. I loved Raine. Such a tough cookie. And that Gavin. Whew!! **fans self** I can't wait to see where things go with them. Jami teased us with a glimpse into their romance, and I hope it heats up in book two, because they are just an awesome pair. :) Nicely done, Jami Gray!!
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
Shadow's Edge is the first full length novel in the Kyn Kronicles series, which details a contemporary world in which both humans and 'others' live. Raine is living the best way she can, whilst dealing with magic and the unknown roiling through her body and mind. She was a lab experiment at 15-years-old, and has left her with capabilities beyond the norm, even for Kyn. Working for her uncle as a Wraith, Raine is usually working alone. However, the job that comes through has her working in partne ...more
Vidya-BooksAreMagic
Raine is a Wraith, who has a terrible past life and works to kill the bad boys of the Kyn (supernatural beings) society. While she fights her own nightmares and prefers to live alone in her mental fortress, she was ordered by her boss to partner for her next case with Gavin, a very attractive, mysterious Kyn. Raine is trying hard to resist the charm boy, but you know how fate plays. Raine has to come clean with her past, face the truth and win the love of Gavin. But the case she is working with ...more
Debbie Christiana
Dec 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Urban Fantasy isn't a genre I usually read. Shadow's Edge is only the second one I've read and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Raine, a Wraith, is the heroine, strong, capable and wise, she has some terrifying baggage from her earlier years that is always whispering in her ear. She works for an organization that takes out undesirables from the Kyn society and gets thrown together with hot, sexy Gavin to work her next case.

I loved the paranormal aspect of the book. Jami Gray's imagination was in full fo
Adriana Ryan
Jun 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I highly recommend this book for those looking for a strong heroine to follow in an urban fantasy! I loved Raine--she was her own woman...none of that too stupid to live/needs a man to breathe sort of stuff. :) Can't wait to sink my teeth into the second book!
Shannan
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very intense urban fantasy, Shadow's Moon dives directly in. Raine is not the strongest of heroines for the first half of the book. I can totally understand it's mostly from a fear of what was done to her fifteen years earlier at the hands of Aaron Talbot and his team. There's certainly plenty of flashbacks and nightmares to help fill in some of the tortuous experiments she was subjected to. But at the same time she seemed to frequently lie to herself and others; about her control, about her f ...more
Vikki
May 16, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review originally published on V's Book Life

First Line: 'With a quick twist of her wrist, Raine slipped the blade between Quinn’s ribs. His heart gave one last desperate beat then fell silent. He slid slowly down her body to his knees, ending up in a strange, lover-like tableau.'
We start this book at the end of a battle, a fight that thankfully our heroine Raine has won. Her hands still shake after killing someone, something she believes still distinguishes her from the monsters she hunts. Withi
Sonja
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good story

Starts with secrets and keeps going with lies and betrayal, murder and mayhem. This book never got boring. Looking for the next one now.
Tina
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Must read

Amazing book! Absolutely fell in love with Raine and this incredible world that Jami Gray created. Is a must read and then re-read kind of book
Patricia Eddy
Sep 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love supernatural/paranormal books. Why? Because I love the idea of the unexplainable being possible. The world that Shadow's Edge encompases is one in which humans are almost completely in the dark about the existence of the Kyn, supernatural beings: wizards, witches, demons, and shifters. Raine is part Fey, but she's also something more. Tortured, experimented upon, and changed by horrific acts that took her mother's life, she's not entirely anything any more.

Gavin is another Fey. He was an
Debbie
Independent reviewer for Archaeolibrarian.

Raine and Gavin are Kyn, more so, they are Wraith, an elite warrior with in the Kyn similar to the human Black Ops teams. Gavin is a Witch, Raine is Fey, but Raine is much much more, thanks (not really the right word though!) to being a test subject she really didn't want any part of. Called to investigate
ILoveBooks
May 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Raine's character is the best part of this novel. She is on her own through a lot of the novel. The reader will get the feeling that Raine is smart and brave. Some readers might think she didn't necessarily need Gavin. Gavin's character was nice enough, the author did a good job of making him likable to the reader. He followed the "bad boy" stereotype. The romance budding between them was enjoyable, but almost didn't seem necessary to the story.

The action scenes were perfect. The reader will lo
Pratr- Authors
Jun 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shadow"s Edge Book 1

Raine (who is part Fey and something else) and her mother were experimented on when Raine was only 15. Unfortunately Raines mom does not make it out of alive from the lab. With the help from Raines uncle she is able to escape her captivates and leave lap behind.
Raine is now a Black ops agent, where she is in charge of any threats to the Kyn commuity which is all the paranormal in the area. Raine works Security as her cover job during the day for Taliesin Security. When she is
Carole Avila
Move SHADOW’S EDGE to the top of your reading list!

If I could, I’d give a rating of 4.95 stars. I am not usually attracted to the urban fantasy genre, but Shadow’s Edge by Jami Gray changed my expectations, and has set a very high bar for other authors to reach in the same genre. I bought Gray’s book to support her as an author and was amazed to see what an incredible story had been awaiting me.

My expectation was to run into a cast of characters that could be easily classified into light or dar
Linda
Aug 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Abducted with her mom, fifteen year old Raine MCcord fought her attackers, but in the end she became a lab rat. They injected, took samples of her blood and skin before she was rescued by her uncle who had hoped to save his half sister instead of her, at least she felt that way as he never showed signs of love toward her. At thirty, she had trained hard to keep the nightmares away and to become one of the twelve Wraiths working for Taliesin Security as a security officer where she protected Kyn ...more
Nana Prah
May 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED this book. Yes I capped the word. If there's a word beyond awesome, then that's what I'll use to describe it.

The heroine, Raine rocked from the very beginning. Being a tough kick ass female had to be one of my favorite aspects of the story. But when Ms. Gray added more than kicks, punches and slashes , the depth and intensity increased phenomenally. Raine’s past carved her into who she is. Oh the emotions Ms. Gray portrayed from Raine. I could feel her pain and anguish and wanted to giv
Valerie
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
So at first I thought this book was going to drag on but after first couple of chapters it really started to pick up and I started getting really hooked. I really liked the story line, it was something different from other paranormal books that I have read and that was nice. I am looking forward to reading more in the series and find out if things get a little better for Raine. I felt so sad for her a lot of times, so much she had to endure and really from what you read not a lot of support. All ...more
Jessy
Apr 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There was never a dull moment in this book. I was thrown into a world where the author brings everything alive for you. I found myself trying to discover the mystery right along with the main characters. I found myself yelling at Raine when she couldn't see what was right in front of her. I can't wait for book 2 I want to be a part of her growth. She's a bad a** hunter with major confidence until it comes to personal self esteem. She has so many walls up I can't wait to see who she decides she c ...more
Dalene
Jun 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First, I would like to thank the author Jami Gray for giving me this book for an honest review. I enjoyed reading this story very much. The storyline is good. The characters are well defined and written, I love Raine she is a very strong main female character. The paranormal community is known as Kyn and has four main groups. I love paranormal and urban fantasy, the author has done a great job with the world building. I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series.
Melissa Railey
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a little unsure about this book, but truth be told, I ended up loving it. It was fast paced, amazing fight scenes, good myth building. Gray answered just enough questions to satisfy you but left lots of threads unraveled to keep the reader coming back. I definitely wanted more resolution in one particular spot! I think this series has a lot of potential in the paranormal romance department.
Cyrene Olson
Jul 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Uncaged Book Reviews:

This is a non-stop action book, and if you like the paranormal action, with a sprinkling of romance, you will enjoy these books. This was my first book that I read from Jami Gray, and definitely won’t be the last. There are suspenseful elements, well-written action sequences and a developing romance.
Crystal
Aug 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was amazing!!! I read it from start to finish in a couple days, because I just couldn't bring myself to put it down. This isn't just a tough girl fighting to survive in her world, who meets an equally intriguing man, this is a book with a whole intricate, fantasy world. I definitely recommend it to anyone!
Mary Waibel
Aug 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shadow's Edge is a great opening to what looks to be an amazing series. Light on romance, big on mystery and conflict, this book grabbed me from the start and never disappointed along the way.

Fans of Patricia Briggs Mercy Thompson series and Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan series will enjoy the introduction to the paranormal world created by Jami Gray.
Gwen
Feb 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book and went to enjoy the next book as well Jami has worked hard in her world creation that I thoroughly enjoyed. If you enjoyed Stacey Brutger's book Electric Storm you might enjoy this one as it has the same feel to it.
Laura Duval
May 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love Action Novels

This was a very intriguing novel full of action, adventure, suspense and building anticipation of romance. Raine, I'm sure will turn out to be totally awesome in time. Gavin is mysterious and sexy. Definitely looking forward to more of him. The whole paranormal sci-fi mix novels are always interesting as anything is possible. The storyline was good.
Rachel- Goodbye Borders
Dec 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
Very good, a few typos, but nothing major. I liked how Raine finally seemed to accept who she was, kinda. She still carries way too much guilt and distrust- would have liked to see this improve- maybe in book 2. Good supporting secondary characters.
Nancy
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
An interesting concept for a book - scientists experimenting on races they don't understand. Oh, wait we did that - WWII. A possible good series, though.
Mona Karel
May 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A strong debut book. Good world building, a hot hero, and a heroine you want to emulate, and to hug in comfort
Gail
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book

Mad scientists, shape shifters and all things that go bump in the night or day. Excellent characters and an exciting story of magic and mayhem. Loved it.
John & Sharon Gamboa
Dec 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Flesh and Feathers (The Flesh Series #1)
  • Cupcakes vs. Brownies (Zimmah Chronicles #1)
  • Vaempires: Revolution (The Evolutionary War #1)
  • Winter
  • Promising Light (The Protectors, #1)
  • Into the Fire (Into the Fire, #1)
  • Undoing Time (The Fine Art of Deception, #1)
  • Once Her Man, Always Her Man (Always a Marine, #1)
  • Shadow on the Wall (The SandStorm Chronicles, #1)
  • Firecracker
  • A Storm of Secrets
  • You Can't Get Blood Out of Shag Carpet (A Study Club Cozy Murder Mystery #1)
  • The Stubborn Dead (Lost Souls #1)
  • The Obsidian Pebble (Artefact, #1)
  • Havoc Rising
  • Heirs of Prophecy (The Prophecies, #1)
  • Celtic Storms (Celtic Steel, #1)
  • Rumors (Rumors, #1)
Jami Gray is the coffee addicted, music junkie, Queen Nerd of her personal Geek Squad, Alpha Mom of the Fur Minxes, and award winning author of the Urban Fantasy series, The Kyn Kronicles, the Paranormal Romantic Suspense series, PSY-IV Teams, and her latest Romantic Suspense series, Fate’s Vultures. She writes to soothe the voices in her head.

From the author's website

The Kyn Kronicles (5 books)
  • Shadow's Soul (Kyn Kronicles, #2)
  • Shadow's Moon (Kyn Kronicles, #3)
  • Shadow's Curse (Kyn Kronicles, #4)
  • Shadow's Dream (Kyn Kronicles, #5)