Start by marking “I'm Fast!” as Want to Read:
I'm Fast!

I'm Fast!

(I'm ...! - Machines at Work)

From Kate and Jim McMullan, the popular creators of I Stink! and I’m Dirty!—now a streaming animated series—comes an irresistible read-aloud about trains, a perennial kid favorite.

WHEELS on the RAILS, ALL night long,
Racin’ and a-rumblin’ the FREIGHT TRAIN song—
Chooka chooka chooka chooka

Meet one hard workin’ freight train. He’s got to get to Chicago on time and nothing is
Published January 3rd 2012 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about I'm Fast!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'm Fast!

Start your review of I'm Fast!
Matt
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
A zippy red sports car and a freight train. Who would win a race between the two? You'd be surprised, as Neo surely was in this story. The book explores the ins and outs of freight trains, as well as some of the 'shortcuts' in their arsenal on the way to Chicago. Neo loved the story, but wanted more information on how trains get so fast.
Kimberly
Nov 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
I wasn't blown away by this one, but I have to take the kids' opinions into view--and they LOVED it. Even the two little guys with Autism who don't usually care about storytime were practically in my lap (I guess wheels really are part of the Y chromosome...oy) and all of the kids wanted to join in making noises, counting the train cars, etc. When I said, "The End!" a first-grader said, "I LOVE that book!" So, there you have it. Rave reviews from the tiny humans is worth a whole star upgrade in ...more
carrietracy
Oct 14, 2014 rated it did not like it
We hid this from the kid until we can return it to the library. He loves anything with cars and trains, but this doesn't make any sense and lacks any real continuity or plot. The pictures are cute though?
Elisabeth
Jan 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
Not the best book in the "I'm" book series but a freight train and race car together in ONE book?! Some little ones are about to have their MIND BLOWN. :)
Vivian
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This may be my TOP CHOICE of TRAIN picture books to share in a pre-school age library story time.
There's a race between a hot red car and a train.
The train first hails the YARD CREW to load the FLATCAR (lumber), the GONDOLA (bricks), the COIL CAR (steel), the TANK CAR (gas), the GRAVEL BIN, etc.
I love all the phrases, such as THROTTLE UP! ROLL! and the onomonapia such as "chooka chooka chooka chooka and vvrrrrrooooommmmm! While chugging along more cars are introduced -- the AUTO-RACK (cars), FRE
Emma
Mar 13, 2020 rated it liked it
I have to admit that I don't think this book is anything to write home about. The race plot is secondary and scattered, and I was irritated with the way the text toys with rhythm and rhyme just a couple times (worse than not at all). HOWEVER. If a preschooler says "That was a good story" just after you finish reading a book in storytime, you have to bump it up a star. I don't make the rules; I just follow them.
Lynn  Davidson
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is one of a series. In this book a car challenges a train to see who can reach the same destination first. The author uses short phrases and great action words. Very nice illustrations.
This is a fun story for young readers.
Deb
Aug 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: for-alena
I checked out several McMullan books from the library. This is my favorite so far. I like the race aspect of the plot, the educational aspect, and the sound effects. Alena likes them too.
Michelle
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-book
I will never understand the popularity of these books, but my son loves them.
Jacqueline
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
A favorite of my kindergarteners!
Miss Sarah
May 12, 2018 rated it liked it
A train and a car race across the country in this fast and filled with sounds preschool and up book
Nadina
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aww this was adorable, I loved the ending. Good illustrations and a good story, I liked the listing of the various types of train car. I think kids would really enjoy this.
Sevi Sather
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
Not great. Worse than the others in the series.
Heather
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime-cepeda
Pre-K or toddler storytime book. So many good sounds to make!
David
Jan 20, 2012 rated it liked it
I'm Fast! by Kate McMullan, illustrated by Jim McMullan is the tale of a race from Sacremento to Chicago between a red car, and a train pulling freight.

After agreeing to a race, the train engine hooks up to freight cars including a flatcar, gondola, coil car, tank car, hopper, freezer car, boxcar, stack-car, and auto-rack. They cross a mountain, encounter snow, travel through the night, scatter cows, cross a bridge, and pull into Chicago with the train there first!

The text uses a large, bold fon
Whitney
Things get heated up in quickly the book, I'm Fast!, whenever a speedy little car and a train decide to race one another to Chicago. Each page shows a different car that train has to pull. The train even transports pizza and ice-cream bars, which is always a favorite food with young readers. The train is competitive as he is racing to beat the little car zipping through all the turns. The train ends up winning and instead of bragging about his accomplishment, he offers the car a ride on his boxc ...more
babyhippoface
Feb 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
First Kate & Jim McMullan brought us I Stink!, followed by I'm Dirty!, I'm Bad!, and I'm Mighty! Now they've brought us the story of a train who's really, really fast. And it's pretty cool.

Engine decides to race Little Red Car to Chicago when he's challenged, but first he has to load his freight. He's got a gondola car full of bricks, a hopper full of gravel, a flat car of lumber, a coil car with steel, a freezer car loaded with ice cream bars, and more. There's even a car loaded with cars!

Durin
Asho
Sep 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
So, I have no idea what happens in this book because my 18 month-old and I only got as far as the fourth page, which shows the train entering a tunnel in the desert. When I tried to turn to the next page, my son turned the page back to that one. So I re-read it, and attempted to turn the page again. No dice. My son shrieked "Noooooo!" and insisted that we were done turning pages. I spent the rest of story time pointing labeling various elements on the page as he happily pointed to the train, the ...more
Laura Simon
Oct 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: simonbookshelf
This book is about a train and a car. The two decide to race to Chicago. The train loads all of his different cars and is ready to go. The train gets to take shortcuts through mountains while the car has to go over. The train makes it through snow just fine, but the car has a tougher time. The train talks about all of his different cars. He has stack cars, freezer cars, gondolas, and many more. The train ends up winning the race to Chicago. The train gives the car a ride back instead of racing a ...more
Erin
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If I had a nickel for every time I read this book to my son...I'd have enough for something out of the gumball machine. That's a lot of nickels for a library book. I'm not sure what he loves most about these books. He loves trains, cars, and loader buckets. He has started to tell me to go faster when I drive and never seems satisfied by my speed. He always makes me list all the types of train cars. I have to say this has taught me a lot about trains too. I think he also likes the weird train sou ...more
Jennifer Heise
Jun 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: beekman, trucks
A little red car challenges a freight train to race to Chicago. The friendly, sportsmanlike freight train accepts, and chants through the journey, from loading the cars to arriving in the freight yard-- and offering the car a ride home.
A frolicking, fun run through a picture book, with rhyming, rhythmical text that makes it one of the best in this series.
Some things rang untrue (truckers riding *in* their trucks on the train? pizzas in a box car, not a fridge car?) and one or two were confusing
Rachel
Apr 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My son really liked this one, though I think most boys would as it is a race between a sports car and a train. You would think the train would be slower because of the different freight it has to pick up before it can start, but it has some tricks up its sleeve. Even though the car is faster and lighter, it comes in second. My son and I loved the illustrations and no wonder as this done by the same husband and wife team that did the rhyming trash truck book “I Stink!”, which my son also loves. Y ...more
Linda Silva
Oct 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a cute story of a car and freight train who race each other to Chicago. It explains different situations that each one goes through that delays their journey but can also be advantages to one or the other. When the winner emerges, a challenge is issued for the trip back. They work together going back! This is just a fun book for younger children with lots of fun words, not in sentences, of noises that trains and cars may make. I would use this just as a fun read and to teach cooperation. ...more
Carol
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
From Rhu, my six-year old son: I think it was hilarious and it was funny at the end because the train won and the car lost. I like when the car got stuck in the snow and in traffic while the train passed by.

From Rhu's Mommy: A cute little book especially for little boys who love trains and great sounds. We loved the page that named all the cars of the train (and read it several times!). The writing is simple and the illustrations good, which makes it a great book for toddlers and up. It is reall
Marcie
Fun for preschool and K. Could also be used for onomatopoeia and other figurative language. I can't imagine that that Kindergarten train lover, there is at least one every year, wouldn't enjoy this.

Kids liked this the best of all I read today. I think it was because they recently did writing activities on Shark vs. Train and they made the competition connection immediately. I liked it better each time I read it.
Jun 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Another library book my son adores. I'm not super fond of the story (nothing wrong with it, not offensive or anything) simply because it doesn't flow as well as most of the other storybooks we read together. It uses lots of onomatopoeia. The illustrations are very cute and the red car looks a lot like Lightning Mcqueen, so he tends to choose this as one of his bedtime books over most of the other ones on the shelf.
Angie
Jul 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
I liked it. I LOVE the cover.

I can even see reading it to some PreK or Kinders. As we all know they are fascinated by trains and cars.
Plus the kiddos would enjoy helping with the sound effects.

Could this be a "flannel" story? I follow Flannel Friday on blogs and Pinterest because I think the idea is so fun. I just don't ever DO them. But I can totally see the value in practicing the retelling skills.
Amber
Jan 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
I didn't Love it but my son who is 4 absolutely does. He has asked to read it over and over even sharing it with Nana.

A cute little train engine and fast red car decide to race to Chicago. It does have all kinds of fun vocabulary and the train is even hauling ice cream and pizza. Which gives the littles plenty to think about. The train ends up winning but instead of being a show off he gives Little red a ride back.
Kerry (The Roaming Librarian) O'Donnell
This is great for any kid who's interested in cars, trains, and other things that go! McMullan has a great rhythm to the text of the story, with the train chugging along and the car 'vrooooooming' across the pages, this will keep any kid's attention. The colors on the page are bright, and there are plenty of spots of information for a reader to learn all kinds of things about freight trains. This one is definitely a keeper!
Dana Beyer
Sep 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Make the train & car like people, stage a race across U S from California to Chicago is fun and all too realistic from the tunnel into the blizzard! As one who's entertainment as a child was watching the train go by fascinated by all the cars and what they transported from lumber to coal, the tanker car, and caboose! I would highly recommend this educational journey and then finding A spot to do take the children train watching . A freebee to slow your pace down enjoy a good ole days pastime . ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Supertruck
  • My America, The Beautiful
  • Luis and Tabitha
  • Bink & Gollie: Two for One
Kate McMullan is an American children's book author.
She is the author of the Dragon Slayers' Academy series. She is married to author and illustrator James McMullan.

I'm ...! - Machines at Work (8 books)
  • I Stink!