Start by marking “The Grooming of Alice” as Want to Read:
The Grooming of Alice

The Grooming of Alice (Alice #12)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  1,016 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Growing up—and slimming down—is the tricky proposition in this repackaged installment of the beloved Alice series.

The summer before ninth grade is all about getting it right—from head to toe. Alice and her friends want to start high school feeling like they always imagined a true high schooler feels: confident, capable, and pretty. But a little too much time standing in fr
Published March 6th 2012 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published May 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Grooming of Alice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Grooming of Alice

Christina Wilder
This is one of the very, very few YA books that I've read that assures the reader that there is nothing wrong with being a sexually curious female, and also that there is nothing wrong with any body type.
The summer starts with the girls deciding they need to get in shape for high school. They go running every morning and swear off sweets but Elizabeth seems to be taking the weight loss too seriously. The girls love to take magazine quizzes and go to a seminar on loving their bodies, no matter what the shape or size. Some scary and sad things happen too as the girls continue to grow up and have to face more adult challenges. Also Alice starts to really act like a teenager and scream and cry all t ...more
Aug 24, 2008 Caroline rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: series, young-adult
This book was amazing! It's soooo realistic, and you can't put it down! It's about Alice and friends the summer before high's amazing!!!!! read it!
Alice and her friends realize that they're about to enter high school with the same bodies they've always had, and embark on a mission to get in shape over the summer. Elizabeth goes a little too far. Pamela's life implodes. Alice becomes a volunteer at the local hospital. Alice loses someone she loves.

Book takes place: Summer before 9th grade.
Alice's life lessons: Normal, normal, normal. Our bodies are all normal.
Best Alice moment(s): Eva Mecuri's outfits; Alice's grounding; Code blue 517; Alic
If you were to ask me if I had to pinpoint with the Alice series switches from middle-grade to young adult, I would say it's The Grooming of Alice.

At one point, Alice, in a fit of pubescent dramatics, dubs the summer between eighth and ninth grade the worst summer ever. I'm normally against hyperbole, but I have to admit that our every-girl heroine sure has a lot of issues thrown at her in these two hundred pages.

Alice, Pamela and Elizabeth decide they need to get in shape for high school and co
book 12. pamela & elizabeth talk alice into a summer of dieting and exercise, which elizabeth takes too far. lester dates a scarily materialistic woman. alice & gwen volunteer at the hospital, and alice says goodbye to a dear friend.

i love lester.
Sometimes it is difficult for me to separate my love for this series as a whole from my feelings concerning each individual novel.

This book addressed the important theme of learning to accept and love the body you were born into. The teenage years are so rough when it comes to self-image. This is made all the tougher with the persistent bombardment from the media telling you what you need to be better and pointing out each one of your flaws. I don't see that changing anytime soon so it's importa
Laura Hughes
I'm calling it: this is where the Alice series goes downhill.

Some detractors hate on the high school books because of the increase in sexual content, but I'll defend the series to the ends of the earth from them; I think the frankness with which it approaches sexual topics which are undeniably part of teens' lives is one of the series' strengths. Allowing the characters to grow and change is another, and it would be ridiculous for Alice to retain her childlike naivite as she enters adulthood.

Such a dramatic summer for Alice and her friends! After a mean comment at a pool party, Elizabeth begins to exercise too much and eat too little. Pamela has a fight with her dad that not only gets her in trouble, but also Alice. The disagreements between Pamela and her father become so awful that Pamela decides to move to Colorado with her mother.

Meanwhile, Alice has begun volunteering at the hospital as a candy striper and crosses paths with her favorite teacher Mrs. Plotkin who is suffering h
It's the summer between eighth and ninth grades and Alice, Elizabeth, and Pamela plan to hang out with their friends, work a few hours a week, and get in shape. Their early-morning runs and vows to eat healthier foods take a dramatic turn when Elizabeth begins to look like skin and bones. Alice experiences the loss of her favorite teacher and Pamela has problems living with her dad. The three girls attend a workshop for girls only in which body issues are discussed, including weight and sexualit ...more
Janine Darragh
Alice, Pamela, and Elizabeth make a pact to run every morning the summer before ninth grade, so they can fix the flaws they see in their bodies. But when Elizabeth takes it too far, and Pamela continually fights with her dad, Alice is stretched in more directions than ever. How can she make the right choices, and help her friends with theirs? An emotional read as life turns more complicated going into high school. Recommended for grade 7 & up.
Kira Brighton
Addresses quite well a number of serious teenage issues.
This book had a few milestones, it was one of the longest Alice books so far at 200 pages, and also one of the saddest. I read this on my way back from a wedding in about an hour and change. Major things happen to Alice in this book: We get to know her brother Lester's new girlfriend, a development occurs in the romance between her father and her English teacher, her friend suffers from an eating disorder, and worst of all, Alice suffers a huge personal loss. This book was definitely a stand out ...more
♡ Kristina
Banned Books 2011
Reasons: nudity; offensive language; religious viewpoint

Banned Books 2006
Reasons: offensive language and sexually explicit

Banned Books 2003
Reasons: sexual content, offensive language, unsuited to age group

Banned Books 2002
Reasons: homosexuality, sexually explicit, unsuited to age group

Banned Books 2001
Reasons: sexually explicit, unsuited to age group
The Alice series was seriously my go-to for any questions I had related to sex when I was in the 5th grade. This one was my particular fave because it was so "dirty". My friend and I would read the paragraph about female anatomy aloud to each other again and again, giggling the whole time. It was my favorite series of all time.
Over the summer, Alice and her friends try to get in shape, Elizabeth takes losing weight a little too far, Lester gets a new girlfriend, Pamela has more trouble with her parents, and Alice's dad goes to visit Miss Summers in Englad. A bit more issue-packed than some previous, but still very enjoyable.
Pamela Hubbard
This is great book for pre-teens with a very relatable character, Alice. Phyllis Reynolds Naylor does a masterful job of delving into the thoughts and emotions of fourteen year old girls and addresses such issues as body image, health, loss of a loved one, and just general issues of growing up.
Celine Parker
This book is one of the best from Alice. The summer before high school proves to be one of the most dramatic ever as Elizabeth taked body image too seriously and Pamela puts Alice in an uncomfortable position by running away to her house.
This is a great story about how Alice and her friends are trying to get in shape fr high school. But .... soon things get a little out of control!!!!!!!!
I've always loved this book, and it still seems so relevant. It has such an amazing message about body image that all girls should read and internalize!
This was probably one of the most detailed books so far. It didn't get boring in the middle. It had a good ending. Over all it was pretty good!
It was a pretty annoying book, probably meant for 12 year olds... It was very imformative of your body and anorexia though.
I'm so glad Alice is growing up and really delving into some deeper meaty issues. The body image stuff was spot on.
Alissandra D.
this book is GIRL FUNNY ... boys back,back you hounds. see they are trying to get it now OUCH one bite me.
Everything about the way you look is normal, and don't try to hard to be different or cool.
This book is amazing and so true. I am on to another book in the series now -- Achingly Alice.
Very interesting book, not sure the appropriateness for the age it was written for.
♫✯Aria loves #PriceField✯♫❤Put on your war paint❤For you, I'd bleed myself dry
some lines in this book had me in tears laughing. I was not molested!!
  • Zooman Sam (Sam Krupnik, #4)
  • America
  • The Facts Speak for Themselves
  • Detour for Emmy (Hamilton High, #1)
  • King and King
  • The Unbearable Book Club for Unsinkable Girls
  • Spying on Miss Muller
  • Amber Brown Is Feeling Blue
  • Crazy Lady!
  • You Hear Me?: Poems and Writing by Teenage Boys
  • Jump Ship to Freedom
  • Missing Abby
  • The USA (Horrible Histories Special)
  • Daddy's Roommate
  • I Saw Esau: The Schoolchild's Pocket Book
  • Maggie Bean Stays Afloat (Maggie Bean, #2)
  • Tiger, Tiger
  • The Arizona Kid
Phyllis Reynolds Naylor was born in Anderson, Indiana, US on January 4, 1933.

Her family were strongly religious with conservative, midwestern values and most of her childhood was spent moving a lot due to her father's occupation as a salesman.

Though she grew up during the Depression and her family did not have a lot of money, Naylor stated that she never felt poor because her family owned good boo
More about Phyllis Reynolds Naylor...

Alice (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • The Agony of Alice (Alice, #1)
  • Alice in Rapture, Sort of (Alice, #2)
  • Reluctantly Alice (Alice, #3)
  • All But Alice (Alice, #4)
  • Alice in April (Alice, #5)
  • Alice In-Between (Alice, #6)
  • Alice the Brave (Alice, #7)
  • Alice in Lace (Alice, #8)
  • Outrageously Alice (Alice, #9)
  • Achingly Alice (Alice, #10)
Shiloh (Shiloh, #1) The Agony of Alice (Alice, #1) Faith, Hope, and Ivy June Shiloh Season (Shiloh, #2) Saving Shiloh (Shiloh, #3)

“If it doesn't sweat, jiggle, or pant, it's not alive.” 2 likes
“His face looked almost as gray as his suit, and the pouches beneath his eyes looked like little bags for holding all the sadness that his head couldn't hold.” 2 likes