Start by marking “Inside a House That Is Haunted” as Want to Read:
Inside a House That Is Haunted

Inside a House That Is Haunted

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  237 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
This classic Halloween tale is now available as a Scholastic Reader! Bestselling author, Alyssa Satin Capucilli, and two-time Geisel Honor winner, Tedd Arnold, team up for this hilarious halloween tale that is just as much trick as it is a treat. Previously published as a paperback, this classic is now available as a Scholastic Reader. With illustrations that make the scar ...more
Published July 1st 2011 by Turtleback Books (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Inside a House That Is Haunted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inside a House That Is Haunted

Ashlin Edmisten
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, childrens
This book has a great sing-song quality that drives the rhythm of the book in a more natural way than most repetitive books I've read. During the Halloween season, you can use the format to prompt your pre-reading child, helping them think about words as symbolic. As always, Tedd Arnold's illustrations are amazing.
Brittany
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So repetitive it will make you crazy. Just seems like she was trying to fill up her pages quickly. Cute illustrations. But after about the 4th time of repeating it, you get tired of saying it and the kids get tired of hearing it.
Kim Nelson
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This cute Rebus story builds to a fun ending. Each page builds off the previous page which makes it fun to read. Great illustrations. I am looking forward to reading this to children.
Briana Warner
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: el-ed-340
In the month of October, this book is perfect! The repetition is easy to follow and the illustrations are eye catching and easy to follow. I love that it says "inside a house that is haunted" because the class can shout it out with the teacher and the read aloud can become a shared reading. Students will be engaged and waiting for the part that they can say. I read this book with a student and she cracked up at the fact that the ghosts and monsters were afraid of the trick-or-treater, the book r ...more
Charlotte
Nov 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charlotte really liked this one - some of the words are tiny pictures. The book calls this "rebus" but I am not sure that's 100% accurate. Doesn't a rebus show a picture as part of a word? Or the sound of a word? Either way, Charlotte liked it a lot, and when I read her the back of the book (her new thing, I must read every single printed word on the front and back covers) and said "rebus" she put together the word-pictures in the book with the character of Danny Rebus from Electric Company on P ...more
Kimberlee Gutterman
Sep 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: predictable
This is very similar to the book called "The Dress I'll Wear to the Party" because they both use pictures to represent words that have already appeared in the book. This is a great book for children learning how to read because they can look at the pictures and can associate it with what is going to happen. The predictable text reminds me of "There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Fly". This predictability engages students and allows them to be a part of the read aloud. This book has been turned ...more
Audrie Estrada
Personal reaction:
This would be a wonderful book to read around halloween time because its very silly and gears kids towards a happier halloween rather than a scarier one. the illustrations are also cartoonish so it makes it a more enjoyable for the kids. I like this because it is a fun and easy read for kids.
Purpose:
I would read this to 1st and 2nd graders around halloween time. I would use it as a lesson on halloween to give them a bit of a chuckle. It puts their worries about ghosts out of t
Rosa Cline
Feb 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, halloween
This is a very cute level 2 reader. The words are similar to "the old lady who swallowed a fly" so you could kind of sing it if you wanted to. The lines are repetitive but not so much that it's boring to read. The haunted house although has ghosts, spiders, and monsters isn't scary for little listeners and at the end is actually 'scared' by a trick or treater! Cute little book to read at Halloween or any time of year! My 2 year old granddaughter and I enjoyed reading this and the illustrations a ...more
Katie Nanney
This book was very much like There was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly. It kept building on itself. It was all about ghosts, monsters, and Halloween. The person who gave me the book said that it would make a good read-aloud for Halloween in Kindergarten. I agree with her. It's a predictable story and very simple. I can see it being used for Halloween, but not any other time of the year, unless the kids really like it, then I'd keep it on the shelf for them to look at.
Ivano Parravano
This is a rebus-rhyme poetry book. The words and phrases are catchy and easy to remember. The illustrations are colorful and each page adds on to the previous. This book is suitable for primary grades and older. I chose this book because it was a little different that other poetry books I have seen. I liked how some pictures replaced words in order for young readers to read along.
Robin
Oct 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: junebug-s-books
Junebug "R.E.A.D." with this to wondrous approval from her kids, especially now that it's Halloween time. The building of the story (repetition), engaging imagery (pretty pictures), and surprise ending were perfect for capturing the interest of young readers.
Christy Parker
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of my kids favorite books around Halloween. Fun to read with your kids. The illustrations are very good and there's a cute little twist with the trick or treater and the monsters at the end.
Hannah Starnes
This is a cute book to use around Halloween and can be used to talk about poetry. You can also use this to introduce a new type of book called Rebus, where there are pictures in the sentence instead of words.
Tam
Nov 15, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a Level 2 Scholastic Reader meaning it has new vocabulary and longer sentences for a developed reader.

The story is similar to "The House That Jack Built". It takes one thing and adds another. Then repeats both things and adds another. My 5-year-old liked it but didn't love it.
Lori
Oct 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My youngest loves this book. He can actually read along with me, because it repeats the entire story, just adds a new line each page, and shows you a picture in place of some words.... he enjoys this book! And its got a little twist at the end that always makes him laugh.
Shai
Oct 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lot like the old lady who swallowed a fly. Very fun read.
Tiffany
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book to add to your family's Halloween storybook collection!
Jennifer Kelley
Oct 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the rebus in this story--great to get the kids involved.
Brendan Howard
Good, fun book. My only complaint is a small one, that the trope of "the monsters are scared of PEOPLE" is really cliche now and I'd be happy seeing better endings, even to small children's books.
Ann Moody
Sep 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one is a real cute charmer. From Tedd Arnold's adorable, wide-eyed, not-scary monster illustrations, to Capucilli's brilliant rhythmic rhyme, it's pure engaging fun for early readers.
Memito
Sep 27, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cumulative rhyme in which the spider, ghost, cat, and other inhabitants of a haunted house wake up and startle each other.
Yulia
Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Another one of my kids' favorite! I love the story and the pictures, and my kids love reading it "all by themselves"
Mortis Boys
Nov 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fall-halloween
The boy memorized this one.
Alison
Oct 21, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, halloween
This book is great for preschool - 1st grade. It can be very interactive if you use the pictures with the words. The kids like the repetition and it leads into sequencing.
Sandra
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Very cute! Reminds me of "This is the House that Jack Built".
Bridget
This is such a fun rebus book. Be sure that you have a lot of breath, as the reader, to finish the end of the book.

Illustrations are by Tedd Arnold (Huggly books).
Tatiana
A funny Halloween repetition book that has the talented Ted Arnold's artwork highlighting the goofy humor of the haunted creatures of a creepy, silly home. For ages four and up.
Rebecca
Jan 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book! I'm 15 and sometimes I'll randomly start reciting the rythme line for line. It's such a cute story.
Dean
Jun 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was like "THe House That Jack Built" It was funny.
Terralyn
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sir-scott
This was my daughter's favorite many years ago, and now I'm reading it to my grandson. We love this book!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Skeleton Hiccups
  • Thanksgiving Is for Giving Thanks
  • Little Goblins Ten
  • Scaredy-Cat, Splat!
Alyssa Satin Capucilli was born in Brooklyn, New York, in 1957. She graduated from Sarah Lawrence College, and pursued her interest in dance, becoming a professional dancer and dance instructor. Though Capucilli had written stories, poems, and even puppet shows as a child, she didn't consider a career as a writer until after her own two children were born. To this day she sees herself as both a da ...more
More about Alyssa Satin Capucilli...