Start by marking “Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons” as Want to Read:
Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons

Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons

(Pete the Cat)

4.39  ·  Rating details ·  10,574 ratings  ·  1,040 reviews
An award-winning and bestselling Pete the Cat hardcover picture book!

Count down with Pete in this rocking story that makes counting fun! Pete the Cat is wearing his favorite shirt—the one with the four totally groovy buttons.

But when one falls off, does Pete cry? Goodness, no! He just keeps on singing his song—after all, what could be groovier than three groov
Published May 1st 2012 by HarperCollins

·  10,574 ratings  ·  1,040 reviews

Start your review of Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons
Cyndi
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My 4 year old grandson, Mr. H loves this book! The play he put on to go with it was fabulous, until the buttons popped off. Projectiles! Dive for cover! 😮
Aug 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
"It’s all good!"

Oh, how I love this coooool cat and his groovy laid-back ways!

Bright blues, yellow, and red rule the pages in Pete’s world. Pulling readers in page by page with vibrant color and pure soul soothing energy and attitude. The simplicity of Pete’s life lesson and message will hit readers of all ages with a smile. Mr. Litwin is a master at sneaking right up on his readers with an “isn’t-that-the-truth” message to live by.

Pete will add an extra bounce in your
Daniel Clausen
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-of-2018
I recently had the great delight of reading this book at the Omura City library to a group of remarkable young children. The amazing thing about this book is that I didn't know a thing about it before I picked it up. I was actually supposed to read another book but decided to pick this one up instead...and what did I find. I found this amazing soul called "Pete the Cat" and his remarkable outlook on life. A cat that knows how to appreciate what he has and never mourn too long for what he's lost. ...more
Erma Talamante
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: needs-reviewed
Full review pending...

Read at Barnes & Nobles' storytime...

Pete is a funky little cat with a cool, laid-back attitude. Nothing gets to him as he keeps on singing!
Erin
I always forget to mark picture books as "read!" I've used this one several times in storytimes, most recently a couple of weeks ago.

It's my favorite Pete the Cat book, other than the original--and sometimes I think I might even like this one better!

In addition to the wonderful refrain, I like that there are a lot of details to notice in the pictures than aren't necessarily mentioned in the text--the color of the buttons, the different settings where Pete goes, etc. I enjoy pointing
Abigail
Jul 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Pete the Cat Fans / Readers Looking for Fun (if Limited) Counting Books
That smooth-sailing feline Pete the Cat returns in this third picture-book devoted to his laid-back adventures, following upon Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes and Pete the Cat: Rocking in My School Shoes . Sporting his favorite shirt, the one with the four groovy buttons, Pete is going about his day, when one by one the buttons begin to pop off. Does Pete cry? Absolutely not! Instead he counts his (progressively fewer) buttons, and sings his song...

Like its predecessors, Pete the Cat an
Joella www.cinjoella.com
I LOVE this book! It makes me happy. Basically Pete the Cat has a shirt with four groovy buttons. And he goes around and we can sing the song of

"My buttons, my buttons, my four groovy buttons."

Then a button pops off. Of course Pete the Cat isn't upset about what happens. He just goes around singing about his "three" (or less) buttons. And what happens at the end...that is just perfectly amusing!

This is going on a storytime list in the near future (in whatever theme I can fit it int
Donalyn
I saw Eric and James perform this book at the Dublin Literacy conference and I could hear them in my head while I was reading it. Fun book with a good message.
Sylvester
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
2* art
3* story
5* narrator

Too young for Squirt, really, but it comes on my library app, so I gave it a whirl anyway. Not a book I'd recommend normally, but this is one of those moments where a good reader can make absolute magic happen. Squirt and I go around the house, "My buttons, my buttons, my 4 groovy buttons!" And the message is a good one. Be thankful for what you have rather than regretting what you've lost. A perfect lesson for Squirt - and Squirt's mom too, as it
Karen
Oct 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My almost-five-year-old son picked this book out from the library this week.

My son ADORES Pete the Cat, and here is why:

1. Before I even finished reading this book through for the first time, my son had taken over the story and got it pretty much spot-on.

2. Pete the Cat is Cooooool. He doesn't get flustered when things go wrong, and when you are almost five and learning to be independent, things can go wrong very often.

3. Pete the Cat is funny. He just is.

4. Pete the Cat is a sha
Shira
Apr 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
Pete the cat is cool.
He is faced with hard, emotional situations - the loss of his totally groovy buttons on his favorite shirt, one by one, until he is left with none. But does he cry? Goodness no! he stays optimistic, he stays cool. In fact, he is singing.

Pete the cat is stoned.
Well, what can you expect from a cat who was created by James Dean. Eric Litwin and him were also probably high when they wrote and illustarted this book, which explaines the groovy buttons, the fact he won’t stop sing
Lu Benke
Don't really need to be on the lookout for great books to use with 2's and 3's in storytimes, but somehow I keep looking for them anyhow. And this is definitely one! Even has a nod to content literacy with subtraction a major theme. But it's the bright, clear colors, repetitive language and irrepressible optimistic cat that will make the kids like this. They won't mind the cool things Pete's doing either--e.g., skateboarding and surfing. And, I can just see the satisfied look on their faces when ...more
Jim Erekson
Feb 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picturebooks
As a pop phenomenon, I can see why this could take off, become kind of viral.

As a concept book on simple subtraction, it works. The cat's "it's all good" attitude and standard coolness provides some subtle humor as he loses his buttons in random settings. Overall there's not much here. The return to the refrain, the song, provides a decent moment for imagining what the tune would be like and how it would sound being sung instead of read as prose.

But then I see that they want me to download the
Michele
Jul 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Are you an instructor who wants to maximize your teaching and learning time with cross-curricular activities? This is a great book for students just learning about subtraction or addition. While building literacy skills, it also illustrates the subtraction process with lots of vivid colors and a really groovy cat. It includes a song for those who are musically motivated. The ending provides the surprising bonus of a valuable moral for students to ponder.
Audience: primary
genre: fictio
Teri
Jul 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Teri by: Caryn
I am new to this series. Had never heard of these books. Thanks Caryn for the introduction and telling me about the song. So cute. You can find on youtube. I played the video/song for our 4 year old, she was captivated, then I read the book. She loved it. I heard her in another room singing the catchy tune. I love the counting and subtraction in the book as well as not crying when buttons pop off a shirt,etc. "Do we cry? Goodness no! Buttons come and buttons go." Words to live by.;) A good philo ...more
Eyehavenofilter
Button, button, Pete's got buttons, Pete's looses buttons, does he get upset? Nope. He's ok with it.
This is such a colorful book , full of fun and carefree attitude. Kids learn subtraction, and a way to deal with loss in a positive way.
Not everything is the end of the world as we know it, and Pete has a great way of showing kids that not everything has to be taken as a crushing blow. I kinda' like that. Children learn how to deal with things from a very early age, this is a positive step in ho
Emily
Jul 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
Audience: Primary-Math Theme
Genre: Picture Book-Math-Comedy
Book Share: Have you ever had a shirt you loved, but it kept falling apart? Well this happens to Pete, in the book Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons. Pete doesn't get upset though, goodness no! He keeps movin' on. If you like songs, counting, and cats with buttons, you are sure to love this book. Read this book to find out what happens when Pete loses ALL his buttons.
Danielle
Jul 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Audience: Primary
Genre: Picture -- comedy
Book Share:

Love a fun book that you can interact with? Or maybe sing a song? This book is about Pete the Cat with some groovy buttons--but something goes wrong. Pete has to keep a positive attitude while things tend to go wrong.

If you like the previous Pete the Cat books or a good dose of humor, you'll love Pete the Cat and is Four Groovy Buttons. Pete's groovy buttons have a mishap--what does Pete do? And what does he
Jen
May 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My students are in LOVE with Pete the Cat, so know matter what story it is of his, they adore it! I played the song along with it from HarperCollins Childrens and that stays in your head for a long, long time! My 1st graders were walking out of the library singing, "My buttons! My buttons! My four groovy buttons!" :-)
Emilia
Oct 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is hilarious, but add to it the youtube promo and I just die every time I read it to my almost-two-year-old (which is a lot, btw). I love the zen-like message ("buttons come and buttons go") and the introduction of simple subtraction.
Shakeema Gabriel
Jul 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: social-emotional
I love the Pete the Cat series!!!!! This book shows you can still be happy about life no matter the obstacles you go through. You could teach colors as well as numbers in this book. This would be a nice art and crags project.
June
Dec 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone working with small children
I am becoming a huge Pete the Cat fan. This has been a huge hit, from lap time to story time to class visits and day care out reach. 12/7/12

Just love Pete the Cat! It was a hit in PJ Story Time
Michelle Nero
Nov 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Ok, I have to admit when I first read this I tried singing Pete's song with the "old" tune and it just didn't work. But did I cry? Goodness, no! I just went to the internet and listened to Eric sing Pete's song. Buttons come and buttons go!
Urbandale Library
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor, picture-books
I think you should read this story because I like to sing along as I read it with my Grandma and you will too! This book is about a cat losing his buttons and how he can still be happy.

Submitted by Urbandale Library patron Daphne (age 5)
Shanshad Whelan
Apr 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not bad. This was so much better than the second Pete the Cat book. It kept more to the tone of the original book with an easy refrain to remember and repeat. While it's not quite as good as the first, I think it's a fairly strong presentation.
Stephanie  Weatherly
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite Pete the Cat books to read with my littles. I love the song repetition and my littles love counting the buttons as they are lost throughout the story. Great read!
BiblioBrandie
Nov 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
So great! Loved the surprise ending :)
Elaine
May 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytimes
He's so chill.

The kids at story time LOVE this book! They sing-along and know most of the words to the entire book!
Cameron
Sandy Irwin
May 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Pete the Cat is just too groovy! And the counting is integrated well into the story.
Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons 1 3 Sep 20, 2015 07:23PM
Picture Book Favo...: Pete the Cat 1 7 Aug 03, 2013 05:10PM

• The Duckling Gets a Cookie!? (Pigeon series)
  • Let's Go for a Drive! (Elephant & Piggie, #18)
  • Pete the Cat and the Bad Banana
  • Pete the Cat: Pete at the Beach
  • We are in a Book! (Elephant & Piggie, #13)
  • Pete the Cat: Too Cool for School
  • Up, Tall, and High!
  • Pete's Big Lunch (Pete the Cat: I Can Read)
  • Pete the Cat: A Pet for Pete
  • Pete the Cat: Scuba-Cat
  • Pete the Cat's Train Trip
  • Wiggle
  • Pete the Cat and the Tip-Top Tree House
  • Pete the Cat and the Cool Caterpillar
  • Bark, George
  • The Pigeon Wants a Puppy!
  • The Watermelon Seed
  • Llama Llama Misses Mama
Eric Litwin (Mr. Eric) is a guitar strumming, book writing, harmonica blowing, song singing, folksy, fun type of guy. He is the # 1 New York Times Best Selling author of the first four Pete the Cat picture books and the author of the new musical series The Nuts. Eric's books have sold over 1.5 million copies, been translated into seven languages and won 15 state and national awards including a The ...more

Pete the Cat (1 - 10 of 49 books)
  • Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes
  • Pete the Cat and the Cool Cat Boogie
  • Pete the Kitty and the Groovy Playdate
  • Pete the Cat and the Perfect Pizza Party
“Did Pete cry? Goodness no. Buttons come, and buttons go.” 16 likes
“I guess it simply goes to show that stuff will come and stuff will go. But do we cry? Goodness, NO! We keep on singing.” 4 likes