Start by marking “Megachange: The World in 2050” as Want to Read:
Megachange: The World in 2050

Megachange: The World in 2050

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  250 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
A look at the fundamental trends that are changing the world, from the experts at The Economist "Megatrends" are great forces in societal development that have profound impacts on states, markets, and civil society in the now and for the years to come. They can effectively be employed as a starting point for analyzing our world. Megachange: The World in 2050 looks at these ...more
Published March 27th 2012 by Wiley (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Megachange, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Megachange

Jmcdaniel_ee
Dec 24, 2012 rated it did not like it
"Predictions about the future that don't assume the global system in which we currently live will be changing much at all; also absent are any arguments defending the unlikelihood of such change."

Although I'm not a normal reader of the Economist, and have a very anti-statist mentality, this work in my opinion only ponders change assuming that the current system of international power continues unchanged. What do I mean? There is no mention of certain seemingly inevitable trends (even if it is si
Florin Pitea
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Concise, clear, well organised, supported with graphs and charts. A pleasure to read. I can hardly wait to begin the next volume in the sequence, Megatech. Recommended.
Bjørn André Haugland
Apr 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Incredibly interesting variety of predictions for the future. While it's said that predictions say more about the present of the author than the actual future, I think the sum of this book is more than that. There is such a wide range of topics covered by a multitude of authors that I could recommend it to anyone, there is food for thought no matter what your interest is.

I'd like to especially highlight the article 'Of predictions and progress: more for less' by Matt Ridley: It succinctly summed
Jessica Gaskin
May 06, 2012 marked it as to-read
I have downloaded this book after listening to an extremely interesting presentation by Dr Bellini (Futurist) at my work's annual conference. Dr Bellini spoke of technological advances, social shifts and geographical changes that sounded to me like science fiction. Then he revealed that they were all likely to happen before I had retired. Many of the developments, particularly in technology, have already started and are science fact rather than fiction. His talk left me inspired to learn more ab ...more
Yen Chin
書內引用了足夠分量的歷史資料使我們理解未來,除了某些章節(特別是最後面氣候問題仍待驗證外),基本上描繪出了未來極有可能呈現的藍圖。分成二十章節,從不同角度切入,簡潔地提供了國際版圖與不同領域的樣貌。

然而裡面仍有許多地方沒有提供足夠的解釋,如美國現今(2017年)的對立,以及阿拉伯之春後續導致的難民問題(且書中認為阿拉伯之春完全是獨裁問題,完全忽略西方的金融風暴導致的全球貧富差距急速擴大的影響。)此外氣候累積的災難,在書中略過不談且提不出真正能使人信服的數據。)

最無法使人接納的是最後一章,我們之所以可以成功生存在現在的環境,有很大一部分是因為過去的人提出了危險的預言,我們才能夠避開這些問題;此外別忘了,世上仍有如1984、The Handmaid's Tale,這些偉大的作家提出了最危險的預言,而這些都成真了。作者用幾句話就抹煞了大部人的努力,現在氣候變遷毀掉了波多黎各,賭城發生史上最嚴重槍擊案件,作者可以說整體而言情況會隨發展改善,但只看著他自己手上的數據,完全忽視放在眼前的問題,對於落後區域與逐漸累加極端主義視而不見。
Mark J  Easton
Jul 26, 2017 rated it liked it
A foray into futurology for the layperson taking a broad look at various megatrends that might affect the world by 2050. An enjoyable look at the future, mixing a number of contemporary quantitative trends with some long term thinking to make some believable predictions about various domains, including economics, religion, technology, and demography.

But as informative as I found the book, I've rated it down a tad as many of the chapters felt a little tl;dr.
Ton Nguyen
Nov 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Many authors contributed to Megachange and as a result the book was rather hit-and-miss for me. Some chapters were too superficial for my taste as they failed to explain the drivers behind certain trends. I also think some graphs could have clearer titles or labels.
Tariq Mustafa
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting compilation of 20+ long articles each ending with an outlook till 2050. The reward of the entire book was the dispelling of the gloomy outlook (viz a viz climate change, robotics etc) in the final two chapters.
Cem Yüksel
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Gelecek ile ilgili farklı başlıkları , sadece teknoloji değil toplum bazında irdeleyen ve araştırmalara dayalı referans olabilecek bir kitap.
Kirill Igumenshchev
fun read. good as far as futuristic books go. the predictions seem reasonable.
Christopher Mcdermott
Very interesting book. A bit out of date in some areas but goes well with a book from the same authors Megatech.
Brenda
Jan 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
As a change of pace from the fiction that I usually read, I have been slowly working my way through Megachange: The World in 2050. Every year The Economist puts out “The World in…” but Megachange jumps ahead to 2050 and asks their contributors to give us insights and predictions of what lies ahead for us in the next 40 years. I said I was slowly working my through it, and that is not because it is not interesting-quite the contrary, it is one of the most stimulating books I have read in quite aw ...more
Tomislav Tomašević
Nezahvalan posao proricanja budućnosti uvijek zaslužuje najvišu ocjenu. Kao što je nekad bilo teško predviđati budućnost iz kristalne kugle, danas je to možda još i teže iz silicijske. Možda će do 2050 ili čak i puno ranije ova knjiga postati primjerak pustih promašaja, ali danas služi kao nadahnuće za tu, ipak blisku budućnost.
Podijeljena u četiri djela i dvadeset poglavlja s autorima iz časopisa Economist, knjiga nastoji anticipirati današnje društveno - tehnološke trendove i projicirati ih u
Sergei_kalinin
Feb 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for_soul
Качественная футурология от авторов журнала Economist по 20 темам - начиная от планетарной экологии, заканчивая бытовыми инновациями :)

Местами иллюстративная математика, но грузят не сильно :) Местами с юмором, что также радует. В плане охвата мега-трендов - очень хорошая (полная) подборка. Заставляет крепко задуматься!

Из минусов:

1) Широта в ущерб глубине - некоторые тренды (по моему разумению оч.любопытные) затронуты лишь вскользь. Некоторые темы настолько поверхностно прописаны (например, во
Henry Barry
Created by the Economist magazine, with each chapter written by an Economist staff member, this book is an extrapolation of current trends to predict what the world will be like in 2050. In addition to giving interesting predictions, the book gives a very good look at current trends and statistics, covering everything from population and gender roles to the uses of technology and economic development. The best part was the final chapter, which explained how people have always foreseen doom in th ...more
Joe Beer
Sep 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
The book is well researched as you would expect from the authors, most if not all of them are linked to the Economist.

They cover multiple topics and start with a history of the topic and then what they expect will happen in the next few decades. No real earth shattering insights, but an enjoyable reminder if the challenges we face and may face in future.
Anton
Jul 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I actually loved the book, despite its dry style (those Brits sure can write dry prose! :-)) In any case, it is a really interesting book about the future. Definitely worth a read as it is a serious, non-sensationalistic look at what can happen by 2050. A lot of things would stay the same, BTW, and that actually seems likely.
Chris Graham
The provenance of this book speaks volumes - the editors of and writers for "The Economist". In its 4 major sections it presents a series of interesting, authoritative, informative and well-informed essays on what the world, and life in it, could be like in 2050.
Colin
Aug 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: extfriendly
I liked that this was realistic about its own predictive power. Crystal balls were gazed into, but the reliability of crystal balls in general was called into question and so there was no sense that I was being sold a load of sci-fi disguised as reporting.
Andrew
Jul 08, 2012 rated it liked it

Ehhh
Bryan
Feb 03, 2016 added it
Sort of interesting, but I tend to be more of the mindset of creating the future rather than fatalistically accepting predictions based on current trends.
Kulturozpyt Prumerny
Good, but not excellent. I am used to similar read in The Economist, So I haven't read anything new.
Julien
Interesting read. Does not really match the rational optimist, physics of the future or the future babble. It lacks depth and tries to make for it by including all and everything.
Ülle Hilep
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Väga hea võimalus mõtiskleda aeglasemate trendide peale, mis maailmas toimumas, ja igapäevaselt väga silma ei torka. Hea tõlge, tekst ei ole liiga kuiv ja sobib täiesti õhtulugemiseks.
Sean
  • Sex on Earth: A Celebration of Animal Reproduction
  • Cognitive Behavioral Therapy: Techniques for Retraining Your Brain
  • Francis Crick: Discoverer of the Genetic Code
  • Honourable Friends?: Parliament and the Fight for Change
  • Conversations with Lee Kuan Yew: Citizen Singapore: How to Build a Nation (Giants of Asia series)
  • Animal Behavior: An Evolutionary Approach
  • A Song for Nagasaki: The Story of Takashi Nagai: Scientist, Convert, and Survivor of the Atomic Bomb
  • Advice To A Young Scientist

$12.99 $3.99
    $15.99 $2.99
  • By Myself and Then Some
    $11.74 $1.99
  • The Fifth Agreement: A Practical Guide to Self-Mastery (A Toltec Wisdom Book)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • Wish You Happy Forever: What China's Orphans Taught Me About Moving Mountains
    $14.74 $1.99
  • The Return: Fathers, Sons and the Land in Between
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Prize: Who's in Charge of America's Schools?
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Smoke and Pickles: Recipes and Stories from a New Southern Kitchen
    $18.95 $2.99
  • Founding Mothers
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation (Kindle Edition)
  • Around My French Table: More Than 300 Recipes from My Home to Yours
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Ida: A Sword Among Lions
    $8.24 $2.99
  • A Natural History of the Senses (Vintage)
  • Unsinkable: A Memoir
    $9.24 $1.99
  • The Big House: A Century in the Life of an American Summer Home
  • The Other Wes Moore: One Name, Two Fates
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Coaching Habit: Say Less, Ask More & Change the Way You Lead Forever
    $7.95 $2.49
“Finally, gatekeepers still matter. Technology makes it easier for people to listen to any kind of music they like, but digital availability and ubiquity are steering them increasingly to the biggest hits, not the niches. Bloggers and podcasters and tweeters have shaken up purveyors of news, but not replaced them. Book publishers, art dealers and film producers will still play the biggest role in what gets bought, read, contemplated and listened to.” 0 likes