Start by marking “The Trilisk Ruins (Parker Interstellar Travels, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Trilisk Ruins (Parker Interstellar Travels, #1)

The Trilisk Ruins

(Parker Interstellar Travels #1)

Telisa Relachik studied to be a xenoarchaeologist in a future where humans have found alien artifacts but haven't ever encountered live aliens. Of all the aliens whose extinct civilizations are investigated, the Trilisks are the most advanced and the most mysterious.

Telisa refuses to join the government because of her opposition to its hard-handed policies rest
Published January 19th 2014 by Squidlord LLC (first published December 21st 2005)

Start your review of The Trilisk Ruins (Parker Interstellar Travels, #1)
Anna
Feb 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I've gotta tell you, I nearly didn't make it past the first page. Chapter one, paragraph one: Telisa checking herself out in a mirror and describing herself to the reader in some detail. I sighed and nearly put it down right there, but talked myself into continuing because this was a book about space archaeologists. I'm happy to report it did get better from there, which I suppose says something about first impressions, but since that's not really what we're here to dissect, we'll skip over that ...more
Ron
Mar 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Excellent. Well conceived and well written. (Could have used one more review by a human editor.)

I love well-done first contact books. And this is that.

One criticism of all first contact books: even the good ones like this agonize through the initial contact/ relationship/ communication, then rush forward as if all issues of context and language magically disappear. I suspect--super-intelligent aliens and computers notwithstanding--it won't be so.

It ends like t
D.M. Dutcher
May 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
An interesting alien can't really save a pedestrian book. Telisa is an xenoarcheologist answering a job offer that turns out to be for a smuggling corp. She accepts, and goes with them to a planet that is rumored to contain Trilisk ruins. But the United Stations Space Force is also there, and smuggling is a death sentence when caught. The smugglers, the UNSF, and a marooned alien must deal with the puzzle of the ruins, a shape-changing facility that might be more of a prison than an archeologica ...more
Maarten Hofman
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Although not as developed as the more profound Insidious, the Trilisk Ruins is easy to read and is probably McCloskey's most accessible book. It also has the benefit of being part of a series, in which the books really only get better, and due to their success, is likely to continue. Like all of McCloskey's books the Trilisk Ruins is professionally edited and available at a reasonably low price.
Pete Brown
Jul 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Quite awesome. I stumbled on it from a web comic I read and it seemed interesting.
It was a little slow to start but got so intriguing I could not put it down. I even got distracted from adding it to my reading shelf.
The second one is looking just as awesome.
The aliens and tech are well though out and there is actual science.
Well worth a read if you like that sort of thing.
Brett Roller
Sep 12, 2012 rated it liked it
My new-found interest in Kindle-based sci-fi novels is leading me to tackle books I never thought I’d touch. A friend of mine had a mom who was obsessed with science fiction novels when we were kids. They had this really neat library balcony type thing and it was full of dime store novels in which the captain always looses his shirt in fights and runs off with the alien girl. At the time I thought it was all cheesy to the extreme. I held a similar view of tv shows in the genre until my brother g ...more
Kio
Sep 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-english
After enjoying a few of McCloskey's other titles, I figured I should take a look at what seems to be his most popular novel. It's not bad, but to be honest I preferred the others.

It starts out OK enough, following an alien later nicknamed "Shiny." And the one thing really done well is that the alien isn't anthropomorphized at all - making aliens humanoid with a few tweaks in appearance and culture is, alas, something most sci-fi is all too guilty of. Shiny isn't like that at all, and
Dan
Dec 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: signal, indie
I found this book by clicking an ad on a webcomic site.

It had its moments of interesting scifi. The aliens were nicely done but the humans were a bit flat. For most of the story they didn't seem to have a coherent goal other than to survive, and (when survival was not an immediate problem) to poke at alien artifacts with sticks.

(view spoiler) ...more
Emily Leathers
Acceptable premise, fairly interesting plot, but I had a lot of trouble connecting with the story at more than just-a-story level. I enjoyed the characterizations of the aliens.

One thing that drove me a little crazy was the author's insistence on explaining that characters were accessing their link each time they stared off into space. It felt insulting that he didn't expect me to be able to remember that, and it broke up the flow of the narrative. If he really thought it was going t
Daniel Lemire
May 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
In the Trilisk Ruins, Michael McCloskey describes a far future universe where human beings have encountered alien ruins on diverse planets.
These ruins have obvious commercial values: alien artifacts are immensely valuable. Meanwhile, the government has restricted access to these ruins to its own military. The main character is a xenoarchaeologist who is frustrated by the lack of access to these new findings. She decides to embark with a bunch of pirates/mercenaries who hope to visit new al
Peter
Aug 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book, I found it by clicking a link down the side of facebook (not ordinarily something I ever take for a recommendation). Despite its dubious origin I quickly found myself absorbed and by the time I'd read the first three chapters I was off to order (and pay priority postage) for part two. The aliens are ALIEN, the human society is frankly fascinating, and the entire premise of the books leaves me curious for more.
Dan Carey
Some judicious editing to remove needlessly, pointlessly, repetitively redundant content would have made this more enjoyable. It is a pity to need to lead with that comment, but readers should know that if they press on they'll be rewarded with an intriguing alien and some cool speculative science. The writing definitely improves as the story unfolds.
Thibaldo Manrique
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable

A really good book. Great plot and great characters. Fast paced end very interesting. A must read. You will enjoy it.
Erin
Aaaaaaaaaaaand it's my first Kindle freebie trash book of the year!

Yeah, I was not expecting this one to be any good. When it comes to Kindle freebies, there are only a couple of ready explanations for why a company is giving away a book they could be getting money for, and these tend to come down to either 1) it's public domain, or 2) it's not good enough to be trusted to make a profit on its own merits, so they'll give away the first book in the hopes that it'll be enough to get potential readers hooked on the rest of th
Larry B Gray
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Read

It took me a while to get into the story but when I did, wow. This turned into a great read I could not put down. The author did a great job with the character development, making them both real and believable. The action was fast and non-stop.

I really like this book and highly recommend it.
Ben Wade
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
amazing for a first novel. Great world-building

While I like to give new authors a chance, I have high standards. This book met them. It is well written (despite a few awkward word-choices) and well edited. The best part of this novel and potentially the series, is it's good use of the idea of integrated technology. While it's disappointing to see that the author has ignored the undoubted life extension technologies that will soon be in use, his vision of people being intimately linked to their enviro
John
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi
2019 grade B+

A SciFi adventure, similar to the old "space ranger" stories famous authors from the mid 20th century had to write to get published. Those same authors forced SciFi to more adult levels. This novel takes advantage of that because it is considerably more sophisticated and modern.

The only portion of the story that slowed down for me was when they were trapped in the maze. I pretty much knew what was going on from life experience, and it repeats itself a bit too much. It t
Erika L. Monterroza
Fascinating, enjoyable read

I enjoyed this first in a series about humans' interactions with a non-humanoid alien. Good dialogue and plotlines. I look forward to reading the next book in the series!
J Walsh
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing! More Xeno-archaeology please!

Fantastic read great characters and well developed alien cultures!
Truely an outer space adventure of excitement and wonder! On to the next book!
Brad
Mar 10, 2017 added it
Great read

Can't wait to read more about these characters. The description of the stories current filter and collect alien artifacts is very entertaining
Nicky Kyle
Jun 13, 2017 rated it liked it
The good news is that the alien species, technology, culture, etc all seem to be interesting and nicely developed -- at least given the caveat that this is the first part of a series, and one can only expect so much exposition to be included in the opening book; some details have to be left unrevealed for future teasing-out...but what we get in here is all quite promising and makes me interested to discover more. All three of the species we catch a glimpse of seem to have their own individual an ...more
Steven
Feb 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is one of those rare books that suffers not from being bad, but from being too close too good for its own good. Oh, and a lot of repetition of some words and phrases.

The plot is a little mundane and ordinary (though not boring to read). Telisa is hired by a group of high-class smugglers to visit a new planet and gather some government-forbidden alien artifacts to sell on the black market for lots of money. She is immediately attracted to Magnus, the military guy in their cozy li
Steve Poling
Dec 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I thing Michael McCloskey gets the balance right in "The Trilisk Ruins" (5 stars). The gubmint is the antagonist and it doesn't matter whether the administration is Republican or Democrat. (Both parties signed onto the USA PATRIOT Act after all.) The heroes are "criminals" who aim to misbehave. They spend a fair amount of time when they're in civilization scrubbing logs of incriminating evidence and bribing bureaucrats to overlook minor infractions. And they find the Feds like to infect everyone ...more
Diego Elio Pettenò
I found the book in the most unexpected of ways, through a side ad on a dating site, I gave it a go without knowing anything about it because it was nearly free in ebook. It was the best ad I ever clicked on.

While it starts a bit confusing by jumping straight into a very alien environment, it builds up quickly to be a fast paced and fast reader book; while the characters at first might appear obvious, it takes but a moment to realize they are anything but.

And Michael does
James
Apr 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I found The Trilisk Ruins to be an interesting start to a story. The author didn't focus too deeply on trying to explain the science of what was going on. And in some aspects it felt a little rushed, but overall I would say that I did enjoy the story.

The story focuses around Telisa Relachik, a Xenoarchaeologist in a time frame where Earth is being run by an oppressive government that appears to have grown out of the United Nations.

The United Nations Space Force controls e
Stuart Gathman
Aug 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Two things I liked: an attempt to describe a truly alien psychology and thought process, and an interesting gun control idea.

The gun control idea is that guns of all types from hand guns to machine guns to bazookas are legal, provided they incorporate a government approved forensic device that records everything you shoot at, and uploads the data to government servers at every opportunity (and the 'net is everywhere on civilized planets). (I'm not sure the recording device would have shown anyt
Mandy Walkden-Brown
Jolly interesting read.
Fairly slow moving in places, but it does allow one to learn more about what's happening with various Earth factions and the other planets now being explored.
Interesting tech and some strong characters, even if their occupation as alien artefact smugglers is somewhat dubious. My favourite was Shiny, the not so cuddly alien, probably because he was very different to most I've come across in my years of reading science fiction.
Intriguing enough that I have
steven
Feb 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
A quick, somewhat enjoyable read. The best parts are when the narrative switches to an alien perspective. The alien minds are the most developed of the characters, even though we spend most of the story with humans.

Every sentence felt a little stilted and unnatural, grating slightly against one another, like a second draft. It's not a bad story, but it does seem as it could benefit from more polish.
Debbie Scott
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic Sci-fi Read

Wow, what a ride for the first book. Your imagination greatly outpaces mine, I had to read a few chapters twice to get my head to grasp technology concepts you were using to somewhat understand the tunnels. Thank you for the great story and characters, Danny Scott.
John
Jun 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Positively channeling Hal Clement for style, character types and overall tone, the author sets up a FIrst Contact between humans and a centipede-like, "Mission of Gravity" style alien within a strange ruin left by yet another alien species. Aside from an amateurishly done romantic subplot, not bad, not bad...credibly alien aliens, lots of futuristic and exotic tech, steady-on pacing.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Into Everywhere
  • The Apocalypse Ocean (Xenowealth #4)
  • Natural History
  • Exodus (Dead Planet #1)
  • Naero's Run (A Spacer Clans Adventure, #1)
  • Requiem (The Eternal Gateway, #1)
  • The Kaiser Affair (The Drifting Isle Chronicles #1)
  • Some of the Best from Tor.com: 2012 Edition
  • Caged By The Alien (Celestial Mates, #4)
  • The Spider and the Fly (The Spiderverse Saga, #1)
  • Forgotten Suns
  • The Citadel of Weeping Pearls
  • The Cestus Concern (Weir Codex, #1)
  • Salvage Rights (Distant Worlds, #2)
  • Alien Architect's Bride (Draconians, #5)
  • Gift of the Destroyer (The Hunter in the Dark, #1)
  • Dan and Frankie Save the World
  • Zypheria's call (Tanyth Fairport, #2)
I am a software engineer in Silicon Valley who dreams of otherworldly creatures, mysterious alien planets, and fantastic adventures. I'm also an indie author with over 111,000 paid sales.

Visit http://www.squidlord.us for more information.

You can subscribe to announcements of my new releases here: http://eepurl.com/nExcb

Parker Interstellar Travels (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Trilisk AI (Parker Interstellar Travels, #2)
  • The Trilisk Supersedure (Parker Interstellar Travels, #3)
  • The Trilisk Hunt (Parker Interstellar Travels, #4)
  • The Trilisk Revolution (Parker Interstellar Travels, #5)
  • The Celaran Ruins (Parker Interstellar Travels, #6)
  • The Celaran Probe (Parker Interstellar Travels, #7)
  • The Celaran Refuge (Parker Interstellar Travels, #8)
  • The Celaran Solution (Parker Interstellar Travels, #9)
  • The Celaran Pact (Parker Interstellar Travels, #10)
  • The Rovan Ruins (Parker Interstellar Travels Book 11)
“Three reasons: you need to know how the technique fails, you need to be able to perform it under stress, and you have to lose your fear of discomfort.” Discomfort. He means my fear of pain.” 0 likes