Start by marking “Darkness Before Dawn (Darkness Before Dawn Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Darkness Before Dawn (Darkness Before Dawn Trilogy, #1)

Darkness Before Dawn (Darkness Before Dawn Trilogy #1)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  11,920 Ratings  ·  874 Reviews
The first book in a romantic and drama-packed trilogy perfect for fans of Rachel Vincent, Julie Kagawa, and Alyson Noel.

At seventeen, Dawn Montgomery knows that monsters really do come out at night—after all, they are her job. It’s just after the thirty-years war between vampires and humans, and as an ambassador between the two sides (a role she inherited when her parents
Published May 29th 2012 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Darkness Before Dawn, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Pallak Bammi i have only read the 1st book yet so i can't really say if she does become a vampire or not but yes he BIT her . and 99.9 percent i think she is a…morei have only read the 1st book yet so i can't really say if she does become a vampire or not but yes he BIT her . and 99.9 percent i think she is a VAMPIRE!!!!!!!!!.(less)
Megan Jones It's not really a love triangle because she already knows whom she wants. trust me I hate love triangles as well and there are none really in this…moreIt's not really a love triangle because she already knows whom she wants. trust me I hate love triangles as well and there are none really in this bool.(less)

Taschima
Nov 10, 2011 marked it as to-read
Okay, why do you have to essentially copy the cover of the Fallen series? When I look at this book I can only think "The Fallen Series" and that ain't a compliment. Originality is also highly valued by customers.

ALSO HOLD YOUR HORSES, is this summary strangely alike Julie Kagawa's new vampire series, The Immortal Rules? Dystopian world where vampires have control over the humans and humans have to give them their blood to survive?

I. AM. WATCHING. YOU... And I'm not amused.
Ashwood, 불
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
It's rather unfair, really. Any post-apocalyptic vampire fiction I read these days pales next to Julie Kagawa's series. Dawn (get it??!! Sunlight! Vampires! Ok, I'm done) is a likeable character. She has had to grow up pretty quickly, becoming the delegation to the city's vampire leader, Lord Valentine, at the very young and unrealistic age of 17. Her parents were killed in an ambush towards the beginning of the book, and it is hinted that Dawn is SPESHUL.

She's not.

I've finished the book and I d
Sh3lly ⚔ tired of damaged heroines ⚔
The premise is very interesting. Humans started a war with vampires - and lost. Now, they are confined in cities behind walls, while the vampires control everything else. If they leave the wall, they are fair game. They are also expected (but not forced) to provide blood for the vampires living outside the walls. If there isn't enough blood provided, the elite "born" vampires who control the "lessers" (turned vampires) get angry. There is a delegate who works with the House vampire to reach agre ...more
Onirica
Is dissapointing to see many readers judging the books because its cover is similar to the Fallen series.
I really hope this book is better than Fallen series (I'm not a fan of Lauren Kate, I was very frustrated to have spent my money in a book so bad written!). I do not expect so much from this one, even if is by another writer (Actually, I never expect anything from american literature...), but I hope it changes my POV.

********

Reading finished on June 1st.
Review upcoming.
Andrea
Mar 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing

So I'm just going to come out and say it. I loved this book. I loved everything about it: the characters, the plot, the dangerous world...everything.

Let me start with the world-building. I would consider DARKNESS BEFORE DAWN to be a post-apocalyptic/dystopian crossover, heavier on the post-apocalyptic.Many of the post-apocalyptic books that I've read have been vague in that respect. In DARKNESS BEFORE DAWN, you learn exactly what happened to bring about the bleak existence humans endure. I don'
Ferdy
Jul 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
1.5 stars - spoilers

Seventeen year old Dawn Montgomery lives in the city of Denver surrounded by walls. The walls were built to keep vampires out after a 30 year war between humans and vampires devastated both sides. A treaty was forged between the two - in exchange for vampires not attacking the human, humans donated blood. After her parents death, Dawn is chosen to be the delegate between the city of Denver and the vampire, Lord Valentine. Hijinks ensues.

-I found most of the book to be largel
hayden
Darkness Before Dawn.

Haha, the title is a pun on the heroine's name! How not cute.

The book started off with an ice-monster prologue that did relatively nothing to entice me and made me realize that the next 350 pages were going to be loooooooooooooong.

Let's start off with our main character, conveniently named Dawn. Dawn is the second-most boring female protagonist I've ever read, only behind Lucinda Price. The best internal line she had in the book was "He was a damn vampire!"

Seriously.

That's i
Natalie Monroe
Today started out as a really good day.

I didn't have any morning classes so I could sleep in late. I got some good news on the writing front and found out that a contest I entered had very few entrants, so more chances to win. Yay!

So I was feeling pretty pumped by the time I got to class and relayed my good news to a guy friend of mine. Somehow, we got on the topic of his opinion on my writing, which I had let him read a while back. He frankly advised me to stop writing because of "spiritual war
Sophia Sardothien
Just another typical paranormal romance. OH "human and vampire relationships never end well" damn I know. The protagonist Dawn annoys the hell out of me, meanwhile I do like victor I just wanna punch Michael in the face. AND YEAH ITS A LOVE TRIANGLE DEAL WITH IT XD

Oh the romance is so forced...
Victor goes like : i Always wanna see the sun and once I though I saw the sun but it was a girl
Dawn: blushes
Insta love alert INSTA LOVE ALERT YEAH YEAH

Overall this book doesn't make sense and the plot
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
With all the overused, over done tropes and cliches in this genre, not to mention I was over vampires about two years ago, I wasn't going to pick this series up but, it's been on my kindle for a really long time and it's been awhile since I have read about vamps in the YA setting so I thought, why not.

Kind of glad that I did actually. This was surprisingly entertaining and while maybe not completely original, it was good and pretty page turning worthy. Definitely worth the time it takes to read
Christen (GoldiloxReads and Whimsify)
Eh. Sorry to say I didn't really love Darkness Before Dawn. I thought as I was reading it that the reason I wasn't into it might be because I recently read, and adored, The Immortal Rules which is extremely similar. Its hard not to make comparisons between the two dystopian vampire books, and in the end The Immortal Rules wins hands down.

But my lack of enjoyment wasn't just because of the comparison. I just didn't like the story. I had very high expectations and am disappointed that this one fel
Suzanne
Jan 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dystopian, vampires
I was really looking forward to reading Darkness Before Dawn so when I sat down on a Sunday afternoon to start this book it was with excitement and anticipation. But unfortunately, it couldn't hold my attention and the slightest little thing was distracting me. Thankfully, about a third of the way in, things really kicked up a notch and I was fully engrossed in the remainder of the book.

Dawn Montgomery is only 17 years old, when her parents are assassinated following a meeting with the head vam
Steph
Darkness Before Dawn introduces us to Dawn. Nine years after the end of a thirty-year war between humans and vampires, the death of Dawn's parents leads to her becoming the youngest Agency delegate. As a delegate she is responsible for meeting with "one of the most powerful vampires in the world: Lord Valentine" to discuss, well, blood.
As a part of the VampHu Treaty that ended the war, humans in the cities supply blood to the vampires on the outside. In return the vampires don't attack the ci
Emily Blake
*An ARC was provided by Harper Collins in exchange for an honest review*

When I first started this book I loved it. It had huge potential, was fast-paced, and kick-butt. And then it…wasn’t.

This book had everything going for it: plot, idea, setting, everything. And then, it kind of ruined it. The writing was never amazing, but I was willing to overlook that if the other aspects of the book lived up to their full potential. They didn’t. The idea was amazing. I loved the setting, a dystopian world w
Katie
Nov 17, 2011 rated it it was ok
Similar Books: The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa, The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda

This was an interesting read for me. There were bits that I liked a lot, then some that didn't really impress me. Maybe I'm sick of vampires. Or dystopians. Or both. But I was a little disappointed with this one.

First things that I did like: the setting and worldbuilding. Honestly, that was my favorite part of the book. I liked the world that the "J.A. London" crafted here, with vampires pretty much ruling the world and
Hannah
Jul 11, 2015 rated it liked it
When I first started this I wasn't sure if I was going to like it or not. Dawn was a bit annoying with her not trusting issues. No matter how many times Victor proved himself to her she wouldn't trust him. However, as the book went along she got better. Ever since Sin showed up I just had this feeling that he would be trouble and the ending proved me right. Speaking of the ending I will tell you that it was full of surprises and left me wanting to read the next book.
Jan 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm going to start right off with the world building because it was very well done and important to all other aspects of the story. There was a huge war with humans and vampires which left the world devastated. Vampires won as I guess would be expected so the VampHu treaty was put in place. The cities are all surrounded by huge walls. Vamps on the outside, humans on the inside. Technology has been destroyed. Little communication and travel between the cities. There is one train that goes through ...more
Katelyn
Feb 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
I've got myself a new favorite read everybody! I couldn't turn the pages fast enough in this one. I can't say that I found this to be a surprise, but I was really excited to learn that despite all the hype that I was experiencing before getting my hands on a copy of this to read, I discovered that it wasn't in vain. This new title lived up to the jazz and then some.

J.A. London makes up the mother-son writing team of Jan and Alex Nowasky. Jan also writes under the name of Rachel Hawthorne and is
Lina
Thank you Harper Collins for sending me this book.

If I were a different person I probably would have enjoyed this book, but unfortunately this book did not fit my tastes in any way.

In this futuristic dystopian society in which humanity is reeling from a past war with Vampires that humans lost. As a result, a treaty was brokered between Lord Valentine, an Old Family vampire, and the humans. Walls were built in order to keep vampires out of cities, but in return humans were required to donate blo
Savannah (Books With Bite)
Nov 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book really had me hooked. Written beautifully, I am able to step into a world of darkness and full of blood driven vampires.

I have to say that the new books that are coming out with vampires are certainly coming out fresh and new. I loved that this book contains elements of dystopia as well as paranormal. Nothing is old. Everything is fresh and totally addicting. The plot is the best part of the book. We have delegate who meets with the vampire lord and negotiates. I love this idea right h
NiCoLeTa E.
Nov 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ήταν απίστευτο! Το λάτρεψα όσο δε πάει άλλο... Με συνεπήρε η ιστορία της Dawn και του Victor... Πάω σφαίρα για το δεύτερο βιβλίο... Δε μπορώ να περιμένω άλλο..
Estelle
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
Actual rating: 1.5 stars

I finished this book within a few hours after borrowing it from the library. It was probably a bad idea to read this after The Coldest Girl in Coldtown as both have pretty similar flaws, only they are even more emphasised here.

I could not care less for the plot and characters, and I felt nothing for Dawn as the main character (I had to look her name up because I had already forgotten it). The descriptions/writing made me roll my eyes so many times and there was nothing th
BookLoversLife
Jan 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-my-shelves
When Vampires revealed themselves to humans it started a 30 year war for supremacy. The war ended and the VampHu treaty was signed. Humans have to donate blood to Vampires and Vampires will stay out of the cities. The Humans built a wall and nobody except the delegate is allowed outside.

Dawn is only young when her parents are killed. They were the Vampire delegates to Lord Valentine. Now the job falls to Dawn to become the new delegate.

Tegan, Dawns best friend, decides one night to go to a par
Christine
I really wanted to love this but it just was awful. The heroine, Dawn, got on my nerves. Tegan, her BFF, the typical "I want to party all day" got on my nerves even more. I have no idea what Victor liked about Dawn.

There is a treaty between the vampire and the humans for the past 30 years. Since Dawn's parents have died, she had become the human's delegate. Even though Dawn is only 17 years old, Lord Valentine (the leader of the vampires) wants only Dawn to delegate. Tegan and Dawn leave the wa
Mimi Valentine
EDIT: Hmmm... It was kind of too standard for me -- standard romance, lack of chemistry, no surprises, okay main character -- but I felt no connection and it took me longer than expected to finish. Still, it was by no means a bad book! Just... not the greatest!

Review to come :)

I just found out that part of J.A. London is part Rachel Hawthorne, who wrote the Dark Guardian series! Cool, right?? :)
Maria
Jan 29, 2013 rated it did not like it
Oh my, this book was a bit of a catastrophe. I saw the cover and thought "Hmmm, another entertaining albiet generic paranormal romance" Was it generic? Yes. Entertaining? No. I got about 40 pages in before realizing that the writing was too terrible to be enjoyed, it was horribly cheesy and frankly, a little bit annoying.
Rachel
Jan 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
When vampires and humans went to war there would only be one victor. The vampires. A treaty was enacted to keep the peace. And as long as the voluntary blood donations continued, the humans within the walled cities would remain safe. Protected.

But with the passage of time, many people forgot their promises and refused to give their blood freely. And as the human population began to dwindle, food supplies became limited and many vampires were left starving.

Attacks on the cities increased. Safety
Shelley
Feb 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
*Rating* 4 stars
*Genre* YA Paranormal/Dystopian

J.A. London’s Darkness before Dawn is the first novel in a promising new series that features a world where vampires have won the 30 year war against humans and now live by an agreement called the Vamp-Hu Treaty. In accordance with the treaty, humans are required to provide blood to the vampires and in return, the vampires agreed not to attack any of the remaining US cities. Not all humans are agreeable to the treaty which leads to complications. Th
Justin
Jun 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
As far as YA vampire books go, Darkness Before Dawn was fairly decent. I don't really feel as though it was amazing, but it was an enjoyable read. It mentions several vampire related series in the synopsis, all of which I haven't read yet, so I don't really know if it pulls many elements from them or not. But of the Vampire books I have read, I easily spotted quite a few similarities. I feel like the mother son duo did a good job making the story their own though, even though I didn't really pic ...more
  • Chosen Ones (The Lost Souls, #1)
  • What Kills Me (What Kills Me, #1)
  • Taste
  • Dark Kiss (Nightwatchers, #1)
  • Black City (Black City, #1)
  • Blood Born (Blood Prophecy, #1)
  • A Temptation of Angels
  • Starling (Starling, #1)
  • Hemlock (Hemlock, #1)
  • Silver (Bandia, #1)
  • Dark Companion
  • Falling to Ash (Moth, #1)
  • When the Sea Is Rising Red (Hobverse #1)
  • Destiny's Fire (Kythan Guardians)
  • The Hunt (The Hunt, #1)
  • Incarnation
  • Auracle
  • Touched (Sense Thieves, #1)
J.A. London is the mother-son writing team of Rachel Hawthorne and her son, Alex London. Rachel has written many novels for teens, including the popular Dark Guardian series. Alex, a recent graduate with a degree in Historical Studies, enjoys combining history and fiction to create unique worlds. The Darkness Before Dawn series is their first joint project.
More about J.A. London

Darkness Before Dawn Trilogy (3 books)
  • Blood-Kissed Sky (Darkness Before Dawn Trilogy, #2)
  • After Daybreak (Darkness Before Dawn Trilogy, #3)

Young Adult Deals

• A History of Glitter and Blood
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • This Is the Story of You
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Long May She Reign
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Don't Get Caught
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • So B. It
    $6.74 $1.99
  • The Rogue Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cloaked in Red
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fire and Bone (Otherborn, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Things I Can't Forget (Hundred Oaks, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Romeo Catchers (The Casquette Girls #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Black and Green (The Ghost Bird, #11)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Last Girl (The Dominion Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • By Your Side
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue
    $9.99 $2.99
“I like you, Dawn. I've seen a lot of humans, from far away and up close. I've never met one like you. I think you're the closest thing to a sunrise I'll ever see.” 52 likes
“The movie is all illusion. How people wish things were.” 51 likes