Start by marking “Sports Nutrition for Endurance Athletes” as Want to Read:
Sports Nutrition for Endurance Athletes

Sports Nutrition for Endurance Athletes

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  258 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
For any endurance athlete who is committed to better performance, smart nutrition can make the difference between setting a new PR or bonking into a disastrous race result. The fastest athletes are the ones who consider their daily nutrition as carefully as their workouts. Even small improvements in nutrition can deliver better training and faster recovery.

Sports Nutrition
Published March 1st 2007 by Velo Press (first published October 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Sports Nutrition for Endurance Athletes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sports Nutrition for Endurance Athletes

Joshua Thompson
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I've been through this one twice. It's a bible for those who want to eat properly for training for endurance events.
Felix Dacumos
Jan 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent resource for endurance athletes wanting to learn thoroughly about nutrition. When training for an Ironman, it wasn't the swim, bike, or run that scared me - it was the nutrition aspect. Before my race I had done several half Ironman distances. In one of those races I ended up dehydrating between miles 8-9 during the run because of improper nutrition.

Using the help of this book as a resource, I was able to come up with a good nutrition plan that helped me finish my race. This
Rachael
Sep 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Great resource. While I've read a good bit on sports nutrition, it was great to have it pulled together with a focus on endurance sports to make it specific to what I need. In doing so, the author gave me plenty of "lightbulb" moments that gave me tons of insight into what I've been doing wrong (and right!) and why. I wish I'd read it earlier because it would have helped me tweak things to improve my season, but I'm excited to use what I've learned in the coming months to really help me prepare ...more
Lauralea
Jan 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
A great overview for endurance athletes of many varieties. Ryan really knows her stuff and it was refreshing to finally find a nutrition book that exposed some of the larger nutrition myths. I also appreciated the section on supplements and how it showed that there is a company out there measuring the how much of the nutrients are absorbed by the body - that's also a rare find in a nutrition book.
Matt reed
Aug 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Very informative book. I learned a great deal about my body and how it functions in relation to the additional demands being placed upon it due my physical pursuits.

It will serve as a frequent reference guide for my nutritional needs as my endurance goals reach towards higher goals.
Shira
Nov 21, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiber
Ever wondered why you run to the bathroom soon after running? Well let the words "agitated colon" get you started. Really, a helpful, informative book, if it's a bit dense at times, count it as a plus.
Shena
Apr 11, 2008 rated it liked it
I will read this when I become an endurance athlete (which, by the way, I am always planning to do)!
Nikee Huntington
Dec 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My nutrition BIBLE!!
Lisa
May 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book has been super helpful. I can tell a difference in my training this year based on ideas from this book.
Gary D.
Nov 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A much used reference, highly recommended.
Kelli Stephenson
Read like a text book, lots of scientific information and explanation.
Erin
Jan 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
perfect book for anyone looking to do endurance sports. Nutrition is such a big part of exercise. It really opened my eyes to what I should be doing.
Nancy
rated it did not like it
Feb 11, 2012
Jan 11, 2013
tri-ops
Jul 02, 2011
  • The Triathlete's Training Bible
  • Runner's World Performance Nutrition for Runners: How to Fuel Your Body for Stronger Workouts, Faster Recovery, and Your Best Race Times Ever
  • Run Faster from the 5K to the Marathon: How to Be Your Own Best Coach
  • The Runner's Rule Book: Everything a Runner Needs to Know - And Then Some
  • Lore of Running
  • The Complete Book of Running For Women

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »