Start by marking “Be With You” as Want to Read:
Be With You

Be With You

When Takumi's wife suddenly returns from the grave, he can't believe his eyes. How could such a thing be possible? Is she here to stay? Has love miraculously triumphed over death? As Takumi starts looking for answers to these questions, he discovers the secret of his wife's appearance is somehow linked to the past...and the future. ...more
Published February 19th 2008 by VIZ Media LLC (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Be With You, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jie-Ying Phua
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Be With You
Ee Hwee
Jun 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
There are not enough words to describe how awesome this book is!
I finished reading it in 2 hours and it has really taught me a lot about life and love.
My favourite part was Mio's letter. If you knew you would die at the age of 29 but get to be with the man you love and a son you will have, would you choose to live that life? Or would you rather marry some other guy and live till the ripe old age of 80?
Takkun may seem like a quirky guy with all his flaws but you will fall in love with him and be
Noriko
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
As some of you probably know, I don’t normally read Japanese novels. I can be really picky about what I read and truth be told, I didn’t even know this was a translated edition of a Japanese novel which was later made into a movie.
I set out to read this book without knowing almost anything about the premise, but I am glad to say I enjoyed reading this book a lot – much more than I initially expected.

What struck me the most about this book is, the ambiance. This book has got a very distinct flav
Iyah
Jan 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
"Soon I won't be with you any longer, but when the rainy season returns, I will come back to see how the two of you are getting along." -Mio

When Mio died, her husband Takkun and her son Yuji mourned her death and struggled to survive. Takkun is trying to be a father and a mother all at the same time for his son Yuji. For some other widowed fathers this might be an easy thing to do, but for him it's just not. A life without Mio is hardly life at all. But he had to do it for his son. For a year t
Randee
Is time fluid? Are our dreams our real life and our waking life a dream? Does true love never die? Are there parallel universes as well as heaven and hell? Is their filth in the beauty and beauty in the filth?

I don't see why these things can't be true. They are subjects I like to think about over and over even if I will not have the answers to these questions in this time and place. I like stillness. I like to think. I like to read character studies that expand my horizons by turning my sensibil
Gertrude & Victoria
Jan 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: japanese-library
Be With You is a nice sentimental piece by Ichikawa Takuji. The book is a telling presentation of life, love, and chance. It is easy enough to get through in one sitting too, although the pages run up to two-hundred and sixty. This book, described as a "ghost story", isn't the typical ghost story one finds in western or contemporary fiction. This story is much more about life than death, and more about chance than certainty.

Ichikawa's style is simple and straightforward. The characters are norma
Selena
Nov 16, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: popular-culture, 2009
Translated from the Japanese by Terry Gallagher

This story is incredibly sweet. Cavity-inducing sweet. It's a lovely little thing about a widowed man whose sick wife promised to come back to check on him and their son, Yuji, a year after she has died during the rainy season. She tells him she will stay for the rainy season but leave as soon as it ends.

Nearly a year after Mio's death, Takkun and his six-year old son Yuji are living a sad sort of life. Takkun goes to work and wears suits many sizes
Riss
Dec 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is difficult to understand even after ones done reading it. It takes time to fully comprehend exactly what you just read (in a good way) but when you do, youve discovered a little something about yourself and the way you interact with people. This book is one of the best i have read and by far one of the most thought provoking. It makes you think that if you could go back, and change an asspect of your life, would you really? Even if it means you will be able to see or do more, would y ...more
K.
Mar 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a beautiful, heartbreaking story. A year after the death of his wife, Mio, Takumi and his son Yuji are still struggling. When Mio suddenly reappears, alive but with no memory, Takumi and Yuji embrace her without question. Their family reforms, and Takumi and Mio fall in love all over again, if only for a short time. At its heart, this story is about choices: the lives we dream about, the lives that could have been, and the ones we choose, with eyes wide open.
LG (A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions)
[This is an old review I'm just now adding to GR.]

I vaguely remember seeing the cover of this book several years ago and being intrigued. I hoped I would enjoy it, but I've been burned by so many English translations of Japanese novels. Happily, this turned out to be one of the good ones.

Be With You is told primarily from Takumi's perspective. Takumi is a widower with a six-year-old child named Yuji. In the year since his wife died, he has tried to keep going, do his work, and be a good father
Ecem Yücel
Oct 04, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I just bought this in French by impulse. Couldn't find the English version anyway. Let's see if I will be able to read it when I have enough time to read things leisurely and not for a class. ...more
Angelina Nguyễn
An amazing book! I've cried so many times! The Mio's letter part is my favourite! She knew that she will die at 28 but will spend a part of her life with her beloved husband and her British-prince-alike son. If that were you, would you choose to live that life? The book taught me many things about love. I've read this book in Vietnamese version but I'm studying Japanese so that I could read it in the original version because the original is always the best! ...more
Sam Hamadi
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Just wow! I'm shocked! When I started the book I had no idea what I have started. But now I can say this was the sweetest thing I ever read so far!
Julie
Aug 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who like quiet, romantic stories
Recommended to Julie by: umm.. Japanese television?
Shelves: 2008, fantasy, fiction
This is a wonderful book. I got interested in it because when I was in Japan in April 2006, my friend D and I watched the film version on TV in our hotel. We didn't really know what was going on because there were no subtitles, so we could only catch some dialogue now and again, but the quiet feeling of the movie really spoke to me. I kept checking into it, and eventually found out that Viz Media was translating the book and also releasing the movie here.

Like with most translated works, the writ
danicatalyst
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished reading this book. And I am really moved by Mio and Takumi's love story. It is sad, yes, but their story is so special that i felt jealous of Mio having Takkun and to Takkun having Mio. They are born for each other, and that what's make them a great couple. I really love Yuji too, he made this story extra special, he is one sweet cute boy. And I can feel how happy Mio is, having him.

Nombre and Pooh adds life in this book too. It saddens me that they need to partway. But as Mr. Ic
Raynor
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book really and truly touched my heart, and so, my review won't be long as I don't think I can be objective about it.

It's a relatively simple premise, no real twists or turns, no big conflicts, just a gentle, loving story told in an impossibly charming, straight forward way. It's sentimental without being cheesy and unselfconsciously quirky.

I thought I would cry more, but it was actually so positive and hopeful that I just found myself smiling most of the time. I cried at the end as it wa
Maricar Dizon

This book made me sentimental and emotional the past month. I cannot read it fast because I need to stop at almost every other page because I feel my heart hurting. I've watched the movie before reading this book so I already know the gist of the story as well as the twist in the end. But the feels, the emotions and the sadness were lingering on every page. I cried in the end. God, I can't even write a review for this because I can't find the right words.

This is another book that I'm go
Cecilee
Nov 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the only book I've leisurely reread. Partly because of my incapability of understanding certain points, partly because I learn something new. It's like a new chunk of "hey, this would be great to apply to your life" every time I read. Might reread once again to be more clear in this review, haha... ...more
Saima Nisbet
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2016
My theme of death continues with this book and coincidentally three of my dreams this week have had someone I know die in them too, I didn't seem overly upset at that! This is a sad tale of loss, love and parenthood. It was apparently very popular in Japan and made into a film or TV show. Whilst I enjoyed the story, I didn't love it, perhaps it was lost in translation. ...more
Diệu Linh
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After all, this is my most favorite book of Takuji Ichikawa.

I've read this novel for more than 5 years ago, as soon as the novel was published in my country. What do I think about this book? Good? Great? Nice? No, it's must be "Amazing!"

I've watched the movie with the same title before reading this novel, but it didn't affect the way I enjoy the book.

The storyline is a combination of love and magic. It's the story about a young couple finding each other, falling in love, fighting with their o
Veronique
Jan 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: french
It's the first time a Japanese writer disappoints me. And even more surprising, this book was a huge success in Japan. I read the translation into French, and I will give the author the benefit of the doubt, it seems to me that the translator did a poor job.
This book could have been very poetic, a philosophical tale about love and death. Instead, it's borderline simplistic, without any depth, and the dialogues are just painful. I wonder how many times I had to read "vraiment" (really in English
Nikmaack
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
A romantic, simple story written very plainly. The book (fiction) is written in the first person, and the writer mentions the writing style of Kurt Vonnegut. Which is odd. Because this is a Japanese book, translated into English, which reads like a romantic Vonnegut novel.

It is a bit slow, sometimes, but pretty amazing. Or maybe it caught me at the right, vulnerable, emotional time. Few characters, very little plot, no conflict to speak of. Still very readable.

A lovely little book. If you read i
Yannick
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First of all, I watched the korean 's movie which I loved it , which push my curiosity to read the book
As every adaptation some facts have been modified, however the story stills the same.

Even if it is a fictional book, the foundation is real fact : Love your family, your life and be together. Everyone can rely on that subject.
Knowing the end I was not surprise, however for someone whom did not watch the movie the end an be little confusing but really interesting and surprising.

It is a easy boo
Yết Thiên
Apr 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best books I've ever read. A magical story happened to Takumi, a man who has psychological problems when he and his son saw his wife relive.
"Today was the first time we met with shoes with a collar and heels. Also to say, today is also the first time I saw you wearing a red dress immediately. The first time I saw you painted lipstick. The first time I see your hair swaying every time you tilt your head, for the first time I feel restless when I talk to you.

It's all the first t
Vinh Nghiem
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Behind the rain and the forest, it is the love through space and time.

A soft touch to our souls via its story between a clumsy guy and his resourceful wife.

If you really love someone, they will be right in your heart and sitting there. You can die as the nature of life, but sweet memories will last forever.
Cholera
Intéressant. Très "japonais" dans le sens où le personnage principal ne semble pas savoir ce qu'il fait ni où il va. Pas extraordinaire, pourtant.

Interesting. Very "japanese" as the narrator doesn't seem to know what he's doing. Not that good, still.
Celia
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful love story that I would recommend to anyone hesitating to put love above any other consideration.
Kati
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Still one of my all time favorites.
Mangto
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A nice love story with surprised ending. Very nice book.
Lindsey
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is definitely one of the most beautiful books I've ever read. ...more
A little weird, but I enjoyed this. I didn’t particularly like the idea that this man could barely take care of himself and his son without his wife. And she has to come back so she can show her son how to do laundry and housework? It’s just so stereotypical having a man who can’t take care of himself. I suppose one could argue this is a trend in Japanese culture, but I think this is changing in recent days. My feminist heart just hurts over this. And the twist at the end...I was not expecting t ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• 1 Litre of Tears
  • Cho Tôi Xin Một Vé Đi Tuổi Thơ
  • The Miracles of the Namiya General Store
  • Il gatto che voleva salvare i libri
  • Tôi Thấy Hoa Vàng Trên Cỏ Xanh
  • 5 Centimet Trên Giây
  • La prochaine fois
  • You Are the Apple of My Eye
  • Cẩm nang tự học IELTS
  • Nếu biết trăm năm là hữu hạn
  • Socrates In Love
  • Totto-chan: The Little Girl at the Window
  • Thời Niên Thiếu Không Thể Quay Lại Ấy
  • Có Hai Con Mèo Ngồi Bên Cửa Sổ
  • Con đường Hồi giáo
  • Storia di un gatto e del topo che diventò suo amico
  • Parade
  • Mắt Biếc

News & Interviews

“It's all right- this isn't the end of it. Endings and beginnings are as different than exits and entrances.” 25 likes
“The sky and the sea invevitably meet and become one. Everywhere. Always.” 20 likes