Start by marking “Never to Sleep (Soul Screamers, #5.5)” as Want to Read:
Never to Sleep (Soul Screamers, #5.5)

Never to Sleep

(Soul Screamers #5.5)

Don't Close Your Eyes.

Sophie Cavanaugh is not going to let her freak of a cousin's strange psychiatric condition ruin high school for them both. Not after all the work she's put into cultivating the right look, and friends, and reputation. But then, Sophie sees something so frightening she lets out a blood-curdling scream--and finds herself stuck in a bizarre parallel worl
Published July 1st 2012 by Harlequin Teen (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Never to Sleep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Never to Sleep

Oct 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love the Soul Screamers novellas. They give such great insight into the other characters. I am not a Sophie fan but I'm not supposed to be! She is vain, selfish, and totally stuck in her own bubble. But her bubble is burst in this novella! She sees a soulless reaper appear in the school hallway and screams, taking her into the netherworld with the cute new guy, Luca, she just met.

Sophie freaks out and wonders if she is going crazy like her cousin. We get to see her perspective of the netherwo
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Still don't like Sophie but I am definitely intrigued by Luca! Can't wait to get more of him in the next book.
A.
Jan 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Three stars because Sophie has few redeeming qualities . . .
Now, I hate Sabine, but her line of thought is basically "NASH NASH NASH NASH oooh BAD DREAMS HA NASH NASH." Sophie is basically, "ME! ME! ME! ME! ME! ME! ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I wanted to hit her. And there is a new character, a necromancer, and at first he's all, "oh Sophie is HOTNESS" and later gets irritated with her but sticks with it cause she's still "the HOTNESS." And Sophie gets stuck in the Netherworld, and screams
Wendy Darling
Sales Alert: this short story in the Souls Screamers series is only $1.29 for KIndle and Nook right now and all proceeds benefit St. Jude's Children's Hospital for the first six months. If you're planning on reading this, please consider purchasing it sooner rather than later.

More ebook freebies and deals here!
Rachel
Nov 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Originally read October 6, 2011.

Re-read 6/13/12. Review to come.
Lisa Howe
I’m not going to lie – I really do not like Sophie. She’s spoilt, arrogant and down-right irritating.
But that’s okay, because that’s the point: we aren’t supposed to like her! Sophie’s always blaming her cousin Kaylee for the things that go wrong in her life, and is sure she’s just faking crazy for attention.

It was really interesting to see what Sophie was thinking for once, and I was actually starting to like her just a teensy bit... until she said this:
“People called Kaylee special, but wha
Asia
Mar 22, 2016 rated it liked it
To be honest, I don't care about Sophie.

She's egoistic and selfish. I'd love to see her face when she finds out about her heritage, that she isn't special and that Kaylee isn't crazy :P
TarynXO
I never liked Sophie, ever. I will admit even in this nice little novella I still don't like her. But what I did really like was that she had a taste of her own medicine and finally she had to experience exactly what Kaylee has been through, although Kaylee's experiences were worse and more times then she had too. What really pissed me off? How at the end she insisted that she was now badass and the Queen like the selfish little snot she always has been. For that alone I only wanted to give it 2 ...more
Dichotomy Girl
3rd Read: 6/9/2016
2nd Read: 10/30/2014
Original Read: 10/20/2012

It doesn't matter how many times I read this, I still hate Sophie.

Maybe if Sophie got Amnesia, and completely changed her personality and became a decent human being, then maybe I would....but I'm not even sure that would do it...
Adriana Rios de Biedermann
Nov 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
OK... This MINI SHOT STORY ROCK... Very nice Sopkie POV.... I really love Lucas right know! And I enjoy him really really shortly.... before a Wake promese to much... and this waiting it really really KILLING ME

Teresa Barrera
Mar 20, 2019 rated it liked it
In this book we get Sophie's POV. I never really liked her character throughout the series so far and have to say I still don't.
I am curious as to how Luca's character will play a part in the series and of what whatever Sophie is, how that will also play out going forward.
Jessica Johnson
Oct 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Ok, so I've been wanting to read this since one of my twitter friends, Fiktshun, teased about it back in October. I have to be honest and say that I was totally jealous that she got to read it before ANYBODY else. But I have to say that the wait was so very worth it.

There was a little contest going on on Rachel Vincent's site as who can guess the POV. Sophie was not the one I would have picked. Sophie is known in the Soul Screamers series as being a person that every one kind of.....dislikes. Sh
blackplume
Nov 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Originally Posted in a Blackplume
After hearing Kaylee and Tod from the other two novellas of Soul Screamers series Rachel Vincent now offer the voice of Sophie in Never To Sleep. From this novella readers will get the chance to know more of Sophie as a character as she goes with her first deadly adventure to the Netherworld with the handsome new guy, Luca.

I have to admit before reading this novella I don’t really care much about Sophie. She doesn’t really grow in me as a character from all the p
Jannat Bhat
May 29, 2012 rated it really liked it

Never to Sleep is a novella set during the events of If I Die - but completely separate to everything that happens in that book - well, except for Kaylee and Tod's public display of affection, which we see from the outside this time. Never to Sleep follows Sophie, Kaylee's spoilt, self-centered, entitled younger cousin, as a chance meeting with a new student
Joanne
Jun 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-urban-fantasy
Originally posted on Once Upon a Bookcase.

Being such a huge Soul Screamers fan, when I heard Mira Ink were finally going to publish Never to Sleep in the UK, I was ecstatic! I have been waiting to read Never to Sleep ever since Rachel Vincent had first mentioned it on her blog, and now I finally have it! And just as I expected, it was amazing!

Bec
Jul 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
*kind of half-spoilers below*

I wasn't sure what I was expecting when I started this today. Told from the POV of Sophie, Kaylee's popular cousin, this novella takes place during If I Die (right after on of the BIG scenes, actually). Sophie has never really gotten along with her cousin is one of the more... innocent people in the series, with no idea about the Netherworld and all the other awesome (though not always good) paranormal things that happen in the series. In this novella the dark side
Jenelle
Nov 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
UPDATE: View original review in my blog: The Midnight Book Thief

Ah, I love the Soul Screamers series. It's totally original- come on, do you guys know any other series about banshees? No? Thought so. The wait for the sixth book is unbearable, and I am sooo happy Rachel decided to write this novella! And thanks so much to Rachel @ Fiktshun who sent me a copy!

'Never to Sleep' is about Sophie, Kaylee's obnoxious cousin. I have to admit- I hate Sophie. She's spoiled, she's mean, she's annoying...
Ferdy
Jan 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Who would want to read a Soul Screamers novella about Kaylee's hateful cousin Sophie?? That was my first though after hearing about this novella. Sophie is self centred, spoilt, shallow and a complete bi*ch. After reading Never To Sleep, Sophie is still all those things but she's also strong, funny and brave. I still dislike Sophie, intensely but I understand her a little more now.
Sophie runs into new student Luca and what follows is an unintentional trip to the Netherworld. Sophie starts scream
Lexxie (un)Conventional Bookworms
Short, to the point, quite funny... but still from Sophie's POV...

In this novella, Sophie meets Luca, the necromancer, and a soulless reaper who makes her screem so hard she and Luca end up in the Netherworld. Most of the story is about how to get back to the real world, and it actually had loads of hilarious quotes :

"I don't even like regular plants. Except for corsages and long-stemmed roses." And htose only hurt you when they don't show up...

"You're not... human?" "Well, I am human. But I'm
Sunnykimmy
Nov 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, giveaway
Awesome! As always.

I really liked this. Like all the books I’ve read by Rachel Vincent, this one was action-packed, breathtaking and shocking. My eyes were glued to the pages. I wouldn’t have been able to stop reading even if I’d wanted to.Rachel Vincent has the remarkable ability to make even a single sentence suspenseful or downright shocking.

So…Sophie, she was definitely a…different character. I’ll admit, while I was dying to read Sophie’s point of view of um…things, I was also worried that I
Lady Jaye
It should be 2.5 stars, really.

Ms. Vincent can write some wonderfully nuanced characters. Unfortunately, she failed in this attempt. Sophie is still the self-centered jerk she has always been. Sure, she's resourceful and assertive, but that is to be expected. Most girls don't get to be one of the most popular girls in their cliques by being just a mean girl.

Luca is a new character that was introduced in this novella, and it seems he'll play some sort of role in Before I Wake. But I am glad for
Dina
Nov 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
I read this a while back and for some reason never got around to noting it. This story helps many of us understand why we like sophie or at least don't try to kill her. I like how we learn to understand her, what I don't like, and mind you I've read all the book in the series now, is how she never does much to show her cousin how much she appreciates what she's done for her. Because her cousin has done quite a bit and put up with quite a bit for her. The fact that she made her cousin's school li ...more
Joy
Mar 18, 2012 rated it liked it
I suppose it's good for Sophie to see a little reality. Or, in this case, not-quite-reality.

As much as I love this series and send props to Vincent for her character development, I felt like Sophie's character was a little flimsy. She's not quite real and there is too much bleeding between her character and Kaylee. Example: She says things Kaylee would say.

I don't think it's believable for a self-absorbed nit-wit to turn into warrior princess in a matter of hours. The Sophie we know would have
Kathy
Jan 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
Never to Sleep is a short 56 page ebook.

I admit I do not particularly like Sophie and didn't have any desire to read anything about her. However this books introduces a character who will likely play a part in the next books in the series and we learn that there might be more to Sophie than we thought. It was worth reading and while I doubt I'll ever like Sophie I can see things a little better from her perspective now.

If you are a Soul Screamers fan then you should read this novella. It does c
Patricia
Same old - don't recommend this series or author anymore for several reasons (none of which are related to author-behaving-badly, as far as I can tell) but since I enjoyed this series back then, I'm keeping my reviews.

I really like Sophie. She is a teenager, she's a little self-rightous and unaware of what is going on, but that isn't entirely her fault, is it? It was great to see the world through her eyes, and even though she remains partly ignorant to many things, I'll have to admit that I wou
Trisha
May 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was truly awake, for the first time in my life, and if asleep was what I'd been before, I never wanted to sleep again.

wow, I've always disliked Sophie. Although I won't say I like her, I at least understand her better now.

and I think this was the best way for Sophie to find out. Any other way would have blown her mind and she never would have accepted it.

now the big question is, what is she?
and welcome to the scene Luca :D
Rita
Jul 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 3-2-read-library
This was pretty good. You get better acquainted with Sophie. I was hoping the story would go into her finding out about Kaylee. It ticks me off her calling her crazy all the time. Still not a fan of hers but I'm glad I read it. Luca is a cutie pie. Ready for Soul Screamers # 7.
Michele at A Belle's Tales
While Luca was a very intriguing character I hope to read more about and Rachel Vincent's writing is amazing as always, there is just nothing that is going to make me feel for Sophie. All I wish for Sophie's future is a giant junk-punch.
Theresa Sivelle
Aug 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Well, I must say I no longer hate Sophie. I can't say that I really like her but this did shed a different light on her. I'm looking forward to the next book and the continuance of Luca and Sophie's part in all of this.
Amanda
Apr 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
This novella in the Soul Screamers series focuses on Sophie. When Sophie unexpectedly ends up in the Netherworld, she has to find a way to get out and go home. Seeing the Netherworld from Sophie perspective was interesting and creepy.
My Not-So-Secret ...: Never To Sleep 1 3 Jun 17, 2012 01:33PM
Souless Reaper?? 6 22 Jun 13, 2012 09:03PM

• Retro Demonology (The Demon Trappers, #0.5)
  • Let It Bleed (WVMP Radio, #3.5)
  • Treachery (Nightshade #2.5; Nightshade World #5.5)
  • Soul Stealer (The Anomaly #3)
  • Glitter & Doom (Masque of the Red Death, #1.5)
  • The Department of Alterations (Crewel World, #0.5)
  • Magical Redemption
  • Valkyrie Symptoms (Valkyrie, #0.5)
  • Undone (Unraveling, #1.5)
  • Free Fall (Retrievers, #5)
  • Phantom File (Dark Eden, #1.5)
  • Darkest Powers Bonus Pack 2 (Darkest Powers Trilogy #3.5, 3.6)
  • The Goddess Hunt (Goddess Test, #1.5)
  • First Frost (Mythos Academy, #0.5)
  • Stopping Time and Old Habits (Wicked Lovely, #2.5, 2.6)
  • Other Worlds
  • Daire Meets Ever (Soul Seekers, #0.5)
  • Before (Heven and Hell, #0.5)
[Note: Though Rachel's blog entries are cross posted here, she does not frequent Goodreads. The best ways to contact her are FB, Twitter, or her Wordpress blog. PLEASE DO NOT SEND HER MESSAGES HERE. SHE DOES NOT CHECK THEM.]

A resident of Oklahoma, Rachel Vincent has a BA in English and an overactive imagination, and consistently finds the latter to be more practical. She shares her workspace with

Soul Screamers (7 books)
  • My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers, #1)
  • My Soul to Save (Soul Screamers, #2)
  • My Soul to Keep (Soul Screamers, #3)
  • My Soul to Steal (Soul Screamers, #4)
  • If I Die (Soul Screamers, #5)
  • Before I Wake (Soul Screamers, #6)
  • With All My Soul (Soul Screamers, #7)
“He was beyond gorgeous. But Eastlake High was full of pretty people who acted like total freaks. I blame the local water supply. Which was why I drank bottled water.” 25 likes
“Survival strategy. If you’re not careful, this place will eat you alive, and Kaylee’s like bait for the beasts.” 15 likes