Start by marking “The Outback Heart” as Want to Read:
The Outback Heart

The Outback Heart

The most heartfelt and moving novel yet from favourite Australian rural romance writer and bestselling author of The Family Farm.

Indianna Wilson is a country girl through and through. She'll do anything she can to save her beloved home town from disappearing off the map – even if she has to die trying. She brings Troy Mitchell to her tiny outback town, with hopes that he c
Published September 25th 2013 by Penguin Australia

To ask other readers questions about The Outback Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Outback Heart

Sharon
Sep 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I've read by Fiona Palmer and it certainly won't be my last. I really enjoyed this book and I didn't want this story to end.

Indianna Wilson (Indi) not only has a love for her local football team but she also has a greater love for her small home town of Hyden. Indi and her two brothers Patrick and Jasper have grown up in Hyden and there's not a thing they wouldn't do for their home town community.
Two years ago their mother passed away and since then Indi seems to have step
Rachael Johns
Absolutely loved it! I reckon this is Fiona's best book yet!!
MarciaB - Book Muster Down Under
The Outback Heart is Fiona Palmer’s fifth contribution to the Australian Rural Romance sub-genre. After reading her fourth novel, The Sunburnt Country, and thoroughly enjoying it, I didn’t hesitate to devour this latest offering when it presented itself and was definitely not disappointed with this heart-warming and, at times, tear-jerking story of one woman's quest to save her small town’s footy club and one man’s determination to steer clear of all attachments.

Indianna Wilson (Indi) loves her
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

The Outback Heart is Fiona Palmer's fifth novel, a heartfelt story of loss, life and love in rural Western Australia.

Indianna 'Indi' Wilson loves her small outback town and is determined to ensure Hyden not only survives, but thrives. She is sure rebuilding the local Saints football team will unite the community, if only they can get off the bottom of the ladder. Troy 'Yoda' Mitchell has a reputation for turning teams around and Indi is thrilled when he agrees to move to Hyden and do what he can
Lauredhel
Indi lives in Hyden, home of Wave Rock. She loads road trains in hi-vis gear for a living, she loves football, she's a community mover and shaker, and she's grieving her mum.

Troy blows into town and begins work coaching the footy team. He's also carrying a weighty load of grief and baggage, and is emotionally shut off. He eventually comes round to the idea of Indi as a coaching assistant, since she's a better player than most of the motley crew who form the Saints. And so, we are set up for a we
Tamara
My favourite of all of Fiona's books!
Hannah
Sep 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult
A sweet, light romance read perfect for lazy Sundays.

I enjoyed a lot of aspects about this novel - my first Fiona Palmer, somewhat of a figurehead in RuRo - women in sport, the farming communities, reminiscing about my own childhood of growing up on the boundary line of a country town's footy oval. Fiona was able to capture the spirit of it all really well, and I enjoyed reading a story set in WA's wheatbelt (where I grew up).

In saying that, there were a lot of flaws that didn't make it a five
Rachel
Bree T
Jul 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Indianna Wilson loves her small town Hyden with a passion. But like a lot of other country towns, people are leaving for the city. The community spirit and passion is suffering. The local footy team the Saints, once responsible for bringing those that live locally together to socialise as they support the team are languishing on the bottom of the local footy ladder and people have stopped going to the games. Indi is passionate about her football – she cares about it just as much as she cares abo ...more
Katie
Oct 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. I haven’t read a Fiona Palmer book previously and I will certainly be grabbing any new releases, this was fantastic. I am thoroughly enjoying Australian contemporary lately and this one is definitely not an exception. Ms Palmer has a style of writing that draws the reader into the life she has written about. The Outback Heart was set in Western Australia and the scenery sounds wonderful, I personally haven’t been to that part of Australia yet, but the descriptive Ms ...more
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-books
West Australian writer Fiona Palmer adds to the popular rural romance genre in her fifth book, The Outback Heart. Country girl Indianna Wilson is still recovering from the loss of her mother. She is trying hard to balance her job at the local grain store, ensuring the emotional welfare of her father and brother, while also taking on all the community projects her late mother was involved in. One of these projects involves her tiny farming community’s football club. Indianna hopes by raising the ...more
Julie Wilton
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Julie by: goodreads
Shelves: australian, rural
Fiona has set this book around two main characters Indi and Troy and their stories supported by family and friends set in a small town of Hyden, famous in the story for a rock formation named as Wave Rock. Indi is portrayed as a strong young woman that loves her family, her town and her football who is trying to move on whilst grieving for her recently deceased mother.

Troy comes to Hyden as the new football coach, and whilst tough on the outside he is on the inside full of pain, memories and ba
Bec
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves a great story
review to follow - but lets just say - 5 stars and a box of tissues!

I'm already a fan of Fiona Palmer and was really looking forward to reading this book while on holidays. I started one afternoon and couldn't put it down. This book had everything - heart-warming moments, light hearted laugh's, tear-jerking heartbreaks - everything you could ask for.

In "The Outback Heart" Fiona introduces us to Indianna "Indi" Wilson, an All-Australian country girl with a heart as big as the Aussie outback tryin
Ida
3.5 tähteä. Alku oli hyvä, mutta puolenvälin tienoilla tarinasta katosi fokus. Ikään kuin kirjailija ei olisi osannut päättää, kertooko hän tarinaa rakkaudesta vai pienestä maalaiskylästä ja sen kehityksestä. Aussijalkapallo on tärkeä osa tapahtumia, mutta pelin kuvaukset jäävät loppujen lopuksi pinnallisiksi ja tuntuvat sen takia toistavan itseään. Henkilöistä tykkään, samoin eräästä vakavasta aiheesta jota kirjassa käsitellään. Tämä on oikeastaan koko homman onnistunein osuus. Olen kuitenkin e ...more
Kate Daniel
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As the late arrival of my prize turned up I eagerly threw myself into reading this book, needless to say I was not disappointed from start to finish.
If rural romance is your genre then hold onto your horses. You will fall in love with Indianna Wilson her brother Patrick and especially her brother Jasper. Indianna has a heart way bigger than herself and therefore when it breaks it hurts her more than she could ever hurt herself.
You will find yourself undeniably falling in love with Indianna and t
Stacey Houllis
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rural-romance
A well writing story very moving would recommend it to friends. Indianna Wilson and her love for her country town and the beloved football club and Troy Mitchell a football coach (AFL) that she bring to the town with the help of a friend he comes. This is a story of triumphs, tragedy, and love.
Troy overcomes a heart transplant in teenage years finds love with another transplant patient that dies. Indianna is caring for her father and two brothers after her mothers death and working as well.
I fo
Bettina
Nov 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I think this is Fiona's best book yet. It opens our eyes to the issues of organ donation and how one life ending could save the life of another. This book was really heartbreaking at times, but I enjoyed discovery all Troy's secrets bit by bit. Although the ending was a bit of a shock, I did enjoy seeing Troy have a happy ending. And, Jasper was the best big brother ever. Only one complaint though, when I grew up on my farm I wish I'd had good looking neighbours like Troy and Jasper! ;) Can't wa ...more
Jessica Mclauchlan
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy reading Fiona Palmer's stories. Having a strong female character is sometimes a refreshing change and this story had a nice dynamic to it. But of mystery and it was not all about the romance. It allowed us to develop a relationship with the main characters. Have passed it on to friends who also enjoy this Australian romance genre and they also loved it
Frank
Apr 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone (adult)
Recommended to Frank by: library
A very enjoyable novel!
A touching story about two young people's love for each other, footy and the outback.
It's actually much more than that, incorporating a sensitive description of family and community life and how love triumphs over tragedy.
A very upbeat story, that is exceptionally well written.
Rachel
Sep 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have read a lot of Fiona Palmers books and while I have enjoyed them all I particularly loved this one. It is a lovely story of family, friendships and love. It flowed so beautifully and left me with a tear and really believing the end was someone else.
Would recommend this book to anyone and everyone.
Claire
Sep 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Outback Heart by Fiona Palmer is one of the best books I have ever read. I read this book in under 12 hours. It had aspects of country life and how small towns struggle to get teams for sport. Overall I think this book is by far Fiona's best book!
Paula Clark
Oct 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Live each day and cherish it because you never know what's around the corner. This story was inspired by the live (and death) of a young man in the author's community. A great story however I didn't like how it ended :(
Hannah
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Loved this book! It was so heart warming. I liked the setting.

All the characters were great, lovely, even the sub-characters.

The writing was also of a high quality.

Would definitely recommend this book.
Sharryn
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
First book I've read from this author and already on the look out for more. Really enjoyed the story, characters style of writing. A great Aussie read!
Bec Whyte
Sep 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book. Fiona's best by far. It has such an important message for the reader that you are well and truly missing out if you chose to leave it on the shelf.
Dianne Sidebottom
Jan 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another Australian story. It delves into heart transplant recipients n donors n the perspective of one who receives one. How to be a footy focused club? Stayed up to read in one sitting.
Justin-jessica O'neill
Sep 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another fantastic book by Fiona Palmer! I was unable to put it down! A book that makes you think about the way you live your life!
Claire
Sep 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this story heaps and look forward to reading more by Fiona Palmer, so far all her books have been great Australian stories
ANNE BARNES
  • The Horseman's Promise
  • Bridie's Choice
  • Half Moon Bay
  • Queen of the Road
  • Dark Country (Dungirri, #2)
  • Driftwood
Bestselling rural author of books set in outback Western Australia. Small communities, farming, great aussie characters and mother nature. Also writes YA.