Start by marking “Lone Wolf (Wolves of the Beyond, #1)” as Want to Read:
Lone Wolf (Wolves of the Beyond, #1)

Lone Wolf (Wolves of the Beyond #1)

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  7,812 Ratings  ·  555 Reviews
Spinoff from owl Guardians of Ga'hoole introduces Faolan, newborn wolf pup with a twisted leg. Harsh code of the pack demands such weakness be abandoned on a desolate hill. But alone in the wilderness, Faolan does not perish - a tale of survival, courage, and love triumphant.
Published 2010 by Scholastic, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Lone Wolf, please sign up.

Hannah Martin
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Sierra
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Whitlea
Jul 03, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t-like
I was really surprised that I didn't like this one. I had enjoyed what I had read of Lasky's Ga'hoole series, and I was expecting this to be comparable in quality to that.

There were two main issues I had with this book. The first one is that it is horribly dull. The beginning was very exciting, but the first two parts were uninteresting. It didn't help that the main character doesn't have that much of a personality. It started to pick up around the end, but it was too little too late for me.

Th
❤Marie Gentilcore
Oct 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids, series
This book was recommended to me by my 9-yr old son. He read it in class and loved it and thought I would enjoy it as well. I am so glad I read it, it was a really well told story of a wolf named Faolan who was born "malcadh" which meant he had some type of disability which in his case was a splayed paw with a swirl on the bottom pad. Malcadh pups are taken away and left to die to keep the packs strong and healthy. Faolan was rescued by a grizzly bear named Thunderheart who had just lost a cub an ...more
Chelsea Trent
Sep 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is of a series of 4 books with the mystifying adventures of a young wolf pup named Foalan. I am currently reading the 2nd book: Watch Wolf. Growing up i've had an undying passion for wolves, i raised two wolf pups, Megan and Shiba, of which I found as orphans and decided to adopt them. My friend recommended this book to me as she noticed i am obsessed with wolves. This book tells of a wolf pup who was exiled from his pack due to being "diffirent" Seperated from his pack and parents, he ...more
Cindy
This book frustrated me. I loved Laskey's past series on owls so it could only be assumed that this book would be similar but with wolves. However, it wasn't.

A few of my problems included -

-This book was a lot of "tell" not show. There were pages of descriptions, describing wolf packs, habits, personality, behaviors. There isn't a lot of character interaction, and it almost feels like I'm reading a textbook. The author picks up conversations in the last 30 pages or so but by then it lost me.

Rachel Harris
(Written by my ten-year-old daughter as part of a Language Arts assignment)

The Wolves of the Beyond, The Lone Wolf, by Kathryn Lasky is a thrilling novel about a wolf pup named Faolan as he embarks on the journey of a lifetime. This book has enticed many readers and will leave you hunting for more as you learn of a destiny written in the stars...

When a she-wolf named Moragg gives birth to a pup with a splayed paw, she knows the rules of her clan force her to leave him to die. But when Thunderhea
Zach Densley
Nov 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I feel as if this series is very good.Personally I think LONE WOLF is the best book out of all of the books i've ever read . it starts out with an a pup named foalan that was taken by an obea to his tummfraw to die.his tummfraw was a icey river that will soon break into a massive river.And before you know it he was saved by a grizzly mother that was named thunder heart by foalan and soon became his mother.The massive bear took care of him and tought him many things. I can think of a couple of th ...more
Lisa Brunton
The first half was good but it got very boring and no plot I'm not reading the rest of the series
Melanie
Nov 26, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lowest-rated
I want to start off by saying that I generally love Kathryn Lasky's books- I read all but a couple of the Guardians of Ga'Hoole series and all of her additions to the Royal Diaries series and thought they were fantastic. This book however was surprisingly dull. I wanted so much to like this book and, it being a kind of "kid's book" thought I would finish it in about a day when it actually took me about 3-4 days. I had to force myself to pick it up and slog through it- working diligently just to ...more
Vermin Supreme™
Being a fan of animal fantasies, I decided to buy this quick read at my school book fair. Not worth the ten dollars. At least, not yet.

This book starts off fairly amazing, with creative ranks and how the Packs work. I did realize how large the writing font was, and it slightly worried me. But I'm used to reading short books, like Warriors.
Anyway, the writer did seem to know what she was talking about. Being a wolf lover myself, I know tons of facts about these beautiful creatures. If I was about
Steven R. McEvoy
This story was amazing! It reads like a cross between The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling and A Wolf Story by James Byron Huggins, both of which I love and have reread many times. The story is powerful and compelling. It is the first book set in the world of Ga'Hoole that does not focus primarily on the Owl kingdoms. It was wonderful to read, and I immediately started book two after finishing book one. I could not wait until I had even written my review. I had to know what happened next.

It is the
Naomi
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is about a wolf pup, named Faolan, who was abandoned as a cub due to a strange marking on his paw and twisted leg. Thunderheart, a bear who just lost her cub, finds Faolan and cares for him. One day, Faolan goes out hunting in a cold winter storm. He gets lost and can't find Thunderheart. Then, he wanders off into the Outermost, a place where dangers and other wolves lurk. Will Faolan find out what happened to Thunderheart and survive the Outermost? Read to find out.

My favorite part w
Jacki
Apr 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Born with a splayed paw with an odd spiral design on the pad, Faolan is left to die. But Fate intervenes and the moments old wolf pup is quickly adopted by a heartbroken grizzly bear, affectionately named Thunderheart. Lone Wolf is the story of Faolan's first year of life.

I have not yet read the previous owl series by the same author, so I really had no idea what to expect. I was more than pleasantly surprised and am looking forward to sharing this book and the rest in the series with my son.

I
Andrew
Nov 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sophia Luo
Jul 03, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really boring book and it's full of complicated words. I don't want to read the rest of the series.
Kellee
Reviewed at: http://www.teachmentortexts.com/2012/...

A student who is in my yearbook class was so excited when he saw my classroom library that he came bounding over to me the first week and asked me, "You have so many books! So you read a lot, right? Have you read Wolves of the Beyond?!" He was so excited. And how can a teacher kill a kid's excitement in 2 seconds? By answering, "No. I'm not sure what that is..." Well, he was so flabbergasted by my lack of knowledge that he brought me the book
Melinda Voong
Nov 01, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Personally, it wasn't that interesting to me. It doesn't have that much... Excitement, a hook to catch me on. I mean, the main thing I disliked though was the blandness of the main character.

The main character was too... How should I put this? Too overpowered. I get it's fictional, but this is based on survival and that kind of stuff, right? Then wolves should not be able to walk on two legs, be able to jump and pull down a cougar, and jump over a huge wall of fire. Like, seriously. If that isn'
Shelli
Feb 02, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first discovered Lasky when I saw the stunning and emotional Guardians movie in theaters. The beautiful animation and the heartfelt story grabbed me and never let me go until the end.

Unfortunately when I picked up the book series Guardians of Ga'Hoole, I found myself disappointed. The story wasn't nearly as gripping at the plotline of the movie (which they changed quite a bit), and the characters felt flat and one-dimensional. I read the first three books of the series and no more.

Despite how
Abigail
May 09, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animal
This book was pretty good for what it was. I am loathe to give it three stars because it was better than that, but four seems too much so we'll settle with 3.5. I didn't realize til I picked it up at a Goodwill, but apparently this book is a continuation of the Guardians of Ga'Hoole series of which I know next to nothing about. (Except owls. I knew it had to do with owls.) Anyway, I really liked the way the book started it, but the middle section was kind of meh. I'm always a fan of animals havi ...more
Jacob
Apr 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lone Wolf by Kathryn Lasky tells the beginning of an abandoned wolf who is taken in by a bear who cares for him in his young age. The main and lone character, Faolan is nursed by Thunderheart, a lone female bear who is prepping for winter. The story leads with a heart warming tone, but some subtle events and actions eventually progress the story into a suspenseful and gruesome story of a lone wolf in a cruel world.
The story does a good job in providing more and more questions for the main chara
Katie
Jun 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this book is really good in some parts and sad in other parts. a summary of this book would be, in the beggining a mom wolf had three cubs and one cub has a splayed paw so a wolf of the pack has to take the wolf to a spot where it can't survive a mama bear finds the cub and takes it as its own because her cubs were eaten by another animal. also in the begginig the wolf is finally loved by someone. in the middle the mama bear teaches the cub to hunt and to catch its own fish. the mama bea ...more
Kurt Seipp
Nov 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book that will appeal to those who always want to cheer for the little guy and see him over come the obstacles they are faced with. The story is about a wolf pup who is abandoned do to his birth defect and has no one to turn to and left for dead. He is found by a mother bear who raises him the way she would raise her cub. Now the young wolf must adapt to his new way of life and find his own way when his mother is taken away from him and he truly becomes a loan wolf. It has a very descr ...more
Zach D
Nov 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book Wolves Of The Beyond,Lone Wolf Was surprisingly great. First the small wolf that was born with a splayed paw was put on a river by an obea(a wolf that puts pups in places to die) for death.
The small pup does the unthinkable he survives.He was saved by a grizzly and mothered by her too.After winter,the pup named foalan finds out that his mother is gone.Now he has to find a pack and serve as a gnaw wolf with a life of torture.also the little pup is always making new friends.then going to
Raymond Xu
Sep 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was really bored so I took out a random back from my book shelve and I started reading this. The book was interesting enough for me to read the whole thing.

Theme:
The theme of this book is not to care what others think or say to you. Faolan is a wolf, but later got separated from his parents because he was deformed. He was raised by a grizzly, thinking his parents abandoned him. Faolan is a strong both physically and literally. He is bold and doesn't care what people say to him. In it states,"
Dakota
Nov 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The plot of this book has to do with a wolf pup born with a deformed paw and mother had died. But he was raised by a bear who found him in a stream and fished him out of the water.he later became to be the biggest and mos beutiful wolf in a pack which he had found.I could relate to the main caracter foalan who has ups and downs in his experiences but has a side activity which he enjoys and is good at.I liked this book because it puts you into another world of sorts. my favorite part was when he ...more
Abbeygail
Nov 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
faolns(excuse me if i misppled the name)epic adventure and love of all nature inspires me. his lovable grizzly mother and mysterious paw are just up anybody's ally. (animal lovers will hallucinate about this book) with distinct richness and a dazzling potential its a good read.

p.s.- I've already read up to the current novel! they are truly delicious and i cant wait till the next one! i highly reccomend it!
Sabrina Crockett
I think it was a really amazing book! It was about a wolf called Faolan and his life when he was a pup and growing up. Faolan was born a malcaldh which is a old wolf word for cursed. He was a malcaldh because 1 of his paw's was twisted with the toes sticking out unusual with a swirled paw pad. I can say to much or I'll ruin it so thats all! P.S this is a highly recommend this/these book(s)to people that like wolves, magic, and adventure books.
Vicki
Kids who love the Guardian of Ga'Hoole series are going to love this one, a promising start to a new series by Kathryn Laskey. Faolan is one of the support characters in the Ga'Hoole books, and this book is all about him, a young wolf pup taken from his mom shortly after birth and left to die on the riverbank because of a slight paw deformity. Wonderfully researched in terms of wolf behaviour. I'll be watching the rest of the series as Faolan's story unfolds.
Frankie
Jun 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read all fifteen of the Guardians of Ga'Hoole books, so I just had to read this other book by Kathryn Lasky. In this series, Wolves of the Beyond, Faolan is the main character. In the language of bears, "fao" means both "wolf" and "river", and "lan" means "gift". Therefore, Faolan is a wolf gift from the river. Read this book to learn about Faolan's fascinating young life, and see him join the MacDuncan clan at the very end.
Janan
Jul 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having read and loved the Gaurdians of Ga'Hoole series a couple of years ago, I decided to pick up this first book in the wolf series. I was immediately immersed in the story. There is more depth of emotion in the characters than in the owl series. Definitely a great read! The last page leaves you on edge, eagerly wanting to leap into the next book. I can't wait to continue the series.
Rachel Holland
Three and a half stars, rounded up.

I typically stay away from books in which all the characters are animals. But I'm doing research on wolves for a fiction story of my own and I wanted to see how pack behavior is written by other authors. I started with Lasky's book here, and I enjoyed it very much. I'm even going to contine the series and probably start reading "Guardians of Ga'Hoole".
How noble are the clan wolves to you? 3 17 Apr 22, 2014 08:19AM
How is this book??? 2 7 Apr 14, 2014 06:37PM
Wolves Of The Beyond Lone Wolf 1 7 Mar 27, 2014 07:39PM
lone wolf 11 27 Sep 17, 2013 09:33AM
Class of 2014: Wolves of the Beyond 1 6 Jun 03, 2013 10:08AM
Lone Wolf 1 7 Mar 01, 2013 04:33AM
Guardians & Wolves: Lone Wolf #1 2 5 Nov 02, 2011 05:53PM
  • Lost Tales Of Ga'Hoole (Guardians Of Ga'hoole)
  • Fire in the Sky (Seekers, #5)
  • The Tygrine Cat
  • Ratha's Creature (The Named, #1)
  • Promise of the Wolves (Wolf Chronicles, #1)
  • Runt
Kathryn Lasky is the American author of many critically acclaimed books, including several Dear America books, several Royal Diaries books, 1984 Newbery Honor winning Sugaring Time, The Night Journey, and the Guardians of Ga'Hoole series.
She was born June 24, 1944, and grew up in Indianapolis, Indiana, and is married to Christopher Knight, with whom she lives in Massachusetts.

Book 15, The War of
More about Kathryn Lasky...

Wolves of the Beyond (6 books)
  • Shadow Wolf (Wolves of the Beyond, #2)
  • Watch Wolf (Wolves of the Beyond, #3)
  • Frost Wolf (Wolves of the Beyond, #4)
  • Spirit Wolf (Wolves of the Beyond, #5)
  • Star Wolf (Wolves of the Beyond, #6)
“Cycling, cycling forever
bear, wolf, caribou.
When had it all started, where will it end?
We are all part of one, from such simple beginnings and yet all so different.
Yet one.
One and again.”
14 likes
“You must not think of time as a quantity, a period, a measure. Look at the sky," Gwynneth said. "The moon has now slipped away to another night, into another world. It was not the time it was here that you remember, Faolan, but rather the luminescence of the air, the blue shadows cast by the trees in its light. It was not the length of the time but the quality of the moon's light that you felt and remember." Gwynneth paused. "It is the value, the quality that lives on.” 8 likes