Start by marking “Triumph of The Walking Dead: Robert Kirkman's Zombie Epic on Page and Screen” as Want to Read:
Triumph of The Walking Dead: Robert Kirkman's Zombie Epic on Page and Screen

Triumph of The Walking Dead: Robert Kirkman's Zombie Epic on Page and Screen

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  99 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews

The Walking Dead gained national attention as AMC’s latest critically acclaimed drama, shattering the network’s previous premiere ratings highs and earning a second season renewal after its very first episode. But before its television debut, Robert Kirkman’s The Walking Dead was a comic phenomenon.

James Lowder, veteran editor and author in the horror genre and comics fiel

Published November 1st 2011 by Smart Pop

To ask other readers questions about Triumph of The Walking Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Triumph of The Walking Dead

Scarlet Cameo
Why zombies interest us so much? Probably because they were people like us before we try to give us a bite and let us die in anguish (Has anyone else noticed how waste food? And so many people starving). Well in this collection of essays is decrypted which is the reason why we sidfo invaded by the zombie culture, as it started and how, something happened, we would change. Besides this seeks to explain the success of TWD.

Not all the works are jewels but some of them are so deep in their arguments
Wayne McCoy
Feb 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Triumph of the Walking Dead' Edited by James Lowder is a series of essays that came out of few years ago. It's still a bit relevant because although it was printed after the first season of the show, events that were taking place in the comic have been in more recent episodes.

The essays are great and a lot of fun to read. Arnold T. Blumberg talks about the history of zombies in comics, and how they were once banned, but crept their way back in. Kay Steiger talks about race and gender politics i
Alexis Winning
Jan 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zombies
Just awesome! This is an anthology of essays on the subject of The Walking Dead, mostly an exploration of the comics, but also of the show. In this book we see why the franchise has been so successful with ideas of archetypes, psychology, and the exploration of human nature examined through the backdrop of the zombie apocalypse.

I recommend this book to anyone interested not only in The Walking Dead, but the zombie horror genre. It is an intellectual read, and I can picture this being of "requir
Daniel
This review originally published in Looking For a Good Book. Rated 3.5 of 5

"The Walking Dead" is a surprising television hit. It is water-cooler discussion fodder, and, like so many pop culture hits of this era (it seems), it is based on a comic book series by Robert Kirkman. And what happens to 'hits'? People analyze them and write about them. This book is a collection of essays about "The Walking Dead" - both the comic series and the television series.

I've never read the comics/graphic novels,
Jan 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: para-zombies
Why read: Received for review

What impressed me: Many aspects of the comic books and TV show were discussed, both in relation to one another and as separate entities. I loved that there was a large focus on the comic storylines as they greatly differ from the show and have been around for much longer. I was afraid this book would just be a complete lovefest for the show because of its current popularity. It was a lovefest, but it really did only slightly touch on the show (as it should being ther
Brad
Aug 19, 2015 marked it as dnf-partial-read  ·  review of another edition
Having never watched the show and only read the first graphic novel in the Walking Dead series, I picked this up solely because it contained a piece by Ned Vizzini. His piece "Rick and Rand: The Objectivist Hero in The Walking Dead" explores how Rick uses Ayn Rand's "virtue of selfishness" to preserve himself, his family and the people he leads, as well as the ways he falls short of the Objectivist ideal. It is cultural criticism with a few wry observations for the Vizzini completist.

"In the twe
Holden Attradies
Sep 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zombie, non-fiction
This was a pretty darn solid read and I'm sorry I let it sit in my "to read" pile for as along as I did. Like any anthology I didn't put the book down loving every entry in the book, but I can at least say they all they were worth a read.

Although this might be something that turns other readers off, I really liked that the essays for the most part are written during a very obvious time. When this was written the T.V. show had only ended one season and the comics up to a certain point and most of
Donna
Mar 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the walking dead have got all the comic book series and watched all the boxsets. I didn't find this book that interesting and maybe that's because I have read and watched the above, didn't really find anything interesting out about the characters I didn't already know, and struggled slightly to get through the book. I think my friends would like the book though (they've not read/seen as much as me). So I'd still recommend it. I received an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest and ope ...more
Yvensong
Nov 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tad
4 1/2 stars

This is a great collection of essays addressing zombies in general, The Walking Dead comics and The Walking Dead television show -- philosophically, socially, and psychologically. Lowder has brought together several professors/instructors and authors/writers who explore the history of zombies on the screen and in writing (esp. in comics), why we seem so fascinated with zombies and what we may learn from the various tropes and themes used in zombie lore.

I received this book for free t
Ondra Král
Jan 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Náhodně jsem po tom šmátnul v knihovně a příjemně mě to překvapilo. Knížka je sbírkou krátkých esejů od různých autorů na různá témata, která se více či méně dotýkají Walking Dead. A většina byla setsakra zajímavá a povedená - ať už šlo o spiše obecné příspěvky (zombie v komiksu, zombie horory) nebo konkrétnější věci (Rick jako oportunistický hrdina, Carl jako imigrant 1.5). Lehce WTF působilo analyzování feminismu a příliš mě nebavily příspěvky, které řešily seriál, na kterej nekoukám (role věd ...more
Melissa Sullivan
This would be a great gift for a horror/zombie buff. It whips around and critically analyzes some of the common themes introduced in the series by attaching them to other stories, even biblical and vintage films. I got lost due to just being a 'day player' of walking dead fandom, but it's clear the author knows his stuff and more importantly, LOVES his stuff.

Thank you to Netgalley and Smart Pop who gave me a free copy in exchange for an honest review.
Claudia
This book needed a second proofreader. The errors irritated me (one essay kept calling Merle "Earle"). One essay that dealt primarily with the television episodes was so poorly written and made inaccurate presumptions about character motivation that it made me wonder if the author was a fan or just happened to stumble across an episode or two and decided to write about it. Most of the essays were very good though. It was a quick, interesting read for fans of zombie pop culture.
Beth
Jun 20, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pretty good collection of essays about the comics and the show. Topics included archetypes such as the hero and the "Enchanter in the Cave," the objectivism of Rick Grimes, and the failure of science in the zombie apocalypse.

I enjoyed it and feel like it gave me a greater depth of insight to the show (and eventually to the comics, when I read them), but if you aren't a fan of either, you won't have much of a point of reference or interest.
Mark Mullins
Enjoyable and a few thought-provoking ideas especially on gender, tv violence and the notion that in order to survive a zombie apocalypse you have to become like a zombie. For zombie fans only? Or a gateway for those who dismiss the genre. Focus is on Kirkman's comic books and the tv series but places it in the context of grandpa Romero. Watch out for spoilers mostly due to inclusion of comic book story lines.
John Shaw
not as a comic
& certainly not as
a TV show.
But it does.
It is a magnificent success
In every field it excels beyond
any expectation.
The Walking Dead proves two things
beyond doubt.
1) Brilliant story telling will always prevail
2) People really dig zombies
Jutta
May 17, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
i wish they had waited to write this till at least after season 2. the first season was only 6 episodes, and while they did a great job, it was really just an intro to the characters. i would rather have read essays written after the series had a chance to develop the characters and arcs more.
Clayton Bye
Just posted TRIUMPH OF THE WALKING DEAD, a series of essays regarding Robert Kirkman's Zombie epic on page and on screen... http://horror.thedeepening.com/2012/0...
Amanda
Mar 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent! This is a collection of literate and thoughtful essays which explore the various themes: philosophical, historical and cultural raised by the current AMC drama The Walking Dead. I would reccomend this book to anyone who enjoys that show. That means you Doreen and Shannon.
Mert
Jun 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some interesting essays in here. Oddly enough, I found one that talked about character motivation, evolution, and survival in terms of objectivist principles particularly thought provoking
Porkpie
rated it did not like it
Dec 09, 2012
  • Z1n1: The Zombie Pandemic: 2012 Was Just the Beginning
  • The Mammoth Book of Zombies
  • Zombies vs. Robots Complete
  • Fringe Science: Parallel Universes, White Tulips, and Mad Scientists
  • Unraveling the Mysteries of The Big Bang Theory (Updated Edition): An Unabashedly Unauthorized TV Show Companion
  • FVZA: The Federal Vampire and Zombie Agency
  • Lakewood Memorial
  • The Walking Dead Chronicles
  • Land of the Dead
  • Zombies: A Field Guide to the Walking Dead
  • Origin to Exile (Day by Day Armageddon, #1-2 Omnibus)
  • Reign of the Dead
  • Xombies
aka Richard Awlinson, J D Lowder

James Lowder has worked extensively in fantasy and horror fiction on both sides of the editorial blotter. He's authored several best-selling dark fantasy novels and has had short fiction appear in such anthologies as Shadows Over Baker Street and The Repentant. He's penned comic book scripts for several companies and the city of Boston. His book and film reviews, fe
More about James Lowder...