Start by marking “Westward Weird” as Want to Read:
Westward Weird

Westward Weird

(InCryptid 0.01 - The Flower of Arizona)

From a Western circus where monsters and heroes collide to a Civil War robot that clanks into battle to a mining family that encounters parallel universes, "Westward Weird" features 13 original stories that open the Old West to new frontiers of science fiction and fantasy.

“The Temptation of Eustace Prudence McAllen,” copyright © 2012 by Joseph E. Lake, Jr.
“The Last Master
Published February 7th 2012 by DAW (first published February 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Westward Weird, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Westward Weird

Angela
Only read The Flower of Arizona by Seanan McGuire because InCyptid - nice intro to Jonathan and Fran. I love their meeting and the Aeslin mouse (who is very sure of Fran's place even though Jonathan may not be).

I was a little bummed that the "monster" problem had to be resolved in the way it was, but I was glad that the person taking advantage was handled.

Quick and short story. Fun history into the Healy-Price family.
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
I started reading this without any expectations and ended up loving it. There are thirteen stories in this collection and while you might consider some stories better than others, as a whole this anthology has a great selection. There is not one universal theme unless you count the feeling of old West with a dash of supernatural as one. And that's just what it is - a feeling - because not all of these stories are set in the past, nor are all in the wild wild west.
(view spoiler)
Maria Dimitrova
Jan 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Review only for the InCryptid story included.

Rating 3.45 stars.

This is the story in which Jonathan Healy meets his future bride Frances Brown. Since I'm familiar with both the quotes from the novels and some of the short stories featuring her, I knew she was a delightfully violent woman but I didn't expect that level of violence from the start. There were moments when I wondered if she isn't some long lost member of the family because damn she makes the rest of them seem like pacifists. So many
Wanda
A fun collection of stories for the end of a long week, when you’re too tired to tackle serious literature and your attention span is that of a gerbil.

Somehow, the mixture of science fiction and fantasy with the western is a genre mash-up made in heaven. I enjoyed all the stories in the volume, but I had specially chosen it for the Seanan McGuire offering, The Flower of Arizona. McGuire did not disappoint, although I did think that if you were new to the InCryptid world, you might not have the
Molly
And now, I proudly present *cough*

Westward Weird or How I Tricked Myself To Read Something I Had No Intention of Reading aka Forgive Me, It's 38°C Outside

(Not necessarily a review)

So, sometimes I pick a book based on a cover (at times, I'm shallow)

Here's an example ... I see this cover...

description

I immediately think of the movie Westworld ...

then obviously ...

and inescapably...

Then I start to hum ... and than sing

Shall we dance?
On a bright cloud of music shall we fly?
Shall we dance?
Shal
Jammies
Apr 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: steampunk
Some day, I will have a chance to use the phrase "Hail, Priestess of Unexpected Violence!"

I hope it's soon.
Molly
What delightful little story this was. Rating 4.5

description

A spoonful of mystery, a sprinkle of wild west, a bunch of humor, a couple of likable leads an a bag full of adorable mice. Delicious.

“Your horse is named ‘Rabbit’?” asked Jonathan.
“Your mouse talks,” countered Fran. “I don’t think you get to say a word.”
“Fair enough,” Jonathan said. “Please continue.

Nice way to draw a reader into a series.

“All aboard for Phoenix, Prescott, Ash Fork, and all points east!”

The Adventure Begins...
Louisa
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great short story, loved getting to know some of Verity's relatives! Can't wait to read more!
Carolyn F.
Anthology. My rating average is 3.42 stars which is better than I thought it would end up. So worth a read.

1. The Temptation of Eustace Prudence McAllen by Jay Lake. This story was chock full of metaphors. As short of a story as it is, if you made a drinking game out of reading a metaphor you'd probably have alcohol poisoning. **

2. The Last Master of Aeuronautical Winters by Larry D. Sweazy. Entertaining story. I couldn't figure out whether Buffalo Bill Cody was a good guy or a bad guy. And the
Aiyana
Fun little collection of Western stories... with a twist. Fantasy and science fiction fit in well with frontier-style storytelling. Highlights include J Steven York's "The Clockwork Cowboy," Christopher McKitterick's "Surveyor of Mars," and excellent contributions by Dean Wesley Smith and Seanan McGuire.
Sonia
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: incryptid
Only read the Incryptid short-story

Fran is really something :)
Benjamin Thomas
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
A nice, fun collection of 13 short stories set in the Ol' West but featuring something that one doesn't normally find in western literature. Some feature science fiction elements like robot sheriffs, or bounty hunters while others lean more toward horror in the form of some sort of supernatural presence that needs to be dealt with. Many readers pick up this volume only for the story, "The Flower of Arizona" by Seanan McGuire which is part of her InCryptid urban fantasy series. I haven't read any ...more
Tani
Like so many others, I read this for the Incryptid short story, which didn't disappoint. I did read all of the other stories in the anthology as well. I took too long reading to really comment on them all, but nothing stood out as particularly great or particularly terrible. Favorites (weighted toward the end of the book since I read those this morning rather than 3 months ago) were "The Flower of Arizona" by Seanan McGuire, "The Ghost in the Doctor" by Brenda Cooper, "The Clockwork Cowboy" by J ...more
Amyiw
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Flower of Arizona by Seanan McGuire

This is the only one I read which is an Incryptid short about Johnathan Healey investigating The Campbell Family Circus and strange deaths happening. He meets Fran, a horse riding, knife throwing, performer and they figure out what or who has been killing near the circus. Best was the Aisling mouse that was along for the ride.

Very short.
CatBookMom
Borrowed this to read the Seanan McGuire "The Flower of Arizona" story from her Incryptid series, found myself reading all the stories. As with any anthology, some are better than others. One of the stories I particularly liked was the J. Steven York story "The Clockwork Cowboy", about a town of mechanical people fighting a human rancher's threat of cutting off their water supply.
Colleen
Feb 28, 2012 rated it liked it
This anthology is an alternate history/fantasy/science fiction presentation of tales of the Old West. Well, except when the Old West is actually a colony on Mars (go read L Neil Smith's Pallas). Or when there is a crystal cave with time traveling powers. But hey, I can roll with the general theme. Like most anthologies, there were really good and only mediocre stories collected together.

The back of the book did a pretty good job describing it. While there is an Old West theme going on here, nea
Apr 05, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I'm not marking this as read or giving it a rating yet because I've currently only read one short story from the anthology. I do intend to come back to it and read the rest at some point though so I'll update this review when I get around to it.

4 stars for The Flower of Arizona by Seanan McGuire:
Read: 5th April 2016
Although The Flower of Arizona is the first story about Jonathan and Frances it's actually the third one I've read since I downloaded a couple of the freebies from Seanan McGuire's we
Cathy
Dec 21, 2015 marked it as partially-read-was-enough
I only got it out of the library to read Seanan McGuire's story, The Flower of Arizona. I saw it advertised when it was release, but weird westerns aren't really my thing, even though the author line-up seemed OK. It's hard for me to put away an anthology without reading it these days, but this one didn't tempt me too much. Seanan's story was a good meet-cute story for fans of her InCryptid series. The grandparents of the current generation of heroines and heroes, Jonathan and Francis, met in Ar ...more
Hali Sowle
Jul 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Not a bad anthology of science fiction/fantasy with an old west theme. I bought this book for one reason - to read Seanan Mcguires "Flower of Arizona" which is the .01 of the Incryptid series, the .02 and .03 being available on her website. That was the best read in the book as far as I was concerned. The rest were good, but none led me to want to go out and purchase any more of their authors books.
Ivy
May 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice to know how Jonathan and Fran met. Wonder what it would be like in the old West. Can't wait to read more of Jonathan and Fran!
Dr susan
Jul 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Writing a review for an anthology is difficult if some of the stories aren't your cup of tea. Seanan Mcguire's story is an hysterical 5-- the Aeslin mice are priceless.
Emily
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great selection of urban fantasy stories in a Wild West sort of setting. I need to look into some of these writers.
Nicole
I really enjoyed some of the stories, while others were mediocre at best. I didn't keep detailed notes on which ones I felt which way about, and I won't be writing a more detailed review. I also didn't absolutely LOVE any of the stories. However, there were some fun concepts, some interesting plots and twists, and consistently good writing (technique) so this is certainly a compilation to pick up if it sounds interesting to you.
Fiona
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Review for The Flower of Arizona - though this definitely looks like a great anthology, so I'll update this in the future with a full review.

A fantastic introduction to the series (even for someone who's not exactly new to it), to the family, and to the Aeslin mice (who I'm starting to suspect may be the common thread to all this..)
Freyavenlyo
Some interesting stories but I read this mostly for Seanan McGuire's "The Flower of Arizona", the first Incryptid story with Jonathan Healy and Frances Brown.

FYI: If you like them too, all of them, except for "The Flower of Arizona" and "Stingers and Strangers" are to be found here: http://seananmcguire.com/icshorts.php

Courtney
I only read Seanan McGuire's story, "The Flower of Arizona" - so far. As always, it's amazing!
Mary
Apr 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
Read for InCryptid Series, haven't finished the rest yet.
Hallie
Oct 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Pretty much all just sorta meh; none of these really stood out, and Flower of Arizona was honestly kinda disappointing for a Seanan McGuire short.
Meredith
Jun 12, 2018 rated it liked it
This review is just for The Flower of Arizona.

What a fantastic 'intro' to the Healys.

Read 12.June.2018
  • Dead Man's Hand: An Anthology of the Weird West
  • One Hell of a Ride (InCryptid, #0.02)
  • Hex in the City (Fiction River, #5)
  • Glitter & Mayhem
  • Human Tales
  • The Modern Fae's Guide to Surviving Humanity
  • The Slayer (The Legend Chronicles, #2)
  • Games Creatures Play
Martin Harry Greenberg was an American academic and speculative fiction anthologist. In all, he compiled 1,298 anthologies and commissioned over 8,200 original short stories. He founded Tekno Books, a packager of more than 2000 published books. In addition, he was a co-founder of the Sci-Fi Channel.

For the 1950s anthologist and publisher of Gnome Press, see Martin Greenberg.

InCryptid (8 books)
  • Discount Armageddon (InCryptid, #1)
  • Midnight Blue-Light Special (InCryptid, #2)
  • Half-Off Ragnarok (InCryptid, #3)
  • Pocket Apocalypse (InCryptid, #4)
  • Chaos Choreography (InCryptid, #5)
  • Magic for Nothing (InCryptid, #6)
  • Tricks for Free (InCryptid, #7)
  • That Ain’t Witchcraft (InCryptid, #8)