Start by marking “Tiger Born” as Want to Read:
Tiger Born

Tiger Born (Demon Age Series #1)

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  36 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Je'Rol is a man destined to die. Each day is a blessing and a curse on a world where he and those like him are feared and hunted. Like all half-blood demonlords, he is prone to blood rages in which he loses his humanity a little more each time. He can only delay the inevitable end when he will lose himself forever.

Before that happens, he hopes to find peace, but his quest
Published September 15th 2011 by Praire Star Publishing (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Tiger Born, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tiger Born

Nicky Cartwright Pashley
I really enjoyed this book. Derandria is populated by Demonlords (the ultimate rulers ~ with each region ruled by different Demonlord clans) who are animalistic predators in their natural form but often also take on the appearance of humans (although their beauty marks them as different). Many Demonlords enjoy the taste of human flesh!

There are different types of humans. There are human leaders of various regions, ordinary humans, Adepts (who have the power of dispirit and many of whom are demon
Jessica Allred
Aug 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was really good. I didn't know what to expect at first. But, I was slowly dragged into the story and quickly became attached to the characters and their problems.

The society reminds me of feudal lords and serfs. However, this story also involves a different type of magic system that puts a twist on things. Though I'm not going to spoil anything. You'll just have to read it and see for yourself!

A definite referral to anyone remotely interested.
Scott Hume
Jun 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting dark fantasy novel about a man who is half demon. M.A. Nilles does an excellent job of describing a world filled with complex characters without overcomplicating the plot. The novel leaves plenty of room for sequels and I look forward to reading them.
**✿❀ Maki ❀✿**
It took me a while to get into this book. The first...half of this book, I would say, was almost nothing but Je'Rol getting captured by someone, trying to murder them for daring to restrain him, and then growling in frustration because there was absolutely no way for him to escape. And then escaping, anyway.

After Nadia was introduced was when the plot really took off, and the story became a lot more interesting. She and a lot of the "rebellion" demonlords helped make the book readable - if it ha
Literarycat
I am so excited that I received Tiger Born as a Goodreads Firstread. Tiger Born is a compelling story of a demon halfblood Je'Rol and his journey to find the truth and a way to control his demon side. He has to fight his way from the hands of a soceress and the man she works for to escaping death at his tribes hand. M.A. Niles does a wonderful job writing this novel. The images she depicts are very well done and the story line is interesting as well. The way the novel ended makes me wonder if th ...more
Matthew
I won this book in a goodreads giveaway. This book is set in a very interesting and unique world, however, after keeping this book on the nightstand for two months, I found myself only halfway through the book and not staying interested enough to want to finish it. I think what kept me from getting drawn into the book was that I didn't feel a connection with the main character and ultimately found myself not really caring about his plight. The constantly shifting secondary characters made it ver ...more
Heidi Garrett
Mar 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderfully creative fantasy. The world of demonlords, half-bloods, sorcerers, and goblins was refreshing. I liked the main character Je'Rol, and the supporting cast. There were a few points where things got confusing, and I would have enjoyed if more of Je'Rols and Nadia's inner dialogue had been externalized. It had a strong—and unexpected—ending. If you enjoy tigers, fantasies, or just something different, I recommend Tiger Born.

I wrote a little bit more about my experience reading
Veronica
I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

I did enjoy the story and the characters, though I did feel that it was more of a slow moving story, but it was also outside of my regular reading genre so that probably added to it. I also found it very descriptive which I feel has been hard to find in many books. It made envisioning the world that much easier and more alive.

For me, I'd consider it a one time read, but for those who are more into just fantasy, I'd highly recommend it.
Marcus
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great start to what has the potential to be a great series. It has everything that a reader needs, an epic quest, a tortured hero/anti hero, immense odds against success, an unrelenting enemy, a little romance, and plenty of blood and Gore. A very good read.
James
Apr 30, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I was lucky enough to have won this book through the goodreads "First Reads" Giveaway! Thank you so much!! I can't wait to read it when it comes in! It sounds really interesting! :D
Bethany
Apr 28, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Reading this book at the moment. So far I am finding it to be an unusual dark fantasy. Not very pacey but interesting enough to keep coming back to. I won this through 'first-reads', Thank you!
Michelle
Dorian Black
rated it it was ok
Apr 08, 2013
Melanie
rated it did not like it
Nov 24, 2012
Sep 18, 2015
Gort
Apr 11, 2015
  • Don't Call Me Angel
  • The Demon Hunter Saga (Demon Hunter, #1-3)
  • Siren Song
  • Blood Lilies (Blood Wars Trilogy #1)
  • The Hero Chronicles: A Complete Collection
  • Angelus (The Human Genus, #1)
  • Metamorphosis
  • Armageddon Yellowstone: Hell Unleashed
  • Jack Templar, Monster Hunter (The Templar Chronicles, #1)
  • Exiled (The Never Chronicles, #1)
  • The Treeman (The Hanningdon Magic Series, #1)
  • The Other Side
  • A Song in the Night: A Memoir of Resilience
  • The Hunter's Rede (Chronicles of Ealiron, #1)
  • The Convert
  • Morrigan's Brood (Morrigan's Brood, #1)
  • Strangeworld (One: The Mortifera)
  • The Norseman (The Norseman Chronicles, #1)
Born and raised in North Dakota, Melanie Nilles continues to call the state home. Her interest in science fiction and fantasy was planted as a child and, through the years, she fed her imagination with books and movies. Not until college, however, did she start her first novels. By the time she finished college with a Bachelor of Science degree from North Dakota State University in Fargo, North Da ...more
More about M.A. Nilles...

Demon Age Series (2 books)
  • Spirit Blade (Demon Age Book 2)