Start by marking “Terrarium Craft: Create 50 Magical, Miniature Worlds” as Want to Read:
Terrarium Craft: Create 50 Magical, Miniature Worlds

Terrarium Craft: Create 50 Magical, Miniature Worlds

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  387 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
If you've always wanted to have a bit of nature in your own home, without the worry and labor of a garden, this book will show you exactly how to create your own unique, enchanting world inside a terrarium.
Published April 25th 2011 by Timber Press (OR) (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Terrarium Craft, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Terrarium Craft

jess
Jun 27, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: growing, craft, 2011
I am a big, big fan of terrariums, as evidenced by the half dozen of them sprinkled around my house. And, small aside, I appear to have inadvertently passed this onto my stepson, who has been caught stealing pearlite from my stash in recent weeks and begging to go to antique stores for interesting glassware. whoops! Generally I prefer the 1970s "A World Under Glass" sort of terrarium books. If you've been my GR friend for long, you have read my rants at other terrarium books. So it was almost po ...more
Terri Lynn
Nov 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gardening
First of all, I have no idea why the description of this book says that it is in Korean. It is not. It is in English.

I have always loved terrariums from the time I was a little girl and we made them in school. These are definitely NOT like those school terrariums. This is much more upscale and artistic. This book marries art/crafting with nature to create decorations you will be proud to display in your home or give as gifts. Sources for the things you will need are given so you are not left fl
Pipper
Jan 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Terrarium Craft: Create 50 Magical, Miniature Worlds by Amy Bryant Aiello is a great book to read over and over again for creative beautiful ideas. Terrariums are little or big containers filled with trinkets, plants, grains (sand, dirt), even shells. This book doesn't have any characters except if you count the terrariums. The book has many designs and ways to create your own little terrarium, or jar filled with stuff that you want. Anyway, Terrarium Craft is a great book to have. I recommend t ...more
Tamara
Jul 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, oh, oh...!

I want to hug this book. Page 67, page 72, page 169...

Most certainly the best DIY guide I've seen for terrariums, but I still wish someone like the Franklin Park Conservatory would buy all of the supplies & offer a class to take some of the guesswork out of the process. (Hint, hint, hint.)

Bert
Oct 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've yet to make my first terrarium, but this delightful little book has got me pretty pumped to start. Visually beautiful and easy to follow, with cute descriptions of each design like 'a little bit doting grandma, a little bit sassy young auntie' - our flat is going to look super-Seventies when i'm done with this shit.
Pam
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice book to help you make your own terrarium
Alethea A
Sep 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full review and giveaway (ends 9/15/2012) at http://rnslnitelite.blogspot.com/2012...
- - -

I confess: after downloading the review copy on Netgalley, I placed an order for my own copy straight away. Amy Bryant Aiello owns Artemisia, a store that sells terrarium supplies as well as teaches workshops on how to put them together. Kate Bryant is an author and contributes articles about plants and gardening to publications like Portland Monthly. Together they have created a great beginner's book that
Linda B
Oct 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My love for terrariums goes back to the 1970s when those large, spaceship-style plastic orbs were so popular. Terrarium Craft by Amy Bryant Aiello and Kate Bryant is a wonderful book that has inspired me to bring some updated terrariums back into my home.

What I liked most about the book is that that the authors’ creations are from found materials. Instead of expensive Wardian cases, this book shows how to create beautiful scenes from a variety of glass objects you may have around the house or so
Kimberly Bower MLIS (gladeslibrarian)
Terrarium Craft is a colorful feast for the eyes. The photographer’s attention to detail reveals the highlights of each small terrarium. At 9 x 8” it falls short of the customary size of a coffee table book, but it would serve well there nonetheless. Terrarium Craft’s intended purpose is for crafters. Each terrarium is shown on a full page. The facing page lists the necessary supplies, directions and care instructions. The author also includes a brief paragraph where she shares the thoughts that ...more
Stacy
Mar 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star-books, craft
My daughter is a crafter and she loves making arrangements of various things so this book jumped out at me when it appeared in my Recommendations. I requested it and was not disappointed. My daughter (who is 8) has gone through this book several times and made lists of all the things she wanted to use. We didn't recreate any terrariums from this book but it certainly inspired us. In the past week she has made at least a dozen terrariums, all with glass items from around the house or from Goodwil ...more
Heather
Jan 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not only is this book lovely to look at, but it also gives a lot of useful advice. Of particular interest are the descriptions of care and treatment of various types of terrarium-worthy plants and the descriptions of soil mixes. This book will be useful to those who want to try out a terrarium as well as those who want to learn a little bit more about exotic houseplants. I certainly saw a few I've never seen before! I think this will be a good source of inspiration whether the reader attempts to ...more
Midsummer ❁◕‿◕❁
Oct 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crafts
I have also wanted to know more about creating a terrarium but was not able to find more information on various terrariums which one could create.

This book contains a very detailed introductions of all the materials required for making a terrarium.

There are many featured terrariums photos in this book that would interested many terrarium fanatics. As the saying goes, a picture paints a thousand words

For each making of terrariums of different designs, the authors have listed out the materials and
Rebecca
Oct 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rebecca by: Tamara
I only looked at the pictures, but if I find myself feeling ambitious, I'd love to try some of these. They seem to have houseplants beat because of 1) cat-proofiness, 2) textures (sand, polished rocks, multiple kinds of plants), 3) low-maintenance if you want to keep plants in the winter or are a Plant Forgetter like me, and 4) artisticness -- add crystals, shells, tiny props, cool-shaped containers, etc. Beautifully photographed.
Dec 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Terrarium Craft is a must read if you are considering making your own terrarium. Even if you weren't thinking about making one, you will be inspired by all the beautiful creations in this book. This book takes you through selection of a container and supplies needed and then proceeds to show forest, beach, desert, fantasy terrariums and how to make them. I would recommend this book for purchase for libraries since terrariums becoming more popular.
Terryann
what a wonderful, magical book. i've never even thought of doing a terrarium before, beyond my beta fish bowl anyway. i loved the pictures (again, my nook is only b/w so i'm sure they're even more beautiful than i saw). the whimsical, far-out, spacy and amazing little worlds are really worth a look. a beautiful gift idea for a crafty chica.
Xan
Oct 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-stuff
I love plants and green growing things, but I'm not really one for going out and digging in the dirt. I have a few growing things indoors, (mostly what my cat has deemed inedible). But this book has some fairly clean, and cat proof looking ideas. The pictures are wonderful, the instructions easy and concise. If nothing else you should be inspired to put things in pots.
Westerville
Jul 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The forest terrariums are by far my favorites, but the fantasy ones are magical as well. Love how each terrarium is presented with a recipe." - Tamara, Web Content Librarian

Reserve a library copy!
Josiah
Jan 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Plot: B
Writing: B
Vocabulary: B
Level: Easy
Rating: G
Worldview: Find beauty in nature and express creativity with various objects

This is a very helpful primer on how to create a miniature terrarium. Content includes common materials, plant care, and models for forest, beach, desert, and fantasy terrarium themes. I highly recommend this book to gardeners, interior decorators, and kids.
Jenna
Oct 01, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: how-to
This book is incredibly lovely and quite inspiring, but I found it somewhat lacking in actual instruction. The resources list at the end was fairly useful, but creating the exact designs included in the book seems cost-prohibitive, to say the least. The book did inspire me to create 3 terrariums, though. More practical advice would have bumped this book up to 4 stars, for sure.
Natalie
Beautiful, inspiring pictures and lots of ideas. Of the 3 books I've read on terrariums this one hit closest to my preferred asthetic. Designs were recreations of nature scenes and used a variety of objects to create vignettes. Unfortunately the instructions and plants used were the farthest from the variety that I have been working with.
Alexis
Jul 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Beautiful book. Think that the photos should've had captions (it wasn't always clear which sand or stone was what) and it would've been nice to have a shopping directory. Otherwise... Absolutely beautiful and inspiring.
Lily
Jan 16, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
I didn't realize how conceptual terrariums could be until I read (and by read, I mean "looked at the pictures and captions in") this book. I mean, think about it: A tiny cluster of plants in a raindrop shaped terrarium. Oh, the layered meaning! Who knew?
Jessica
Aug 24, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: craft
An interesting (and often impractical) look at making terrariums large and small. Most of the items you need to make the projects in the book are hard to find (think specialty craft store, expensive, and mostly like a one time use thing. Great for getting ideas though.
LemontreeLime
Now THIS was a great crafty book, seductive with images of things you wish you had and ideas you could maybe actually pull off... I felt a rushing urge to make a terrarium in spite of my cat from hell. These concept baubles were just that cool.
Brianna Sowinski
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Decent how-to information and plenty of inspiration/how to make this exact example if that is what you'd want to do.
I don't understand why the author is so obsessed with sand. None of the examples give the plants any more soil than they are originally potted with, seemed strange.
Herschel Lisette
If you want to build a pleasing terrarium that will probably die, go for this book. This book loves using succulents like cacti to build terrariums. Given that terrariums are high in humidity, cacti might die in this environment.
Kristi
Mar 18, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: craft
There was some really nice eye candy and inspiration in this book, but I found it a tad lacking in the instruction area. I'm glad I checked it out from the library before deciding to purchase it. I don't feel there was enough content to warrant my purchasing it.
Krista
Nov 16, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful pictures but not as informative as I was hoping. Great directions if you want to replicate the given design ideas, but in terms of how to effectively put a terrarium together (i.e. not kill anything)- not so great.
Beverly J.
Mar 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my golly goshes! Such pretties! I was looking for inspiration for a new terrarium and this gave me that and so much more!
Siobhan
Dec 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Great book for the beginner (me), it explains the various conponents and styles in a creative way.
  • The New Terrarium: Creating Beautiful Displays for Plants and Nature
  • Tiny World Terrariums: A Step-by-Step Guide to Easily Contained Life
  • Doodle Stitching: the motif collection
  • Lotta Prints: How to Print with Anything, from Potatoes to Linoleum
  • Crafting a Meaningful Home: 27 DIY Projects to Tell Stories, Hold Memories, and Celebrate Family Heritage
  • The Repurposed Library
  • Witch Craft: Wicked Accessories, Creepy-Cute Toys, Magical Treats, and More!
  • Home-Ec 101: Skills for Everyday Living - Cook it, Clean it, Fix it, Wash it
  • Small-Space Container Gardens: Transform Your Balcony, Porch, or Patio with Fruits, Flowers, Foliage, and Herbs
  • Craft Activism: People, Ideas, and Projects from the New Community of Handmade and How You Can Join in
  • Design*Sponge at Home
  • 1000 Ideas for Creative Reuse: Remake, Restyle, Recycle, Renew
  • Sublime Stitching: Hundreds of Hip Embroidery Patterns and How-To
  • Sugar Snaps and Strawberries: Simple Solutions for Creating Your Own Small-Space Edible Garden
  • Craftivity: 40 Projects for the DIY Lifestyle

$7.74 $1.99
  • The Autobiography of Malcolm X
    $7.99 $1.99
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All Over But the Shoutin'
    $11.99 $2.99