Start by marking “The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language” as Want to Read:
The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language

The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language

The all-new Fourth Edition of the American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language offers more information about the language, in a more accessible format, than any other dictionary in its class. And its elegant, inviting design makes it the most handsome reference book on the market.

The Editors of the American Heritage® Dictionary have added over 10,000 new words and
Hardcover, Fourth Edition, 2112 pages
Published September 14th 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published July 15th 1970)

Wendy
Jul 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: students, authors, and editors
My favorite dictionary! It includes great color photos and excellent usage notes. With misspellings and misuses rampant in on-line dictionaries, this is my go-to trustworthy resource when I'm editing.
Rebecca
NPR recommends this new edition (now includes "asshat"!) as a gift.
Yuki Shimmyo
Dec 06, 2011 marked it as browsing-or-reference  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wishlist, tsundoku
They've added "asshat"!
Joshua Polanski
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My go to dictionary; I don't go anywhere without stuffing it into my backpack. This is a must have for any writer, no matter what they write.

I know of no other dictionary that provides what American Heritage provides: expert linguistic advice on usage, an account of the word origin, and thousands of "word histories." To top it all off, the dictionary records each definition in order of usage, rather than the normal "which came first."

If you write, you need a copy.
Ginger Heskett
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Michele
Jun 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Item Title: The American heritage dictionary of the English language (5th ed.). (2011). Boston, MA: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

Citation created by: Michele Powell

Format: Dictionary

Call Number: 423 AME

Description: The fifth edition of this comprehensive dictionary includes 10,000 new entries, the addition of synonyms, and updates to usage notes, example sentences, and word histories. The new edition of The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language continues to use color illustrations a
Robbie Biddle
Jun 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference-shelf
The American Heritage dictionary for learners of English (2002). Boston: Houghton Mifflin.
Citation by: Robbie Biddle

Type of Reference: Dictionary

Call Number: Ref 423

Content/Scope: The dictionary has added over 10,000 new words to this new edition. This dictionary primarily targets ninth through twelfth grade students. It contains color illustrations, all countries have maps associated with them, and is considered unique for the usage notes written by the contributors.

Accuracy/Authority/Bias: Thi
Ashley Hill
APA: (2011). The American heritage dictionary of the English language. (5th ed.). Boston, MA: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
Citation by: Ashley Hill

Type of Reference: Dictionary

Call Number: 423

Description: This is a dictionary that is updated including new words that have developed since the last dictionary was published such as fracking, podcast, etc.

Relevance and Relationship: This is a relevant resource, especially as an updated resource in comparison to the other dictionaries in the library.
Carrie Fitch
Review by Carrie Fitch

The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language (5th ed.).(2011). Boston, MA: Houghton- Mifflin.

Description:

This dictionary is geared toward high school age students who do not need the pictures and bright colors of a children’s dictionary, but are not yet ready for a more scholarly dictionary. Credible individuals have contributed information about each entry including synonyms, parts of speech, origins, definitions and pronunciation.

Call Number: RR 423 AME

Profes
Kate
Nov 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: always-reading
Mine is the Fourth Edition (2006) and it is wonderful - such a delight to see beautiful photos illustrating exotic words, themselves defined with love. These aren't just definitions, mind you, these are ideas. The "Usage Panel" includes people I've followed forever (Geoffrey Nunberg, Margaret Atwood, Pat Conroy, Louis Auchincloss, Roy Blount, Jr., Wm. F. Buckley, Jr.,Henry Louis Gates, Jr., David Foster Wallace...and Erdich and Didion and Theroux {OH MY!})- their disagreements are duly noted too ...more
Anton Caldwell
American Heritage Dictionaries, Inc. (2001) The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language
ISBN-10: 0395825172, $11.68
Content/Scope: The entirety of the English Language, by definition. Literally.
Accuracy/Authority: American Heritage Dictionary is a widely-known and well-accepted publisher of American English dictionaries.
Arrangement/Presentation: No visuals, words in alphabetical order
Rationale: Every good reference collection should have various dictionaries.
Professional Review: http:
Stevie
Dec 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yes ... read it ... in college.

Best class I ever took, probably. And this is THE dictionary for American speakers of English... It's no OED, but still.... for something I can actually house in my dwelling, this is it! I have two editions, in fact - the one pictured here that I've has since college (poor thing is nearly coverless) and my new one I bought as a present to myself when I renewed my teaching license
Allison Lorraine
Sep 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
It was around the house in my childhood in the 70's--more comprhensive by far than Merriam-Webster, which I didn't encounter a preference for in others until I attended a community college! I loved the pictures. A WXRT (Chicago radio station) broadcaster at one time before the Internet existed pointed out that it was marvelous because the word "cleavage" was illustrated using a photo of Marilyn Monroe!
Johanna
Dec 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"WORD HISTORY: The lowly kiosk where newspapers are sold or advertisements are posted is like a child in a fairy tale raised by humble parents but descended from kings. . . The open structures referred to by the Turkish word were used as summer houses in Turkey and Persia. The first recorded use of 'kiosk' in English refers to these Middle Eastern pavilions, which Europeans imitated in their own gardens and parks."
Robert
Dec 12, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
American Heritage Dictionary has definitions within it that are blatantly incorrect and that is what prompted the one star rating (especially since it is a dictionary and is meant to define terms properly). Furthermore, when notified of errors in their content, they shrug it off as unimportant and continue to disseminate misinformation. Truly, this is very poor conduct on their part and this dictionary deserves to be thrown in the fireplace with the rest of the literary trash.
Dave/Maggie Bean
Oct 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: language
Interesting. This one was in my list of recommendations.

Although I hadn't thought to add it, I've been using it for years. It certainly isn't the OED (What is?), but it's a good choice, especially for the price. Also in its favor: it's an etymological dictionary with a 45-page appendix of hypothetical Proto-Indo-European word roots.
Karen Hood
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A classic stand by to read for all who simply love wordsThe American Heritage Dictionary
Heather
I received this as a high school graduation gift over 20 years ago. Most times, words we look up are included, but my children get a kick out of the times when a word is too new for the "big dictionary" and we end up looking for its meaning online.
Gavin
Sep 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: old people who are afraid of their computers
Q: who in the room actually uses a print dictionary if they've got wireless internet?
A: Nobody!

So, before the dictionary goes the way of the do-do, the auroch, and the pay-phone ... go out and buy this excellent specimen. It's got pictures. It's got a picture of an auroch! Hot diggity dog.
Kristina  UK
May 03, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
an awesome dictionary, and i've been known to collect them...
Michael
May 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
I'm falling in love with this dictionary and particularly enjoying its etymologies.
Colin
The etymologies are not as good in the current edition as they were in the past . . . how sad . . .
Lauren
Nov 11, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, language
Yes, I actually did read the dictionary. It was the "text" book for a class I took in college. We had to read 50 pages a night.
Ryan Puff
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Words
Carmen
Dec 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
The right dictionary for you, for me, for everybody!
Jacob
Jul 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two words...cono tation.
Muqtadir Naqvi
Michael Hogan
Jan 13, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People confused about words.
Though a little matter-of-fact, from A "aardvark" to Z "zymurgy" The American Heritage Dictionary can ameliorate your lexicon arsenal!
Michael
Sep 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All english speaking people
Shelves: reference
What can you say: an indispensable tool with many informative drawings tables and photos. I use it everyday!
Michael J.J. Tiffany
Jan 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference
My favorite English dictionary by a long shot, so to speak.
Goodreads Librari...: Combine 3 10 May 28, 2019 09:19AM
TODAY, December 9, 3 pm ET on The Halli Casser-Jayne Show: 1 1 Dec 09, 2015 03:28AM

• Roget's International Thesaurus
  • A Dictionary of Modern English Usage
  • Garner's Modern American Usage
  • Bartlett's Familiar Quotations: A Collection of Passages, Phrases and Proverbs Traced to Their Sources in Ancient and Modern Literature
  • Oxford American Writer's Thesaurus