Start by marking “Dance of Souls” as Want to Read:
Dance of Souls

Read Excerpt

Dance of Souls

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  29 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Sculptor Amy Freeman wakes one ordinary morning to find her 14-year-old son Zach gone, the only evidence of him a stray flake floating in the milky water of his cereal bowl. Seven years later, in the same California town, a middle-school science teacher (referred to by everyone except his girlfriend Roxana as "Mr. Candine") suddenly finds God. His revelation sets him on a ...more
Published September 29th 2011 by CreateSpace (first published August 8th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Dance of Souls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dance of Souls

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Dance of Souls
Kourtney
Dec 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Kalman's Dance of Souls is a terrific work of literary fiction. I savored her writing style. The elegant prose and the beautifully structured sentences led me onward. She employs inner monologue and changing point of view to make sure a well-rounded world takes shape on the page. Kalman weaves together several lives in such an unexpected way. From the beginning, you feel the underlying tension and sense that the characters are careening towards each other. The ending was completely satisfying an ...more
Diane Henders
Jan 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was beautifully written. The characters were absorbing and the writing style was elegant. I found the ending rather unresolved and there were some editing issues toward the end of the book, hence four stars instead of five. But I'm entirely prepared to admit that my dissatisfaction with the ending may be due to my lack of sophistication as a reader (I generally don't read much literary fiction). Regardless of my quibbles, this book is worth reading just for the joy of the prose.
Melanie Haynes
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Honestly I could not put this book down. The story line was easy to visualize and follow which is really good. I think anyone who enjoys reading current events and follows the news would love this book and go with a 5 star rating. What kept me reading though was the hook that was mentioned several times in the book that made you want to find out what the big event was that everyone was mentioning. You don't get the answer till the very last handful of words in the book. The thing is that you do ...more
Jackie Rogers
Sep 02, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a literary novel. Is full of disfunctional people. Begins with Amy and her son Zach at age 14 running away. Add other characters who intersect with these two and you have a complex read of folks in need of help. Is beautifully written and has a surprise ending that did not appeal to yours truly. Thanks to Goodreads.
Alex Reneski
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
The author has great skill with words, letting us feel both the mundane and sublime that occur every day. The plot involves many characters, but we don't see many relationships until near the end. It was enjoyable just reading some of the descriptions, but in the end, the lack of ability to really communicate between characters scatters some of the effect.

Book provided by goodreads
Crissy
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good read.
Elise Miller
May 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Audrey Kalman’s novel, Dance of Souls, is a treasury of character development in just 195 beautifully-styled pages. On all levels – language, character, and story – Kalman is a mature and accomplished writer, who know how to dig deep and get into the psyche’s of the most bizarre characters – but also those more prosaic souls who we can relate to as if they were the family next door.
Sculptor and divorced mom, Amy Freeman, creates huge, challenging, religiously-themed public art while wrestling
heather
Dec 21, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-ebooks
This novel starts with the story of Amy, a sculptor and Zach, a student; a mother and son introduced to us just as the son is running away from home. Throughout the book we are introduced to a public school science teacher whose finding of God causes drastic changes to his previously monotonous life; a documentary film maker and his assistant; a police officer; a Muslim woman; a school principal, a spoiled rich kid; and several others. All of these characters at first appear to have lives that h ...more
Max Tomlinson
Aug 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Exceptionally well-written literary novel

In Audrey Kalman’s debut novel, “Dance of Souls” is a modern sculpture created by one of the book’s many well-drawn characters, a woman whose son barely survives a horrific house fire. We soon realize that the book's title actually refers to the maneuverings and gyrations—intentional and otherwise—of the book’s inhabitants as they dance through the mysteries of life. So what might initially appear to be a well-written (extremely well-written!) collection
Eve
Jan 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Audrey is a good writer and has chosen a very challenging and intriguing topic. There are several subplots and themes that keep us turning the page. The big question remains unanswered however, which may or may not be intentional. All in all "Dance of Souls" keeps us reading and gets us to think - which is what it's all about.
Kimberly Westrope
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really liked the characters in this book and the way each of their stories unfolded and came together. I was a little disappointed in the way it ended after all the build up. I was expecting more of an impact as all the stories finally merged.

It was still a good story, though. Thoughtful, emotional, and well-written family and relationship drama.
Carrie
Jul 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indies
What a beautifully written book. The reader is intimately introduced to a number of characters whose lives intersect at various points throughout the novel, culminating in a page-turning climax. The reader constantly asks, "What's next?" Ms. Kalman is a talented writer, and I am amicably envious of her ability to string such lovely sentences together.
Shelley
May 21, 2016 marked it as to-read
Shelves: guest
Author's guest post at my blog:
Kathleen McCormick
May 01, 2018
Mobouikl X3
Oct 29, 2013
Patricia
rated it did not like it
Apr 24, 2018
Cecilia Howard
Sep 03, 2018
Lori Weiss Pedrotte
Dec 19, 2011
Audrey Kalman writes literary fiction with a dark edge, often about what goes awry when human connection is missing from our lives. She is the author of two novels, What Remains Unsaid and Dance of Souls. Her collection of short fiction, Tiny Shoes Dancing and Other Stories was published in 2018 and was shortlisted for the 2019 Rubery Book Award.

Many online and print journals have published her sh