Start by marking “No Flying in the House” as Want to Read:
No Flying in the House

No Flying in the House

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  2,365 Ratings  ·  307 Reviews
Most little girls have parents to take care of them, but not Annabel Tippens.She has Gloria, a tiny white dog who talks and wears a gold collar. Annabel never thought it was strange that she had Gloria instead of real parents. Until one day a wicked, wicked cat named Belinda comes to tell her the truth -- she's not just a little girl, she's a half-fairy!
And she can do lot
Published January 2nd 1998 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 1970)

To ask other readers questions about No Flying in the House, please sign up.

Wendy This was my very favorite book when I was six. I read and re-read my teacher's copy often enough that I still remember it over 40 years later.

Wendy Darling
Re-read for our chat! It's posted here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

And I highly recommend it for all little girls, and for reading with little girls. Or reading with anyone who might've yearned to be a fairy princess. (view spoiler)

-----------------------------

If you enjoy discovering/rediscovering classic children's and YA lit, btw, do join our new little group Kindred Spirits: htt
Rory
Nov 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: your favorite 7-year-old girl
This was my favorite book when I was in second grade. I must have read it almost a dozen times, each time wishing more and more than this could be MY story, that I could kiss MY elbow and fly around, that MY real parents would show up at the end, wonderful and magical, and that MY grandma was rich (actually, I think I thought my grandma was rich because she had a shower and an endless supply of those little cereal boxes).

And then, somehow, I totally forgot what the title of this book was. For 20
Lois
Aug 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This was one of my very, very favorite stories when I was a little girl and I am so thrilled I found it today at DI! (And, of course, sat down an re-read as soon as I got home!)
It is a charming story that begins with sweet little three-year-old girl, Annabel, and her devoted guardian, Gloria (a three inch tall talking dog), who suddenly show up on Mrs. Vancourt's Terrace one morning looking for a place to stay. Mrs. Vancourt, who has a passion for little things, only allows them to stay because
Catie
This was such a cute book! I'm so surprised I didn't hear about this when I was little. I would have been all over this when I was younger.

This was the February book choice for Midnight Garden's book club "Kindred Spirits".

Annabel Tippens seems like just a normal girl, but Annabel is actually quite special. Instead of having parents, she has an adorable tiny white dog who talks, wears a gold collar and knows how to do 367 tricks. Annabel never wonders about the unique nature of her life, until
Brenda
Dec 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Brenda by: Classic Read-a-long Kindred Spirits
Shelves: classic-s, readalong
Originally posted at Log Cabin Library

This month's pick for the Classic Read along with the Midnight Garden Book Group "Kindred Spirits" on Goodreads was another new to me book, No Flying in the House by Betty Brock. The book was first published in 1970, but seems to hold the test of time, I quite enjoyed it. In many ways it feels like a quiet story, not heavy on plot or messages, but draws on the desire of a little girl to have a family and to belong. Annabel is such a cute little girl and I wa
Bethany
Aug 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I remember reading this in the third grade and absolutely loving it. I recently came across it at a garage sale, bought it, and reread it. It's such a fun tale about a little girl, Annabel, discovering some unexplained magical powers and making a choice between power and family.
You can't help but love the 3-inch tall and wide dog named Gloria, who is her guardian. I was equally entranced by the room full of small wind-up golden, bejeweled figurines. It brought back such memories to read it agai
jshesman
Nov 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This was my FAVORITE book when I was little and I've finally re-discovered it. I am so happy! It took me forever to remember the title. Actually - I never "remembered" the title - I just remembered it was about a tiny talking dog and a little girl. Google did the rest. Wow - it is amazing how the illustrations still seem so familiar - I really remember them after all these years. I recommend this for any young girls who like magically touching stories. Sweet nostalgia ...
Trisha Smith
See my review and others here: http://onceuponatime-bookblog.blogspo...

This charming little book was written in 1970 by Betty Brock. It tells the story of Annabel Tippens - who seems like an ordinary girl, except for her tiny talking dog Gloria who has looked after her since she was a baby. But then Annabel meets a cat named Belinda and she learns that she may not be as ordinary as she thought. In fact, she may be a fairy whose parents were vanished years ago to mysterious island. And she may be
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
Apr 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: girls age 6-9 and their parents
Shelves: children
If you're as old as I am, or older, you know that Sabrina Spellman--half witch, half mortal--first appeared in Archie Comics in 1962. So the concept of half-mortal, half fairy girl who can fly (or at least levitate) was nothing new by the time this book was first published in 1970. It was awfully familiar to me, even though in this version the girl is 3 and her familiar is a white dog, not a black cat--only 3 inches by 3 inches, but a talking dog nevertheless. The author is American, though she ...more
Rebecca McNutt
Mar 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My god, the nostalgia! I hadn't read this book in years, but thanks to a member of Goodreads I remember the title now. No Flying in the House has a quality in it that children's books today are seriously lacking in. It's imaginative, with detailed illustrations, loveable characters and a friendship that can withstand anything. Unlike most children's book characters, Annabel is polite, kind and an intriguing child living in a house where her best friend and guardian is a little white dog named Gl ...more
Cami
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I was not expecting to love this as much as I did! I borrowed it from the library to read to my daughter. She loved it and so did I. It was such a cute story and if I'm being honest, I had to choke back tears while reading aloud to her for the last two chapters. This is a favorite!
Arnetha
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Love it from start to finish
Steph (loves water)
I LOVED LOVED LOVED this book as a little girl and could not remember the name...thank you so much, Goodreads! :)
j
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a great read-aloud for my 5-year-old daughter. Very Diana Wynne Jones, which was a nice surprise, as she's not quite ready for Crestomanci yet.
Matthew Hunter
Despite Brock publishing No Flying in the House in 1970, the year I was born, I'd never heard of the book till now. Our 5-year-old daughter Sigourney absolutely loved it! Main protagonist Annabel's six, so the age similarity made for interactive bedtime read-a-longs with plenty of interrupting questions. Gloria the three-inches-high-and-wide canine child guardian ratchets up the cuteness factor. Belinda the bad fairy turned golden cat with emerald eyes adds plenty of fun (and rage!), too. Really ...more
Ivan
May 24, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Betty Brock’s “The Shades” is one of my favorite little ‘lost’ children’s books. I say ‘lost’ because no one seems to remember it. Anyway, I went trolling for other books by Brock and discovered all the great reviews for her book “No Flying in the House.” I’ve just finished it. I thought it was whimsical and engaging. It’s a fantasy – yes, there is flying in the house. However, the resolution of the story soured the whole effort for me. Annabelle is forced to make a life choice that is ridiculou ...more
Julie Decker
Aug 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
Annabel appears to be an orphan living with Mrs. Vancourt with her teeny-weeny dog, Gloria. Gloria can dance and talk and actually takes pretty good care of Annabel. But then Annabel talks to a cat figurine and finds out she's part fairy, and though she's enjoying the new experiences her revelation brings her (including flying!), she also finds out that her parents can only be brought back if she makes a sacrifice.

I enjoy silly books about children affected by magic, but this book put me off bec
Alista
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I can say with certainty that this is one of the two books responsible for my love of reading. My mom used to read this out loud to me chapter by chapter each night before bed and every time we finished I would immediately request we start right back at the beginning. Needless to say my old copy has seen some better days. Recently while babysitting a little girl I learned to my delight that her first grade teacher was reading it to all of them, so I hope it remains the children's classic it dese ...more
Faith
Jan 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Annabelle doesn't know her parents. Gloria, her little white dog that is only three inches tall, claims that her parents will one day come back for her. Even Miss Peach, the housekeeper, is starting to doubt that her parents will come back for her. Everything changes one day when Annabelle meets a gold cat with emerald eyes.

Reasons I like this book-

Reason 1- I could not stop reading.

Reason 2- I could imagine what was happening.

Reason 3- It made me wonder, do faries exist?
Erica
May 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book was given to me by my third grade teacher, and I loved it. For the longest time I couldn't remember what it was called, just a few fuzzy details like the talking dog and the cabinet of miniature animals. But I finally tracked it down and my husband got it for me for my birthday this year! I immediately re-read it, and it was even better than I had remembered it the first time. A fantastic story, and a book I'm really happy to have again!
Lady Jayme,
The only thing unusual about Annabel is that she is has no parents and is being raised by a stern older woman and a talking dog named Gloria. Or so Annabel thinks. Then a mysterious visitor to the mansion lets slip the secret to her past--Annabel is half fairy and she can kiss her elbow to prove it. Once the secret is out, there is magic and secrets to uncover as Annabel learns not all fairies are good and she must make some difficult decisions.
The Library Lady
Oct 18, 2007 rated it really liked it
Got a little girl who loves fairies? Then she will love this story of Annabelle (who discovers she is a fairy), Gloria, the 3 inch high talking dog with a BIG secret, and an evil gold cat (with real emerald eyes) who has a secret of her own. Wonderful as a read aloud or for slightly older girls to read by themselves.
This book is not well known--and it should be, because it's been a favorite of little girls for decades!
Kim Hampton
I read this book out loud to my 9 year old daughter. I thought she would enjoy it, but I was surprised to find that I liked it too. It reminded me a little bit of Harry Potter but for a slightly younger audience.
Stephanie
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Like so many others have said, this was my very favorite book growing up. So fun seeing my two girls read it now.
Karen McQuestion
Dec 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I can see why this book is still in print after so many years. It's an easy, fun read with a certain timeless charm. I would have loved it as a child, and even as an adult, I really enjoyed it.
Kelly Anderson
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A fabulous, fanciful book, a very favorite from my childhood, that begs to be read aloud. My daughters (ages 6 and 9) loved this book and were sad when we finished it.
Katie
Loved it! More thoughts to follow as I gather my thoughts for the Kindred Spirits Middle Grade read-along discussion...
Willowy Whisper
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Just started reading this to my little sister. Read it years ago myself...and loved it so much!! Such a cute book.
Alicia
Read for a mother-daughter book club. Cute story. Great example of showing how sometimes you must choose to sacrifice for someone you love dearly.
Maren Prestegaard
Jun 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: elem, st-paul-library
Little M would give this a 5, myself a 3. She loved the idea of being part-mortal, part-fairy. And if forced to choose between her parents and flying, she would absolutely choose flying :)

• What the Witch Left
  • The Witch Family
  • Magic Elizabeth
  • Baby Island
  • Twig
  • Magic by the Lake (Tales of Magic, #3)
  • Time at the Top
  • The Best-Loved Doll
  • Into the Woods
  • The Secret Language
  • Something Queer is Going On (Something Queer Mysteries, #1)
  • The Little Leftover Witch
  • The Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet (Mushroom Planet, #1)
  • The Little Bookroom
  • Anna Hibiscus (Anna Hibiscus, #1)
  • Shadow Castle
  • The King with Six Friends
  • The River at Green Knowe (Green Knowe, #3)
More about Betty Brock...