Start by marking “Grandpa Hates the Bird: The Battle Begins (Story #1)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Grandpa Hates the Bird...

Eve Yohalem

Grandpa Hates the Bird: The Battle Begins (Story #1)

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  461 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
“I am no fool. I knew that if I wanted to make it to the end of the week alive, I would have to avoid upsetting Grandpa as much as possible. No singing, no playful nips, no jaunty bell.”

Bird and Grandpa stay home in Massachusetts while Mother, Father, Joseph and Maya head south for a winter holiday. When Grandpa determines to set tropical Bird free in freezing February, Bi
Nook, 0 pages
Published September 14th 2011 by Eve Yohalem, via Smashwords (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Grandpa Hates the Bird, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grandpa Hates the Bird

Karla
Jan 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: bird owners, lovers of dark kids' stories
I don't usually like reading stories with pets in them because the voice often doesn't sound right. However with this one, the narrator - a green-cheeked conure - reminded me oh-so-much of my mischievous twerp of a Derbyan parakeet, Robin Hood.

Here's the devious little troublemaker:

I don't know if Eve Yohalem owns birds, but with stuff like this she's either got experience with their quirky natures or has an accurate imagination:

* I suppose I could speak if I really wanted to, but, frankly, I ha
Linda Rae
Apr 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just adored this funny peek into--excuse the pun--a bird brain! I've always suspected that there is something really devious going on behind those blank, beady little eyes. Sure enough!

The Bird has to outwit grandpa in this first episode of the series. I've sent the Smashwords freebie link to my granddaughter and great-grandsons with high recommendation.

The Bird is good for a lot of laughs and, if you've ever owned a bird, what I suspect is a very accurate viewpoint of how a bird should best d
Tanya
Aug 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
So adorable! Bird's antics described in this cute story can easily make any reader who's ever owned a pet bird laugh. If you have some time for a very quick read and you're in need of something light and humorous to brighten your day, this book will suit you just fine.
Theresa Rash
Nov 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very cute!

love birds and this is cute bird tail from the birds prospective! . me and my 5 year old loved it!
Fran
Sep 22, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shorts, ya
I like it well enough to consider getting the others at some point in the future. I feel they'd probably work better all together. Certainly a higher quality free download; do track it down. I downloaded a copy from smashwords.
Amy Edgar
May 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's really funny, you should read this amazing(and funny) book.

It's really funny, you should read this amazing(and funny) book.

ha! ha! ha !ha !ha! this book is so funny. You should definitely read this book it's so good and funny.It is sure to keep you laughing for hours.
Hailey Marie Eddins
Greatest book ever

Greatest book ever

your book was awesome no more than awesome super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super sad super your book was more than that it is this long in numbers one two three four five six seven eight well it is way more

Peacegal
This is a very short story that just seems to drop off suddenly at the end, but, writing-wise, it is a far better selection than many of the free e-books I have encountered of late. Is it just me or does Grandpa seem to have his brains leaking out of his crainium on the cover art?
Heidi
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really thought this book was interesting

it was good but I really want to read.more books by Eve Yohalem she really is a good and interesting author and I just wanted to say it was a really good book and I really enjoyed it so thank you.
Melissa Storm
May 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As one who belongs to a sun conure, I can tell you the portrayal of Bird was accurate and adorable. 27-year-old me loved it, but I do think the talk of the cat's death and Grandpa's attempt to kill Bird may be too much for younger readers. Perhaps this is lower MG rather than a kid's book.
Ruth Deveronica
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even though this is a children's story, I enjoyed the antics of this bird and the lively grandpa. The story stopped suddenly, seems to be just a teaser to a series but I am hooked. Very good writing, love the characters.
Jannah Umbarger
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funniest kids book we have ever read at bedtime!

Funniest kids book we have ever read at bedtime!

This book was great. The kids and I laughed from start to finish! This author knows how to keep not only the kids entertained by the book but parents as well!!
Sylvia
Feb 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animal
I absolutely loved this book! I am not a child (and yes, my children are grown) but it was delightfully funny. I have a Quaker Parrot and reading about Bird made me laugh!
Lucy
Free book, likeable characters, cute premise. I'd read the rest of the collection, or better yet watch the characters as an animated short.
Faith Jurni Kay
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great

I loves it, it's wonderful and no boy oh boy that grandpa he is a big ole me any head!!!
Celine Castaneda
It's pretty good

(\_/)
(=':')
(,(")(")
I really thought the book was ok & average
It wasn't amazing but it was actually pretty funny
Hailey Marie Eddins
Awesome possum

cool great datails and awesome dialogue perfect description for animal war from people to animals like I said really good book
Jnase1
Nov 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious! The grandpa character reminded me of my dad. Quick, easy read, but very enjoyable. :)
jennifer james
My son found this book funny!!!

I choose four stars because my son kept laughing and wanted to read more about the bird. All in all good read.
Jennifer Ristovski
A animal out thinks a human in a hilarious way. my son liked made him laugh. I always new i loved bird that talked now i know why!
Darlene
Nov 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children of all ages, especially those who have had birds.
Recommended to Darlene by: Amazon Kindle freebie
Cute! My bet is on the bird as this is just the beginning battle and not the all out war.
Patrick Anyalewechi
Funny book

I like this book because it was fun to read and the text was funny. I rated it five stars because it was a book that I would personally like to read.
Brooke Trudel
Aug 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love it

I love the book it was funny and great!!!!!:):):):):):):):)
the book was a chapter book and the characters are funny and it was just amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carrie Torres
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
IT WAS A AWESOME AND interesting BOOK

IT WAS ONE OF MY READING DAYS AND I READ IT FOR THE FIRST TIME AND IT WAS AWESOME.
THANKS
Malika Rekni
Oct 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great

I loved it I read it the whole time I was on the plane I actually thought the bird was going to die

April Suter
A short kids story about the relationship between Grandpa and a bird.
Crys Bauermeister
Cute little read all from the bird's perspective. As the title implies the bird & grandpa have a thing. Good freebie from amazon.
Jessica Reno
Jan 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute

Very cute...loved the story a lot. Can not wait to read more of these with my son. He loved it.
VJ
Sep 15, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anticlimactic.
  • My Sparkling Misfortune (The Lakeland Knight #1)
  • 50 Shades of Gray Matter: Book 2 (The Swordsman Series)
  • The Royal Joust (Girls to the Rescue)
  • Garbage! Monster! Burp!
  • A Scaly Tale (Ripley's RBI, #1)
  • Hugo The Happy Starfish: The Secret to Happiness
  • Revolting Rhymes & Dirty Beasts
  • Guess Again!
  • Everything but the Horse
  • Mrs. Gorski, I Think I Have The Wiggle Fidgets
  • Tell Me Why (The Girl God #3)
  • Colossus: Stone & Steel
  • Are We Lost? A Raymond and Sheila Story
  • Growing Up Humming
  • NO EXIT (Exciting chapter book for kids 8-12) (The Apple Grove Gang)
  • Walt Whitman: Words for America
  • I'll Follow the Moon
  • Extract from Captain Stormfield's Visit to Heaven (Literary Classics)
I write books for kids. My first novel is called Escape Under the Forever Sky. It’s about the 13-year old daughter of the American ambassador to Ethiopia who gets kidnapped and has to find her way to freedom. I’ve also written a series of dark comic short stories for younger readers, inspired my dark comic dad, called Grandpa Hates the Bird. My latest book is Cast Off: The Strange Adventures of Pe ...more
More about Eve Yohalem...
“One day I’ll sneak a few drops of rat poison into that seed you love so much.” 0 likes
“would remain quiet in my cage,” 0 likes