Start by marking “Real Mermaids Don't Hold Their Breath (Real Mermaids, #2)” as Want to Read:
Real Mermaids Don't Hold Their Breath (Real Mermaids, #2)

Real Mermaids Don't Hold Their Breath (Real Mermaids #2)

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  1,066 Ratings  ·  76 Reviews
Normal is Never Coming Back

Jade is totally confused. As in, "will this be a leg-day or a tail-day?" kind of confused. Even worse, it's been forever since her first kiss with Luke and now--nothing. Not even a text message.

Sigh.

But Jade doesn't have time to figure out the weirdness of boys and how to use her shiny new tail. (Seriously, being a mermaid should come with a hand
Published May 1st 2012 by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky

Savannah (Books With Bite)
Cute story! Fun and fresh, I had no trouble diving into this book, falling into the world quickly.

Being that this book is the second and I still have not read the first, I did not have any trouble picking up where the author left off. The author does a great job on catching up the reader without it being too much. The subtle hints and past thoughts help the reader move at a smooth pace along with the story.

The plot line of this book is enjoyable. There is some action in it that made me feel gidd
Summer
Butterflies over Boutiques!

Cute and quirky. A fun quick read to relax before my upcoming finals. Kind of disappointed that the next book is not on Kindle Unlimited.

There is a bunch of fun humor within this book, so that was fun. Lots of fish puns. It was a quick read to help me stay on track with my reading challenge in between classes.

But I feel for the characters in this book, being a teen is hard. Especially when you end up getting a tail. But I also do not remember having as much freedom wh
Lindsay
Jade's summer starts off rather confusingly. She's never sure if it'll be a tail day or a legs day, she's heard nothing about her mom's whereabouts after she returned to the ocean, and while she might've been kissed by mer-boy Luke, it's been twenty-one days since and now... nothing. But she doesn't really have time to figure him out or how to use her new tail. The plan: find Mom and figure out a way to get her back on dry land. If only the ocean wasn't so big and frightening.

More than anything,
Alanna (The Flashlight Reader)
One word for this book: cute. The cover drew my attention first. I mean, how cute is it? I love that the mermaid tail is drawn on a chalk board and looks like it could or could not be attached to the girl. Super cute. That air of whimsy carries over into the book as well.

I did not read the first book in the series, but that didn't seem to matter. The author does a nice enough job of highlighting the main points from the earlier plot without retelling every single detail. As I've said, I had fun
Winter
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AWESOME!!!
Lisa Dickson
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The adventure continues and it's exciting and fun
Bonnie (A Backwards Story)
The second book in the Real Mermaids series, REAL MERMAIDS DON'T HOLD THEIR BREATH, doesn't let me down, remaining as humorous and fun as the first book, REAL MERMAIDS DON'T WEAR TOE RINGS, does. Jade continues to embrace the insecurities of adolescence the summer she turns fourteen. From the woes of whether or not a crush likes you back to chatting with your dad about the appropriate age for dating, Real Mermaids continues to tackle the issues most important to tweens while still building a fun ...more
Susan
Jul 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2012
Real Mermaids Don't Hold Their Breath is an extremely fun and quirky summer read that anyone is sure to enjoy. Jade's world is a massive ball of entwined confusion based on whether or not she'll be walking or swimming that day. There's wonderful suspense as she navigates the watery mystery of figuring out how to get her mermaid mother back on dry land, all while experiencing the coming-of-age angst that typical teenagers deal with on a daily basis. Things such as manuevering through the course ...more
Megan (The Book Babe)
[image error]

Due to copy and paste, formatting has been lost.

Real Mermaids Don't Hold Their Breath picked up right where Real Mermaids Don't Wear Toe Rings (what a mouthful of a name!) left off, which gave me a little bit of time to get back into the story, but it didn't really give me any time to get reacquainted with the characters. On the other hand, I don't have any confusion about what happened between books, (hint: nothing) because of the no-gaps-between-story-lines thing.

Jade was still
Z
Apr 28, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Real Mermaids Don’t Hold Their Breath Sourcebooks, Inc., 2012, 231 pp.
Hélène Boudreau ISBN 978-1-4022-6446-7

I picked this book to read from the library because it had an interesting title. It hooked me in from the very beginning and I was captivated. Being about mermaids, and other mystical creatures under the sea helped hook me in even more. The plot was different and the same as other stories. I feel like it has the same storyline as other stories only this one has mermaids in it. Overall, I w
Neariah
Real Mermaids Don't Hold Their Breath
Sourcebooks Jabberwocky,$6.99,231 pp.
Helene Boudreau
ISBN 978-1-4022-6446-7

"Real mermaids don't hold their breath,"-the perfect title for this book. Not only is it a reflection of the humor between the pages, but it also provides an insight into the plot. Helene Boudreau's book keeps you on your toes(or fin)while we join the heroine, Jade, on her journey to save the day for her family and community.

The main character, Jade, is no ordinary girl, she's part
Romancing the Book
Feb 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, paranormal
Reviewed by Aubrey
Book provided by NetGalley for review
Review originally posted at Romancing the Book

I love mermaids, everything about them. I feel compelled to read anything that has a storyline with mermaids. I did not realize till I was almost half way through the novel that this was actually the second novel in the series. I was quite impressed with the author’s ability to incorporate little titbits of what happened in the first novel without it boggling the reader down with too much info.

Th
Margie aka The Bumble Girl
Fast-paced, quirky, adorable and super fun!
This sequel immediately follows where Jade's first mermaid adventures left off...

It's summer vacation time! And Jade's stuck at her summer job. While scooping ice cream for her customers, she's trying to come to terms with a lot of things that have happened to her in the last few weeks: first period, first kiss, first mermaid- tail and turning 14!!!
But, most of all, finding out that her mother is still alive!

Now, Jade is trying to figure it all out -
dea
Nathan Miller
Dec 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was just as cute as the first one. It picks up a month or two later. Jade has some new problems, as one might expect both from someone who's still dealing with the turmoil of just having discovered she'd half mermaid, as well as the typical things a typical 14-year-old girl faces. The story resolves a couple of unfinished things from the previous work--namely her mermaid mother regaining human form, Jade's secret mermaid identity, and her proto-boyfriend--and raises some new ones. Whil ...more
Lenni Jones
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. I knew I would from the moment I started it. Wait, that's not true. I knew I would like it since I read the first book. I love books that I can relate to, and this is one of them. Except for that mermaid thing. As far as I know, I have no mermaid blood in me. But still, I could relate to the realistic things and I'm happy i get to read these books. A nice book, can't wait to read the next one!
LaQuita
May 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was super cute and any pre-teen and teenage girl would love it. This is the second book of the series and for someone reading this for the first time without reading the first book would certainly fall into it without getting lost. It's pretty simple, Jade is a teen mermaid with boy problems, what girl wouldn't relate to that. I found the storyline realistic other then the fact that she was a mermaid and definitely a page turner. The fact that there is more to this story then just her ...more
XxForeverXx_XxVampire_DiariezxxLuvsSHERLOCKandSUPERNATURAL
Apr 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like cute mermaid books.
Recommended to XxForeverXx_XxVampire_DiariezxxLuvsSHERLOCKandSUPERNATURAL by: Goodreads.com, St.George public library.
When I brought this book home from the library, I didn't realize it was the second book in the series until I looked it up on Goodreads.com. But then I started reading it and I understood it pretty good. I thought it was really cute and had a pretty good plot line. It was a short and easy read. I liked all the characters and thought that Luke and Jade were really cute. I thought Cori was a really great best friend and really funny. jade was brave and loyal because she would do anything to save h ...more
Luna
Sep 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Real Mermaids Hold Their Breath picks up almost straight after the first book ended. Its summer and Jade is serving ice-cream to the masses while trying to figure out where her mother is and how to get her home.

Jade’s narration is still as entertaining as before. She spends a lot of time panicking in her head which is just makes her more loveable. Cori and Jade have repaired their friendship, even with the big fin secret still hanging over them. Her dad remains reassuringly dad-like, I loved the
Jules Goud
Mar 10, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: under-the-sea
This reminds me a little bit of 'The Clique' series.

Jade has some issues. I mean, her mom is a missing mermaid, her maybe-boyfriend hasn't called or texted for weeks and she isn't allowed to date.

I forgot how annoying fourteen year-old could be. I really didn't like Jade in this one. She was just going on and on about her problems and I couldn't believe that she didn't go after a certain somebody sooner. I liked that she smartened up and realized that she couldn't do anything alone.

Her only re
Anita Mitcham
Apr 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even better than the first book

I would reccomend this book to anyone who absolutely loves fantasy books. This book is, by far, one of the best books I have ever read. I am amazed how this author constructed this book and its story line. It deserves five stars, a gold medal, and aug cake-which is the best gift anyone could give. This book flows from one event to another, and Jade is hilarious. Everyone can connect to her humor, and she is the best main character to construct...overall wonderful b
Iris
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
awesome,awesome and awesome, had a fun time with it i never found myself yelling at the book in frustration (like i do with some), i liked jades attitude and her relationship with luke, and she has extreme luck i mean find out that the boy you like, likes you back and is also going through what you are too, i mean she has luck!
i also liked how her mom really wasnt dead and just the whole ponint of how she`s a mermaid and she got that from her mom, i just really liked this series and even if ther
Danns
Feb 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book picks up right were the first one ended and does a great job keeping the pace. My daughter loved this book.

There are new wrinkles along the way as the truth about Jade is revealed to her best friend. There is a quest to find her mother and return her to the family, and of course her blossoming relationship with Luke, who we learned from the end of the first book is also a Mer.

Pure, delightful fantasy for a pre-adolescent and not a bad read for adults, if you like mermaids and pre-tee
Liv
Not as fast-paced or engaging as the first but still the same lovable characters, so that made up for the lacking story line. I still find it hilarious as to how obvious these characters are,(view spoiler).

This book is an overall cute read, I would still recommend this series to anyone intrigued by the premise with the warning that it is aimed toward the pre-teen/teen audienc
Trina
Jan 13, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the prequel a few years ago, and I thought it was pretty good. But when I found out it had several sequels, I was quite upset. When you read a book, and you find out it has sequels, you have to retread the book again to know what is going on in the sequels. Well, I did. And I am glad I did. This was a pleasant read, quirky, upbeat, but just a tad cliche.
This review has no spoilers, except for a hint: Jade and Luke move forward.
Kim
I did not realize this was the second book in a series. I was a little lost as it continually referenced back to the first book and it's story line. I liked it so so. I did not enjoy it enough to seek out the first book in the series. Jade is part human/part mermaid. Her Mom is missing and her mer-boy friend also goes missing. There is an ecological tie in here about tide pools and the environment, but very loosely developed.
Joseline madrid
I LOVED LOVED LOVED THIS BOOK IT WAS SO FABULOUS AMAZING I COULDN'T BELIEVE THAT JADE FOUND HER MOM BUT SHE STILL DIDN'T LIKE THE IDEA OF HER ACTING LIKE HER TANTI TANASHA FROM THE OLD COUNTRY BECAUSE SHE JUST WISHED THAT SHE COULD TELL EVERY ONE THAT SHE WAS STILL ALIVE AND THAT SHE NEVER DROWNED THAT SOME MER-FREAKS HAD HER CAPTIVE AT THE BOTTOM OF TALISMANS LAKE. BUT JADE WAS GLAD THAT SHE DIDNT HAVE TO HIDE ANYMORE SECRETES FROM HER BFF CORI
Noelle Vigenser
Mar 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Real mermaids dont hold their breath by Helene Boudrau. This book is a Fictional book which portrays a girl figuring out problewms for her own. This book is about how a girl named Jade found someone she loved but also lost the other person she had. Will she find that someone again? I rated this book 5 stars because i love the series and hor Jade portrays a mermaid falling in love.
Fai Haneul
Bought this book from Scholastic promotion and it took me just once read to finish the book. Why? because there's not much of interesting plot in it and the story went a bit slow, and the plot development is inconsistent. However, it is a nice read if you are bored, or waiting for your children to finish school~
Jasmine
I didn't like this as much as the first book - which combined the mermaid/puberty idea SO WELL - but Helene Boudreau writes good, well-plotted stories that are great for younger teens. I was ready to cringe when the social media subplot came up and half-expecting Boudreau to sound out of touch, but I think it was handled fairly well.
Colette
Jun 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This sequel to Real Mermaids Don't Wear Toe Rings was entertaining and fun. The characters were relatable, but I wish some of the "Freshies," as the gang of mermaids are called in the books, were explored more. I am looking forward to reading the next story in the series, Real Mermaids Don't Need High Heels.
  • Lucy (Daughters of the Sea, #3)
  • Waking Storms (Lost Voices, #2)
  • Rescuing Seneca Crane (Kari + Lucas Mysteries, #2)
  • Just for Fins (Fins, #3)
  • The Secret History of Mermaids and Creatures of the Deep
  • Time's Daughter
  • Merrow
  • Teenage Mermaid
  • Mermaid Park
  • Awaiting Destiny
  • Fins
  • The Voyage of Lucy P. Simmons
  • The Moon and the Tide (Marina's Tales, #2)
  • Tidal Whispers
  • The Key (The Magnificent 12, #3)
  • The Deep (Ingo, #3)
  • Evergreen (Mer Tales, #2)
  • Ninemia (Antara, #2)
Hélène Boudreau writes fiction and non-fiction for children and young adults. She is also a compulsive walker, a chicklet wrangler and a lover of cheese and cheap chocolate.

Her tween novel REAL MERMAIDS DON'T WEAR TOE RINGS is a 2011 Crystal Kite Member Choice Award Finalist.
More about Helene Boudreau...

Real Mermaids (4 books)
  • Real Mermaids Don’t Wear Toe Rings (Real Mermaids, #1)
  • Real Mermaids Don't Need High Heels (Real Mermaids, #3)
  • Real Mermaids Don't Sell Seashells (Real Mermaids #4)
“Snacks at sleepovers are a must. Try this one next time your parents forget to stock the snack cupboard. Supplies: brown paper lunch bag stapler measuring cup microwave Ingredients: ¼ cup popcorn kernels 2 tbsp brown sugar 2 tbsp chocolate chips 2 tbsp butter or margarine pinch of salt Pour the popcorn kernels into a brown paper lunch bag then fold the top of the bag ¼ of an inch, twice. Secure two staples (trust me, I Googled it!) at the folded part to seal the bag shut. Lay the bag flat in the microwave and cook on HIGH for about 1:45 (one minute and forty-five seconds, people!). Each microwave is different, though, so you may need to adjust the time. Meanwhile, add the brown sugar, chocolate chips, butter/margarine and salt to a microwave-safe measuring cup. Cook on HIGH for about 15 seconds or until the gooey buttery-chocolaty mixture is melted. Mix well with a fork then pour it over the popcorn.” 1 likes