Start by marking “Brown Rabbit in the City” as Want to Read:
Brown Rabbit in the City

Brown Rabbit in the City

It's Brown Rabbit's first time in the city and his friend Little Rabbit has planned a busy day. But as they rush from shop to cafe to art gallery, Brown Rabbit starts to realize that there's only one thing in the city he really wants to see - and that's Little Rabbit.
Published March 1st 2011 by Pan MacMillan (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Brown Rabbit in the City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brown Rabbit in the City

Kathryn
Apr 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I went into this not realizing it is a sequel to Moon Rabbit (which I now have on hold at the library!) but I still really enjoyed it. It is the story of Brown Rabbit, who leaves his country home to visit his city friend Little Rabbit. He is looking forward to spending some quiet, one-on-one time talking with his friend, and eating carrot cake. But, Little Rabbit loves her city so much, she is determined to show Brown Rabbit every inch of it. They are so busy, Brown Rabbit is soon exhausted and ...more
Melki
Brown Rabbit is paying a visit to Little Rabbit who lives in the big city. She is excited to be showing him all her favorite haunts, leaving him exhausted by too much running around.

While I liked Russell's illustrations, I sort of resented how Little Rabbit is painted as something of the villain here. She wants to share her life with her friend, and show him all the city has to offer. He just wants to hang out, and visit with Little Rabbit. Neither of these options is wrong, and it's really some
Lisa Vegan
I read this book because I borrowed it at the same time as I borrowed the first book, Moon Rabbit. I wasn’t wowed by that one, and once I read it I probably would have not gone out of my way to get this one.

And, no, I did not love this book either, and I probably won’t continue if more are published.

I do love the very inventive and pretty pictures. And there are some good things about the story. My favorite aspect was the message of being sensitive to a friend’s needs.

I don’t like the depiction
Elizabeth
Russell, Natalie BROWN RABBIT IN THE CITY AD+ Pre-2

Brown Rabbit in the City is a cautionary tale about relationships which picks up where Moon Rabbit left off. Sometimes, we are tempted to over-schedule our time with friends or family, forgetting the value of simply being together. Full of excitement, Brown Rabbit travels to the city to see his friend, Little Rabbit, but she is so intent on showing him all of her favorite things about city life that he hardly sees her or anything else, and he en
Tasha
Mar 17, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This book follows the story which began in Moon Rabbit about the friendship between Brown Rabbit and Little Rabbit, though this story focuses on Brown Rabbit’s point of view. Brown Rabbit was headed to the city for the very first time to visit his friend Little Rabbit. Little Rabbit is so excited to see him that she takes him on whirlwind tour of the city, dashing in and out of shops, sightseeing, and finally dancing. But it’s all too much for Brown Rabbit, who finally heads out on his own. Litt ...more
Friend of Pixie (F.O.P.)
We got Moon Rabbit and Brown Rabbit in the City at the same time and it's a good thing because Moon Rabbit leaves you hanging and Brown Rabbit picks up right where it left off. After making friends in Brown Rabbit's rural area, Moon Rabbit invites Brown Rabbit to visit her in the city. Although I'm giving them both 4 stars, especially since the art in both is so yummy, I don't think we enjoyed this one quite as much. Like the city itself, it's busier and slightly stressfull, as Moon Rabbit drags ...more
Heidi-Marie
I love the pictures. And I can understand the concept of city life being too busy and fast for me, as well as knowing what it's like to want to visit the person and not the place. But some of the book didn't flow as well for me. Or maybe it's because I spent the whole time feeling sorry that he didn't have time to finish his slice of cake.

And perhaps it is me, but it felt like the message came off a little too obvious. Not preach-y, but not too naturally either. Again, maybe it's me.
Juliet Wilson
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A copy of this book was sitting in the Forest Cafe Free Shop in Edinburgh during the week while I was 'Poet Laureate' there. I read this book a couple of times and it inspired me to write a story about rabbits exploring the free shop.

Brown Rabbit in the City is a beautifully illustrated book about a brown rabbit who goes to the city to see his friend Little Rabbit. Little Rabbit is very excited by the visit and rushes Brown Rabbit round her favourite cafes, museums, galleries and shops. Poor Br
Mary
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Nice story with cute illustrations. Good read-aloud for 4-7 y/o.
Kate
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, picture-books
Tatiana
"Brown Rabbit in the City" is a beautifully illustrated book, with the frenetic pace of Little Rabbit countered by the genteel slowness of kindhearted Brown Rabbit. Brown Rabbit is a country bunny on his way to visit his city gal pal, Little Rabbit, a city that looks a lot like Manhattan. Like any good city dweller trying to show their small town buddy a good time, Little Rabbit has Brown Rabbit's day and night entirely planned for him, with no room for roaming, exploring, talking or just taking ...more
Mehsi
Aww, this was the perfect read to read on Valentines Day. <3

This story is about a Brown Rabbit who is just dying to see his friend Little Rabbit who lives in the city. He is off to visit her, but then is dragged all over the place by her (though logical, she just wants to share her city with him, to show him all the awesome things that are in this city, I know the feeling of wanting to do that to someone I love/like. You just want to share it with them, and you just forget to ask if they rea
Kate
Sep 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
The first book, Moon Rabbit tells the story of Little Rabbit who has a wonderful home; Her favorite cafe and a park to play in. But sometimes she is just a little . . . lonely. Until one night, as the moon shines brightly, Little Rabbit meets Brown Rabbit and finds a new friend.
The second book, Brown Rabbit in The City focuses more on Brown Rabbit as he is preparing to make his first-ever trip to the city to visit his best friend, Little Rabbit. But the visit doesn’t go quite as planned. Little
Gabrielle Blockton
Date: September 8th, 2014

Author: Natalie Russell

Title: Brown Rabbit in the City

Plot: Brown Rabbit is going to the city to visit his best friend Little Rabbit, who wants to show Brown Rabbit around to get a taste of city living.

Setting: The City

Characters: Brown Rabbit, Little Rabbit

Point-of-View: Third-Person

Theme: Friendship, Opposites Attracting

Style: Narrative

Copyright: 2010

Notes: This was a cute book! I liked the concept of Brown Rabbit wanting to hang out with his good friend Little Rabbi
Destinee Sutton
A sweet story about a country rabbit who travels to the city to spend time with his best friend, Little Rabbit. Little Rabbit is so excited to show off the city that she doesn't pay attention to her best friend. It is resolved happily, which is nice. I loved the adorable, modern-looking illustrations. They were artistically sophisticated while maintaining child-friendliness.

Recommended for 4 and up.
Polly
Brown Rabbit in the City is a cute little book for children teaching the importance of being with a person. However, and perhaps I am reading too much into this, but I didn't get why the author described the visiting rabbit as brown and only described the white hosting rabbit as little. This left me wondering about racial connotations in society where if a person's color is omitted, one assumes white. I don't know if this is a message I want to teach my daughter.

Unsure how to rate.
Deb
Sep 06, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really like the illustrations of this and Moon Rabbit. The story on this one reminds me of Breakfast at Tiffany's though - the rush of life in the city being bright and gay and none too connected with emotion/friendship. If a family sees a connection to this story in their own life, I hope they make some adjustments in their lifestyle. Kids shouldn't be rushed around all day.
Dolly
Mar 26, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
A sequel to Moon Rabbit, this is an all too true story about the busy-ness of life in the city. We enjoyed reading this story together and it has a good message, but I think I prefer the first book better.
Kristina Jean Lareau
Rendered in what seems like a combination of ink and digital coloring, this book describes exactly a visit to a friend who lives in a city. It is sweet and fast and the muted, soft colors and designs are visually appealing. I really enjoyed this book and I will enjoy sharing it with others.
Kerry (The Roaming Librarian) O'Donnell
Sweet, if a bit long. I was glad I started out with this one in storytime, I don't think my kids would have hung in if I'd left it to the end. It was nice though, everyone followed along and liked trying to predict the outcome. Great for kids that have the attention span.
Carrie
May 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brown Rabbit visits Little Rabbit in the city, but gets little quality time with his friend as she shows him all of the city sites. A story about friendship and the importance of listening, this is a great read for kids ages four and older.
Emma (Miss Print)
So cute. I really liked Russell's illustration style with the swooping lines and smooth colors. The paper is matte and almost gives a vintage or sepia-like quality to the whole thing. A really charming book about remember to make time for important things--especially friends.
Rukia Rogers
Aug 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
What a sweet book that follow Brown rabbit from the country as he travels to the city to visit his friend little rabbit. The story is filled with wonderful themes of compassion and kindness.The illustrations of the book are beautiful and compliment the story.
Katie Fitzgerald
Read at rec. center class visit on 3/20/13: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...
Susan Lubner
A sweet story and wonderfully illustrated...the change in point of view threw me off a bit...but all in all, charming!
Kerry
May 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
some of the best illustrations
Purl Scout
Jul 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
pretty pretty book with a gentle calming cadence.
Jami
Jun 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bedtime-stories
Cute story about best friends and slowing down and being aware of the world around you. Like it.
Donna
Aug 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Great follow-up to Moon Rabbit. I loved this illustrations and it's a great story of a very special friendship.
Jane Bresnan
May 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful looking book, with the gold illustrations and great colour scheme.
I was born in Dundee in 1972 into a fantastic family. Ever since I can remember, I wanted to be an artist — everyone in my family is artistic so it seemed just the right thing to do. When I was little my dad would draw pictures for me to colour in — they were always great. I loved drawing, painting and making things and still do. In 1993, after completely an HND course in illustration and graphic ...more