Start by marking “The Vindico (The Vindico, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Vindico (The Vindico, #1)

The Vindico

(The Vindico #1)

The Vindico are a group of supervillains who have been fighting the League of Heroes for as long as anyone can remember. Realizing they’re not as young as they used to be, they devise a plan to kidnap a group of teenagers to take over for them when they retire—after all, how hard can it be to teach a bunch of angsty teens to be evil?

Held captive in a remote mansion, five t
Published June 14th 2012 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

Start your review of The Vindico (The Vindico, #1)
Darth J
A bunch of villains, or the “Vindico” as they like to be called, recruit (read: kidnap) 5 teenagers with attitude.

(Okay, one's a tween but I just wanted to make a Power Rangers reference. Sue me.)
Anyway, each of these kids are chosen because they both posses the potential proclivity for different kinds of powers (such as telepathy, super strength, telekinesis, agility, and technology) AND all have been abandoned or socially isolated in some form. They are offered lessons and supplements to nouri
CG
Nov 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Five teens are kidnapped by a notorious team of supervillains, to be turned into the ultimate antithesis of good.

This story takes a pretty classic concept with a twist:

Lana, is a sweet and intelligent person who secretly wishes to break free from her "good girl" image.

Sam, is a responsible and obedient kid who's used to doing what he's told.

Hayden, is a snarky but burdened teen, who had to take care of himself, after his whole life got uprooted at an early age.

Emily, is a genius who knows her
Lilian
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
X-men meets the Breakfast Club? Doesn't that sound exciting or what? I was interested when I heard about The Vindico in the beginning of the year, and I was excited to finally read it when I saw it on the shelves. Unfortunately, The Vindico just didn't work for me on so many levels. The concept was fresh, but the execution was just disappointing. Perhaps it would have been better suited as a lower-middle grade novel rather than young adult with its simple writing style; the plot was fun but also ...more
Repairman Jack
Mar 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
As an older reader more than a few years removed from their teenage years, I wasn't sure how a book targeting a younger demographic would appeal to me. It took one chapter for me to get hooked on this book. The storytelling is fast-paced but still allows the reader to understand and relate to the characters. The protagonists are presented realistically and honestly. They are not without flaws and they each have their own unique human qualities which allow for equal parts empathy and disdain for ...more
George Kulz
Oct 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have to say I have a weakness for superhero stories. Not the traditional stories, mind you - your Supermans, Spider-mans, etc. But stories about non-traditional heroes. NEW heroes. Stories like the Evil Genius series by Catherine Jinks, or like the ones included in the anthology Who Can Save Us Now?, edited by John McNally and Owen King.

The Vindico fits comfortably on the same shelf for me as those others I just mentioned. It tells the tale of a group of five teens who want more than anything
Daman
Jan 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
A book I finished reading from the 2013 Red Maple selection titled, "The Vindico" by Wesley King. Was a fun read. The book was about 5 teens who got kidnapped by "The Vindico" and became their proteges. The proteges were chosen to become the new members of The Vindico.They were trained and given something special that The League (supposedly the good guys) are keeping a secret from the rest of the world, but the villains knew about it and hated The League. When they were ready, The Vindico made t ...more
Ms. Yingling
Jun 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Five teens are all kidnapped from the bedrooms by a group of super villians known as the Vindico who are trying to conquer the League of Heroes. All of the teens have problems-- James has been dumped by his girlfriend, Hayden has been all but abandoned by his mother, Sam is generally insecure, Lana has been making poor life choices, and Emily is more interested in computers than in socializing at school. The teens are all to be mentored by a villain who shares some of their characteristics, and ...more
Talia
Aug 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes a book is amazing, and it's amazing in a very deep, literary way. Several essays have been written explaining why The Great Gatsby or Frankenstein are good books, or even more recent works like Catcher in the Rye.

But sometimes a book is not very literary, and yet it still is fully amazing. The Vindico is great because it doesn't give you time to ponder what you like about it, or what devices the author is implementing, it just takes you on a wild ride with incredible characters. Someti
Matthew Dent
Nov 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
So,imagine that your life is going perfectly, when you suddenly get kidnapped by the most infamous organization ever. That's what happens to these five kids, who know nothing about each other, are taken by the Vindico. But things get interesting when the teens are offered super powers! (BTW: in this world, super heroes exist.) Of course, to get these powers, they have to join the villians and go against what they've been morally taught their whole lives. Now they have to decide what to do, and t ...more
Jonathan Yanez
May 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
It was a fun and enjoyable read. I really liked the premise of the book. With superhero movies doing so well I'm surprised there aren't more books like this.
Amaal
Jan 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I thought that this book was totally outgoing. It had so much excitement in it. If the real world had super heroes, i would really be upset to not have powers. Emily is my favorite character because she has so much skill and intelligence. If i was Sam i would also be scared and wondering what my family is doing while i'm gone.Anyways i thought it was awesome and anyone that didn't read this book should read it because you will really love it.
Ryan
Sep 22, 2014 added it
I read this book because my friend said it was good and I wanted yo try it. In this book a group of regular kids get captured for a unique reason. They get transported to a mansion where they get trained to battle. They battle against the heros because they're mentors make them. Closer to the end they started to like battleing them. They got so much stronger as they got trained and trained! This book is a really good book to read, I think you guys should read it!
Paula
This was fun! It was also thin and silly and incomprehensible in a predictable way. Think Marvel meets X-men teen style. The characters had all the depth of most super heroes and super villains ... well, maybe more ... and I liked them a lot.

The book should have ended with a sneak preview of the next book. I expect to see the Baron's prediction come true, which is sure to be entertaining.
Layla Pasdernick
Aug 21, 2015 rated it liked it
I don't know if I particularly enjoy reading about Superheroes and Super Villains, but it was definitely a good book. And I almost have to read the second one.
Dakota Eiselstein
This book really made mad. The main characters were stolen from their home and made to become supervillains. I would be so mad if that was the case for me, being made to become supervillains sounds so scary. They were made to do mean things to the superheroes. I would have rebelled to. If i was made to do things to nice people I would be mad and rebel. When they rebelled against the Vindico they were doing fine. Until they found the proteges.
Wendy
Dec 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
First of all, I would like to say a huge thank you for Goodreads for providing me with an advanced readers copy of The Vindico as part of the Giveaway program. :)

Okay, onto the review.

Ugh, I'm sorry Mr. Wesley King. :( I really wanted to enjoy this book, I'm a huge fan of stories involving people from different groups gathering, meeting by chance and becoming inseparable friends. But this book didn't do it for me. The characters were not very well developed and I couldn't really connect with the
Shanshad Whelan
I'll be the first to admit that I like a good superhero/super villain yarn. I'm rather tickled by stories taken out of graphic novel format and placed in novel form that encapsulate elements of things like super powers.

That said, this book just didn't do it for me. The writing never really was compelling enough to pull me in, and I felt like we were kept at a distance from our characters, never knowing quite enough or feeling connected enough to actually care about any of them. Not to mention th
Fred Hughes
Feb 09, 2012 rated it liked it
This book was received free from the publisher as part of the Goodreads Advance Reader program

This book is aimed at the YA (Young Adult) audience although I found it an interesting read.

Almost like the Justice League this dystopian world has two groups of heroes / anti heroes.

Five young adults are kidnapped by individuals with great powers. They are then advised that they have been chosen to be mentored and become members of their group who are the enemies of the famed League of Heroes. They cal
Morgan Elizabeth
Feb 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: meh
Meh. Kinda interesting take.
Penny McGill
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
Great super villains in training + a little bit of teens wrestling with their conscience about whether they want to be villains or not. My own teen stayed up way past her own bedtime (of course she did) to finish this one and then told me that I HAD to read it. She rarely speaks to me with that much enthusiasm unless there is an iPhone or iPad involved in the conversation so I got right on it.

Wesley King does have a great sense of humour and the cast of characters he has created in his little tr
MΔRI JΔNE
May 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
I am not ashamed to admit that I will forever hold a special place in my heart for superhero novels. So when I saw this book in the library, I was excited to get back to the good old days when I deeply enjoyed books like these.

But I was disappointed. This book is suited for people my age, but I felt really detached from the story line. While the 5 characters were all unique, I had a hard time differentiating the bad guys.

The villains (The 'Vindico') are a secret organisation, that hold a high
B.
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
I find several of the protagonist teenagers annoying, shallow distractions from the plot. It was somewhat interesting to see how the author handled a typical superhero/supervillain setup, though.

Inevitably, comparisons to another prominent supervillain-focused series must arise -- the other being H.I.V.E. That series handles supervillains much better, making all but a few of the characters self-made rather than inexplicably-powered. In the book I am currently reviewing, several of the characters
Vanessa
Apr 20, 2014 rated it liked it
I found this book humorous as the 5 teens are selected into training...to be a villain? They are merely humans with no super-powers but do after wearing cool suits. Their mentors are all super-villains who are train each teen to become their protegees. I enjoyed reading about the lives and history of each teen and how they overcame the problem (not going to spoil anything here :P)

Besides these factors, I didn't love this book because the storyline was dull. I can honestly summarize the story in
Larissa Granato
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
Okay, so the thing is: I'm obsessed with super powers. Heroes, villains, whatever, I just love them. This story could go ten thousand ways and be amazing but it was just a gigantic mess.
The romance couldn't have been more unnecessary if it tried, the relationships that could actually go somewhere interesting just got fucked over because the characters turned into completely different people every five minutes.
They could have ended up as superheroes or villains but all of them turned out to be
Eliza Tennant
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
I was going to make this a three but the end really sealed the deal. It got annoying with kids switching sides every chapter, and the cheesy ending would be nice if I actually grew to like the characters. I still have no idea what Sam's background is. And that kid (Hayden probably) was consistently annoying. When even the book characters point out that he talks too much, dont you think you should turn it down? There are other books that do this plot better.
Mikayla
Jan 09, 2013 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book i think the author put the proper characters into the story. The chacter i liked hayden because he always knew what to say, when to say it. I found this book to be a bit less mature than other books in red maple. I liked the book other than the beginning because it was kind of hard to understand what the author was talking about. After that it became a lot more interesting.
Araseli
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Give me a superhero and villain book anytime; I Love books like this. This book takes the reader into another perspective not the superhero side but the dark side (the villains) . I really enjoyed this book. This book was like reading a script from a DC movie, crazy fighting scenes, cool powers and some humor . It's a sure thing that I'm going to read the next one.
Ginger
Mar 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
It was a dnf for me, but I could have finished it. It wasn't bad, exactly, but it wasn't good, and I have a lot of other books waiting. Too many characters introduced in exactly the same way in the beginning felt cookie cutter-ish, and the writing seemed somewhat clumsy. I picked it up because it popped up on my weeding list and I wanted to give it a chance, but I think it's going to have to go.
Louisa
May 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book, really interesting, and that the "bad guys" had important reasons for what they were doing, and that good and bad are in a grey area. And I can't wait for the sequel!
Madison Voelker
Feb 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
1 of my 3 books. Wonderful book
The Vindico 4 33 Sep 19, 2012 02:22PM
Huntsville-Madiso...: Staff Picks: The Vindico by Wesley King 1 5 Aug 14, 2012 12:50PM
The Vindico Promo Video 1 20 Jun 28, 2012 10:15AM
Release Day! 2 9 Jun 14, 2012 10:34AM

• SYLO (The SYLO Chronicles, #1)
  • Shooter
  • Surviving the City (Surviving the City, #1)
  • Loki's Wolves (The Blackwell Pages, #1)
  • H.I.V.E. Higher Institute of Villainous Education (H.I.V.E., #1)
  • ULTRA (The Last Hero, #1)
  • The Phobia of Renegade X (Renegade X, #4)
  • The Betrayal of Renegade X (Renegade X, #3)
  • The Trials of Renegade X (Renegade X, #2)
  • Polar Vortex
  • From the Roots Up (Surviving the City, #2)
  • The Unteachables
  • Witchlight
  • I've Been Meaning to Tell You: A Letter to My Daughter
  • They Said This Would Be Fun: Race, Campus Life, and Growing Up
  • The Sea of Monsters: The Graphic Novel (Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Graphic Novels, #2)
  • No Fixed Address
  • Sepron The Sea Serpent (Beast Quest, #2)
Wesley King is the #1 New York Times Bestselling Author of eleven novels, including OCDaniel, The Vindico Series, and The Wizenard Series with Kobe Bryant.

He lives in Nova Scotia, as well as on a 1967 sailboat that he is taking around the world.

The Vindico (2 books)
  • The Feros (The Vindico, #2)