Start by marking “Batman & Robin, Vol. 4: Dark Knight vs. White Knight” as Want to Read:
Batman & Robin, Vol. 4: Dark Knight vs. White Knight

Batman & Robin, Vol. 4: Dark Knight vs. White Knight

(Batman & Robin (2009) #4)

The Dark Knight and the Boy Wonder face multiple threats and villains new and old, including the mysterious White Knight, the villain Absence and the renegade Robin of the past, Jason Todd--in stories written by creators Paul Cornell (Action Comics, Doctor Who), Peter J. Tomasi (Green Lantern Corps, Nightwing) and Judd Winick (Brightest Day: Generation Lost, Batman).

Collec
Published January 31st 2012 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Batman & Robin, Vol. 4, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Jayson
(B+) 77% | Good
Notes: Cornell carries on with concept foes, Tomasi calls back to his Nightwing run, and Winick continues to own Red Hood.
Chelsea 🏳️‍🌈
Update: So, this is still pretty damn good. Unfortunately, the art took a turn for the worst in the last 2 issues and it pained me to look at it. I still really like that story with Jason Todd but I wish they'd kept the artist that did the first part of that arc.

This is my favorite out of the Dick Grayson!Batman and Damian!Robin series.

There are 3 arcs here and I loved everyone of them. For once, every villain had depth and held my interest. So, each story is written and drawn by different team
Anne
Jul 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Wow.
I am thoroughly shocked by how much I really enjoyed reading Dark Knight vs. White Knight. I started reading this with the expectation that I would probably hate it, especially after the cluster-fuck that was Batman and Robin, Vol. 3: Batman and Robin Must Die!. As I've mentioned before, Grant Morrison did an excellent job on the first and second volumes, only to go off the rails for the third.

If there is a fine line between genius and insanity, then Morrison walks that line with all the gra
Artemy
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dc, comics
After Grant Morrison finished his fantastic run on Batman & Robin, the series itself, bafflingly, lasted for 9 more issues, with three writers producing three 3-issue arcs to cap the book off. It's no wonder that this volume is left mostly forgotten nowadays, because none of the stories here are especially good or interesting.

Paul Cornell wrote probably the best arc of the bunch about a woman who was mistreated by Bruce Wayne and decided to get revenge — it had an interesting premise and a p
Sud666
Jul 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
This is a collection of Batman (Grayson) and Robin (Damien) tales. The first tale is AWFUL. Had that been the mainstay this thing would have gotten 1 star. A garbage tale filled with feminist tropes that are beyond annoying. A few things- (1) Bruce Wayne is really, really rich. Only a few others Luthor, etc even come close to matching him. So when the Una Nemo (what kind of stupid name is that? if you're going to create an ethnic character-how about doing some small research on ethnic names) dec ...more
Sam Quixote
May 30, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a collection of three three-issue stories featuring the Dick Grayson Batman/Damien Wayne Robin duo. They tangle with three villains, two new, one old: Una Nemo, a socialite who undergoes a dramatic change in her appearance thwarting a heist; the White Knight, an angelic psycho who is killing relatives of Arkham Asylum's inmates; and finally Jason Todd aka the Red Hood.

I thought the White Knight storyline was pretty good, it was pretty graphic in its murders and also quite striking in its
James DeSantis
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So this is actually 3 different stories in one. They all vary in quality but let's just say the first story doesn't do the rest of this book justice.

So we start off with one of the weirdest/dumbest villains ever. Una Nemo has a big ass hole in her head and decides she has to kill people. Batman (Dick) and Robin (Damien) go to stop her. On top of that we get another story, which is the title, Dark Knight vs White Knight, which is the highlight of the entire collection. This one is about Batman a
Callie Rose Tyler
Apr 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, batman, dc
At least this series ends on a high note.

This volume has three main story lines, the first of which was my least favorite. Some lady with a hole in her head has a grudge against Bruce Wayne because he didn't love her...

The second and title story was my favorite. It was dark and creepy and violent plus we get a few Arkham scenes. The villain's origin felt a little hokey, but he looked cool and had a pretty interesting MO.

Rounding out the volume was a story about Jason Todd AKA Red Hood, so your e
Martin
Feb 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
The first "Batman & Robin" collection that's not written by Grant Morrison, and let me tell you... it shows (in a good way!). What we've got here are three 3-issue story arcs, each written and illustrated by different creative teams. By now, for this series anyway, we've all become accustomed to having a new artist for each new story arc. This is the first time however that different writers get to play with these characters. The stories read well and flow nicely. The only thing I might have ...more
JB
Oct 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: my-dc-collection
I know they say „don’t judge a book by it’s cover”, but that’s exactly what I did with this book. I really liked the cover and thought it would be a great book because of it. But this is just ok, a bit mediocre. There are 3 stories included in this book. Each of them had something I liked, but for several reasons didn’t get passed the „ok-mark”.

The first story had a really interesting villain, with an interesting backstory, but the art really ruined it for me. It needed an entirely different ki
Aaron
Feb 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
Wrote a pretty long review of this on my iPhone right before the Goodreads app crashed, so let me just sum that sucker up.

Three stories, none amazing.

First one is oddly misogynist (villain is a scorned woman who literally has a hole in her head) and never explains how the main villain is able to brainwash dozens of people to work for her. Cause she's a wily woman, I guess? This had to have been written in the 50s.

Second story again does not explain HOW the main villain is able to do all the stuf
Scott
Dec 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Although Batman and Robin Must Die! was probably the worst graphic novel I read this year I'm glad I gave the series another chance. ('m reading them all out of order - not by choice - and unfortunately the aforementioned Vol. 3 was the first one I was able to acquire.) Dick and Damien, with assistance from the dependable Alfred, make a great team. The title story - the second of three in this edition - was probably the best of the bunch.
Ben Truong
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Batman and Robin: Dark Knight vs. White Knight picks up where the previous volume left off, collecting the last nine issues (Batman and Robin #17–25) of the 2009 on-going series and covers three stories: "The Sum of Her Parts", "Dark Knight vs. White Knight, Tree of Blood" and "The Streets Run Red".

"The Sum of Her Parts" is a three-issue storyline (Batman and Robin #17–19), which has Dick Grayson as Batman and Damian Wayne as Robin investigates the murky depth of Bruce Wayne’s past to protect hi
Shannon Appelcline
Nov 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics-dc, comics
In “The Sum of Her Parts”, Cornell does a great job of capturing the weirdness of Morrison’s Batman & Robin, with Absence feeling like she fits in the same world as Pyg — but the story doesn’t have the depth that Morrison’s did, possibly because Cornell was working with a much smaller canvas [6.5/10]. Tomasi’s “Tree of Blood” seems to similarly create a new weird villain, but without nearly as much luck. We get a mundane story that is never that interesting, other than a couple of nice chara ...more
John Yelverton
Jan 02, 2012 rated it did not like it
This is the worst Batman novel that I have ever read.
Tony Laplume
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This final Batman and Robin volume before the "New 52" relaunch under Peter J. Tomasi and Patrick Gleason actually features their first work with the Dynamic Duo, plus a few other creative treats. In some respects it'll be completely impenetrable to the unsuspecting reader. So that's why you have someone like me to fill in the blanks.

(Heh.)

The volume begins with Paul Cornell and Scott McDaniel telling a story about what happens when someone leaves an impossible void to fill. Cornell (a brilliant
Jousef W.
Dec 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Not a big fan of this book and you could just see by the writing that Grant Morrison left the project. The first story about the woman with a damn whole in the head? That was creative but not my thing at all. I don't know where she came from all of a sudden and what was going on in the first place. The White Knight had his moments though it felt very shoe-horned in the whole. The Jason Todd story was pretty entertaining in the end and left me closing this book with a good taste.
Christopher Wolbert
Oct 30, 2017 rated it liked it
3 different stories, each having 3 parts. Not bad. I had to do some research into Batman Inc. I didn't know this was the third volume in the Batman & Robin series when I barrowed from the library. In this series Batman is Dick Grayson (formerly Robin) and Robin is Damian Wayne. I am looking forward to back-tracking.
Saphirablue
Christopher (Donut)
All over the place with multiple writer/artist teams, but never out and out bad. On the contrary.
Gull
May 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
I really, really liked Grant Morrison’s earlier volumes; however, this volume was quite bad.

The first storyline, “The Sum of Her Parts”, was terrible. The villain, Una Nemo, was a frickin’ joke! She had a gaping hole right in the centre of her head. She looked so wrong that I could not help but laugh! Her characterisation was awful, and her motive was unoriginal and pathetic. Paul Cornell’s writing was dull. I did not like this storyline.

The second storyline, “Tree of Blood”, was mediocre at bes
Gavin
Oct 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
3 different stories collected here, and only one is really good; the one involving Jason Todd/Red Hood. The other 2 involve a new villain, who's a former love interest of Bruce Wayne; and the other involves a new villain who is killing people with connections to Arkham Asylum.
The art is a little juvenile for my tastes, especially in the first story, and somewhat in the second, but luckily, by the third it's much better. You can really tell the difference now that Grant Morrison isn't writing th
Dan
Aug 03, 2014 rated it liked it
The first half of this had some really lame new villains. The story with the Red Hood redeemed this book. a hole in the head....really DC???
Benjamin
Feb 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
I received this from a goodreads first reads giveaway. I did not except much from reading but it grew on me, I like Batman and it seems that this is a evolution in the storyline being told.
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Zachary King
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Three tales of Batman (Dick Grayson) and Robin (Damian Wayne) from a bygone era of pre-Flashpoint continuity. Probably closer to 3.5 stars, but I rounded up because there are some top-notch creators working in this book.

The first two stories (by Cornell/McDaniel and Tomasi/Gleason) introduce freaky new rogues, while the third (by Winick/March) picks up with Jason Todd after Grant Morrison wrote him as the villainous Red Hood. None of these stories goes very deeply, but they're playful and fun,
Nicole
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
I'm a fan of Damian Wayne and Dick Grayson, so the two teaming up as Batman and Robin is so fun to read. They have a good chemistry and humor that lightens up the series as much as it can be.

The first story was good. The scorned lady of Bruce Wayne's life looked a lot like Selina to me, but that's just me being salty since I always want BatCat to win.

The second was a good read, too, but there's some things that were confusing. Although the villain's backstory was revealed toward the end, I still
Zaz
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
Even if the stories were written and drawn by various artists, it's the volume I enjoyed the most in the B&R 2009 series. Don't get me wrong, Grant Morrison did a good work with the Bat-family, adding new important events and building new relationships, but the fact that most of his villains were crazy (like Joker crazy) was too tiresome for me. I like when I can more or less follow why villains do bad stuff, with believable motivations and some detective investigation. This volume gave me t ...more
Justice
Jul 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic
Yess! Favorite of the series. I'd probably be more annoyed with the first story if it hadn't come immediately after the super confusing/disappointing third volume, but it did so I enjoyed it because I could actually understand what was going on.

The second arc was better. It had some fun Batfam moments and the new villain was surprisingly interesting. I wasn't sure if it was possible to create a new villain in the DC universe that wasn't boring (see: Professor Pyg), but the White Knight was okay.
Casey Taylor
It's ok. Highlight: no Morrison. First two stories are meh. Third one with Jason Todd is better. Visuals are as uneven as the writing.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Batman: Eye of the Beholder
  • Batman & Robin, Vol. 3: Batman & Robin Must Die!
  • Red Robin, Vol. 4: 7 Days of Death
  • Nightwing, Volume 3: Death of the Family
  • Nightwing Volume 1: Blüdhaven
  • Superman/Batman, Vol. 8:  Finest Worlds
  • Batman – The Dark Knight: Golden Dawn
Paul Cornell is a British writer of science fiction and fantasy prose, comics and television. He's been Hugo Award-nominated for all three media, and has won the BSFA Award for his short fiction, and the Eagle Award for his comics. He's the writer of Saucer Country for Vertigo, Demon Knights for DC, and has written for the Doctor Who TV series. His new urban fantasy novel is London Falling, out fr ...more

Batman & Robin (2009) (4 books)
  • Batman & Robin, Vol. 1: Batman Reborn
  • Batman & Robin, Vol. 2: Batman vs. Robin
  • Batman & Robin, Vol. 3: Batman & Robin Must Die!