Start by marking “Fever (Parallon Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Fever (Parallon Trilogy, #1)

Fever

(Parallon Trilogy #1)

Fever is first book in the gripping Parallon Trilogy by award-winning author and illustrator Dee Shulman.

Two worlds. Two millennia. One love . . .

A fearless Roman gladiator.
A reckless twenty-first-century girl.
A mysterious virus unites them . . .

152 AD. Sethos Leontis, a skilled and mesmerising fighter, is unexpectedly wounded and lies dangerously close to death.
2012 AD
Published April 5th 2012 by PUFFIN

To ask other readers questions about Fever, please sign up.
Rhea This answer is probably a few years too late, but I thought I should answer it anyways. Fever is definitely a quick read, but it's only enjoyable if…moreThis answer is probably a few years too late, but I thought I should answer it anyways. Fever is definitely a quick read, but it's only enjoyable if you're into books with high-school drama, an overly perfect main character and angsty love stories.

I hope that helps! :)(less)

K.
1.5 stars.

I will fully admit that this book was a "OMG THIS LOOKS AND SOUNDS TERRRRRRRRRRRRIBLE I HAVE TO FIND OUT IF IT'S REALLY AS BAD AS I THINK IT IS" read. So, like, it was never going to end well for me.

But this was probably even worse than I thought it was going to be??

I mean, it wasn't so bad that I DNFed it, which is why it gets the extra half star. But everything else was just...awful.

The main character, Eva? Yeah, she's the biggest Mary Sue to ever Mary Sue. She's an amazing compu
Kat
Jan 04, 2012 rated it did not like it
Video review found here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LrxQi...

Hmmm, where to start? What I will say is that if you are Dee Shulman, look away now. I am doing this for your own good. And apologies, this is going to be long. I will do my best to avoid spoilers (though it'll be difficult as there are a lot of specific bits that I really want to moan about!!!)

I really did try to find some positives, as I don't like giving a completely negative review. It's not really fair or constructive, but it w
Bookaholic (reads every mortal thing)
I dont think I had gotten far enough into the book to say anything about the plot, but characters I can do.

Eva is the main reason I abandoned this book 50 pages in. I hate to DNF, but sometimes, a book doesn't leave you a choice. I have waaay better books to read, so I don't want to waste my time on this one. Eva is the Mary-Sue of Mary-Sues. Good at everything she does, great at things even though it may have been her first time doing it, a master hacker, blah-blah-blah Like I give a crap.

She i
Jelena Milenković

While I read this pretty fast (6-8 hours more or less) it was not the best time-traveling, (view spoiler), book that I’ve read.
It took forever for it to actually start having some consistent story and sense.
Felt more like a filler for the next books, but I did enjoy it (especially the immunology parts because I could understand them 😂).

Still have problems with some plots and characters (and the lack of the same’s depth) but we’ll see where the next story
Marija *There's No Poetry In My Soul, Just A List Of Lies I've Told*
This book started of pretty interesting. A girl who has a problem to fit in and is really smart. I liked the fact that she was sort of a hacker. Then I learned that she didn't fit in because all the boys in her previous schools were in love with her and girls were jealous because of it. So Eva (main character) had to break into school's system and make sure she was caught doing that so she could get expelled. Yeah, no.... Then we meet Seth. A gladiator who insantly falls in love with a beautiful ...more
Bertie Bookreader
Apr 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was a fantastic read and an absolute page turner. I completely fell in love with the characters which I didn't expect as I normally am not crazy for romance books, this one however was different. The way it carried the time travelling element and the mystery of their pasts, for me made it a much more interesting book than your average romance. This book, I believe can appeal to a whole range of readers. It's got some of everything (action, romance, tragedy, sci-fi), and for this reason ...more
Kirsty
I found Fever to be completely addictive and if I could have read it in one sitting I would have done *shakes fist as full-time job and the need to sleep*. i was completely drawn in by the story, the characters and didn't want it to end.

I absolutely loved the two main characters. I really loved Eve and thought she was a brilliantly strong character. I loved that she was super clever and cool with it and I loved seeing her geek out about a whole variety of things. I enjoyed seeing her develop as
Aoife
Apr 08, 2013 rated it did not like it
God this book just had me shouting a very long, very exasperated NOOO!!
I hated it. I truly just couldn't like it...

For starters....Eva was a pain. I mean...first she decided that because she was gifted with super intelligence,normal school wasn't good enough for her...and then there was this thing where guys just had to fancy her and she couldn't cope with telling them no. She had to get expelled to get away from the 'torture' of mundane teaching and being an object of attraction for apparently
Max
Jan 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I think this is the best teenage book that I have ever read. Throughout the novel I was rapt and was constantly worrying about whether Eva and Seth would get together!

This book is set to outsell Twilight.
Stephanie (Stepping out of the Page)
Once again, this book was a case of me being completely won over by the shiny, attractive cover - I just thought that it looked gorgeous. I'm happy to say that the contents were just as pleasing as the cover as I was easily sucked into this story of a Roman gladiator, Sethos, a present day girl, Eva, and how a fever brings them together. This was a really enjoyable, well flowing story that I found difficult to put down.

It was really easy to get sucked into this story. I thought that I may have f
Kirsti
May 10, 2014 rated it liked it
I liked this book, but I didn't love it. I actually enjoyed both story lines as two separate entities, and due to the length of time it took for them to interact, I could have lived with them never merging at all. That I guess is my main gripe; why does it take so long for the whole Eva/Sethos timelines to merge? It feels like a bsck story that could take a chapter at most is streched into a whole book!

Eva is pretty much perfect. It makes me angry, I don't understand how or why she bewitches evr
Lightwood Bookworm
Mar 03, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dissapointed
I thought that this would be one of those under-hyped books that are amazing and need to be discovered, but boy, was I wrong.
Slow-paced, lacking action and unrealistic characters were just some of the thing I utterly hated. I didn't even manage to finish this book because it was just that bad.
Wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Anyone.
Sally
Jan 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to get hold of a proof copy of this book, and let me tell you you have a treat in store. This is a masterclass in writing teen fiction with intelligence. Sparkling wit, intellectually stretching, but most of all a bloody good read. I can't wait for the next in the series.
Rebecca McNutt
I liked the thematic elements and plot of Fever, but I found it impossible to connect to either of the main characters. The book also doesn't have much in the way of descriptive content, and the dialogue was choppy with some odd phrases thrown in by Eva.
Nicole Burstein
Dec 07, 2011 rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this book, but had to put it down after 100 pages. Am sure it will appeal to lots of people, but it just wasn't for me. Sorry!
Rhea
Aug 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Rating: 2.5 Stars

When I first picked this book from the library shelf, I was actually quite excited. I haven't read many books involving Roman gladiators, and I've always loved stories with some time-travelling.

And yet, even though this book had all these compelling elements in it, I already found myself wincing painfully by the fifth page.

There were some good things about the novel, which is why I'm giving it above two stars. Shulman can string words together into sentences, I actually like t
TheBookAddictedGirl
Apr 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone Really- There's Something For Everyone!
“I had just reviewed my life to date, and it was a pitiful catalogue of failure. I had managed to make a complete mess of everything. I was a criminal. I had failed at school - twice. I had failed to make a single friend. I had even failed to be loved by my own mother: quite an achievement.
Nobody really wanted me around.”

Eva is smart. As in, off-the-scales smart. So smart she's been kicked out of two schools. On purpose. She couldn't handle the mundaneness of it all.
But now... now she's terrif
Jenna
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
I must be in a generous mood to have given Dee Shulman's Fever 2*.

There was definitely potential in the plot. Gladiator meets 21st century hacker to uncover the mystery of the fever that connects them? Sounds interesting. However, that is not the route the plot actually took. Instead we are treated to 400 pages of slow-paced, unnecessary scenes with little substance. Honestly, 90% of this book was filler; the number of times Eva's morning routine was described was just ridiculous. Not to mention
Ellie (crackthespine)
Jan 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: books-i-own
I read this back when it first came out, in 2012, and I liked it a lot more than I did the last time I re-read it.

I can't fault the writing style, honestly, I did really enjoy Dee Schulman's style and artistic flow, but her characters annoyed the hell out of me and there were SO many gaping plot holes and points to this that I just can't gloss over.

First of all, the main character. Eva. Very clever (although, of course, she never outright says that), stunningly pretty and has millions of friends
Dee ~ Proudest Nanna Of Little  Millie ~
I really enjoyed reading my first book by Dee Shulman. This story of a troubled teen, who meets a Roman gladiator, from the past, works so well. Eva feels left out at home, and school, so decides to enrol herself in a more prestigious one, where her academic talents, will be recognised, and they are. Then a young man, from the past arrives, through a time travel vortex, and instantly sees his long dead love, in her. That's when things start to change for both of them.
Jana
Aug 31, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: on-shelf
Negatives:
- the writing style. I found it to be childish and too flat at times. Also, the conversations felt forced and fake.
- characters. I just couldn't bring myself to like them.
- relationships. This goes both for frinedships and romantic relationships: unbelievable. Seth and Eva are classic example of insta-love.

Positives:
- PLOT aka the only reason I'm picking up Dellirium. I want answers.
Kim
Jan 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Even though it was a really great adventure romanticish book it didn't give me any of the book feels. Like do you know when a book is really good it gives you goosebumps or when the main character kisses her true love or something you get butterflies or something? I didn't really feel. I struggled reading few parts in the middle esp during Seth's dialogue happenings you know? Other than that it had an amazing storyline and the really liked Livia.
Ancy
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There goes another books into my Fav list. "My name is not Livia... It's Eve.... Seth?"
"Seth? do we make it to the end??" "No"
"It all came back to me Livia was AGAIN lying there dead without a movement"
Wanna read the next one!! A kind of love story that keeps us reading till the end! thumps up from me
:P
Jacki
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book so much that I've ordered books 2 and 3. Been struggling reading, making myself, but this really drew me in more than any book has for some time. Excellent read.
Louise Aspinall
Apr 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
This review is also on my blog: http://bonfirebooks.wordpress.com/201...

This is the first novel in Dee Shulman’s Parallon trilogy and is set it two time periods: 152 AD Londinium (A.K.A London) and 2012 AD, where we start in York and move to London. The book starts with the heroin, Eva, arguing with her mum about Eva’s exclusion from school. This is her second exclusion from school, and this time she decided to choose hacking into the head-teacher’s email- which she very good at, by the way. So
Laura | What's Hot?
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
Fever by Dee Shulman is about Sethos Leontis, a gladiator, and Eva, a modern school girl. Both characters have unfortunate encounters with a mysterious virus in their own timelines that somehow bring the two characters together. I can't really say any more than that without giving a lot of the plot away, though, to be honest, I wouldn't really know where to start because the a good chunk of the plot was unexplained anyways.

I very, very rarely write negative reviews, but I really struggled with F
As soon as I read the blurb for Fever I knew I had to read it, come on - a time travel story revolving around a 21st century girl and a Roman Gladiator - how could I resist? I have to admit I've not read many time travel stories before and definitely none involving a gladiator so I was curious to see how things would play out. I really enjoyed this first instalment to Dee Shulman's new trilogy and am looking forward to getting my hands on the next 2 books, I just hope I don't have to wait too lo ...more
Precious
Mar 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Originally posted at Fragments of Life.

Eva was beautiful, intelligent and talented. Her life was almost perfect aside from her crappy family life and her crappy social life. Eva was too perfect, some people said. But hold on. I can honestly say that people like Eva exist in this world. I have met plenty of Evas in my life, including some of my best friends, and yes, they were almost perfect. For that reason, I had an easy time accepting Eva’s personality and qualities. She was a hacker with phot
Sahina Bibi
Mar 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Thanks to the awesome Puffin people for this book, I couldn't wait to dig in to this. I'm a sceptic for time travel stories, and especially those set so far back, but this had a twist which had me intrigued enough to give the book a shot :)

The cover alone was beautiful and that had me drawn in; throw in the plot of a wayward strong female like Eva and the honourable gladiator Seth, then you know you're in for a treat. Did I mention both characters are separated by over a thousand years? Hell to
Kyra (Blog of a Bookaholic)
Fever had a really interesting concept. Time-travelling by having fever, some how reincarnating to a different a person living in a different century and loving someone who is lethal to your health. It was a good story yet there were a few distractions that had my attention elsewhere.

First off, I LOVE the cover. The way they are holding hands shows how they are united by this curious virus that threatens their life. I also love how the electric sphere surrounding their hands looks scientific and
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Saving Daisy
  • Mister Creecher
  • Angel Dust
  • Legend of Witchtrot Road (Spirit Guide, #3)
  • The Haunting of Tabitha Grey
  • India Dark
  • The Seeing
  • Predators of Darkness: Aftermath: Book One of the Darkness Series
  • Neptune's Tears (Timedance, #1)
  • Lost Christmas
  • Wolf Blood
  • The Repossession (Repossession, #1)
  • Oliver Twisted
  • Tyme's End
  • Poltergeeks (Poltergeeks, #1)
  • Stones for My Father
  • Ferryman
  • Thin Air (Thin Air Saga, #1)
Dee studied English at York University, and Illustration at Harrow School of Art. She began her career in magazines, book-jackets, cartoon strips and pop-video storyboards, and started writing for children when her own children were small. In spite of a diet of gummy bears and sherbet fountains her children have insisted on growing up - so her characters have had to grow up with them, and now even ...more

Parallon Trilogy (3 books)
  • Delirium (Parallon Trilogy, #2)
  • Afterlife (Parallon Trilogy, #3)
“Eva, stop,' he moaned. 'A kiss from me could kill you...'
'Then it would be a good death,' I breathed, taking his face in my hands. And when our lips met, I knew that wherever this love took me, it was a place I wanted to go.”
3 likes