Start by marking “Discern (Discern Saga, #1)” as Want to Read:
Discern (Discern Saga, #1)

Discern

(Discern Saga #1)

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  319 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
ATTENTION: DISCERN has been REVISED and RE-EDITED. The new edition will be available on Amazon February 21, 2012!

Discern begins when Haley Helms, a 20 year-old college student, is compelled to return home to Boulder, Colorado, after her heart is shattered by love's betrayal. After a chance meeting with an alluring passenger on the plane ride home, her life will never be th
Published February 21st 2012 by Buddy & Schwamples LLC (first published September 21st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Discern, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Discern

Molly
Jan 18, 2012 rated it liked it
The concept here is interesting, but this book suffers from what many self-published books suffer from: lack of a good editor!

There are, of course, the usual spell check issues with words being misused. There are also awkward dialogues (the key to dialogue is that it isn't just chattering - in books, characters should be talking to move the story forward. ) The author has also made the mistake of TELLING the reader what is happening, rather than SHOWING. It would have been more interesting if ou
Rhonda Bergamo
Dec 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Love the characters, very different. Hope her ex-finance gets what he deserves
Jenna
Sep 20, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A quick and intriguing read, but I'm not quite sure what to make of Discern. I picked it up a while ago as a free book from Amazon Kindle. It was sitting on my to-read cloud shelf until just a few days ago when I was admittedly pulled in to the story.

We walk into the scene much as narrator and main character Haley walks in on her fiance with another woman. The opening is really attention grabbing and I was compelled to continue the story. Haley makes an exit from Virginia and returns to her hom
April
Jan 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I did it again. I started a series, thinking at least two books were completed, so I could get really lost in them. I frustrate myself on days like today, because I really want to continue, with this sexy "god" leading the way. The good news is that the next book is set to release in March!

SPOILERS

This is my first book by way of "gods." I really liked the play on mythology...The gods needed our prayers to survive, while the characters in this series, need souls.

I would normally see the ne
Gina
Nov 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It was a nice unique twist on the concept. However, i felt like it drew some of the concepts from Twilight. Also the main character Haley after a while really started to annoy me. She cries at the drop of a hat. I dont like my leading female roles to be that wishy washey. Sometimes you just wanted to grab her and say "grow a backbone! suck it up and stop crying!" She does deal with the loss of her mother a few years ago that she has not resolved and walks in on her fi ...more
Amber
Jan 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Danielle Smith
Dec 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
i was looking for something different than the usual vampire fare and found it. IMHO, this book had a good balance between romance and action, and that's what I loved about it. The bond between Haley and Andrew is what we really wish we could find in our non-fiction lives. Some of the action was like the accident you drive by, where you ought to look away, but you just can't! I don't know if I could have handled what Haley had to, but ultimately that's what seems to make her grow stronger.

The au
Sharon Anderson-dawson
Dec 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was a great read, especially considering it was a first book for this author. Fictional stories are supposed to take us to a different place or help us see things differently, and this story definitely did. Haley may have started out on the weepy side, but she quickly grows to the point she finds herself doing things she never would have been capable of in her safe life before. This is more than just a love story (but it is certainly that). By the time the story comes to the end, you can se ...more
Layla
Mar 06, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was honestly interested after reading the sample. However, the more I kept reading the worse it got. I read a lot of books from all different genres, but I did not find this one particularly interesting or well written. Although Andrew's immortal background was something that I hadn't heard before it was not enough to save this book. The "romance" between Haley and Andrew was so bad that I could not keep reading after chapter 13. I am appalled that anyone would find this book romantic in any w ...more
Karen
Dec 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I recently purchased a Kindle and have been enjoying the book selection on Amazon! There are so many enjoyable stories, but this one really blew me away. Haley's struggles with her mother's death and her fiance's cheating ways were very relatable. I enjoyed how Andrew and Haley's relationship blossomed. I was pleased by how the author explained their connection and the history behind it. The Parevites are interesting creatures, very different than other immortals. Their existence seems possible, ...more
Denise
Dec 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Amazon has been recommending books to me and this one popped up. I'm new to the paranormal romance genre, but enjoying it quite a bit! The plot is not tired and worn out. It is fresh and keeps you page turning until the wee hours of the morning. The main character, Haley Helms, is a vibrant, brave soul that doesn't let anything hold her down for too long. And if it did, I think that Andrew would take care of that problem pretty quickly.

I would love to go on but I don't want to ruin one word for
Kyra Dunst
Jul 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a different take on the whole immortal lover romance story, but I liked it. I don't want to give anything away, but the immortal in this series is a darker being, without much of the redeeming qualities that some books put for vampires and werewolves and such. These beings must kill to survive, and they have committed terrible crimes in the past, but there is hope for at least one of them. I would read more from this author.
Rachel Householder
Feb 18, 2012 rated it liked it
I didn't hate this book at all. But I didn't love it either.

I would have loved to have seen something organized. There was definitely a point where it became confusing, where I almost had to summarize what just happened so I could move forward.

I want to continue the story, and find out how they figure it all out. It was a good first book and a great set up, but I would hope this is never anyone's favorite book in the series.
Melissa Maxwell
Jan 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loooved this book so much. I love history and as a history graduate this book called to me. The author incorporated mythology into the book so beautifully that reader were not bogged down by that fact. I love Andrew and Haley. I love the fact the story ended nicely but still openendedly to require more attention. What I have read of the next book leaves me a little disterb about Alexandria but I hope she writes it well enough to the love intact.
United Indie Book Blog
Dec 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This story was amazing! I was kind of on the fence because I am normally not into these types of books. But the love story is just something that caught me. I am a sucker for a great romance and I love this. I am also a true believer in not one God but several gods so this really caught my interest. Can't want to start the second book now!

Reviewed by Rose
Chrissy
Dec 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Quick review:

I really liked the concept of this book. For me it was fairly unique. Engaging and entertaining, kept me reading and finished in one day. I've been hitting a bit of a book lull lately so I was happy this one wasn't another "meh" book for me.

I'm looking forward to the next installment as Samantha has left many possibilities open to happen.
Rania Melhem
Jan 14, 2012 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one.
Angie Sakai
May 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Nancy
Jan 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book immensely and cannot wait to read the next installment. I feel that there were a couple of areas that could have stood with some improvement--the development of the relationship between Haley and Andrew being one of those--but, all in all, a great effort by Ms. Shakespeare.
Maria
Jan 04, 2012 rated it liked it
My Rating~ 4.25

Great Book, can't wait for the next one!! I'm excited to see what happens next with Hayley and Andrew and I'm hoping we get more Alec!!

Thanks Samantha for gifting me your book!!
Destiny
Sep 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book, the concept was very unique. I really love this series its not like all other indie books, it isn't just vampires and werewolves. She really went out of the books here and it was refreshing. I would definitely recommend this book!
Cindy
Feb 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. It definitely kept me glued to the pages. I would've given it 5 stars but I'm still not too sure how I feel about Haley, the main character. But I will say that Andrew totally was swoon worthy lol. Definitely can't wait to read the second one. Job well done, Samantha Shakespeare!
Lauren
Sep 23, 2013 rated it liked it
This is my second time reading this, somehow I forgot to rate it. I like it enough to continue the series, but found a lot of it to be irritating. I think I get annoyed with these books that people "fall deeply in love" in like a three day time span.
Marianna
The storyline and characters are really good. I enjoyed reading and plan to read the next book in the series. I am hopeful that some of the editting problems (i.e., characters that just dropped out of the story, events that are left open) are resolved in the second book.
Kimberly
Aug 10, 2012 rated it liked it
I like it enough to read the next book. Only real complaint is that most of the book was about them "proving" that they love each other over and over again. I'm not a big fan of pity parties which seems to happen throughout this whole book.
Mo
Aug 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: must-reads, 5-stars
BOOK WAS AMAZING!!!!!! CAN'T WAIT TO READ THE SEQUEL!!!!!!
Emily
Feb 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
Got this as a free book, wasn't sure what to expect. A little slow to start but got interesting....will probably finish the series out, curious to see where it leads.
Starasia
Nov 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Amazing
Daisy
Feb 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful! Love this book! Can't wait for book2!
Stephanie
Aug 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star
Wonderful read
  • Gravity (The Eclipse, #1)
  • Waiting for Mercy (Cambion, #2)
  • Anomaly (The Tri-Realms Saga, #1)
  • Ocean Kills (Ocean Breeze, #1)
  • Heart Ache (Bound by a Touch #1)
  • One Black Rose (One Black Rose, #1)
  • Sacred (Sacred Book, #1)
  • Haven (The Willows, #1)
  • Serenity (Afterlife, #2)
  • The Hunted (The Hunted #1)
  • Wilde's Fire (Darkness Falls, #1)
  • The Keeper (Mist, #1)
  • Forbidden Touch
  • Ghost of A Chance
  • Forever (Immortal, #2)
  • Enigma
  • The Secret of Spruce Knoll (Channeler, #1)
  • Sweet Light
Ms. Shakespeare was born in Tennessee and lived there for the first nineteen years of her life before relocating to the Kansas City, Missouri area, where she currently resides. She is married and has one biological child and two step-children. She graduated college in 2008 and was inspired to start writing in late 2009.

Shakespeare is not a fictional writing name - she comes from a long line of Sha

Discern Saga (4 books)
  • Discord (Discern Saga #2)
  • Dissever (Discern Saga #3)
  • Dissent (Discern Saga #4)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
  • A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel: Volume One
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)