Start by marking “The Art of Dreaming” as Want to Read:
The Art of Dreaming

The Art of Dreaming

(The Teachings of Don Juan #9)

After six years of study and meditation, the author presents a book which takes the reader on a journey of the soul via the teachings of the great sorcerer, Don Juan. Like layers of an onion, the author reveals that there are worlds existing within our own that can be visited through dreams.
Published February 16th 2004 by Element (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Dreaming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Dreaming

Ahmad Sharabiani
The Art of Dreaming (The Teachings of Don Juan #9), Carlos Castaneda
The Art of Dreaming is a 1993 book by the anthropologist Carlos Castaneda. It details events and techniques during a period of the author's apprenticeship with the Yaqui Indian Sorcerer, don Juan Matus, between 1960 and 1973. The Art of Dreaming describes the steps needed to master the control and consciousness of dreams.
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: ماه نوامبر سال 2009 میلادی
عنوان: هنر خواب بینی؛ نویسنده: کارلوس کاستاندا؛ مترجم: فرزاد هم
Iona  Stewart
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Though I have loved all Castaneda’s books so far, I have a predilection for this one. This is because I have a particular interest in dreaming, and “dreaming” (the kind of dreaming Don Juan teaches about).

Don Juan said “Through ‘dreaming’ we can perceive other worlds … we can feel how ‘dreaming’ opens up those other realms”. He calls “dreaming” the “gateway to infinity”. “Dreaming” is the sorcerers’ practical way of putting ordinary dreams to use.

We learn that the whole universe is energy. Don J
Dimitris Hall
Carlos Castaneda is certainly considered required reading for any person even slightly interested in the occult, ancient practices, magic, dreams, altered states of existence or completely different planes thereof. This one was the first book by him I finished, if you exclude The Teachings of Don Juan which I began reading in Spanish but never finished because my Spanish just isn't as good as I'd like it to be yet.

Contrary to other of his works, this one he wrote many years after the events he
Nayiry Marcossyan
Apr 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love it..I absolutely loved it, the best book i read for a while, my first book for carlos, and definitely i will read his other books, this book was an eye opener for me and proved itself very helpful, explained many matters in plain ways, a humble extremely beneficial book...somehow he reminded me of Paulo Coelho ( in means of spirituality not writing), i felt like their orders had some connection...just a thought
i wished the book didn't end, however it ended, but my dreaming continues...
Sufiyo Rubyn
Mar 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
So deep... Truly a work of art in terms of consciousness, if not with his literal writing style which can be somewhat tiresome at times. But, it's true - you'll never look at the world or dreaming the same again after reading this!
John Davis
Dec 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: dreaming, partly-read
A few pieces of quality lucid dreaming advice embedded in a towering monument to human suggestibility. Moderately entertaining, but not very efficient.
Acompassforbooks
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: essays
Reading Castaneda and his experiences under the tutelage of the alleged Yaqui sorcerer don Juan Matus is an inspiring experience. Words such as awareness, attention and intent cease to have abstract meanings to become achievable destinations. The art of dreaming is one of the key tools to realise those purposes and the thematic centre of this unique and mysterious book.
Scott Forbes
Dec 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the seminal works of anthropologist and researched on shamanic lore, Carlos Castaneda. If it doesn't knock some sense into you, the dreams you can see, will. If you can't read this, please first understand that you're missing the point of reading, which is partly vicarious experience. If you can't prepare in book form, you're going to have to go the hard way. And nobody really should go the hard way down that dream corridor. You'll love this book if you think that there is more to ...more
Ben
Feb 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If this is a work of fiction, as many of the critics claim (and I believe they are probably right, although it could have been partially based on, or inspired by, real people and events), I would say Castaneda has one hell of spectacular imagination. Throughout the book, I was constantly reminded of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass; except in this case Alice is a hot-tempered adult male anthropologist. The chapter in which he meets the Death Defier is absolutely t ...more
John Elbare
May 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a fascinating book in a series of several books by Carlos Casteneda about his training from Don Juan, a Yaqui native American sorcerer. I read it once before, several years ago, and it is even better on second reading. Some critics have claimed that Casteneda made all of this up -- if so, it is still a remarkable story. This book covers Carlos' mastery of lucid dreaming and the other worlds that are accessible through dreaming.
Carmilla Voiez
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: magic, non-fiction
It's fascinating. Is perception reality? Is magick simply madness? Is there a point in space, time or perception we can access that allows us not only to change our own reality but that of other people?

The sceptic in me wanted to dismiss it as nonsense and my spiritual side wanted to full embrace everything and try to replicate the dreaming. In the end I just filed it away for future use, however, it made me wonder whether his description of the assemblage point and how shifts in it alter the wa
Justin
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirituality, own
My favorite Castaneda book. I now have a fantasy that I can use some of the techniques to sleep better, we'll see. At the very least this is an enjoyable read
CD
Jun 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
At the time of its release this was a much discussed work on that most Freudian of worlds, the dreamscape. Castaneda wrote at length about 'active dreaming' to use another term. Probably still too esoteric and obscure for most readers or those without cause to delve into this type of work.

[ June 2011

Another box of books has been reopened for cleaning, sorting, and reevaluation and lo and behold, many of the collected works of Carlos Castaneda are part of the contents.

Many years have gone but I r
Bernard Palacios
Feb 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is an autobiography of Carlos and him learning the teachings of Don Juan. he was a graduate student learning about anthropology, he did his thesis on Mexican shaman and their use of medicinal herbs to induce psychotropic effects to help cure various illness. In my opinion this book was a pretty difficult read, introducing new concepts and beliefs that boggle the mind, well at least for me a tenth grader. Although its a difficult read its still very interesting. The whole idea of percei ...more
Jaime Dyson
Jan 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
In The Art of Dreaming Carlos Castaneda recounts his time with a sorcerer in Mexico. Having studied dreams, lucid dreaming and astral projection for many years I very much resonated with a lot of the material presented. Castaneda's accounts parallel my own in a lot of ways. Shame on those who may be quick to dismiss altered states of consciousness (without the experience!) and the incredible value they hold. Castaneda goes a bit over board with drama in his account and the writing style leaves a ...more
Katerina Hatzimihail
Jul 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Amazing.And yes, you can dream with others and move in your dreams.!!!!!
Veerinder
Jul 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Not entirely sure what I just read.
Keerthika Rajaram
Feb 29, 2016 rated it liked it
As a strong lucid dreamer, I could connect a lot in this edition.
Kasey Reese
May 17, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've always been fascinated by the mystery of dreams and how some seem to take bits and pieces of one's day and turn them into a fully realized 3D technicolour movie, whereas others seem imbued with meaning and even personal guidance; other dreams which seem to take place in familiar but different real worlds; and others are eerily life like.

I began this book with great expectations based upon the buzz I had heard over the years with regards to the author's other books, and with the book's jack
Jose
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is nuuuuuuuuuttttsss...
Anybody that has had proficient experience lucid dreaming will resonate with the events in this story.
I picked up the book assuming it was a work of fiction,
I read the author's note and got the gist it was an academic relation of an anthropologist. As I kept reading it seemed a bit romanticized, the dramatic events and climax made it seem like fiction again.
Then I did wiki research on the author and the characters in the book. They are all actual people, they hav
Beyond Enigma
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Seems almost fictional but the art of dreaming is real. Carlos ventures off into a world which would flip his world upside down. Mind blowing experiences going through so called "gates of dreaming" the number 7 comes up for the gates of dreaming. 7 archangels, 7 heavens, 7 senses, 7 major chords, 7 primary colors...etc. Carlos enters REAL realms of objectified experience where other entities exist. I myself practice the art of dreaming and can attest for the findings so far at the first gate of ...more
Vanessa
Jan 01, 2018 rated it did not like it
I read 30 pages of this and really couldn't get into it - substantively, or writing style. It's super new-agey, so I suppose if that's what you are looking for, this would be a good choice for you. However if you are interested in the psychology or meaning of dreaming/interpretation, this isn't for you. I'm just in the latter category.
Kent
Oct 05, 2017 rated it liked it
This grabbed my attention at first but then I felt sunk into a formula, a type of reading experience, somewhat masturbatory, and I no longer felt like I was learning anything. I’m putting this one away. I got this for education not to live vicariously through Casteneda.
Ilham kraimi
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
ecause I'm a lucid dreamer and have had few OBEs I really enjoyed reading this book!
Soul Survivor
Aug 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Not as good as the first time I read it 45 years ago , but brought back psychedelic memories .
Senad Dizdarević
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
With this book, you can learn to lucid dream.

Then use your skill and with my book Letters to Palkies find out who is your incarnant from another planet that is sleeping in your head.
Mike
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Our reality is just one layer of a very big onion.
Jasmine Sharma
Sep 06, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading it. But it left me wondering if it's a fiction or not. Apparently, it's not a fiction. It's entertaining.
Josh
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Is it all lies? Does it matter? It lived in your head, didn't it?
Paul
Feb 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Couldn't finish, got really repetitive and tedious
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Teachings of Don Carlos: Practical Applications of the Works of Carlos Castañeda
  • Sorcerer's Apprentice: My Life with Carlos Castaneda
  • The Witch's Dream: A Healer's Way of Knowledge
  • The Sorcerer's Crossing: A Woman's Journey
  • Conscious Dreaming: A Spiritual Path for Everyday Life
  • The Tibetan Yogas Of Dream And Sleep
  • Lucid Dreaming - The Power of Being Awake & Aware in Your Dreams
  • Ayahuasca in My Blood: 25 Years of Medicine Dreaming
  • Journeys Out of the Body: The Classic Work on Out-Of-Body Experience
  • The Shaman's Body: A New Shamanism for Transforming Health, Relationships, and the Community
  • Breaking Open the Head: A Psychedelic Journey Into the Heart of Contemporary Shamanism
  • Entering the Circle: Ancient Secrets of Siberian Wisdom Discovered by a Russian Psychiatrist
  • The Holotropic Mind: The Three Levels of Human Consciousness and How They Shape Our Lives
  • Dream Yoga and the Practice of Natural Light
  • Return of the Bird Tribes
  • The Invisible Landscape: Mind, Hallucinogens & the I Ching
  • Astral Dynamics: A New Approach to Out-Of-Body Experience
  • Sacred Vine of Spirits: Ayahuasca
Carlos Castaneda was an American author.
Starting with The Teachings of Don Juan in 1968, Castaneda wrote a series of books that describe his training in shamanism, particularly with a group whose lineage descended from the Toltecs.
The books, narrated in the first person, relate his experiences under the tutelage of a man that Castaneda claimed was a Yaqui "Man of Knowledge" named don Juan Matus.

The Teachings of Don Juan (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge
  • Eagle's Gift
  • Fire from Within
  • Power of Silence
  • Magical Passes: The Practical Wisdom of the Shamans of Ancient Mexico
  • The Wheel of Time: The Shamans of Mexico Their Thoughts About Life Death & the Universe
“...only if they remain totally detached can they have the energy to be free. Theirs is a particular type of detachment which is born not out of fear or indolence, but out of conviction.” 5 likes
“«Понимание всего этого не является упражнением для разума, — сказал дон Хуан, внимательно выслушав мои доводы. — Вряд ли я смогу объяснить, что именно имеют в виду маги, говоря о волокнах внутри и вне человеческой формы. Когда видящий видит человеческую форму, он видит один-единственный шар энергии. Твое представление относительно множества шаров продиктовано привычкой воспринимать людей как толпу. Но в энергетической вселенной толп не существует. Там есть только отдельные индивидуумы, одинокие, окруженные безграничностью. Ты должен увидеть все это сам.»” 0 likes