Start by marking “Little Boy Lost (The Librarian, #1)” as Want to Read:
Little Boy Lost (The Librarian, #1)

Little Boy Lost (The Librarian #1)

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  805 Ratings  ·  124 Reviews
Wesley Bates thinks his life pretty much sucks. He's landed at the bottom of his school's popularity ladder, and bully Randy Stanford seems to be waiting around every corner.

The troubled teen thinks he's found a way to escape his real-world problems when he stumbles upon strange doorways in Astoria's local library that seem to lead into the extraordinary worlds from all hi
Published September 22nd 2011

Tabby
Dec 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-book, kindle
THE REVIEW

Why this book?

The description reminded me of Inkheart

What I thought

Well it was a cute fast paced read, I'll read the sequel since it ended with cliffhanger. It was nothing like Inkheart like I was hoping. It did have some magic and did have them go into the land of OZ and someone come out of Neverland which was exciting. I probably would of liked it better if I was younger but I did enjoy it for what it was. Overall an cute read!
Steven
Dec 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015, fantasy
Fun little story with a great concept. I'd read the second one!
Tiffany Spencer
May 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
Little Boy Lost
PLOT: Locke (a Lost Boy) has always wanted to escape the predictability of Neverland, where the same events happen day after day over and over the same way. Meanwhile, in Astoria, a boy named Wesley also wants to escape his life of being beaten down daily by the school's bully Randall and his crew. Little does he know that he and his best friend Taylor's eyes are going to be opened to something extraordinary, proving that the magical lands of fiction lore go way beyond the ink and
Karen Field
Dec 09, 2011 rated it liked it
I would have given this one 3.5 stars if I was able to.

The story is about two friends who go on a class excursion to an old library. The library has been put on the demolition list and is due to be bulldozed to make room for a shopping centre. Whilst at the library strange things start to happen, which include characters from Peter Pan and the Wizard of Oz.

The book is for younger readers, but there is some swearing and minor violence in it.

I enjoyed the story, it was interesting. The main chara
Tricia
Nov 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Imagine a library that led you to places that only books have dared to go. Visit the yellow brick road from Oz, see Neverland in person, but what if you did something to change these stories while happily hopping along. Would it change the course of all stories related to the original? Wesley and Taylor find out the hard way the answers to these questions.
I thought this was a great opening to a series that can only grow with time, it could even encourage those who have never read the original s
Shari
Nov 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book, my-library
A truly enjoyable book, well written and a great story. I really would love to visit this Library. I have not read all the classics listed in this book, but am familiar with them and think it would be great fun to step into the pages.. If we could only visit our favorite books like this. I'm sure young readers will love this book, very engaging.

I'm looking forward to the next book in the series, I must find out what happens to Oz.
April
Nov 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
A very sweet and fun little adventure for preteens. All about the power of books.
Lisa
May 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Saw this compared to Percy Jackson, so I grabbed it. I wouldn't make that comparison, but it's a good middle-grade read nonetheless. A bit of fantasy, a bit of preteen angst, a bit of unlikely friendship development...
Wesley Bates' class heads to a local historical building, "the library," that's in danger of being closed. Wesley and his friend Taylor explore more of the library than they ought to, and they end up finding out the mystery of the library...that it contains two-way portals tot book
Shannon
I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for my honest review.

I enjoyed this book, and I'm anxious to get to book 2. Hobbs blends some of our favorite children's stories into this tale but gives them a distinct twist. Our main character Wesley finds himself on a field trip to tour a local library. Also on the trip are his best friend Taylor and worst enemy Randy. Wesley is regularly bullied by Randy and his crew of goons, while Taylor is always sticking up for him and telling
Virginia Henderson
After downloading the sample on Kindle, I knew I had to read the rest of it! It was an exciting and quick read. I did notice some of it went fast and it was difficult to grasp what was happening and I had to read it a few times to make sense of it. I loved the ending and am intrigued to check out the second book of the series.
Judy
Aug 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Cute Children's story

A bit short, but most likely the right size for kids. The story line seemed to have an air of the television show that came out "Once Upon A Time" but for childern so a simpler story line. Because it is a trend to rewrite fairy tales I gave it a lower score, but it was a fun read.
Kevin
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a treat!

My kid and I love the Land of Stories series ... and to this day believe that it is the best story ever told ... until now. The Librarian is definitely worth a read. Even thou short, it was still good. The author did a fantastic job setting up what is to be a great series. Now I have to get my kid to read it ... she will and I can guarantee she will like it.
Carly Kirk
Sep 02, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a pretty decent middle school book - which perhaps I should have realized from the cover art. (this book has been on my kindle for years and I just finally got around to reading it) I'm glad I have the 2nd one as well, since this one ends rather abruptly and I do want to know what how the characters are going to fix the problems they created with their actions in this one.
Gabriella
May 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, 2017, fantasy
A good start to a book. Would have loved more development of the characters and understanding of the world. With a big cliffhanger at the end i know i will read more to see what happens but wish there was more to start with.
Susan
Nov 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, primary
Was slightly disappointed with this fractured tale. When the real world and children’s literature collide, you can buy in or close the book. I feel mid to upper elementary students will like this book, but not young adults.
Christine C.
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great story

I read this book to my son who really enjoyed it. It is a great, quick, fun read. We are looking forward to starting the second book.
Becky Ritter
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A refreshing mix of old and new stories. I read the entire book because it grabbed my attention. Recommend for 4th grade and up, but a good book to read to second and third graders.
Mark B. Wall
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Exciting

Really good book. Can't wait to see what happens next. Some of the expressions used by the author required me to explain to me 7 and 8 year old but overall good book.
Ella
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Similarities

It is so very similar to land of stories😕. Very alike storyline even characters again boy and girl and fairy stories the same. Oz , Peter Pan........ quite boring.
RoloPoloBookBlog
The Librarian by Eric Hobbs
(Book #1: Little Boy Lost)
Source: Purchase
Rating:3/5 stars

Little Lost Boy is the first novella in The Librarian series and introduces the reader to Wes and Taylor, two friends who discover their local library is far, far more than a place that houses books. In fact, their library is a place where the boundaries between the real and fictional worlds are often very, very blurry.

The Astoria Library is the coolest place in town and a place of legend, a place where some of
Izzy
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun book to listen to when you're looking for adventure, magic, and fairy tales all in one!
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
Little Boy Lost is a middle grade adventure that takes every book lovers fantasy of stepping into our favorite worlds and brings it to life for Wesley. I definitely think that lovers of “The Neverending Story” or “The Pagemaster” will enjoy this fun adventure.

I really enjoyed Wesley and I thought he was incredible relate-able and I really rooted for him. I loved his gradual growth over the course of the book, and I’m super happy that he gained some much needed confidence in himself. Taylor, his
Stephanie (Once Upon a Chapter)
Jul 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2012
First of all, you know as a reader that you are going to be a little biased toward any kind of story that is set around books. There is also an old library in the story. In my mind I pictured it a little bit like the library from The Pagemaster. This library has big carved panels depicting some of the more well known scenes from classics such as The Wizard of Oz and Peter Pan. It also has displays in front of each panel with items one might find in the world between the covers. We all know that ...more
John
Apr 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Librarian: Little Boy Lost by Eric Hobbs is a neat framing pastiche which sets up a premise where the Astoria Public Library (in nearby-ish to me Astoria, Oregon!) is magically connected to famous public domain fantasy worlds from other books, like Neverland, Wonderland, Oz. I couldn't help but be interested in a story with a magical library. Definitely targeted at a younger audience, but it was still interesting enough as, mentioned already, a pastiche and a bit formulaic in places. I'm not ...more
Randee Baty
May 05, 2014 rated it liked it
It’s a common theme for children’s book. Classic literature coming to life. So do we need more of this theme? I say, sure! Why not?

This first book I remember reading where classic literature came to life was “Seven Day Magic” by Edward Eager, my favorite children’s author. In that book, as in this one, the world of Oz comes to life. I loved the idea then and I love the idea now.

Wesley and his class are on a field trip to the library and will find out who wins a essay contest. Wesley’s was stole
Claire - The Coffeeholic Bookworm
Have you ever heard about Locke, one of the Lost Boys in Neverland? Actually, this boy literally got lost in the real world and he had only eighty-eight minutes left to go back to Neverland through the library's portal. Luckily, Wesley and his best friend Taylor saw him in the halls of the library and decided to help him on his journey, but not without consequences.

Because the only way to do this was to find the Peter Pan dagger that seemed to have been stolen by a bully named Randy. And this b
Nada
Nov 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: r-lt
Review first published on my blog: http://memoriesfrombooks.blogspot.com...

The Librarian, Book 1: Little Boy Lost is the start of a delightful new series for children. The main character is Wesley, a young man who is a good student, an avid reader, a compelling writer and the target of the school bully. The bully is Randy. Wesley does have one friend, Taylor. The "Librarian" is the caretaker of the Astoria library, which, of course, is the place of legends and magic.

Based on the author's letter
Eric Fisk
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great story and great twists.
Doskoi_panda
Nov 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook
An introverted, bookwormish boy goes on a class field trip to the local library, an unusual building not unlike a castle, complete with a mysterious past. The class bully picks on him en route, and takes his short story - an extra credit assignment and entry to a contest at the library. The story follows his adventure in the library and also the larger story of the library and librarian, the threat of demolition and the impact of books upon the world. This is the first volume in a projected seri ...more
Kelley
Jan 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Wesley is the class nerd. He is good at writing and loves books, so when his class takes a field trip to the ancient library in town, he is excited to go. He prepares an essay for the contest to be judged by the ancient curator, which is promptly confiscated by the class bully. While exploring the library with his friend Taylor, the two happen upon a terrified wild boy who seems to be straight out of a children's book. Things only get stranger from there.

I thought this was a fantastic book. Havi
  • The Cypher (Guardians Inc. #1)
  • Venom of the Serpent's Cunning (Andy Smithson, #2)
  • The Serpent's Ring (Relics of Mysticus, #1)
  • How to Slay a Dragon (The Journals of Myrth, #1)
  • The Golden Acorn
  • Mason McQueen and the Gargoyle's Curse (book 1)
  • Reader and Educator Guide to "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings"
  • The Last Enchanter  (Celestine Chronicles #2)
  • Kendra Kandlestar and the Box of Whispers
  • The Wizard of Time (Wizard of Time, #1)
  • Priscilla the Great (Priscilla the Great #1)
  • Nate Rocks the World (Nate Rocks, #1)
  • Neverdark
  • Heirs of Prophecy (The Prophecies, #1)
  • Cloak
  • Will Allen and the Great Monster Detective (The Chronicles of the Monster Detective Agency)
  • Weaver (Weaver Saga #1)
  • A Place Beyond The Map

The Librarian (3 books)
  • Unhappily Ever After (The Librarian, #2)
  • The Librarian (Book Three: A Pirate's Revenge)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Third Kingdom (Sword of Truth Book 13)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Pillars of Creation (Sword of Truth, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Severed Souls (Sword of Truth)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Phantom (Sword of Truth, #10)
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The First Confessor: The Legend of Magda Searus (Richard and Kahlan)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Confessor (Sword of Truth, #11)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Faith of the Fallen (Sword of Truth, #6)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Naked Empire (Sword of Truth, #8)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Debt of Bones (Sword of Truth)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Warheart: Sword of Truth - The Conclusion (Richard and Kahlan)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Omen Machine (Richard and Kahlan, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chainfire (Sword of Truth, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)