Start by marking “Are You a Cow?” as Want to Read:
Are You a Cow?

Are You a Cow?

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  1,118 Ratings  ·  70 Reviews
Embrace identity with this brand-new board book from the beloved and bestselling Sandra Boynton!

Are you a COW?
Are you a DOG?
Are you a DUCK?
Are you a FROG?
     A clever chicken narrates a playful inquiry in this charming and hilarious story perfect for Boynton fans new and old. As readers answer the chicken’s questions, they’ll gain animal recognition skills as well as an
Board Book, 16 pages
Published May 1st 2012 by Little Simon

To ask other readers questions about Are You a Cow?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Are You a Cow?

Nick
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
My personal favorite Boynton book! Both of my kids loved this one right around age one and we have read it so many times I've lost count!
Jennifer Ferrell
Apr 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I picked this book up quite certain that I was not, in fact, a cow. I mean, I have my days but I know better than to call myself a bovine. The book not only helped me and the friend I shared the book with decide that we were not cows but eliminated a whole zoo's worth of other species too. A page turner and one I highly recommend for anyone confused about what they are.
Sara!
Jun 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of the most epic books of our generation.
Rarely does an author come along who so thoroughly captures the hearts, minds, and souls of her time that there is no possible way to go back.
Life is forever altered by this brilliant prose.

Jeniece Goellner
Grace was really engaged with this book. We got lots of giggles by asking her the "Are you a..." questions and then telling her no she wasn't and why.
midnightfaerie
Jun 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
I, myself, love Sandra Boynton, but my kids seem to get bored easily with her. I think many of her illustrations that I love, look alike to the kids and so it's hard to distinguish between the books, even with content. This one they remembered because of the animal sounds I made to accompany the pictures. Overall a cute book, but not one we'll read again.
Modboy
Jan 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Aunt Joan for Eliza.
I wasn't really impressed. Most of Boynton's books have a whimsical, lyrical quality but this one doesn't. Although toddlers can certainly relate to the word "No" it's not really something I necessary want them repeating over and over again as the book does.
mbright
Jan 22, 2015 rated it did not like it
I'm not a penguin upside-down. I'm a full grown man reading this garbage.
Jade
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: baby-shelf
Note: this is not my review but the review of my daughter who can't have her own goodreads but does love herself a book! Therefore I will be writing them for her. She is currently 6 months old.

Other than the page about the hippos, enjoyed this book a lot. Not sure what it is baby has against hippos... Note: Book is made much funnier by the addition of animal noises for each page. Very grateful we didn't have to figure out what noise a penguin makes.
Dana
Nov 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Learning about animals through rhyming and humor.
Erik
Feb 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction-children
I think the best of Boynton's books are the ones with lots of energy behind them, but this is still a fun way to learn animals through interactive rhyming and repetition.
Melissa
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It is a small board book. You will have to make it bigger for a class.
Kimberly
Cute, but it doesn't hold a candle to Boynton's other books.
Sandy Brehl
Reliably fun, no matter how often it is read again... and it will be.
Rebecca
Jan 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Cute, but short
Rae B.
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Frequently requested at bedtime when we had it home from the library, it only took a few readings before my toddler was responding to each question. Fabulous!
Tracy
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, kiddo
I like this one enough to bring it home from the library, that's something.

Update, 7 June 2017: Kiddo knows the word "no" and can play along with this book; I may have to buy a copy. The only way it could be any better (mild spoiler alert) is if the last page had a mirror.
Theresa Love
Jul 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Poised with his beak opened wide, a bossy chicken demands your attention as soon as you open the book.

"Hey! I’m a chicken. Yes, it’s true. Tell me! Tell me! What are you?"

Boynton cleverly introduces a different animal on each page. This question and answer format will help your little ones with animal recognition and encourages feedback. The questions appear in regular sized type and the answers are in a tiny font, which guarantees a high low rhythmic sound.

"Are you a cow? No. Are you a dog? No.
Erin
Aug 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Repetition is the name of the game for toddlers. And what better word to repeat than their favorite - no (parents read: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! NONONO!).

This isn't the cleverest of Sandra Boynton's books, nor is it particularly rhymey, but it does include her signature bright, fun animal characters and some playful teasing. The chicken narrator asks a series of questions - are you a dog? are you a cow? - that are easy to follow for toddlers and gives them the opportunity to respond. My 2-year-ol
Patricia Newsome
This is a picture book for children age one through pre-k. This book helps the young child to know and understand who they are and what they are not. The title begins by asking "Are you a cow?" That is what grabs your attention and leaves you wanting to know what other questions does it ask. The characters are clear and as the narrator asks the questions and there is the response NO, or Nope. I rated this book a two star because the book falls short in telling the child who they are. The child l ...more
Katherine Cowley
Jun 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, humor
This is THE book to read to your baby/toddler once she has learned to say the word "No," because she will love to read along.

Each page of the book has fun, standard Boynton illustrations of animals, with a question: "Are you a cow?" "Are you a lamb?" etc. And then the answer, of course, is "No." I only had to read the book once and my 16-month daughter caught on--now she reads half of it for me. I say, "Are you a duck?" pointing at the picture, and she says "no!" On some animals she says, "NO,
Robert Beveridge
Aug 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cle-pub-lib, finished
Sandra Boynton, Are You a Cow? (Simon and Schuster, 2012)

I'm not sure I can, or need to, give you any more of a recommendation than this. The bean, an inveterate Boynton fanatic, has never asked me to read a Boynton book more than once in a row until tonight. Are You a Cow? Got read three full times before I was allowed to put it down. If that doesn't qualify as the Bean Stamp of Approval, I don't know what does. From my perspective, it's a rather slight thing, but fun to read and just as adept
Rachael
Jul 15, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 1kbbk
Everyone strongly suggests Boynton books when you're looking for books for babies or toddlers, but I think it's time I realize that they are not for us. This is the 4th one we've checked out and I still feel like I must be reading the wrongs ones. The illustrations remind me of greeting cards and the animals are so hard to distinguish from each other that my son is bored by them too. The text in some of the other books we've read contains charming rhymes but there are so many better books out th ...more
Chantale Pard
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, board-books
This book is extra special to me because I bought the personalized copy for my niece, so it's called "Are You An Ava?" at their house, and includes a few pictures of her, too. It's chewed up but quite well loved,and was well worth the (high) expense! A book they'll definitely keep forever, like an old well-loved blankie. As with all of Boynton's books, the illustrations are adorable and the rhymes and beats are spot on and fun.
Joanne
Dec 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Perfect for about age 2-3. Asks in verse whether or not the child is a particular animal throughout the book. I field-tested it with a sunny two-year-old, who looked at me with wide eyes as I read, and answered solemnly, "No" to each page.

Me: "Are you a cow?"
Two-year-old: "No." (With the clear subtext of, "Who IS this crazy lady?" until he caught on to the game.)

I was snorting aloud by the end. So of course we read it again.
Heidi-Marie
Perfect book to read to a little one. The Q&A will engage them, as will Boynton illustrations. This could work very well in a toddler storytime. Of course, it's in board book format which wouldn't work well in a large group, but there are still possibilities.

10/14/13: Perfect for the young ones I'm getting in Movement storytime. Even though the board book is small, the crowd isn't huge and I'm standing--so making sure everyone sees it isn't too hard.
Drew Graham
Jan 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
What are you? Probably not a cow or a duck or a hippo if you're reading this book.

Time for another string of Sandra Boynton book reviews! This one is nice and short (the book and the review), and is already a big hit with The Boy. It has a lot of fun animals in quick succession, and he likes saying "YOU" at the end. It's not one of her top best, but it was a good library find.
Amanda Hicks
Mar 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-childrens
This review has more words than the book:

We read this book all of the time. For some reason it is one of my toddler's favorite books; albeit, she does not read the words and does not like it when we read the words. She simply asks every single page... "Are you a cow?"

There is only one cow in this entire book. Usually she says it is not a cow either.

We may need to go meet some cows.
Lindsey
Jan 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: baby, kid1, picture-books
Another great entry by Boynton. This one is a bit short without the bouncing rhymes of her other works. Has the trademark illustrations and a nice message about being you. Very appropriate for toddlers who will enjoy the back and forth dialogue of "are you a..." and "no!".
Samantha
Sep 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Such a fun read with animals galore! Each page presents an animal and asks the reader if they are the animal pictured.

I like reading this aloud and making the sounds of each animal as they are featured in text. Great for sharing with babies and toddlers.
Great Books
May 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: birth-4
Delightful, teasing text asks your child "What are you?...Are you a COW?...Are you a DOG?" Of course the answers is a giggly, "NO!" Great for animal "identification" and noises galore!
Reviewer #7
  • Ten Tiny Toes
  • This Little Chick
  • All of Baby, Nose to Toes
  • The Baby Goes Beep
Sandra Keith Boynton is a popular American humorist, songwriter, children's author and illustrator. Boynton has written and illustrated more than forty books for both children and adults, as well as over four thousand greeting cards, and four music albums. Although she does not license her characters to be redrawn or adapted, she has herself designed—for various companies—calendars, wallpaper, bed ...more
More about Sandra Boynton