Start by marking “Are You a Cow?” as Want to Read:
Are You a Cow?

Are You a Cow?

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  417 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Embrace identity with this brand-new board book from the beloved and bestselling Sandra Boynton!

Are you a COW?
Are you a DOG?
Are you a DUCK?
Are you a FROG?
     A clever chicken narrates a playful inquiry in this charming and hilarious story perfect for Boynton fans new and old. As readers answer the chicken’s questions, they’ll
Board Book, 16 pages
Published May 1st 2012 by Little Simon

To ask other readers questions about Are You a Cow?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Are You a Cow?

Life is a Circus Run by a Platypus by Allison HawnGo the Fuck to Sleep by Adam MansbachF U, Penguin by Matthew GasteierAnother Bullshit Night in Suck City by Nick FlynnPsycho Proctologists and the Flaming Buttholes of Doom by W.W. Pecker
Books that just have cool titles
37th out of 286 books — 78 voters
Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussMoo, Baa, La La La! by Sandra BoyntonThe Little Engine That Could by Watty Piper
Books for two-year-old children
40th out of 202 books — 164 voters

More lists with this book...

midnightfaerie
I, myself, love Sandra Boynton, but my kids seem to get bored easily with her. I think many of her illustrations that I love, look alike to the kids and so it's hard to distinguish between the books, even with content. This one they remembered because of the animal sounds I made to accompany the pictures. Overall a cute book, but not one we'll read again.
Sara!
One of the most epic books of our generation.
Rarely does an author come along who so thoroughly captures the hearts, minds, and souls of her time that there is no possible way to go back.
Life is forever altered by this brilliant prose.

Modboy
Jan 25, 2013 Modboy rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Aunt Joan for Eliza.
I wasn't really impressed. Most of Boynton's books have a whimsical, lyrical quality but this one doesn't. Although toddlers can certainly relate to the word "No" it's not really something I necessary want them repeating over and over again as the book does.
Rachael Ricker (Myers)
Everyone strongly suggests Boynton books when you're looking for books for babies or toddlers, but I think it's time I realize that they are not for us. This is the 4th one we've checked out and I still feel like I must be reading the wrongs ones. The illustrations remind me of greeting cards and the animals are so hard to distinguish from each other that my son is bored by them too. The text in some of the other books we've read contains charming rhymes but there are so many better books out th ...more
Theresa Love
Poised with his beak opened wide, a bossy chicken demands your attention as soon as you open the book.

"Hey! I’m a chicken. Yes, it’s true. Tell me! Tell me! What are you?"

Boynton cleverly introduces a different animal on each page. This question and answer format will help your little ones with animal recognition and encourages feedback. The questions appear in regular sized type and the answers are in a tiny font, which guarantees a high low rhythmic sound.

"Are you a cow? No. Are you a dog? No.
Chantale Pard
This book is extra special to me because I bought the personalized copy for my niece, so it's called "Are You An Ava?" at their house, and includes a few pictures of her, too. It's chewed up but quite well loved,and was well worth the (high) expense! A book they'll definitely keep forever, like an old well-loved blankie. As with all of Boynton's books, the illustrations are adorable and the rhymes and beats are spot on and fun.
Drew Graham
What are you? Probably not a cow or a duck or a hippo if you're reading this book.

Time for another string of Sandra Boynton book reviews! This one is nice and short (the book and the review), and is already a big hit with The Boy. It has a lot of fun animals in quick succession, and he likes saying "YOU" at the end. It's not one of her top best, but it was a good library find.
Erin
Repetition is the name of the game for toddlers. And what better word to repeat than their favorite - no (parents read: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! NONONO!).

This isn't the cleverest of Sandra Boynton's books, nor is it particularly rhymey, but it does include her signature bright, fun animal characters and some playful teasing. The chicken narrator asks a series of questions - are you a dog? are you a cow? - that are easy to follow for toddlers and gives them the opportunity to respond. My 2-year-ol
Robert Beveridge
Sandra Boynton, Are You a Cow? (Simon and Schuster, 2012)

I'm not sure I can, or need to, give you any more of a recommendation than this. The bean, an inveterate Boynton fanatic, has never asked me to read a Boynton book more than once in a row until tonight. Are You a Cow? Got read three full times before I was allowed to put it down. If that doesn't qualify as the Bean Stamp of Approval, I don't know what does. From my perspective, it's a rather slight thing, but fun to read and just as adept
Meg McGregor
A great book to introduce the idea of identity and uniqueness to your little ones!
Fun text and whimsical drawings make this book one your little one will laugh and laugh at and want to hear over and over again!
Katherine Cowley
This is THE book to read to your baby/toddler once she has learned to say the word "No," because she will love to read along.

Each page of the book has fun, standard Boynton illustrations of animals, with a question: "Are you a cow?" "Are you a lamb?" etc. And then the answer, of course, is "No." I only had to read the book once and my 16-month daughter caught on--now she reads half of it for me. I say, "Are you a duck?" pointing at the picture, and she says "no!" On some animals she says, "NO,
Troy
Another great book that engages the reader/toddler. I enjoy my daughter reactions to the questions. It also tries to build self worth and talking about how special being you is.
Mikebright
I'm not a penguin upside-down. I'm a full grown man reading this garbage.
Katie Gonzalez
I'm going to love reading this to my toddlers and young preschool.
Heidi
Perfect book to read to a little one. The Q&A will engage them, as will Boynton illustrations. This could work very well in a toddler storytime. Of course, it's in board book format which wouldn't work well in a large group, but there are still possibilities.

10/14/13: Perfect for the young ones I'm getting in Movement storytime. Even though the board book is small, the crowd isn't huge and I'm standing--so making sure everyone sees it isn't too hard.
Joanne
Perfect for about age 2-3. Asks in verse whether or not the child is a particular animal throughout the book. I field-tested it with a sunny two-year-old, who looked at me with wide eyes as I read, and answered solemnly, "No" to each page.

Me: "Are you a cow?"
Two-year-old: "No." (With the clear subtext of, "Who IS this crazy lady?" until he caught on to the game.)

I was snorting aloud by the end. So of course we read it again.
Lindsey
Another great entry by Boynton. This one is a bit short without the bouncing rhymes of her other works. Has the trademark illustrations and a nice message about being you. Very appropriate for toddlers who will enjoy the back and forth dialogue of "are you a..." and "no!".
Samantha
Such a fun read with animals galore! Each page presents an animal and asks the reader if they are the animal pictured.

I like reading this aloud and making the sounds of each animal as they are featured in text. Great for sharing with babies and toddlers.
Great Books
Delightful, teasing text asks your child "What are you?...Are you a COW?...Are you a DOG?" Of course the answers is a giggly, "NO!" Great for animal "identification" and noises galore!
Reviewer #7
Mallory
A fun book to use to teach your little one about different animals. The pictures are cute and you can use a lot of different voices so it's great as a read aloud. You can also teach your little one the noises each animal makes.
Elsa
My almost-two-year-old loves this one because she can answer all the questions anticipate the ending. A charming and entertaining board book from Sandra Boynton (as usual).
Lisa
While it doesn't have Boynton's traditional fun rhymes, the simplicity of this book makes it great for a 2 year old animal story time. It would also be a great flannelboard.
jacky
Not the best of Sandra Boynton, but still fun. It lacks the humor of my favorites of her other books, but it is a nice review of animals and not too repetitive.
Cheryl
Thrift store find - in great shape - I wonder why the child to whom it previously belonged didn't wear it out more... I thought it great fun!
Library Quine

An adorable board book with the opportunity for children to participate with the word NO! Perfect for my baby rhymetimes.
Danielle
Bright, colorful, pictures of animals. Children can answer the questions to encourage participation. With a bit of humor added in.
Holly Leighfield
Great for littles!!! Love Sandra Boynton and this book no exception. Fantastic read for toddlers and their older siblings listening in!
Roben
Sandra Boynton and cows! What more is there to say? It's a wonderful book to add to anyone's Boynton collection.
  • Llama Llama Zippity-Zoom
  • Yawn
  • Duck & Goose, Goose Needs a Hug
  • Tubby
  • That's Not My Teddy
  • Time for a Hug
  • Baby Danced the Polka (ALA Notable Children's Books. Younger Readers (Awards))
  • Flip, Flap, Fly!: A Book for Babies Everywhere
  • Let's Sing a Lullaby with the Brave Cowboy
  • You Are My Sunshine
  • Farmyard Beat
  • Hello Baby!
  • There Was a Tree
Sandra Keith Boynton is a popular American humorist, songwriter, children's author and illustrator. Boynton has written and illustrated more than forty books for both children and adults, as well as over four thousand greeting cards, and four music albums. Although she does not license her characters to be redrawn or adapted, she has herself designed—for various companies—calendars, wallpaper, bed ...more
More about Sandra Boynton...
Moo, Baa, La La La! The Going-To-Bed Book Barnyard Dance But Not the Hippopotamus Blue Hat, Green Hat (Boynton Board Books)