Start by marking “Lucia's Eyes and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Lucia's Eyes and Other Stories

Lucia's Eyes and Other Stories

it was amazing 5.00  ·  Rating details ·  4 ratings  ·  3 reviews
The resistance of the human spirit in face of time, disloyalty, and oblivion is the theme of Marina Sonkina's new collection of short stories. Her seemingly na?ve and helpless protagonists inhabit disparate social stations, geographical locales and cultures; all are persons displaced in their own lives. But in their struggles for survival, they discover the redeeming and d ...more
Published March 1st 2011 by Guernica Editions

To ask other readers questions about Lucia's Eyes and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lucia's Eyes and Other Stories

it was amazing 5.00  ·

Ksenia Anske
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I’m always on a lookout for great new Russian writers, and I just found one. Superb short stories that will take out your heart, toy with it, and maybe put it back, maybe not. Lyric, beautiful language, and lyric, beautiful darkness. So very Russian, and so very not Russian. The first story especially, about a small boy’s love—for his father and for a girl—took my heart for sure. Those eyes…see them? They’re magic.
Morzejko Leporello
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
While this is Sonkina's earlier book, I have read it following her last work, "Expulsion and Other Stories".
In some way the two books are similar - not surprising as being written by the same author and often set during the communist era in the Soviet Union. The collection includes six short stories, and some are longer short stories, but what did surprise me is the diversity of the protagonists (children, men, women) places, topics and even styles.
The first, title story, is about a young boy in
Lakis Fourouklas
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
There are six short stories in this collection and they are all well worth reading.

The Eyes of Santa Lucia tells us the story of Anton, a boy who grows up somewhere in Russia with his dear father, before the latter is declared an enemy of the state and arrested. Anton is in love with his Spanish neighbor Lucia, a beautiful and mysterious girl, who just by being there brightens up his days.

In the story titled The Runic Alphabet we watch a man as he goes through a long stretch of grief over the de
Justyna Ezzahir