Start by marking “Ruin” as Want to Read:
Ruin

Ruin

3.51  ·  Rating details ·  67 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Thirty years ago, there was a revolution.

Humans were granted powers through experiments performed upon them against their will. They broke free from the Labs and burned across the land, creating a dangerous new territory called the Wildlands.

Paula has grown up in the Neutral Territory, never knowing a time without the neighboring Wildlands as a threat. Her government does
Published October 2011 (first published August 11th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Ruin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ruin

Aug 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ruin is a terrifying and savage world where Paula, the Neutral daughter of an activist spy, has been exiled from the only life she knows. Now her only options are to adapt - and fast - or instead perish. The people here are ruthless and powerful, and Paula doesn't even know if she can trust her own family. She'll discover who she can trust, as well as who she can't, and she'll try to reinvent herself because going back is not an option, and going forward is the only way she'll ever survive.

With
ala
Nov 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mediocre, indie, dystopian, ya
I feel a little bad about being harsh on a book like this because in general I root for Indie authors. This was a completely ordinary, averagely mediocre YA book set in a dystopian universe. I think it could compete solidly with similar works in the genre such as Blood Red Road. Indeed, if you enjoyed that one, I encourage you not to be put off by my review because you'll probably like Ruin as well.

That being said, I didn't think this was a great book. I had a hard time connecting with Paula, th
Rachel
Aug 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ruin is a wonderful story for many reasons. One thing I love about it is that the world in which it takes place feels fully formed and so large--it has its own history and mythology. The story is mostly told in first person, from the viewpoint of Paula--the person who probably knows the least about what is really going on. As a result, the reader learns two versions of the history of the conflicts between the Neutrals and the Wildlanders all at once--the half-truths and lies that Paula learned i ...more
N.M. Martinez
Aug 15, 2011 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I'm not going to rate my own book.

This book is in a hard spot for me to place. I borrow elements from science fiction (people being experimented on) and fantasy (people with powers, an almost feudal system) and literature (coming of age story, a story about how people interact with one another in this strange situation), but it isn't one of any of those elements. To someone looking for fantasy, it probably won't suit the bill and like-wise for someone looking for science fiction. And anyone loo
Jennifier
Dec 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I would and have recommended this book to friends and family. It caught my interest from the very first page.
I found myself intrigued by the characters and how their live intertwine, the author payed great attention to even the smallest of details to make each of them different in their own way, which make them seem so real that it's very easy to slip into A world that's both fascinating and impossible to put down.

Thank you Nina for Ruin and The Two Brothers, I look forward to spending more ti
Billy
Nov 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved it from start to finish. The story, and the characters had me from the moment I read the first chapter. Every turn in the book had me wanting to keep reading until that sad moment when I finished the story. Fantastic(:
Nicole
Jul 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
EDIT: 1/8/18

Dropping the review to 3.5 Stars (rounded up to 4). While I still love the story and would place it above a lot of YA/YA-esque novels (both traditionally and self-pubbed) I've read, time and a more critical eye have made me see some of the flaws I had glossed over previously. I enjoyed the information about the world and its inhabitants, but the plot itself dragged quite a bit until the very end where it picked up (jarringly, might I add). I also feel like unnecessary time was given
Sorcha
Jun 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Um I don't really understand the pacing of this book. It seems like we are getting lead somewhere in the beginning of the story, but then once Paula gets to the village area where he family is staying a whole lot of nothing happens for a good portion of the book. There's a lot of fear and time for her to think. Then out of nowhere in the last part of the book there's suddenly a romance developing and a rescue mission that we receive no real lead up to. I don't know who these characters are and w ...more
Meghan
Feb 15, 2013 rated it liked it
I liked it, but it was really short. The price was right. A lot of inner monologue'ing as the chicka barely speaks to anyone. The mousy lead character kinda made the book more original than a lot of others out there. We American gals have a lot of sassitude and that is reflected in most of the YA female narrated books. So this was different. She had almost zero sassitude and was stuck in freaking out, scared poohless land most of the book.
Colleen Kronman
Jan 24, 2012 rated it liked it
It was an okay read and if I were a teen, I guess I would have enjoyed it. But the author left an awful lot unsaid about circumstance and environment and just how many times and in how many adjectives can one describe their main character as being "afraid?" no depth to any of the characters was added-I kept reading and kept hoping, but nada..
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Shining in Crimson (Empire of Blood, #1)
  • OTOLI
  • Predators of Darkness: Aftermath: Book One of the Darkness Series
  • The Advice Girl (Dalara, #1)
  • Perception (Tigers' Eye, #1)
  • The Edge of Darkness
  • Bones of the Fair (Darest, #2)
  • Prismatic (Harmony Run #1)
  • Dust
  • Rapture (Rapture Trilogy, #1)
  • Soul Sisters (Soul Sisters, #1)
  • Noir, City Shrouded By Darkness (Shades of Gray #1)
  • Into the Vast
  • The Catalyst (Preternaturals, #3)
  • Veiled Conspiracy
  • Kingdom (Tiber City, #1)
  • The Nexus (The Nexus, #1)
  • Phantom Universe (Summer Chronicles, #1)
N.M. Martinez lives with her boyfriend and their two cats in Monterey Bay. She harbors a not so secret crush on Isaac Asimov, loves comic books, and enjoys playing old video school games.

If you'd like to be notified of new releases, please feel free to sign up here with your email address. An email will only be sent out when a new book or story is published.
More about N.M. Martinez...