Start by marking “Love Poems from God: Twelve Sacred Voices from the East and West” as Want to Read:
Love Poems from God: Twelve Sacred Voices from the East and West

Love Poems from God: Twelve Sacred Voices from the East and West

Sacred poetry from twelve mystics and saints, rendered brilliantly by Daniel Ladinsky, beloved interpreter of verses by the fourteenth-century Persian poet Hafiz

In this luminous collection, Daniel Ladinskybest known for his gifted and bestselling interpretations of the great Sufi poet Hafizbrings together the timeless work of twelve of the world's finest spiritual write
Published September 24th 2002 by Penguin Books (first published April 30th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Love Poems from God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Poems from God

Jennifer Kristin Taheri
May 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I'm not much of a reader of religious poetry unless you count Rumi or Hafiz. But, my boss gave me this book ages ago, and I was enchanted from the beginning.

Little trinkets from Rumi, Hafiz, Mira, Rabia, and Tukaram. Endless pages are dogeared and marked and starred and highlighted - I've read this book a hundred times.... each time I love it more.

I love this one by Tukaram:

"I think the moon
this
time"
Megan
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I like to read this book in the morning, before I start my day. It's so inspiring.

That is all.

Sally
Apr 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who love God
This beautiful book came my way recently. What a wondrous new opportunity to listen in on these twelve voices in their interactions with God. So far I have been listening to Rabia of Basra (c. 717-801), a much revered Islamic saint who was sold into slavery at a young age and forced live and work in a brothel until she was finally freed at age 50.

It is possible to see traces of this history in many of her writings, which speak of living with beauty and dignity in the midst of the strange places
Khashayar Mohammadi
Apr 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, anthology
I think what bothered me most about this book wasn't really its content but mainly its spacial editing. There was something really unsettling about how the last word of some poems was written
l
i
k
e

t
h
i
s.

All technical complaints aside, I didn't really enjoy most of the poems. Its a good read for a lazy afternoon but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
A
Jul 15, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
the absolute best thing about this book is the variety. how each of these mystics can talk along the same lines about God. i love that this isn't the normal white/black view of God. they speak of God who comes to them in the night and cures their loneliness. who nestles them against His breast and loves them. they speak of a God that so many people don't get to experience. the title threw me for a bit...after reading the book, highlighting and filling the margins with my thoughts like mad, i sat ...more
♥ Ibrahim ♥
Mar 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: spirituality
It is always good to have love poems of God in every flavor possible. However, one poem made me wonder… He claims that Rabia Basri says:

Perhaps the name they call God is
not really His, may be
is just an alias.

Well, no Muslim, including Sufi Muslims, would be in such quandary to call God God, that is, Allah. Yes, they do acknowledge God's incomprehensibility but they still know that God is Allah and there is no question about this Allah who is past all understanding.

I wonder, just wonder, if th
Linda
Jan 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book is like a wonderful friend. You can curl up in your chair on a rainy day and fall in love over and over.
Tandava Brahmachari
Nov 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
It's beautiful to have 12 great mystics from different countries and times all singing together under one roof, as it were. This book is a very enjoyable way to spend time loving God with the saints.

One thing to be aware of, though, is that these are very much Ladinsky's adaptations of the poems, not just translations. So there's a certain sameness to the style of poetry throughout, even though the original authors are so different. On the one hand, this can be a nice allegorical way of remindi
Matthew Hunter
Dec 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Comparative religion, spirituality and mysticism are passions of mine. I find that, in the various traditions of Eastern and Western mysticism, dogmatic differences disappear, leaving an ecstatic, beautiful love for God/spirit, humanity, and non-human animals. These mystics paint a picture of a world filled with compassion and love, a world I hope to be a bit part of making real.

Love Poems from God offers selections of poetry from East and West. Hafiz, St. Teresa of Avila, Kabir, St. Francis of
Sarrah
Jan 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, religion
To enjoy Love Poems from God: Twelve Sacred Voices from the East and West, you have to understand that Daniel Ladinsky is interpreting, not translating. The verse itself is enlightening--oh, the ego, the sensuality of these poets!--and transcendent; but Ladinsky is not shy about throwing in a modern metaphor or twenty, and his repetitive use of certain endearments and phrases makes it obvious that we are reading one voice, not twelve. The variety of mystics is fantastic, and it really drives hom ...more
Meghan
Apr 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
My favorite poem in this book:

"God and I are like two fat people in a tiny boat...we keep bumping into each other and laughing"

This is a fantastic book of people from every walk of life and religion writing about their experiences with a higher power.
LB
Jun 26, 2007 added it
Shelves: poetry
Haven't finished this one yet, but I love what I have read so far. Similar to I Heard God Laughing (they were edited and I think translated by the same guy). Seeing God through the eyes of these mystics fills me with something I can't put to words. It's something like hearing the echo of my own heart. A deep recognition, beyond personal experience (does that make sense?). Oh well, I said it couldn't be put into words. See for yourself...
Jonathan Bluey
Mar 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Keep finding this again and again so alive and warm and terrifying to see God in so many different ages perspectives and cultures
Claire Hoipkemier
Jun 29, 2009 rated it liked it
came to me burried under the st. francis statue at the grotto.
Molly Bosscher
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant. Lovely. Hopeful. I've read them slowly over the last year and given the book away four different times. I think this is a book that all my friends should own.
Aaron West
Dec 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
There are two sides to every book. This collected work of poems is no exception. Gathering together texts from twelve religious figures from several religions, this collection encompasses a vast array of beliefs and views of God in an almost universalist--and at times--overly artsy manner.

What I appreciated: several of these poems allowed me to view God in more diverse and real ways than I have before. Some are simple and profound; some are seemingly more short stories than poems. But they all
Rosemary Clark
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An enchanting assortment of three hundred verses and meditations comprise this work, offering the reader a lyrical excursion through the realm of sacred poetry. Free of doctrine and infused with inspiration, the collection profiles the writings of twelve mystics and saints from both eastern and western spiritual traditions.
Each chapter introduces one of the original authors with a synopsis of his or her life along with author Ladinsky’s insights on the distinctive shades of metaphysical feeling
SaraJane
Feb 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Rabia - pg. 9 "The sky gave me its heart because it knew mine was not large enough to care for the earth the way it did. .... the cure for me was His Beauty, the remedy - for me was to love."

pg. 48 "Such love does the sky now pour, that whenever I stand in a field, I have to wring out the light when I get home."

St. Francis of Assisi - pg. 52 "It is easy to love God in all that was beautiful. The lessons of deeper knowledge, though, instructed me to embrace God in all things."

Meister Eckhart - p
Hannah
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned
The editorial voice bled through each of the very different authors in a way that made the poems less impactful. Ladinsky’s frequently obvious omissions and additions turned what were likely beautiful, intimate insights into and encounters with the divine into unspecific, New Age-y, spiritual nonsense. The structure of the poems is lovely, but if you’re looking for any real depth or insight into the heart of God for his creation, I’d definitely recommend reading Ladinsky’s source material first.
Dawn
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This has been and still is my go to book when I need a thought or poem to lift my spirit. There are several poems that I reread frequently and others that I read when I am searching. I’ve gifted friends with this book over the years and I’m certain I will continue to do so. There are many religious traditions included in this compilation of poetry, some of which I wasn’t familiar with and that have now become old friends.
Sharyn Campbell
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Sharyn by: Cynthia Schmitz
I read one summary of each poet, and the accompanying poems, each day. I loved that both male and female poets were represented, from around the world. My favorite was St. Teresa of Avila, although I flagged at least one work from each poet. I borrowed this book, but I think I will buy my own copy.
Renee
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book simultaneously engaged my sense of humor, my soul, and my curiosity about each poet. Although I am not aligned with most of their spiritual ideologies, the poems lifted my spirit up and helped me to feel more connected to the spiritual world. I enjoyed it very much and read a few poems each evening.
Robert Eugene
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Simply extraordinary. The translator brings these poems to life, great selection great balance of East and West. And who know that crusty old theologian Thomas Aquinas had the heart of a poet? I have been reading and rereading these for years.
Amy
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't read many religious texts nor any poetry which I can't stand to read, but to be enlightened by these poems was wonderful. Anyone from any religion should be able to read these and feel at peace with the world.
Eileen
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, spirituality
© 2002. An engaging, arresting collection of poems by the world's mystics including Rabi'a, Francis of Assisi, Rumi, Thomas Aquinas, Hafiz, Kabir, Mira Bai, and others. A rich feast of poetry to be savored slowly.
David Reeves
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ok, I am not finished but I don’t just read through poetry front to back. I love this collection of poems. Theologically adoring, rich in meaning, expressive of humanity regardless of the authors faith background.
Judy Lindow
Sep 24, 2018 marked it as to-read
The poem, When I Was The Forest, by Meister Eckhart - the poet, Rabia of Basra - and the poem "Where Am I Going" by Rumi: Where am I going on this glorious journey? To your house, of course. Already enjoying this book every time I open it!
Nicole Chu
Sep 18, 2018 rated it liked it
I took my time with this one — almost a full year! Lovely poetry translations. I liked them overall, with a few favorites that will stick with me.
NIGEL PEARCE
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2019
An excellent capturing of voices from the East and West that will just simply capture your heart!
Mimsy
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
A beautiful collection of poems to come back to time and time again.

• The Subject Tonight Is Love: 60 Wild and Sweet Poems of Hafiz
  • The Soul Is Here For Its Own Joy: Sacred Poems from Many Cultures
  • Words Under the Words: Selected Poems
  • Rilke's Book of Hours: Love Poems to God
  • Ten Poems to Set You Free
  • Cries of the Spirit: More Than 300 Poems in Celebration of Women's Spirituality
  • The Collected Poems, 1957-1982
  • Radical Reinvention: An Unlikely Return to the Catholic Church
  • Americans' Favorite Poems: The Favorite Poem Project Anthology
  • Centering Prayer and Inner Awakening
  • The Hand of Poetry: Five Mystic Poets of Persia: Translations from the Poems of Sanai, Attar, Rumi, Saadi and Hafiz
  • Open Closed Open
  • Thirst
“BIRDS DON’T BRAG ABOUT FLYING Birds don’t brag about flying the way we do. They don’t write books about it and then give workshops, they don’t take on disciples and spoil their own air time. Who could dance and achieve liftoff with a bunch of whackos tugging on you?” 4 likes
“My Lord told me a joke. And seeing Him laugh has done more for me than any scripture I will ever read.” 3 likes