Start by marking “The Wheel of Time: The Shamans of Mexico Their Thoughts About Life Death & the Universe” as Want to Read:

(The Teachings of Don Juan #11)

World-renowned bestselling author Carlos Castaneda's Selection of his wrtings on the shamans of ancient Mexico.

Originally drawn to Yaqui Indian spiritual leader don Juan Matus for his knowledge of mind-altering plants, bestselling author Carlos Castaneda soon immersed himself in the sorcerer’s magical world entirely. Ten years after his first encounter with the
paper, 304 pages
Published January 1st 2001 by Washington Square Press (first published June 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Wheel of Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wheel of Time

Start your review of The Wheel of Time: The Shamans of Mexico Their Thoughts About Life Death & the Universe
David
A friend of mine has been telling me about soul journeying and I was looking for a book that had some incite into shamanism. This book contains cryptic but very quotable and intriguing snippets of wisdom. Carlos Castaneda learned them throughout his life from his own journeys guided by Don Juan Marquis and Florinda Matus. As someone who has never read anything by Carlos Castaneda this was not a good place to start- it is filled with the outcomes but missing the story so it is hard to absorb. It ...more
Alissa Ruppert
Aug 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book is full of quotes from the books he previously wrote.

Some quotes that really made me think are...

“If his spirit is distorted he should simply fix it—purge it, make it perfect—because there is no other task in our entire lives which is more worthwhile…To seek the perfection of the warrior’s spirit is the only task worthy of our temporariness, our manhood.”

But, what is perfect? What is worthwhile? These are all just words... how can we truly express wh
WhatIReallyRead
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I had this book lying for a while. Finally, I picked it up and realized, that it's like book 11 of a series)) It's sort of a review of all the previous books, as far as I understand.

Half of the stuff I didn't quite get, but the rest seemed really profound. Anyway, I liked it enough to decide to read Castaneda's works from the beginning.
Cat
Jan 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My friend suggested reading him. there's some interesting quotes. I really liked one that said to be angry at someone you first have to consider that person important. lots of other insites and shaman quotes. overall the book was probably a little to new agey for me but I may read another of his works.
Cheryl
Personally I have no concern with whether these books are fiction or non-fiction, I found them to be good friends. Some very enjoyable tricks learned in the choices I makes when interacting with my environment.
Terry
Nov 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: philosophy
Many years ago I enjoyed Castaneda's Don Juan and I was interested in how I would now find the author's later works. This is a book of quotes from his earlier works and there are some very good ones, especially the role death plays while contemplating life. Basically, Castenada's mentor has led him through a path that initially made use of psychotropic plants and later showed that drugs are not necessary to understand that time is a useful illusion and that detachment is on the road to enlighten ...more
David
Dec 09, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: purged-books
I was first introduced to Castaneda’s work two years ago, when my dad found two books for me to read from his college days - The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge and A Separate Reality. Rarely does my father actually pick up a book, so I knew this one was going to be pretty good. The first of Castaneda’s twelve-book series, The Teachings of Don Juan, dragged me into his narrative quickly. I recommend it to everyone I know, and have both of my personal copies circulating through my ...more
Fernando
May 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Not your usual book. What you will find in this book are numerous quotations from all of Castaneda's most common books. This is his last book which is intended to summarize his shamanisms teachings.
He teaches the difference between a regular person and a warrior. He describes their similarities in thinking but at the same time the difference of their cognition. This teachings can most definitely be related to our modern spiritualism shown today, but in differenet perspective. Carlos Castaneda's
Roger
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
The book cleverly says you can not possibly explain the teachings of the shamans without sounding like a fool, so I won't bother. I will say: I started reading it right after my father passed away, and I appreciate how it put me into a different state of being than I would have otherwise, without foolishly ignoring the situation entirely.
Lisa
Aug 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Collection of quotes and commentaries by Castaneda about his apprenticeship with shaman don Juan Matus. Fascinating and enlightening, a highly recommended read, especially to those who appreciate books about culture/spirituality.
CD
Jun 18, 2011 rated it liked it
I distinctly remember purchasing this one while traveling (not tripping please note!) in Missouri. It was marked down and I read most of it one week while at a trade show.

[ June 2011

Another box of books has been reopened for cleaning, sorting, and reevaluation and lo and behold, many of the collected works of Carlos Castaneda are part of the contents.

Many years have gone but I remember this author and his works vividly. [Now don't get any ideas as to an allus
Tine!
Jul 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excuse me, I'll be in Mexico if you need me...the ancient intent-database of Mexican shamans outside of time, though, if ya know what I mean!! (I'll be right here.)

I have only read Castaneda's very first published work on his interactions with don Juan Matus ("A Yacqui Way of Knowledge"), but this extremely distilled compilation of ideas from the entire opus gives me a great idea of what I should encounter if I continue to pore through the Teachings of Don Juan series. Powerful stuff
Derabette
Dec 25, 2013 rated it liked it
The book includes some very interesting points of view that are worth considering. But it is VERY difficult to understand and to "swallow" as it icludes quotes from Carlos Castañeda's different works. I recommend it to everyone who is interested in spirituality but don't start with this one if you are at the beginning of your "mental journey".
Luke
Jan 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing

Basically a collection of quotations from Castaneda's preceding books. Perfect for picking up and opening to a random page, and though it definitely helps to have read the actual books the quotations are taken from, I feel like the thoughts are universal and basic enough in their language to offer plenty to someone unfamiliar with his work.

Bryon Medina
Jan 14, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Serious Casteneda readers.
This book is a collection of quotes from Don Juan, culled from Carlos Castanedas' first eight books. There is some powerful stuff in this book, so it's worth having around, but the quotes take on much more meaning in the context of the stories they came from. If you like this book, read the Teachings of Don Juan and work back from there.
Argawal
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: spiritual, fiction
I didn't like it. it's my first Carlos Castaneda book and I've heard good things about him. sadly I can't agree. maybe I chose the wrong book to read from him. book is full of quotes from his other books which I expected was going to motivate me to read more about him but it made the opposite effect
Justin
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spirituality
I have mixed feelings on this collection of Castaneda quotes. On the one hand I love the format and the knowledge contained in this book. On the other hand, I think the context provided in the original books from where these quotes were copied added a good deal and is sorely missed here
Darshan
Jul 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This embodies the Essence or "cores" of the Energy Transmission (Shaktipat) of the Masters of Ancient Mexico. This type of Knowledge is indespensible, preparing and empowering one for the unavoidable encounter with the "unknown"...
Robert Barton
Feb 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Neat book, but have to read the others for context.
Sean Quinn
Jan 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Quotes gathered from each of the books Castaneda has written. Some condensed wisdom for the masses...
Tony
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is a timely reminder of the wisdom that Don Juan conveyed to his pupil, Carlos Castaneda, and how it applies to life and living
Russ
Jan 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Over the years I have read every book.
This book is a collection of the general knowledge and philosophy of the first 6 books. I read it once a year.
Mahjepe
Jan 27, 2016 rated it did not like it
Micmoc
Jun 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those who are searching a Churchless spirituality
A book I would like my son could read when he is 18 years old.
Ian
Nov 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: philosophy
I was introduced to Carlos Casteneda by a friend. This book is a book of quotes, arising from Castaneda's time spent with the Mexican Shaman's. I found it an enjoyable read.
Tom Mueller
Quotes from the teachings of Shamans. Their lives are based on an alternate cognitive reality that can barely be perceived by denizens of Western Culture.
Shamana Ali
Sep 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
While a quick read, these Shamanic quotes were grounded in gendered perspective which I find alienating. They seemed to be a collection of 'shoulds' and included a fear of death. Not recommended.
William
Aug 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
The author repackages the essential points from his previous books.
sharad
Aug 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Gwen Zimmerman
A brilliant selection of quotations from Castañeda's previous eight books which outline the key concepts of a shaman's path.
Mikhail
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent

• The Sorcerer's Crossing: A Woman's Journey
  • The Way of the Superior Man: A Spiritual Guide to Mastering the Challenges of Women, Work, and Sexual Desire
  • The Strangest Secret
  • Life Ahead: On Learning and the Search for Meaning
  • Spiral Dynamics: Mastering Values, Leadership and Change
  • Myth and Reality
  • Достающее звено. Книга вторая. Люди
  • Secrets of the Great Pyramid: Two Thousand Years of Adventures & Discoveries Surrounding the Mysteries of the Great Pyramid of Cheops
  • The Book of Not Knowing: Exploring the True Nature of Self, Mind, and Consciousness
  • Mumu
  • The Intruders
  • The Descent (Descent, #1)
  • Хрустальный мир
  • Хохот Шамана
  • Зомбификация. Опыт сравнительной антропологии
  • Uncle's Dream
  • День бульдозериста
  • Diary of a Madman
Carlos Castaneda was an American author.
Starting with The Teachings of Don Juan in 1968, Castaneda wrote a series of books that describe his training in shamanism, particularly with a group whose lineage descended from the Toltecs.
The books, narrated in the first person, relate his experiences under the tutelage of a man that Castaneda claimed was a Yaqui "Man of Knowledge" named don Juan M

The Teachings of Don Juan (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge
  • Fire from Within
  • Power of Silence
  • The Art of Dreaming
  • Magical Passes: The Practical Wisdom of the Shamans of Ancient Mexico
“The internal dialogue is what grounds people in the daily world. The world is such and such or so and so, only because we talk to ourselves about its being such and such and so and so. The passageway into the world of shamans opens up after the warrior has learned to shut off his internal dialogue” 46 likes
“The average man is either victorious or defeated and, depending on that, he becomes a persecutor or a victim. These two conditions are prevalent as long as one does not see. Seeing dispels the illusion of victory, or defeat, or suffering.” 6 likes