Start by marking “Keeper of the Lost Cities (Keeper of the Lost Cities, #1)” as Want to Read:
Keeper of the Lost Cities (Keeper of the Lost Cities, #1)

Keeper of the Lost Cities

(Keeper of the Lost Cities #1)

4.46  ·  Rating details ·  27,069 ratings  ·  3,317 reviews
Twelve-year-old Sophie Foster has a secret. She’s a Telepath—someone who hears the thoughts of everyone around her. It’s a talent she’s never known how to explain.

Everything changes the day she meets Fitz, a mysterious boy who appears out of nowhere and also reads minds. She discovers there’s a place she does belong, and that staying with her family will place her in grave
Published October 2nd 2012 by Aladdin

To ask other readers questions about Keeper of the Lost Cities, please sign up.
Sydney I'm on team Keefoster. I just can't get over how horrible Fitz acted toward Sophie in Exile to want Fitzfie, and Dex is better at being a friend than …moreI'm on team Keefoster. I just can't get over how horrible Fitz acted toward Sophie in Exile to want Fitzfie, and Dex is better at being a friend than a romantic partner. Keefe is funny, kind, and respectful toward Sophie throughout the series, which makes him best suited for being her boyfriend.(less)
Brittany Quarters This book is great. I'm fifteen, and I read it with an open mind. I didn't focus on the writing or the characters, I read it just to have fun.
I own al…more
I own all of them so far and have loaned them to all my friends, who also loved them.

And, keep in mind, this is a book written for middle graders. Not teens. It wasn't written for people used to YA books with more complex themes.

This is a book to laugh at and have fun with, I highly recommend it.

And don't be a Rotten Egg, it wasn't for us older readers anyway. :)

Who recommended it to you? Do they own the book? If so, you could just ask to borrow it or look at it. And, you can start reading the beginning on Amazon.
I hope you do read it. :)(less)

·  27,069 ratings  ·  3,317 reviews

Start your review of Keeper of the Lost Cities (Keeper of the Lost Cities, #1)
Shannon Messenger
Oct 10, 2011 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Okay, I may be biased here. But I think it's pretty darn awesome. :D *is an incredibly nerdy author*
TheBookSmugglers
Oct 08, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mg, terrible-books
Original review posted on The Book Smugglers

Thea’s Take:

There are two ends of the CG animated movie spectrum. On the one side, there are gems like Wall-E and Up and Toy Story. On the other, there are the lamentable films like Fly Me to the Moon, or Robots, or Shark Tale. Granted, many kids like all of these films and there is some entertainment value to find in each of them – but there’s a huge difference in storytelling skill and in quality.

Unfortunately, Keeper of the Lost Cities falls deep on
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ✺❂❤❣
🌟Ridiculously good! I love it. And I imagine I would have been even more head-over-the-heels, had I gotten this one to read as a kid. Still, even for an adult, this is an immensely entertaining read. Complete with a new world, tidy loose endings wrapped up, likable protagonists, Harry-Potteresque schools... And Telepaths, Mesmers, Inflicters, Washers, Descryers, Atlantis, Exilium, Eternalia, Foxfire, prodigies, talent-based nobility, Dames and Sirs, society that had no death (almost!), Slurps an ...more
Riley Edgewood
ALL KINDS OF AWESOME. Seriously am in love with this book/series and its characters.

KEEPER OF THE LOST CITIES is a fantasy mystery of epic proportions--and it's captivating from page one.

While it's perfectly fitted for middle grade readers (even reluctant readers will burn through this and beg for more!) I have to be honest and say that I don't read very much middle grade. But I'm 31, and this book is still one of my all-time favorites. The reach of KEEPER OF THE LOST CITIES extends from those
Allison
Jul 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Alright, I will start this off by saying that this book was written by my little sister....and for you to fully understand what this means I must explain a few things to you. Shannon has always been the over achiever in the family, she's younger than me, yet managed to graduate a couple days before me, 4.0 and valedictorian no less! She graduated college, which I never even went to, and she always manages to do things like change the lightbulbs, wear accessories and eyeliner, and bring a jacket ...more
Gillian Berry
Rating: Though I nearly DNFed in the beginning (they're ELVES?! She's HARRY FREAKING POTTER?! THEY'RE ELVES?!?!), ultimately I was charmed by this middle grade fantasy.

The cover: 99% of the reason I wanted this. LOOOOK at it! And at Sophie's oh-so-glorious middle grade hair. Let's pretend I looked like that at age 12.

The story: I came so close to giving up on this one. I thought the beginning was a MESS. Normal-but-not-normal preteen girl suddenly discovers she is part of a magical world she nev
love, tappkalina
4.75 ✰

This is the beautiful beginning of a new obsession. 💖
I just wanted to read a fun middle grade book, but I got something that totally blew my mind. I already orderd the next one when I was only halfway through, but I won't be able to calm down until it arrives!
The characters are everything, although I don't trust anyone except my baby Dex.
And when I say this book has the best found family (with parents), I don't lie. That is my favourite part of the whole story.

description

Buddy read with Rue.
Amy Imogene Reads
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing

This was so good??? I have not had a middle grade suck me in this intensely since my first time reading Harry Potter—as an actual middle grade-aged reader—so I am shook.

World: ★★★★★
Characters: ★★★★★
Pacing: ★★★★
Series potential: ★★★★★

Keeper of the Lost Cities is not your average middle grade read. This is an immersive, well-built, and well-told tale that caters to a middle grade audience mostly due to its 12-year-old protagonist, Sophie Foster. It's not overly simplified. In fact, at times it w
Faith M:)
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
WOW!!! This book was WONDERFUL!!! My favorite read of 2018.

Where to start...

Romance- Sophie did have crushes of boys; mentions of hugging, hand holding... nothing bad at all.

Violence/content- Two of the main characters get kidnapped; lots of magic, feeling severely alone; mentions of being drugged (while kidnapped), etc.

First off- Shannon Messenger is an INCREDIBLE author. I cannot wait to read more of her work.

The world-building in this book is mesmerizing. The details and choice of words
Spencer Orey
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Solid fun and a good take on the middle grade magic school genre (except the elves are adamant that "it's not magic!!"), with some good twists.

It starts a bit frantically but then finds its pace once we get to the school. Then it starts to shine. Great things to study here for aspiring upper middle grade writers (like me), like how to introduce a big cast of characters. There were some rough edges that didn't land with me, but the whole book was compelling. I'm glad it's a long series! Excited t
Lerizza Mae (books&teacups)
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade, fantasy
It's been a while since I've read a good MG book and I'm glad that I've started this one. This could be one of my favorite MG books given time, maybe after I've read the next few books.

What I love about this series is diving on a whole new world of fantasy and adventures. I've been through the world of wizardry, demigods, ghost hunters, fairy tales and the like. And this series is about elves but not like the LOTR ones with pointy ears, great eyesight and hearing, and clearly not the fairy tale
¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪SomeBunny Reads (Phoenix)•*¨*•♫♪
“This is…magic?”

Fitz laughed – a full body laugh, like it was the funniest thing he’d ever heard [...] “No,” he said when he’d regained control. “Magic is a stupid idea humans came up with to try to explain things they couldn’t understand.”

This. Was. So. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!!!

From the first sentence, I knew this book was going to be captivating, fast-paced, marvelous, a whimsical magical adventure!!! We immediately get catapulted into action, and we barely have taken our first breath that we get th
Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー
This was so much fun!

Review to come tonight. I'm so glad I've delved into middle grade fantasy. Sure, Sophie is a bit of a Mary Sue, but the other characters are so wonderful I couldn't stop reading. I just feel that the world building was lacking, but the potential is still there.

Image result for keeper of lost cities fanart
Drewthereader20
This was a really good first book! I didn’t knew what I was expecting going into it because I heard a lot of great things about it and it’s really good!
I started reading this Saturday. And I was going to finish it last night but was too tire to finish!😂
So I finished it today and I will have more thoughts later today when I have time to think about it, instead of writing this at 7am!😂
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
steph
Original review: http://www.poetrytoprose.com/?p=2148

I wish I had read more books like Shannon Messenger’s Keeper of the Lost Cities when I was younger, but I’m so glad to be able to read this now. This book is a winning combination of excellent characters and an exciting adventure, all while also being very heartfelt and touching.

To start off with, Sophie is the best type of main character. She was so interesting (she’s twelve, but in high school...WHAT) and I really enjoyed her journey of self
Rue
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved every part of the story and immediately was intrigued by the plot and each of the characters. (Keefe and Dex are my favourites). All in all its a great book you won't regret it unless it's not in your area of interest.

🥀Plot
Keeper of the Lost Cities is about a girl named Sophie Foster who can hear people’s thoughts. It’s something that’s constant, and she can’t stop it. One day on a field trip, she finds out why. She meets a boy named Fitz, who can read minds like her. The truth is, Sophi
Romie
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was honestly so good? I can't understand why I dnfed it the first time I tried to read it in 2017. It was just really good. I loved the magic, I loved the world, I love that we had time to get attached to Sophie and her friends, I loved the mystery and trying to find the answers. Such a good book. (4.5)
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
This book has fluctuated the most out of all my reads. Originally, I loved it. But thinking back.

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
Maggie
I loved this story 😍
I couldn't put it down, great characters, world and plot.
I have to say I haven't met a character that could get into so much trouble as this one. No dull moment in this book lol.
Going to start the second book right now 😊
BrooKe
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks
3.7/5 | It's like The School for Good and Evil, but better.

Actually, it's The School for Good and Evil with some Harry Potter thrown in along with a bit of Narnia and sprinkled with elements of Percy Jackson. And you have it. But, for real, it reminded me so much of TSfGaE; it was everything good about that series and more.

It's also worth mentioning how drop dead gorgeous every single cover in this series is. It's actually shocking.

P L O T

I was afraid at the beginning because the pacing was shit
Sophie Foster hit her head when she was five years old, and ever since, she's been able to hear other people's thoughts. She also has academic skills far beyond her years - she's twelve now, already in twelfth grade and with an invitation to attend Yale next year.

Being a child prodigy has made Sophie's life miserable. She doesn't understand her gifts and can't put them to a useful purpose. Her older classmates resent her. And the constant feed of others' thoughts threaten to drive her mad.

In th
R.F. Gammon
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pure guilty pleasure but lots of fun.
Dana Salman
Oh my God... I bought the boxset of this series.... how could I have done this??
Ugh... I mean it's not like I haven't done this before. I bought the City Trilogy by Darren Shan all at once for around the same price and I ended up hating those books too. But at least with the first book of the City Trilogy I could see the promise in the series and could enjoy the unique vibes it gave.

With this though... I really can't see any promise for this series. At all. It just failed on every level. I just
Abby ~Sign Please~
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars
I LOVE IT!!!!!!! It's now my #1 favourite book!!!!! Shannon Messenger did an outstanding job writing this novel. I could picture the characters so vividly, it was like I was watching a movie!

I WANT TO READ THE NEXT BOOK SO BADLY!!!!!!!!
Franz
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, cute
For me, this was my Harry Potter growing up. When I was at least eight I listened to the audiobook and since I was eight and dumb I didn't think there would be a second book. I read this again when I was ten and wow................ This was so good. I pulled me out of the Percy Jackson book hangover. This was so good, but Fitz. My dude, you need to stop being such a prick. I'm debating Sophie's taste.
Connor
Dec 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
I had some problems with this book for sure, however there were some things I really liked. I will definitely be continuing because I want to know what will happen, but I hope some of the things that I didn't like are fixed.

ֆɦǟʏռǟ~~ȶɛǟʀɖʀօք  ((I'm in a mood teehee 33))
Super amazing, I was hooked from page 1. The characters pull me in, especially Keefe. Full on adorable.
Camile Souza (This Chamber of Books)
I've basically decided to give this book a shot because Regan from PeruseProject recommends this series all the time. Plus if the words "magic school" come out of your mouth, then you can definitely count me in.

I loved this book yaaay! Like Regan had said, the beginning is very rushed and kind of superficial considering Sophie had to leave everything behind all of a sudden (which is the reason this is not getting 5 stars). It's as if the author was like "yo, not time to waste let's get to th
Serethiel ☽ ✨
5 stars

// k e e p e r . o f . t h e . l o s t . c i t i e s

+ a little bit of a slow beginning but I LOVE KOTLC ANYWAY
+ basically Percy Jackson meets Harry Potter meets Lord of the Rings
+ Sophie is presh
+ I SHIP Sophie + Fitz
+ BUT I also ship Sophie + Keefe??
+ gaaaaah HOW DO I CHOOSE????
+ Iggy = ADORABLE little bat imp thing
+ I NEED Exile!!!!
Troy_Reads
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is probably the 6th of 7th time I've read this book, and I still love it so much!!!
Fitz or Keefe 1187 680 Jun 25, 2020 07:41PM
Clean YA novels: Keeper of the Lost Cities 6 20 Jun 18, 2020 09:37AM
Sophie's Ships 39 113 Jun 08, 2020 04:34PM
Complaints, Concerns, and Questions 8 19 Mar 26, 2020 02:27PM

• The Land of Stories Collection 4 Book Set (The Land of Stories, #1-4)
  • The Unwanteds (Unwanteds, #1)
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
  • The Flame of Olympus  (Pegasus, #1)
  • The Mark of Athena Excerpt
  • Winterling (Winterling, #1)
  • The School for Good and Evil (The School for Good and Evil, #1)
  • Story Thieves (Story Thieves #1)
  • A Grimm Warning (The Land of Stories, #3)
  • The Enchantress Returns (The Land of Stories, #2)
  • Beyond the Kingdoms (The Land of Stories, #4)
  • Island of Silence (Unwanteds, #2)
  • An Author's Odyssey (The Land of Stories, #5)
  • Worlds Collide (The Land of Stories, #6)
  • Island of Fire  (Unwanteds, #3)
  • Island of Legends (Unwanteds, #4)
  • A Tale of Magic... (A Tale of Magic, #1)
  • A Crystal of Time (The School for Good and Evil: The Camelot Years, #2)
Hi! I'm the NYT and USA today bestselling author of the KEEPER OF THE LOST CITIES series and the SKY FALL series! And yes, I DO accept friend requests here--BUT! Please note: I *never* check my private messages here, so if you send me one, you won't get a reply. My real contact information is on my website: shannonmessenger.com

Keeper of the Lost Cities (9 books)
  • Exile (Keeper of the Lost Cities, #2)
  • Everblaze (Keeper of the Lost Cities, #3)
  • Neverseen (Keeper of the Lost Cities, #4)
  • Lodestar (Keeper of the Lost Cities, #5)
  • Nightfall (Keeper of the Lost Cities #6)
  • Flashback (Keeper of the Lost Cities, #7)
  • Legacy (Keeper of the Lost Cities #8)
  • Untitled (Keeper of Lost Cities, #9)

News & Interviews

“I would rather be punished for making the right decision than live with the guilt of making the wrong one for the rest of my life.” 91 likes
“Fitz pulled her forward, and the warm tingling in her hand shot through her body--like a million feathers swelling underneath her skin, tickling her from the inside out.” 73 likes