Start by marking “Journey to Ixtlan” as Want to Read:
Journey to Ixtlan

Journey to Ixtlan

(The Teachings of Don Juan #3)

In Journey to Ixtlan, Carlos Castaneda introduces readers to this new approach for the first time and explores, as he comes to experience it himself, his own final voyage into the teachings of don Juan, sharing with us what it is like to truly “stop the world” and perceive reality on his own terms.

Originally drawn to Yaqui Indian spiritual leader don Juan Matus for his kno
Published February 1st 1991 by Washington Square Press (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Journey to Ixtlan, please sign up.
Russell nope this is the best of all of them and he includes a lot of necessary background information as he tells the story, but I do often suggest to read t…morenope this is the best of all of them and he includes a lot of necessary background information as he tells the story, but I do often suggest to read the first to before, but if your not gonna read all three just read this one(less)
The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-ExupéryDune by Frank HerbertThe Horse and His Boy by C.S. LewisThe English Patient by Michael OndaatjeDesert Solitaire by Edward Abbey
The Desert
410 books — 72 voters
The Alchemist by Paulo CoelhoThe Power of Now by Eckhart TolleA New Earth by Eckhart TolleSiddhartha by Hermann HesseThe Prophet by Kahlil Gibran
Best Spiritual Books
1,201 books — 1,191 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Journey to Ixtlan
Ahmad Sharabiani
Nov 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Journey to Ixtlan (The Teachings of Don Juan #3), Carlos Castaneda

Journey to Ixtlan is the third book by Carlos Castaneda, published as a work of non-fiction by Simon & Schuster in 1972. It is about an alleged apprenticeship to the Yaqui "shaman," Don Juan.

The title of this book is taken from an allegory that is recounted to Castaneda by his "benefactor" who is known to Carlos as Don Genaro (Genaro Flores), a close friend of his teacher don Juan Matus.

Ixtlan turns out to be a metaphorical hometo
Joseph Pfeffer
Nov 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Forty years on, what are we to think of Carlos Castaneda? The Don Juan series, of which Journey to Ixtlan is the central volume, were initially acclaimed as a breakthrough in anthropological field research. Castaneda, as the researcher, placed himself at the center of his book, writing it from the point of view of his own reactions rather than laying out an ethnography. Journey to Ixtlan became his UCLA doctoral dissertation, and was the most noted book of the series because in it Carlos turns a ...more
Lauren
Jul 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone interested in more than just surface reality
This is the first in a series of books which Castaneda wrote after he realized that his prior emphasis on psychotropic drugs was a misleading and "erroneous" means of conveying the lessons he gained from his apprenticeship with don Juan.

I began reading with few expectations and progressed with delight at how engrossed I became. I felt and absorbed don Juan's teachings in a very heavy way. I also found myself laughing out loud at various times throughout this book. This for me is always a good si
Erik Graff
Apr 30, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: psychonauts
Recommended to Erik by: Michael Miley
Shelves: psychology
This is the third volume of the trilogy including 'The Teachings of Don Juan' and 'A Separate Reality'. I read all three, one after the other, while working at the Chicago Women's Athletic Club during the summer between college and seminary.

Although it appears to be the case that Castaneda, the author, fabricated some of the material appearing in his accounts, including that of his doctoral dissertation which begins the series, it also appears to be the case that he knows a good deal about alter
Juliana
Apr 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
"When one does not have a person history," he explained, "nothing that one says can be taken for a lie. Your trouble is that you have to explain everything to everybody, compulsively, and at the same time you want to keep the fresh newness of what you do. Well, since you can't be excited after explaining everything you have done, you lie in order to keep going."

"From now on," he said," you must simply show people whatever you care to show them, but without ever telling exactly how you've done it
Blaine
Aug 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ok, I'm a boomer and I went through my own period of reading and living with Carlos Castaneda, his teacher Don Juan, and their world of indigenous Mexican shamanism. This and its follow-up book Tales of Power changed my life when I read them in my mid-20s... they helped me forge a new identity as an adult, as a warrior with an awareness of personal power, and taught me lessons for a lifetime that are still with me.

If you are open to the teachings in these books, they can truly be powerful and l
Douglas
Jul 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have read all of Castenedas books and this is the one you should start with. The first three books tell the same story, but Ixtlan gets it right and you miss little of importance from the first two books. From Tales of Power on, I give the books five stars. To those who say it's fiction, I say so what? The wisdom and knowledge of Don Juan is a priceless gift to all of us warriors on the path of knowledge and the books are page turners of the first order.
André
Oct 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inspirational
Well, almost 10 years has it been now, since I read this book.

There have been odd discussions about the truthfulness of of Castanedas books, about Don Juan and the experiences Castaneda describes.

In my opinion I don't care wether the stories are bogus or true.
Castaneda describes his journey as an average guy through different spiritual rituals and experiences, as he is taught by Don Juan about the shamanistic view of life.

I was 16, when I read the book and I loved the way Don Juan perceives the
Aaron Dennis
Jul 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Many readers of Carlos Castaneda stop reading after A Yaqui Way of Knowledge. Some read on to A Separate Reality. As I’ve stated before, Castaneda admits later on that his compulsive obsession on non ordinary reality as produced by hallucinogenic plants was the wrong area to fixate, and in Journey to Ixtlan, he recapitulates on many of the notes previously discarded.

It is in this wonderful story that Carlos introduces many concepts, or rather elucidates on many concepts, which Don Juan had intro
Sep 22, 2010 marked it as unfinished
Hm. This is a tough one for me!

A friend of mine, someone I've always admired, recently recommended this book along with several others. I wrote them all down and immediately went to look for them at my local library.

Upon arriving, I discovered that, not only had I forgotten the list of books, I had no idea how to navigate the nonfiction section. For a minute or so, I wandered aimlessly with nothing but the name "Carlos" in my head. I started back towards the doorway but paused, reluctant to leav
Nati S
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: metaphysics
This book was utterly fascinating and eerily bewildering at the same time. There were moments I got a glimpse of profound insights and other moments where I couldn’t follow what was going on. At times the book seemed to flow in a similar way as a strange dream, without the linearity of time. The most profound insight I had while reading was about death and the importance of remembering that it is always accompanying me:

“…You, on the other hand, feel that you are immortal, and the decisions of an
Syl Sabastian
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My favourite of Carlos' books. I came to his works at the tail end of a very long and extensive reading campaign, the purpose of which was to attain *practical* utilisable enhancement of self. I would read with a red pen, underlining what was of value, and could be applied, copying out those underlinings into large notebooks.

When I came to Carlos, my trusty pen worked overtime. Not so much in The Teachings, but went off the charts in A Separate Reality and peaked in Journey to Ixtlan, which to
Mike Spinak
Nov 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Journey to Ixtlan is presented as though it's a factual work, when it is a fictional one. Furthermore, Carlos Castaneda consistently claimed this set of books to be true. That dishonesty, and the consequent inaccuracies added to the body of anthropological work, and to the subject of metaphysics, has to be considered when reviewing Journey to Ixtlan (or Castaenda's other works in the series).

If you are looking for anthropology about Yaqui indians, Toltec shamans, Mexican brujos, etc., then reje
Daniel Stafford
Jun 23, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book moved me. Much rather, I should say, the very last chapter moved me and nearly had me expressing tears.

This is my first book of the Don Juan series of philosophy and shaman ways, but I am told it is the most accessible, which I would agree with so far: the book was very engaging, and did not seem bogged down with philosophy.

Although, I was, as I am sure many readers would be, torn as to how much of this story to believe actually happened. It is classified as a book of nonfiction, and
Chrisl
Nov 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dew01-499, 1970s
Never really connected with Castaneda - however, more than forty years later, I increasingly savor this quote: "One must assume responsibility for being in a weird world: we are in a weird world ... Touch the world sparingly."
***
For vivid images of Yaqui fate seek a copy of the novel about dreaming of centaurs.
Dreams of the Centaur
Eric
Jul 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This third installment really filled in the gaps of the first two books with Don Juan. I really appreciated the fact that he disregarded his original emphasis on the significance of phsychotropic drugs in the teachings of Don Juan and really focused more on the changing of one's consciousness without using drugs.
Mike Bull
Aug 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
I took this book out of the library on a whim, because I like looking at different points of view. This book is published as fact, but many people believe it's fiction. It was written while the author was an anthropology student UCLA in California in the 1970s. He went to study and ended up on a series of strange journeys with don Juan Matus, a sorcerer or shaman, and the student became his apprentice.

The book is full of incomprehensible statements and alternate ways of looking at reality which
Thorne Clark
Mar 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These books are great. They demonstrate what a little character development can do as a pedagogical tool for making metaphysics accessible and light. Don Juan is compelling enough, as are the ideas peppered throughout the books, that it doesn't matter whether he was ever real or not. (Particularly given the primary theme of questioning reality and the "phantoms" that populate it.)

Also, these books are not about peyote or other drugs. One of the most creative things about Castenada is his abilit
Don R Spears
Jun 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this book and expected to get a lot out of it as my first read by Castaneda, but I found I had to force myself to read it in fits and starts and it took me the better part of a month. Just couldn't buy into the whole shamanistic wind/shadows/night are sentient entities, look to the left and ask death world view. I think we all want to believe that ancient primitive cultures have a deep "knowing" that we've all forgotten in our "civilized ways," and tapping into that can be a pro ...more
Patrick
Jul 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone looking for answers to life's little mysteries
Recommended to Patrick by: Friend
This is the second book in the series written by Carlos Castaneda. I started this book in 1983, I was 19 years old, out of high school with no direction. An older friend of mine recommended it to me. I was travelling to Brooklyn, by bus, one hour each way; so I needed a book to pass the time. Castaneda was a graduate student studying Anthropology and was doing his thesis on Mexican Shaman and their use of regional plants and herbs to induce psychotropic effects in an attempt to cure people of va ...more
Ninja
Jan 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If I were Carlos Castaneda I would be don Juan’s successor. I would be the Nagual. I would be with my party of warriors. I would spend my time not-doing. I would practice the magical passes as he taught them to me. I would recapitulate and then I would recapitulate again. I would spend my days and nights in the second attention. I would dream and stalk. I would be making car engines stop dead at my will. I would be weeping with joy every second. I would be awe-struck. I would be a man with no pe ...more
Sam Rosenthal
Apr 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is the Castaneda book that many of my friends say is their favorite. So if you are only planning on reading one, pick this one. You don't need to read the first book, for IXTLAN to make sense.
Layali
Apr 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh my.. what kind of alchemy is this??
It managed to pull me out of myself and be part of something much grander. It’s like someone made it accessible for me to climb up that mythological Greek tree to see things anew.

Common sense isn’t so common. I've stood behind this statement for so long that it is being confirmed in these days. I’ve had my moments where I found myself blinded with a kind of fog that would know how to shroud and hinder me from seeing. It’s as though you yourself were the ro
R.K. Cowles
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 1/4 stars
Iona  Stewart
Apr 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I find all of Castaneda’s books unique, fascinating and engrossing, and this one is no exception,

We are told about how Carlos met Juan Matus in a bus station in Arizona, and that this was the start of a ten-year apprenticeship.

Carlos first learns about the importance of erasing one’s personal history since this makes us free from the encumbering thoughts of other people. One can erase personal history by not revealing what one really does, and by leaving everyone who knows one well. A fog will t
Bob Nichols
It’s a strange book and I can’t say I understand its meaning. One way to read this is as a Tao-like tome – to stop trying to control the world and to fit in as one among the many. Thus “plants and ourselves are even..Neither we nor they are more or less important.” The author-narrator (Castaneda) is frequently chided by Don Juan for his thinking, for his intellectualism, for his attempt to “understand.” On this different perspective, Castaneda thought himself as superior to an Indian, to which D ...more
Cara
Oct 16, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inspiration
I read this book because it had a big influence on my dad.

There were a lot of parts that made a big impression on me, particularly the idea that your death is always just over your left shoulder, available to give you perspective.

p. 34
"'The thing to do when you're impatient,' he proceeded, 'is to turn to your left and ask advice from your death. An immense amount of pettiness is dropped if your death makes a gesture to you, or if you catch a glimpse of it, or if you just have the feeling that
Aaron Meyer
Mar 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
It is books like this that I really enjoy finding. I am not sure why I held off reading Castaneda's works for so long, perhaps I just wasn't at a place to enjoy them, who knows. This is the third book in the series but if you want to know the truth it is the first book that should be read. The previous two were more concerned with hallucinogenic plants and his experiences with them which he thought was the right track for him to write on. When he realized all the real information that he had dis ...more
Sep 15, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Pagans
Shelves: witchynonfiction
I am going to give the same review to all the Carlos Castaneda books I read in that series, simply because they are all outstanding. I was lucky to come across Castaneda very early on my magickal path. My spells and rituals have always relied on the power of intent, and I have found no better education on how to focus your intent than in this series of books. Back then (1994) they were classifed as nonfiction. Lately, they say they are fiction. All I know is much of what is in these books works. ...more
Leo Walsh
Jan 16, 2016 rated it did not like it
This book is a re-telling of the previous Don Juan books. But instead of keeping the mystery intact, Castaneda recasts Don Juan as a sort of New Age Buddhist monk who speaks Spanish and likes drugs. Gone are the cryptic visions an unexplained poetic metaphors. In their place, a hint of Castaneda's future of "cashing in" on the books as a New Age guru.

Worst of the series. For my take on Castaneda as a whole, I invite you to read my review of his he Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge
Goodreads Librari...: please add cover 6 20 Jul 05, 2018 08:35AM

• Jaguar Woman
  • Los amorosos: Cartas a Chepita
  • Willard and His Bowling Trophies
  • The Seeker's Guide: Making Your Life a Spiritual Adventure
  • The Emperor Wears No Clothes: The Authoritative Historical Record of Cannabis and the Conspiracy Against Marijuana
  • Una realidad aparte : nuevas conversaciones con don Juan
  • In Search of the Miraculous: Fragments of an Unknown Teaching
  • Lucid Dreaming: Gateway to the Inner Self
  • True Hallucinations
Carlos Castaneda was an American author.
Starting with The Teachings of Don Juan in 1968, Castaneda wrote a series of books that describe his training in shamanism, particularly with a group whose lineage descended from the Toltecs.
The books, narrated in the first person, relate his experiences under the tutelage of a man that Castaneda claimed was a Yaqui "Man of Knowledge" named don Juan Matus.

The Teachings of Don Juan (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge
  • Fire from Within
  • Power of Silence
  • The Art of Dreaming
  • Magical Passes: The Practical Wisdom of the Shamans of Ancient Mexico
  • The Wheel of Time: The Shamans of Mexico Their Thoughts About Life Death & the Universe

News & Interviews

“In a world where death is the hunter, my friend, there is no time for regrets or doubts. There is only time for decisions.” 255 likes
“We hardly ever realize that we can cut anything out of our lives, anytime, in the blink of an eye.” 209 likes