Start by marking “Gossie & Gertie” as Want to Read:
Gossie & Gertie

Gossie & Gertie

(Gossie and Friends)

Gossie and Gertie are best friends. They splash in the rain, play hide-and-seek, and they dive in the pond together. Everywhere Gossie goes, Gertie does too. Or does she?

With charming illustrations and gentle text, Olivier Dunrea has created two lovable, sweet characters that will appeal to the youngest listeners.
Published August 26th 2002 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Gossie & Gertie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gossie & Gertie

Olivia Slykhuis
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This story is so cute! I love the illustrations, especially how Gossie and Gertie always have their mouths hanging open. Gossie is a bit bossy, and Gertie usually follows her around because they're best friends. One day, Gertie stops following Gossie, and Gossie has to learn to compromise. Really simple, really cute. The only problem with this is that it's a tiny book, physically, so wouldn't be good for storytime. 2+
Tegan
Super cute. Made me think of my dogs.
Pooja Banga
Feb 13, 2019 rated it liked it
I don't know why I am liking it😋
SaraLaLa
Jul 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, to-buy
This is a sequel to the Gossie book which I loved so much. Olivier Dunrea introduces Gertie to us in Gossie and picks up right where she left off. Both goslings are adorable and I can't get enough of these feel good books. :) Even the way that Gossie gets frustrated is so darn cute!
Tosca Wijns-Van Eeden
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: from-my-youth
Superduper cute!!
Meredith
Gossie is a small yellow gosling who wears bright red boots, and Gertie is a small yellow gosling who wears bright blue boots. They are best friends.

In this story, they experience a situation that commonly occurs in friendships: one person always being the leader and the other person finally getting fed up with being constantly bossed around. The remedy, of course, is to take turns being in charge.

This is something to which most young children can relate and a lesson everyone needs to learn. Wh
Helen
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
This is the second book in a series of board books for very young children. My granddaughter (2) really liked the first (Gossie). So in good Nan fashion I went right back and got her this one too. (Gotta encourage her love of reading!)
These are going to be a big hit. The stories and artwork are perfect to immediately get the littles attention. I’m quite taken with them too. Can’t wait for the third in this series!
Kaycee Carl
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute Kids Story

I like this quick short story. It's perfect right before bedtime. The kids enjoy it too. And they enjoy making up some noises for the animals as well.
Kelly
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
One of my favorites in the series.
Rachel
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Simple direct text and illustrations, love the characters and the message about friendship
Samantha
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
All of the Gossie books are great to read to preschoolers! We've been enjoying these during circle time.
Cheriee Weichel
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ada-everett, readers
Ada and I love love love this series.
Megan
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute and simple. Toddler loves it and has it memorized.
Lindsay
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very cute and easy to read!
Hannah
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
A charming children's book that made me fondly think of my best friend.
Kelly
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still one of my favorites in this series.
Athena
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 10e-pb-fiction
We love the Gossie & friends series...want to read every book in the series!
Virginia Greene
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
LOVE THESE BOOKS!!
Beckie
Skye loves this group of geese and loves their little adventures.
Tara Strosnider
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"Gossie & Gertie" by Olivier Dunrea is a story about two playful ducklings named Gossie and Gertie. Goosie and Gertie are best friends. Everything Gossie does, Gertie usually does too. The story begins with the two ducklings happily splashing in the rain. In continuation, they play in the daisies, dive in the pond, and curiously play in the haystacks together. Gertie happily follows Gossie most of the time, but sometimes Gertie prefers not to follow Gossie and decides to play with other anim ...more
Vincent Meyers
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Dinah King
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This series is so charming and my 2 yo loves the colorful illustrations. The stories are silly and sweet without being annoying or wordy. This book in particular is a favorite in the series.
Adrian
Mar 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
3/7/2011:
The first dozen or so times I read this book to you, you had no interest in it whatsoever. Then, recently (around age 21 months), you started pulling it off the shelf and giving it to me. Presently, we are reading 4-9 times per night before bed, and occasionally during the day, if you happen to wander into your room and see it sitting out. Sometimes I bury it under your other books after you fall asleep, on the offchance that I might be spared a night of reading it. It hasn't worked yet
Christina
Sep 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book would be perfect to read to little kids who are just starting to learn how to make friends at school and in the neighborhood. It teaches children that you can have best/good friends but that doesn't mean that you have to do everything together. When Gossie wants to do certain things, he always wanted Gertie to do it with him and vice versa. Gossie and Gertie both learn that they can still be friends but be their own people and enjoy their own things. I would use this at the beginning o ...more
Jill
Apr 27, 2010 rated it it was ok
When followers don't always follow, leaders are apt to get upset. I liked that the leader at first learned to take a turn at following. Everyone is an expert in something and no one is an expert in everything. I loved reading a story to my kids to illustrate they do not always have to do what someone says they should. While I like obedience, I do not like absence of thought and the burying of oneself to appease another. I like that Gossie and Gertie were still friends even after an argument.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Gossie & Gertie are adorable goslings who are best friends. They love to play together and follow each other around the barnyard.

This book was originally published as a small picture book. It was shelved with the board books (at my library), so usually tiny tots and their parents enjoyed these adorable stories. Now they are easy readers! They are great for early reading with wide open illustrations and simple sentences. Huzzah for a new format!

2018 storytime theme: Gossie & Gertie
2019 st
Christina
Nov 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
The series begins with Gossie & Gertie although they do not have to be read in any particular order. They are short, cute and fun books. They do not teach any higher values and morals; they are purely for entertainment. The reason I give them all four stars is because my son loves them so much, he carries them around with him everywhere and I like the art. Anything that encourages my semi-reluctant reader that well deserves a decent rating.
Skye Kilaen
There are quite a few books by Dunrea about Gossie and her friends, and if you like the art style you won't hate the others. But Gossie and Gertie is the one that's a bit more complex and even entertained me. Maybe more than it should have, since I was thinking about what some of the adults in the world could learn from this story! The dynamic between the two ducks is timeless and really funny while being simple enough to enjoy with a young child.
Connie
Aug 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very cute and simple, both in pictures and text. Charming is the best word for the series.

Dunrea has a real gift at drawing emotions on geese. Even a very little child (and these books are just the right pace for babies and toddlers) can figure out what the geese are feeling by looking at the pictures.

And they're realistic, too. I can see an actual child bossing their friend like Gossie - and having a tantrum just like her too.
Apr 15, 2009 rated it liked it
(Beginning Reader)

Gossie rhymes with bossy which is rather apt. I liked that Gossie and Gertie were identifiable by their different colored boots (Gossie wore red and Gertie wore blue) and a slight height difference. This was very cute, easy to read and teaches the lesson that it's okay to follow but it's also okay to do your own thing.
« previous 1 3 next »

• One, Two, Three!
  • Duck & Goose
  • Quiet Loud
  • Chicky Chicky Chook Chook
  • No More Diapers for Ducky!
  • Emily's Balloon
  • Maisy Goes to the Hospital: A Maisy First Experience Book
  • I Can Help
  • Wheels on the Bus
  • Olivia's Opposites
Since his debut in 1983, author and illustrator Olivier Dunrea has created a steady stream of picture books, including concept books, stories of family life—modern and ancient—and stories about artists. Many of Dunrea's picture books testify to his love of animals and his interest in archaeology and folklore of the British Isles, and several—including Ravena, The Trow-Wife's Treasure, and Bear Noe ...more

Gossie and Friends (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Gossie