Start by marking “Eighty Nine” as Want to Read:
Eighty Nine

Eighty Nine

1989: a cusp between decades.

The year the Berlin Wall came down and Voyager went up. Ted Bundy and Emperor Hirohito died. The birth of the first Bush administration and computer virus.

In San Francisco and Newcastle the ground shook, in Chernobyl it melted. Tiananmen Square rocked the world and Tank Man imprinted on the international consciousness. Communism and Thatcherism
Published October 25th 2011 by Literary Mix Tapes

To ask other readers questions about Eighty Nine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eighty Nine

Start your review of Eighty Nine
Zena Shapter
Oct 12, 2011 rated it liked it
1989 was a memorable year for me, for reasons my parents wouldn’t like to remember… It was the year boys first started to notice I was a girl! Looking back, it’s debateable whether this was because my bright red swimming costume really suited me, or because of its associations with Baywatch! Either way, it was a year of cycling down to the beach, balancing a blaring ghettoblaster and enjoying the sunshine… and the attention. What did 1989 mean to you?

One way to find out is to read "Eighty-Nine",
Shelves: books-im-in
Thoroughly enjoyed every story in this amazing anthology from Literary Mix Tapes (eMergent Publishing). From the gently confronting, to the incredibly raw, I don't think I have ever seen the year 1989 in such a light! I am honoured to share the pages of this anthology with my debut story, Soldier Out of Time and look forward to revisiting each of its companion stories - to experience the ride all over again.
Ellie Hall
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing

I was given a copy of Eighty Nine by the editor, Jodi Cleghorn, without any expectation of promotion. When I read the collection, I was so delighted by the consistent quality of the stories, I offered to post reviews.

Anthologies, even from a single author we admire, tend to be a bit up and down depending on our individual tastes. I read the opening stories of Eighty Nine and enjoyed them, then found I was up to the middle of the book and still reading avidly without wanting to pause, not even be
Paul Phillips
Dec 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A collection of 26 short stories, based around the cultural, political and social happenings of 1989.

I was absolutely impressed with every story in this collection - and that happens rarely for me; there's usually one or two stories that are a little ho-hum, but not here. Maybe it was because I was in my late teens in 1989 and can relate to the times that are central to these stories, maybe it is because the editor has picked a collection of brilliant stories to fill this anthology.

Was good to s
A Reader's Heaven
Jun 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
I first picked up this collection after hearing so many good things about it and you know what? They are all true. Anthologies can be hit and miss, especially ones that "specialise" in a genre - not so with Pulp Ink.

I won't go through all the stories but suffice to say that every author brought something different to the table - revenge, sex, hitmen, greed and money. Some of the stories were told from differing POV - the criminal, the hired gun, the victim...

Certainly a collection that deserves
Lily Mulholland
Oct 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Another community project from eMergent Publishing's Literary Mix Tapes imprint. Twenty-five speculative fiction stories from emerging writers around the world are all linked by a playlist from 1989. There are some fantastic stories in here, underscoring the talent that's out there in cyberspace. Corralled by the indomitable Jodi Cleghorn, it's a testament to the creativity and chutzpah romping around in small, independent presses. Buy it!

Disclaimer: I have a story in this anthology and am damne
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
Katharine is a judge for the Aurealis Awards. This review is the personal opinion of Katharine herself, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of any judging panel, the judging coordinator or the Aurealis Awards management team.

To be safe, I won't be recording my review here until after the AA are over.
S.G.
Oct 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: am-in-this-book
Such a diverse range of speculative fiction stories! Some are uplifting, some will make you laugh, and a lot will creep you out. I loved reading what my fellow authors did with their prompts.
Kristie
Jun 29, 2014
A.B. Wells
May 07, 2012
Sandra Almazan
May 31, 2012
Joshua Donellan
Oct 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
River Fairchild
Sep 24, 2013
Kaolin Fire
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Devin Watson
Dec 19, 2012
Dale Challener
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Evelyn
Sep 20, 2014
Heather Provan
Jan 01, 2016
Nicole Murphy
Dec 05, 2011
Laura Eno
FREDERICK HUTSON
rated it did not like it
Jan 05, 2017
Rob II
Tanya Bell
Aug 25, 2014
Jodi Cleghorn
Oct 10, 2011 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Jessica Bell
Bridget Were
Rebecca Emin
Maria Kelly
Oct 10, 2011 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Melissa
Mary
Shannon Baas
Maxine
Oct 13, 2011
Jodi is an author and poet (former editor and publisher) with a penchant for the dark vein of humanity. She is the editor of 7 anthologies and publisher of a further 5. Her short stories and poems have appeared in local and international publications.

"Elyora" (also published as "River of Bones"), an Australian gothic horror set in the New England Highlands, is her debut novella (short listed for a

News & Interviews