Start by marking “My Sister's Funeral” as Want to Read:
My Sister's Funeral

My Sister's Funeral

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  14 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
In 1973 James’s seventeen-year-old sister, Maria, disappeared while on her way home from school. Over thirty years later her remains are uncovered outside Broken Hill, 1,200 kilometers from her home.

Maria’s disappearance shattered her family and had strange repercussions for her ten-year-old brother, who was left to cope alone while his parents struggled to deal with his s
Published October 8th 2011 by Cyberworld Publishing (first published October 7th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about My Sister's Funeral, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Sister's Funeral

Todd Fonseca
Dec 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Greeting mourners as they arrive at his sister Maria’s funeral, James knew this day was inevitable. Though she had disappeared when he was only ten, the aftermath of that event had effected every aspect of his life including his troubled relationship with his parents, confused sexual urges, and eventual disintegration of his marriage. But after all these years, the question still remained, what had happened, who had killed her, and why? Was it one of these very people who had come to pay their r ...more
Brenda
Jan 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When James was 10 years old, his big sister Maria, disappeared. She vanished on the way home from school near Newcastle, NSW...she was with her girlfriends on the train, and after she had alighted at the station, no-one saw her again.

Now, over thirty years later, Maria’s remains have been found near Broken Hill, and everything comes crashing back. James finds himself reliving all the trauma, the devastation and horror that occurred after Maria went missing, the breakdown of the family, the rapid
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

Seventeen year old Maria was on her way home from school in Newcastle when she vanished without a trace. Now, thirty years later, her remains have been discovered in a wooden crate buried under a culvert more than 1000 km away in Broken Hill. As James prepares for his sister's funeral, he reexamines the mystery surrounding her disappearance, speaking to family and friends in a desperate attempt to make sense of his sister's fate.

James was just 10 years old when Maria went missing, leaving him wi
Lynda

My Sister's Funeral was an interesting read. Stephen Bush's carefully crafted main character, James, has a very strong personality and acts as the narrator throughout the novel as he discusses his memories regarding his sister's death 30 years previously and the current events surrounding the find and burial of her remains.

I enjoyed most of the writing although towards the end, some parts seemed a bit disjointed and disappointing. Perhaps this is a cultural difference as the author is Australia
Dats
Sep 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. Kept me turning the page. Couldn't put it down. Although I have to say it is hard for me to read about a kid disappearing. Pretty much a parents worse nightmare. At first this book kind of reminded me of the Deep End of the Ocean. But it still kept me interested all the way through.
Glenkes
Aug 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An intriguing and heartbreaking little gem of a tale of a man's search for his sister and the meaning of her disappearance even after she's found--and, ultimately of a man's search for his own identity and to discern what is true in all that is false in the world around him. A truly masterful write (and read) for a debut novel.
Stephen
Oct 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book of family secrets and the shattering effect of a sister's disappearance as seem though her much younger brothers eyes and life. A murder mystery, in every way, with a very unexpected ending.
Deborah Spivey
Jan 02, 2013
Darren Mitton
Sep 19, 2012
Paul Bowen
rated it did not like it
Mar 31, 2017
  • Snow
  • Broken Promises
  • Talking To Strangers
  • A Festival Of Cherries
  • Bone Shadows (John Santana, #4)
  • The Funny Adventures of Little Nani
  • Cicada
  • The Glass Butterfly
  • A Stop in the Park
  • Filling in the Triangles
  • The Whole Package
  • Scrappy Cupcake Angels (Wattle Lane, #1)
  • An Irish Miracle
Stephen now lives in the north west of Spain in the Ribeira Sacre, the Sacred Shore. Not long ago he lived on the east coast of Australia, not far from Sydney. He works in publishing and writes, and his writing has been published often under other names.

He has previously lived and travelled extensively in tropical northern Australia where he worked as an accountant. He likes fresh air and the wid
More about Stephen Bush...