Start by marking “A Separate Reality” as Want to Read:
A Separate Reality

A Separate Reality

(The Teachings of Don Juan #2)

"A man of knowledge is free...he has no honor, no dignity, no family, no home, no country, but only life to be lived." --don Juan

In 1961 a young anthropologist subjected himself to an extraordinary apprenticeship to bring back a fascinating glimpse of a Yaqui Indian's world of "non-ordinary reality" and the difficult and dangerous road a man must travel to become "a man of
Published August 1st 1991 by Washington Square Press (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about A Separate Reality, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Separate Reality

Ahmad Sharabiani
A Separate Reality: Further Conversation with Don Juan (The Teachings of Don Juan #2), Carlos Castaneda
ناریخ نخستین خوانش: روز یازدهم ماه ژوئن سال 1986 میلادی
مجموعه ی این دوازده کتاب به توالی تاریخ انتشار به زبان اصلی که همه به فارسی ترجمه شده به قرار زیر است
1-The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge (1968)
تعلیمات دون خوان (طریقه ی معرفت نزد یاکی ها)۰ 1365 انتشارات فردوس ـ ترجمه ی حسین نیر
2 - A Separate Reality: Further Conversation with Don Juan (1971)
حقیقتی دیگر (باز هم گفت و شنودی
Sh3lly (grumpybookgrrrl.com)
"Our lot as men is to learn and one goes to knowledge as one goes to war; I have told you this countless times. One goes to knowledge or to war with fear, with respect, aware that one is going to war, and with absolute confidence in oneself."

"In order to become a man of knowledge one must be a warrior, not a whimpering child. One must strive without giving up, without a complaint, without flinching, until one sees, only to realize then that nothing matters."

In this book, Castaneda returns to his
Sherry (sethurner)
Castaneda books were very popular when I was an undergraduate, and when I first started teaching in the 1970s. I remember reading all three and being amused and confused. I suspect I was mostly interested in the author's descriptions of his experiences with peyote. Years have passed, and I revisited A Separate Reality after a friend's adult son passed away. I saw imagery and a quote from Castaneda in his artwork, and thought this might be a time to see what I could learn from the book. What a di ...more
Syl Sabastian
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
We read and we read, and then, we encounter, well, A Separate Reality. Much depends on how we read. If we're too immersed in story, we miss the More, if we're to concerned with artificial criteria of evaluation, we miss the Value, if we're too bubbled in our cocoon-of-self we miss the Usefulness. Within the distinct realism of A Separate Reality we find an overwhelm of potency, which, if we're not prepared to actually change our world, will pass us by.

To read this powerful and transformative wor
Steven Fogel
I recommend Carlos Castaneda's body of work, which had a great impact on my worldview. A Separate Reality (the second in the series) describes his studies with Don Juan, the Yaqui shaman that he first wrote about in Teachings of Don Juan, a Yaqui Way of Knowledge. Like Teachings, A Separate Reality explores the multiple realities that we experience in our lives, such as our dreams, which while we're dreaming are our true universe, and our waking reality, in which our dreams are just a fantasy. A ...more
David
When I was an undergraduate in the mid-70's, Castaneda's "Don Juan" trilogy (with maybe a little Hermann Hesse thrown in) was what one read to be considered deep and interesting. Thirty years on, Hesse still holds up (for the most part). For Castaneda one can only ask "What was I thinking?".

But presumably that's what undergraduate time should be used for - to read broadly and indiscriminately. So not everything you read in college is going to be good.
Diana Silaghi
Feb 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Don Juan had once told me that a man of knowledge had predilections. I asked him to explain his statement.
"My predilection is to see," he said.
"What do you mean by that?"
"I like to see" he said, "because only by seeing can a man of knowledge know."
"What kind of things do you see?"
"Everything."
"But I also see everything and I'm not a man of knowledge."
"No. You don't see.
"I think I do."
"I tell you, you don't."
"What makes you say that, don Juan?"
"You only look at the surface of things."
"Do you mean
Rob Poole
Dec 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library, reviewed, fiction
There is another world just beyond our reach and we only need to seek it to find it.

In the 1960s Carlos Castaneda made his way to Mexico to learn more about Yaqui Indians and to do a little soul searching. What he found was a man named don Juan, a very powerful sorcerer and a force to be reckoned with. Don Juan turns Castaneda's whole world upside down by teaching him the ways of a sorcerer and the results are some of the most beautiful and touching pieces of nonfiction.

In "A Separate Reality" C
Daniel Parks
Mar 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
You can either view Castaneda's work as extremely well written psychedelic fiction prose or you can view it as a collection of vital truths that will help you live a better life. Either way you would be right in my opinion, and the fact that it is all most likely completely made up only makes the fiction that much more magical to me, and more true.

"It was as if the point of departure had always been myself. It was as if Don Juan had never really been there, and when I looked for him he became w
Jakk Makk
Jan 10, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The first half-hour did not compel me to finish the audiobook.
Leo Walsh
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
Second Don Juan book. A little weaker than the first. Plus, there are hints of Hindu and Buddhist philosophy re-packaged as native American wisdom. Old wine in new [age] skins...

But instead of reading these as the non-fiction they are marketed as, I am reading them as fantasies.

That said, I love the new character Castaneda introduces here, don Genaro. A true trickster, he makes me laugh. But the "wisdom" revealed here is less interesting than the "wisdom" revealed in the first volume. Instead
Samson Martirosyan
Mar 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Դոն Խուանի հետ առաջին հանդիպման պահից անցավ արդեն 10 տարի։ Մարտիկ դառնալու ու տեսնելու ճանապարհը լի է դժվարություններով, որոնք հեղինակը փորձում է հաղթահարել այս անգամ ավելի պրակտիկ գործողություններով, սակայն ամենաբարդ բանը՝ լիովին ընդունել սկսած ճանապարհը, կողքի դնելով սովորական ընկալումը, դեռ չի ստացվում։ Բայց սառույցը արդեն շարժվել է, դեպի ետ ճանապարհ այլևս չկա։ Մյուսը՝ Ճանապարհորդություն դեպի Իստկլանն է, որն, թվում է, էլ ավելի հետաքրքիր կլինի։

Անհնար է պոկվել գրքից։ Իրականությունը փոխվում է, հ
Erik Graff
Apr 30, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: psychonauts
Recommended to Erik by: Michael Miley
Shelves: religion
This is the volume following Castaneda's revised doctoral dissertation, The Teachings of Don Juan (1968), and preceding Journey to Ixtlan (1972). The three were eventually issued as a cloth trilogy. I started the series in paperback, but found the trilogy soon after and purchased it, probably at Stuart Brent Bookstore in Chicago near where I worked during the summer months between college and seminary.
Sandra Hernandez
Apr 21, 2009 rated it liked it
This book was hard to follow, I found myself asking wether or not what was being read was actually occuring or if it was part of a story. I still enjoyed it, the book has the potential to open a mind and explore different dimensions outside of this world. I really think I would have captured more of the books teachings if I had joined in the peyote smoking! :>
Aaron Dennis
Jul 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A Separate Reality is the second book written by Carlos Castaneda, and while still practically mired in the realm of hallucinogenic mixtures, a few new topics are brought to life; seeing, living like a warrior, and shutting off the internal dialogue.

It is those three concepts, which bring a rather large change to the narrative presentation. Some people argue that it is because the book veers away from the initial inspections of the first book that it must all be fake. Okay, very possible. It is
Ahmadreza
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
بالاخره بعد از 1.5 سال انتظار فرصت مناسب برای خوندن این کتاب پیدا کردم. آشنایی با دون خوان گنجیه که نمیشه روش قیمتی گذاشت. تمام چیزهایی رو که فلاسفه با تلاش های فکری بسیار میتونن در ذهن بیارن دون خوان براحتی زندگی میکنه و بسیار هم از اونها فراتر میره. مهمترین تفاوتش اینه که سلوک دون خوان عملیه و به جای تلاش فکری برای تصور کردن حقیقت اون با سلوک عملیش مستقیم به حقیقت چشم میدوزه.
واسه همین بدون هیچ تلاش فکری و استدلالی حقیقت رو توصیف و زندگی میکنه.
تفاوت سالک با فیلسوف در همینه. فیلسوف کلی تلاش می
David
Aug 09, 2011 rated it liked it
This was a reread from a college-assigned book. It’s a fictional but well written account with some philosophy buried in mystical pretense. (Castaneda never declared it to be fictional.) Strange, I wish it were true, and I’m not sure why. Maybe we want there to be a different world lurking just beyond conscious perception. This book and the whole Yaqui Way of Knowledge is an appeal to the mystic want-to-be. It makes our reality seem so boring. But actually it’s not. A separate and better reality ...more
Catherine
Nov 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Read this mostly in one sitting at the DMV. A world-altering read for me. The book starts slow but careens into mystical extremes by the second half. Castaneda plays the role of the modern person: rational, verbal, objective. Castaneda is amazingly, remarkably bad at succumbing to metaphysical experience. This is hilarious and endearing. Castaneda might have been resisting the non-linear because he was ostensibly doing anthropological research. In any case this makes Castaneda a relatable foil t ...more
Aaron
Nov 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book would probably seem strange to most and only interesting to a few. For me I can only say that this book chose me, it came to me at a time in my life in which I was approaching a major spiritual awakening, though I didn't know it. This book helped push me over the edge. I feel if I would have read it any time sooner than when I did it would have been lost on me.
Jeff
May 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
anthropology or fabrication? doesn't matter--can't be too much carpe diem literature and this is excellent--i've loved page 88 for many decades--
Lapo
Aug 10, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
The greatest celebration of gullibility and lack of any ability to discern or investigate I have ever read. Also, poorly written.
Anna
Jan 01, 2012 rated it did not like it
I really tried to read his book, but more I'd read more I thought that the author had spent time with Don Juan on using some kind of drug.
Solor
Oct 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
silly, pretentious, outdated
Candice
Jul 24, 2009 rated it did not like it
Complete hogwash.
Jonathan Hockey
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I like this more sober approach to spiritual reality. It is an individual journey and there are benefits and dangers at every turn. Compared to the generic assertions of some new age spirituality, referring to abstractions such as the absolute and how we are all interconnected, etc... They feel like intellectualisations of something that can't be intellectualised and they make it seem that ultimate reality is quite a simplistic, passive thing to understand. This book only really hints at some as ...more
Emily Rosewater
Jan 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Чувство собственной важности и правда в наибольшей (чем что-либо ещё - чем какое-либо из навязчивых состояний) мере оборачивает человека в неповоротливую массу самоуверенний и предпочтений. Человек теряет форму, исполняясь оного чувства, а от малейшего дуновения ветерка вкуса, моды и благоразумия Его Великолепная Мнительность распадаются-с на множество дисгармонирующих между собой предпочтений - и вовсе не потому, что он (она, не суть важно, ибо человек) являет собой характернейшую особь ответвл ...more
Lucas Lima
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Esse segundo livro da coletânea dos Ensinamentos de Dom Juan deixa de lado o caráter acadêmico ou de entendimento, segundo uma organização racional dos pressupostos expostos pelo brujo e anotados pelo aprendiz, para entrar em um jornada diferente, mais complicada, incompreensível e perigosa.

Nessa segunda etapa de aprendizados, depois do retorno de Castaneda aos ensinamentos de Dom Juan, o ponto primordial é a capacidade de ver, não de enxergar, olhar ou compreender, mas algo mais inexplicável qu
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: occult
"Too bad my life is so short that I can't grab onto all the things I would like to. But that is not an issue; it's only a pity." - Don Juan (A Separate Reality by Carlos Castaneda, Pg.5)

"I have told you time and time again. The most effective way to live is as a warrior. Worry and think before you make any decision, but once you make it, be on your way free from worries or thoughts; there will be a million other decisions still awaiting you. That's the warrior's way." - Don Juan (A Separate Real
Mayrene
Dec 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
El relato es muy ameno y muy sencillo de seguir, sobre todo cuando no entiendes algo e inmediatamente Don Juan menciona que el problema es que tratamos de entender todo.

Me gustan estos libros porque me dan una visión diferente y porque, a pesar de que tengo mis creencias, se pueden destacar varios consejos que nos pueden ayudar a los seres humanos en general. De este libro en particular rescaté varias frases que dejé registradas en mis actualizaciones de estado que pienso utilizar en mi vida di
Jenny
Dec 05, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"We learn to think about everything, and then we train our eyes to look as we think about the things we look at. We look at ourselves already thinking that we are important. And therefore we’ve got to feel important! But then when a man learns to see, he realizes that he can no longer think about the things he looks at, and if he cannot think about what he looks at everything becomes unimportant."

"Once you decide something put all your petty fears away. Your decision should vanquish them. I will
  • The Witch's Dream: A Healer's Way of Knowledge
  • The Sorcerer's Crossing: A Woman's Journey
  • Sorcerer's Apprentice: My Life with Carlos Castaneda
  • Caravan of Dreams
  • The Survivors of the Chancellor (Extraordinary Voyages, #13)
  • Bad Twin
  • The Way of the Shaman
  • The Stone Leopard
  • The Teachings of Don Carlos: Practical Applications of the Works of Carlos Castañeda
  • The Long Trip: A Prehistory of Psychedelia
  • After All These Years
  • The Moon Pool
  • Breaking Open the Head: A Psychedelic Journey Into the Heart of Contemporary Shamanism
  • Rational Mysticism: Spirituality Meets Science in the Search for Enlightenment
  • The Coalwood Way: A Memoir  (Coalwood, #2)
  • Book of the Hopi
  • Psychedelic Shamanism: The Cultivation, Preparation and Shamanic Use of Psychoactive Plants
  • The "God" Part of the Brain: A Scientific Interpretation of Human Spirituality and God
Carlos Castaneda (December 25, 1925 – April 27, 1998) was a Peruvian-born American author. Immigration records for Carlos César Arana Castañeda indicate that he was born on December 25, 1925 in Cajamarca, Perú. Records show that his surname was given by his mother Susana Castañeda Navoa. His father was César Arana Burungaray. His surname appears with the ñ in many Hispanic dictionaries, even thoug ...more

The Teachings of Don Juan (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge
  • Fire from Within
  • Power of Silence
  • The Art of Dreaming
  • Magical Passes: The Practical Wisdom of the Shamans of Ancient Mexico
  • The Wheel of Time: The Shamans of Mexico Their Thoughts About Life Death & the Universe
“We are men and our lot in life is to learn and to be hurled into inconceivable new worlds.” 59 likes
“To be a warrior a man has to be, first of all, and rightfully so, keenly aware of his own death. But to be concerned with death would force any one of us to focus on the self and that would be debilitating. So the next thing one needs to be a warrior is detachment. The idea of imminent death, instead of becoming an obsession, becomes an indifference.
Now you must detach yourself; detach yourself from everything. Only the idea of death makes a man sufficiently detached so he is incapable of abandoning himself to anything. Only the idea of death makes a man sufficiently detached so he can't deny himself anything. A man of that sort, however, does not crave, for he has acquired a silent lust for life and for all things of life. He knows his death is stalking him and won't give him time to cling to anything, so he tries, without craving, all of everything.”
24 likes