Start by marking “Buffy the Vampire Slayer Vol. 16: Slayer, Interrupted (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #6 Buffy Season 1)” as Want to Read:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Vol. 16: Slayer, Interrupted

(Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #6)

Considering how Buffy Summers has burned down the school gym, run off to Vegas, and filled her diary with tales of vampires and demons, her parents see no other choice than to have her committed to a mental institution for a nice long rest. During her stay, Buffy finds that she rather likes not having to slay vampires and demons night after night. But there's something sin ...more
Published December 30th 2003 by Dark Horse

To ask other readers questions about Buffy the Vampire Slayer Vol. 16, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buffy the Vampire Slayer Vol. 16

Start your review of Buffy the Vampire Slayer Vol. 16: Slayer, Interrupted (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #6 Buffy Season 1)
Wren (fablesandwren)

Do you remember that episode where Buffy woke up in an asylum and her mother and father were together and they told her that she had to kill everyone in her other, fake life in order to get all better and go home with them?

And we never know which one is actually the real life and they never touch on it again because Joss Whedon hates all of us and is cackling evilly as we die from anxiety?

This one made me feel better.

The comic-Buffy actually has been to an asylum because Dawn read her diary an
Gonzalo Urrutia
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-buffyverse
So much girl power in a single story, this is my favorite comic-book Buffy yet. The art is amazing, it flows right along the writing and they bond to make something that transcends the page.
Arie ☂

This volume takes place before season one of the show and chronicles Buffy's time in a institution after Dawn reads her diary and learns about her vampire shenanigans. This volume was inspired by one of my favourite episodes - 'Normal Again' from season six. That episode was such a mindtrip. I think it's the only episode to have truly scared me (because that ending!!). This wasn't as good, but it was fun to see Buffy's time there.

This was also the first Buffy volume I ever purchased. I mean, loo
Christian
Jul 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
I am so tired of hackneyed attempts to insert Alice in Wonderland into stories about mental institutions.
J-Lynn Van Pelt
This issue takes place between the original movie and the TV show. Buffy's family still lives in L.A. and her parents have not yet got a divorce. The back story of this issue is that after burning down her school and getting expelled, Buffy runs off with Pike to Las Vegas and ends up smoking out another vampire ring. But, she doesn't fill in her parents who are afraid she has run away and they eventually have her commited to a mental institution after her sister, Dawn, reads her diary and is spo ...more
YoSafBridg
May 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
More about Buffy before she comes to Sunnydale--this one puts her in hospital because she's seeing vampires and demons--referencing one of my favorite episodes which questions the whole reality of the Buffyverse--i love the continuity of these graphic novels and how it fills in background of a show that i miss but believe ended aptly.
Layla
Oct 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I don't care if this was somewhat cheesy, I loved it. Looooved :)
Margaret Robbins
I've already read the first Buffy Omnibus series book that features these comics volumes; however, I wanted to read this collection to focus on the part of Buffy's narrative in which she goes to the mental hospital after her (mis)adventures with Pike and Dawn reading her diary. To me, these volumes made interesting statements about the power of imagination and metaphor as shown in the Buffyverse. (Ex: blood = family, vampires = peers, high school = Hell, slaying = ending youth). I was also fasci ...more
Kelley
Shelly
Okay, a bit kooky, so Dawn esists in a world before Sunnydale.
Buffy, Angel, Whisperer, Dawn, Joycy, Giles and Buffy's dad.
Interesting mix of timelines.
Jordan
We’ve covered the fact that I’m on a Buffy binge, right? No need to repeat the same introduction over and over again….I’m finally watching the show, and since I’m a completist I’m going through the comics too. This particular volume picks up where Viva Las Buffy! left off, with Buffy finally returning home after her exploits in Las Vegas.

After they destroyed a particularly nasty nest of vampires in Vegas, Pike left Buffy because he was afraid he was going to get her killed if she kept having to
Emily Green
May 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
The stories in Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Slayer, Interrupted read exactly as they are: prologues to the television series. They purport to be a bridge between the movie and the television show, but the television show did best to leave the gap not fully written.
The difference in tone between the movie and the television show is enormous, due partially to the fact that they were nearly a decade apart. In fact, I refused to watch the series for a considerable amount of time, because the movie wa
Sharon
Sep 10, 2014 rated it liked it
This takes place before Season 1.

In "Dawn and the Happy Bear", 10 year old Dawn Summers is mistaken for the Slayer and given a cursed teddy bear.

In "Slayer, Interrupted", Buffy has just recently learned that she is the slayer. Having fled to Las Vegas after burning her school gym to the ground, she is back home in Sunnydale. Dawn has found her diary and shown their parents - Buffy is sent to a mental institution, where she doubts herself and realizes that things are not as they seem at the fac
Andie Taylor
Feb 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Kirsten
Jun 25, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Buffy
This BtVS graphic novel is set in between the events of the movie and the start of the TV series. Buffy's mother and father read her diary and discover that she thinks she is the Slayer -- something that's CLEARLY insane. Buffy ends up committed to a mental institution, and in the process becomes more committed to her role as the Slayer. This was pretty entertaining, but nothing terribly grounbreaking. Solid story, solid art, worth reading, but not one for the ages.
Danielle
Aug 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Probably my favorite Buffy graphic novel so far. Buffy is institutionalized after Dawn reads her diary, where she talks about slaying vampires. It had a bunch of crazy twists that made it enojyable. I also liked the Hoopy the Bear story, that kind of went along with this, or was in front of it in the omnibus vol. 1.
Libra
I love the chapter illustrations in this issue! I enjoyed exploring the question of Buffy's sanity. Is she really a Slayer? She's on an journey of the mind while Giles ties up loose ends before he makes his way to Sunnydale, California.
Stacey
Jan 05, 2010 rated it liked it
I almost can't remember this, but it's stories of Buffy's life pre-Sunnydale, and include memories of Dawn inserted; choosing to insert a little sister character that was never there before meant changing not only the show's progression, but the comics, as well. Pretty well done, really.
Rita
Nov 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Faced with the biggest responsibility of all and having to watch her parents split up, life gets to be a bit too much for newly slayered Buffy Summers. Her parents decide to give a mental institution a try, hoping it will help. But when you're the slayer, wherever you are you are destined to be.
Brandy Shark
I don't have much to say about this graphic novel; it wasn't terrible, but it wasn't fantastic. I would have much rather have seen it as an actual episode, but I do like that the Buffy story verse is still continuing in any medium.
Kirsten
Jun 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
This was a fun read. It was nice to see it expanded on of what was shown in the show.
Rebekah
A fun pre-Sunnydale story complete with Dawn and the tale of how Giles was chosen to be her watcher.
Laika
Jun 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, comics
It was okay. I liked how it captured the spirit of the show, but wasn't a fan of the art (especially with the fighting scenes).
Angela
I'm loving this Buffy back story! I think it makes her seem more real than just 'Oh, yea I was a cheerleader, now I'm a nobody who secretly fights demons' It's nice progression.
Allanna
Oct 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
I always wondered what went on between the movie and the series.

And I heart Giles, so learning a little more of his backstory is always cool.
Killjoymcrmegz
Jun 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
it made the whole series of buffy the vampire slayer very clear, it showed how the what happened before the series begins
Julie
Mar 25, 2012 rated it did not like it
It was set in time before the series started, but I'm really not fond of graphic novels. I find them annoying as they skip around and try to put too much on a page.

Chris Quinn
Jan 11, 2015
Landree Rennpage
Sep 07, 2013
Anthony
Jul 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Origin (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #4 Buffy Season 1)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: A Stake to the Heart (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #7 Buffy Season 1)
  • Buffy contre les vampires Saison 1 T01 : Origines
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Food Chain (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #15 Buffy Season 3)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: No Future for You (Season 8, Volume 2)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Long Way Home (Season 8, Volume 1)
  • Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Queen of Hearts (Buffy Classics, #9)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Wolves at the Gate (Season 8, Volume 3)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer:  Time of Your Life (Season 8, Volume 4)
  • Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Dawn and Hoopy the Bear (Buffy Classics, #4)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Twilight (Season 8, Volume 7)
  • Buffy The Vampire Slayer: MacGuffins (Buffy Classics, #8)
  • Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Paint the Town Red (Buffy Classics, #11)
  • Buffy The Vampire Slayer: All's Fair (Buffy Classics, #1)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Play With Fire and Other Stories (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #10 Buffy Season 3)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Last Gleaming (Season 8, Volume 8)
  • The Blood of Carthage (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #19 Buffy Season 4)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Oz (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #20 Buffy Season 4)
Scott Lobdell (born 1960) is an American comic book writer.

He is mostly known for his work throughout the 1990s on Marvel Comics' X-Men-related titles specifically Uncanny X-Men, the main title itself, and the spin-off series that he conceived with artist Chris Bachalo, Generation X. Generation X focused on a number of young mutant students who attempted to become superheroes in their own right at

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Tales of the Slayers (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #1)
  • Tales of the Vampires (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #2)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Spike & Dru (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #3)
  • Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Viva Las Buffy (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #5 Buffy Season 1)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Dust Waltz (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic#8  Buffy Season 2)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Ring of Fire (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #9 Buffy Season 2)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Remaining Sunlight (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #11 Buffy Season 3)