Start by marking “Falcon” as Want to Read:
Falcon

Falcon

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  130 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
A young boy imagines what it would be like to fly as a falcon and see the world from on high. Soaring through the skies, he describes the sights and sounds of the world below. From snow-capped mountains to lush valleys, over rolling ocean and up rocky cliffs, Falcon will awaken the senses of every reader.
Published March 27th 2012 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Falcon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Falcon

Melody
Jul 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Simply lovely illustrations of a falcon doing falcony things- soaring, diving, perching, flying. The text is spare and clean, the real strength here is the art. It's quite obvious that Jessell has spent a lot of time in the company of falcons, and his ability to depict them in motion is breathtaking. I wish I'd had this book to read when my son was small, he would have adored it. I think he will adore it now, just not from my lap.
Megan
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The art is gorgeous, and the sentiment real. Haven't we all longed to be falcons, our wings catching the air and lifting us into the open sky? No? Just me?
Sep 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
A young boy lies in the field day dreaming of being a falcon. The text flows smoothly, the illustrations are extremely detailed yet soft, and the story overall has a calming yet whimsical effect. I could almost feel myself flying with the falcon. Teachers/librarians could use this book when studying senses or as a precursor to a creative writing activity. Recommended for purchase
Jun 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-lit
Artwork deserves 5 stars easily. The text is an afterthought at best. Also, a book about a falcon where the falcon doesn't try to kill anything? Lame.
Theresa
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Falcon (Hardcover)
by Tim Jessell
A beautiful rendered story of a falcon in the city. The imagery of words is amazing. The paintings are awe inspiring. A great book to share with children. Pictures that would inspire any animal lover.
e.  ellor
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
My 5 year-old who is obsessed with falcons right now would like to give this a 10 out of 5. The illustrations are beautiful, the writing is well done. Especially if you have a child who loves animals and wildlife this is a great book.
DeNae
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Gorgeous illustrations and a fun imagining of life as a falcon.
Pam
Mar 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Beautiful illustrations and simple text share about a falcon's life.
Tasha
Jan 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Told in lush illustrations and verse, this picture book follows the daydreams of a young boy. A boy in a summer field dreams of being a falcon. He would fly high in the mountains, along the coast, and roost in the cliffs where he could hear the crashing waves. He would journey to the city, where he could perch far above the noise and bustle and watch the city from above. Then he would dive down, faster and faster, towards the sidewalks and the people. At the very last moment, he would spread his ...more
Denise Krebs
Jul 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Very beautiful prose describing a young boy imagining to be a falcon. I thought it was lovely and almost a nonfiction telling of what falcons do.

However, at the end the falcon swoops down toward the sidewalks and people gasping below. He flies right back up and considers doing it again. At that point I remembered it was a little boy imagining (wishing) he were a falcon. Sweet!
Michael Fitzgerald
Aug 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Are we scared of showing the basic concept of what a falcon, as a predator, does? Hunting and eating are nowhere to be found in this book. The pictures are nice, but I daresay if you asked the falcon what he'd like to do first, he'd swoop and snatch a mouse before he'd worry about all that poetic soaring and preening.
Ann Williams
Feb 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-everyone
Dylan showed me this awesome book. It is narrative non fiction, which is a genre that we are learning more about all the time. The illustrations are AMAZING. Everyone couldn't wait to get their hands on this book. Check out Tim Jessell's website.
Nov 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
A boy muses about what he would do if he were a falcon, imagining flying through the wilderness and a busy city. I like that this story shows how animals' adaptations play out both in their natural environments and our urban landscapes.
Great Books
Mar 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: family
A falcon flies to far away places, along coastlines and among tall buildings. The majectic bird's journey and daring are imagined by a boy. The imagry is gracefully rendered in realistic panoramic illustrations lending to a flight of fancy for children of all ages. Reviewer 17
Chris
The other day I was peering out the window of the library trying to see if I could still spot the Peregrine Falcon my kids and I had been watching out in the square, perched high on a skyscraper. I turned to my left and this book jumped off the shelf at me. Pleasant coincidence.
Kifflie
Oct 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
What would it be like if you were a falcon? Author and illustrator Tim Jessell has produced a terrific picture book about these birds of prey. The jacket notes reveal that Jessell is a licensed falconer, so he certainly knows what he's talking about here. The paintings are lovely.
Heidi-Marie
I wasn't all that thrilled with the text in this, but the illustrations--particularly of the falcon and landscapes--were beautiful. Great choice for a lap-read and let the child's imagination soar (pun intended).
Judy Desetti
Dec 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: teachers to share with kids
Stunning illustrations! Great book to share with kids showing what falcons do and experience. The boy in the story is imagining he is a falcon and doing all the things that the falcon does.

Recommend.
Laura5
My 7 yr old was completely enchanted - On the page with the Falcon diving: "Now that's my kind of move"
Scottsdale Public Library
Share the awesome experience of flight beyond boundaries. - Monty
Aimee Owen
Dec 17, 2012 rated it liked it
This would be a great book to read and then visit the falcons in downtown Omaha!
Garren
Mar 08, 2016 rated it liked it
A short journey of pure imaginative fun: What would it be like to be a falcon? The gorgeous oil paintings and the dream-like pace make this a great filler book between longer stories.
Beverly
Jan 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pbf-general
Gorgeous, realistic illustrations of a peregrine falcon in the wild and in the city; poetic prose; good for storytime.
Jodie
Nov 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful illustrations that start with a boy dreaming that he is a falcon and what he would do. I am drawn to the details on the cover.
Peacegal
Mar 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Wonderful illustrations of birds!
Andd Becker
Sep 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
A boy imagines the life of a falcon. The text is fluid and descriptive. The illustrations are superb.
Charlene
Jul 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Beautiful illustrations.
Amy Wise
Aug 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Great illustrations! Cool book about a boy telling you what he would do if he were a falcon. We have all had that daydream before...if I were a bird...I would... Great book!
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Mar 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, picture-book
The illustrations in this book are beautiful.
Kim
May 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Imagine flying as a falcon.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »