Start by marking “The Lost Stories (Ranger's Apprentice #11)” as Want to Read:
The Lost Stories (Ranger's Apprentice #11)

The Lost Stories

(Ranger's Apprentice #11)

Will, there's something you should know. Something I should have told you long ago...
Published October 3rd 2011 by Random House Australia (first published October 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Stories, please sign up.
Erudessa Aranduriel Hibernia represents Ireland (Hibernia is actually an old name for said country) and I believe the accent Mr. Flanagan was imagining was the Irish…moreHibernia represents Ireland (Hibernia is actually an old name for said country) and I believe the accent Mr. Flanagan was imagining was the Irish accent.(less)
Mary Yes, if you want to. Or you can read only a few chapters of Book 11 - the ones that interest you most.

Book 11 consists of several stand-alone short…more

Book 11 consists of several stand-alone short stories that can be read individually, and many fans don't like it as much as the rest of the series. (Personally, I enjoy some of the stories much more than others.) A couple of the stories provide background for Book 12, and others happen during the previous books of the series. But you wouldn't miss too many essential events - unless you count a couple of weddings. (less)

Kyle
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

If you loved the series, you'll love The Lost Stories, I know I did.

The Lost Stories are just a series of short stories that answer some of the questions left unanswered by the series. Most are only two or three chapters long and can be finished off pretty quickly. Personally, I normally skip these types of releases. Most that I've read in the past have felt more like "money-makers" for the author than anything with real content for the reader.

I really enjoyed the Ranger's Apprentice series though so I thoreader.

I

Jonathan Terrington
This is yet another (the eleventh in fact) addition to a wonderful series of YA books. I love them for their characterisation, for the rich world, for the fact that both men and women are heroes in this world, for the fact that it is set in a more pure older time with a clear distinction between good and evil and just because it's great entertainment as a series. And like all great book series both the target audience of 12-16 year olds and adult readers can enjoy them. I know this to be true be ...more
C.B. Cook
Good grief, I love these books. This one was just a collection of short stories related to the series, but it was so good!!! Lots of feels (as in, fangirl squeals and sobs...), although the last one didn't excite me that much (as I've said before, I'm not a huge fan of Alyss). (view spoiler) ...more
Rebecca May
Aug 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Firstly, just a warning, this review contains spoilers.

Secondly, for the record, I would actually give this book 3.5 stars, which I rounded up to four.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love this book - it is really well written, and I incredibly enjoyed seeing all the characters again, and getting all my questions answered, and seeing the marriages between Cassandra and Horace, Will and Alyss, and seeing the continuing relationship between Gilan and Jenny. But I give the b
kelley
Nov 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Lost Stories is a unique book. The author John Flanagan writes a series of short stories that answer questions sent to him by his fans.

1. Death of a Hero--How Halt finds Will.
2. The Inkwell and the Dagger--What happened to Gilan when Halt and Horace went to Gallica to rescue Will in The Icebound Land.
3. The Roamers--an adventure that Alyss and Will have together.
4. Purple Prose--is an assignment Will and Halt have to capture some moondarkers who have been wrecking and plu
Avalley
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book, just not as much as I have liked the other ones. The only reason for that is because someone dies that is important to the main character, but i don't wan't to spoil anything.
Lexie
Jun 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, 5-stars
8/10. A collection of relatively short stories, and they were all great. I barely got bored with this book and there was a lot of humour in this one. I loved reading in some different characters POV's, especially Gilan's haha, and loved reading about stuff that happened in between throughout the rest of the series. And some of the beautiful things that happened in this book, so great! I really liked this one. Have reread each of the stories multiple times!
Kathy Davie
An omnibus of ten stories revolving around the Ranger Corps in the Kingdom of Araluen.

Flanagan takes an unique approach introducing this collection of short stories he has written around the Ranger's Apprentice by having an archeology professor in 1896 dig up a chest full of reports at a dig site. He ends with a fragment/afterword that introduces his new series, The Brotherband Chronicles.

All are in the Ranger's Apprentice series
"Hibernian", 0.25
"Death of a Hero", 0.5
"Inkwell and t/>All
rachel ☾
Nov 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm really not a fan of short story anthologies so I am a bit nervous for this!

Discoveries | 1 star - This is me being completely selfish. I hate the idea of our characters being dead so that no one even remembers them, and all their things are buried and dead and gone, with these strange people digging them up and going through it.

Death of a Hero | 4 stars - I am so glad that we got to learn more about Will's biological family, and don't think it could have be explained in a better way.
Death/>
Dan
Mar 05, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure, 2016, fantasy
This would have gotten 4 stars, but the stories just were too "uneven". One or two I really enjoyed, and would have preferred to have had them expanded to a whole novel. Others seemed to me to be nearly "filler", even if they did flush out aspects of the over arching story.
Amber
Kathleen
3.5 stars for this enjoyable collection of short adventure stories set in medieval England (but called Araluen). These tales feature mostly Will and Halt, but also Crowley, Gilan, Alyss, Horace, etc. Will's dog Ebony and his horse Tug play key roles, too.

1. Death of a Hero--Halt finally tells Will the whole story of how both of Will's parents died and how Halt brought baby Will to Redmont Castle
2. The Inkwell and the Dagger-- Gilan deals with loose ends and fallout from book 2,
Red_Queen_Lover
Jan 29, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf, the-old-me
I honestly found myself wanting to skip chapters just so I could finish the book. I hate it when people talk crud about a book they just weren't feeling, so I'm going to avoid that.
I think maybe I could give it another try later, but as of now, it's going to stay one star ;(
Cordelianne
Some of these stories were awesome and really added something to the overall story. But other stories were boring and did not really add anything. One of my favorites was definitely the wedding story! It was so cute, but still action packed!
Luann
What a joy it was to be back in the Ranger's Apprentice world with Will and Halt and all the others. I had resigned myself to the fact that book 10 would be the last, so this was a very pleasant surprise! And while a series of short stories isn't quite the same as a full-length book, I still enjoyed it VERY much. I think my favorite was the story about Halt before he became a Ranger - probably because I've always thought that a series about his younger years would be just as great as the books w ...more
Kat
Oct 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, young-adult
Basic Premise: This volume is a collection of short stories set in the world of the Ranger's Apprentice series. They fill in some of the gaps on reader questions that aren't specifically addressed in the novels of the series.

Flanagan's short fiction works well, but if you haven't read the series, you won't have a clue what's going on in the stories. This was definitely intended for people who are already fans. The stories cover most of the logical questions readers would ask: what ha
Lila Kims
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: medieval-fantasy
There was one story in this collection that bored me so much I thought for sure I would DNF. (the second story, where Gilan saves the day or whatever) But it turns out, that was the only one. All the others proved to be either absolutely hilarious or positively hit-you-in-the-feelsy. I definitely have my peeves with John Flanagan's style, but I've experienced the world of Ranger's Apprentice too long, and have gotten to know his characters too well, not to hold this series close to my heart. < ...more
Dana
Dec 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has been the cutest, sweetest, and funniest sequel in the whole series! I've never laughed nor was I touched like I did in The Lost Stories! A loot of progress that a reader can't help but tear up as he sees the characters mature page by.page and feel proud of them. That a reader can magically connect with the characters of a story is what made Ranger's Apprentice survive till the 12th book and enjoy such a loyal fandom ^_^ Well done, John!
Jacob Copps
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantasy novel written by John Flanagan. It is the 11th book in The Rangers Apprentice series. It is not a continuation of the series, instead it is a collection of stories that explains questions from fans of things that weren't covered in the series. For example it includes stories about what happened at the wedding of Hoarce and Cassandra. Also it explains what happened when Halt and Will left Gavin. It also includes another story that explains how Halt became a ranger, and another s ...more
Melina
So I've finally finished the published Ranger's Apprentice books (don't fear - John Flanagan pointed out in the talk I was at on Thursday that there will be at least one more). I'll start with my thoughts on the Lost Stories and then move back to the series as a whole.

This is a series of short stories covering everything from how Will's parents really died, through to random adventures through to more important milestones. The stories are short and easily digestible, which was good b
Tricia Mingerink
I enjoy some of the short stories in this book. Others, not so much.

I like the ones leading up to Horace's wedding and the actual wedding. I like the short clip of Will's wedding and Jenny's and Gilan's romantic dinner that never was. The first time I read this book, I really liked the short stories with Halt's backstories. Those stories are now partially repeated in the two prequel books, so I ended up skipping them this time while re-listening because I'd just listened to the prequels.

I'll a
Melenia
Oct 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
October 2018 - 5 stars - Audio book - Loved it (read back to back)

December 2014 - 4 stars - Pretty good read
Kylia
I think there should be more stories about Will and Alyss.
Landon
The Lost Stories (John Flanagan) is a collection of short stories, all about characters found in the original Ranger’s Apprentice series. Its main purpose is to, obviously make money, but also entertain and answer questions formed in the first ten books. The Lost Stories is comprised of nine events, all taking place during or shortly after the time period in which the rest of the series takes, in the middle ages. The names of the brief accounts are as follows, in the order they are featured in ...more
Sean Crastien
Aug 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Overall Rating: 3/5
Story: 3/5
Characters: 3/5
World-Building: 3/5
Editing/Presentation: 3/5

Story: There are multiple short stories in this book, and each of them have clear plot lines and aren’t the least bit confusing. The assassination attempt on Evanlyn in one of the stories definitely seemed random and thrown in last minute, and other stories didn’t seem to serve much purpose to the larger series than to give minor characters a chance to shine. Most of the st
Sionna
I forgot to note my opinions of the stories as I went along-- whoops! I did enjoy most of them.

I think the beginning, or the theme of how these are journals found in the future really hit my heart and made me feel more nostalgic because then it really hits home that the characters will die eventually. Die and become legends, but perhaps not totally known by name.

Anyhow, most of the stories are really good. I liked the stories of Gilan and even of Halt's past. There were many instances to laugh
Ruby
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think it was really good of the author to create this book, a collection of stories that tell of small adventures in Will’s day to day life, as well as finally explaining many plot points and unsolved mysteries. And, of course, tying up loose ends with a couple of weddings. As well as this, it is written into yet another story that puts a whole new perspective on the world RA readers have learned to love, and brings up new questions. Another book I thoroughly enjoyed reading!
Julia
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*stares at book*
*tries to remember how much I liked it*
*puts down 4 stars*
*changes to 5*
*more staring*

I like longer stories better, but these were quick and enjoyable to read.

And, please note that I actually did NOT read the book on the date mentioned below. It's just that I can't remember WHEN I did. X'D Whoops.
Kyle Neil
It wasn't terrible, but it didn't have the same excitement of the other books. I know this was kind of designed to wrap up what the books failed to cover, but it should of been written better I guess?
Ashley
I didn't like the bit about the horses.
Oakleaf Bearers: The Lost Stories 3 4 Sep 11, 2017 11:35AM
Ranger's Apprenti...: How old is Will ? 19 92 Jul 24, 2015 03:10PM

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Other Worlds
  • Halo
  • The Whisperer
  • Word of Honour (The Laws of Magic, #3)
  • The Wizard of Rondo (Rondo, #2)
  • Apartment 255
  • Rogue's Home (Knight and Rogue, #2)
  • The Puzzle Ring
  • Tensy Farlow and the Home for Mislaid Children
  • Kill the Possum
  • Chasing the Prophecy (Beyonders, #3)
  • Albrek's Tomb (Adventurers Wanted, #3)
  • Chasers (Alone, #1)
  • The Ring of Wind (Young Samurai, #7)
  • Ondskabens Tegn (Jarastavens Vandring, #2)
  • Isle of Fire (Isle of Swords, #2)
  • Borderlands (Chasing the Valley #2)

For mysteries by this same author, see John A. Flanagan.

John Flanagan grew up in Sydney, Australia, hoping to be a writer. It wasn't until he wrote a highly uncomplimentary poem about a senior executive at the agency where he worked, however, that his talent was revealed. It tu

Ranger's Apprentice (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Ruins of Gorlan (Ranger's Apprentice, #1)
  • The Burning Bridge (Ranger's Apprentice, #2)
  • The Icebound Land (Ranger's Apprentice, #3)
  • The Battle for Skandia (Ranger's Apprentice, #4)
  • The Sorcerer in the North (Ranger's Apprentice, #5)
  • The Siege of Macindaw (Ranger's Apprentice, #6)
  • Erak's Ransom (Ranger's Apprentice, #7)
  • The Kings of Clonmel (Ranger's Apprentice, #8)
  • Halt's Peril (Ranger's Apprentice, #9)
  • The Emperor of Nihon-Ja (Ranger's Apprentice, #10)
“Crowley shook his head. "I sometimes wonder if it was a good idea having Halt train apprentices. He seems to teach them no respect for authority."

"Oh, he teaches us to respect authority," Gilan said innocently. "He just teaches us to ignore it when necessary.”
93 likes