Start by marking “Lonely Planet Japanese Phrasebook & Dictionary” as Want to Read:
Lonely Planet Japanese Phrasebook & Dictionary

Lonely Planet Japanese Phrasebook & Dictionary

(Lonely Planet)

Lonely Planet: The world's leading travel guide publisher

Japanese people are often too shy or worried about making mistakes to speak to visitors using what English they may know. Even the smallest effort to speak to locals in Japanese will be warmly received!

Get More From Your Trip with Easy-to-Find Phrases for Every Travel Situation!Lonely Planet Phrasebooks have been con
Published March 1st 2012 by Lonely Planet

To ask other readers questions about Lonely Planet Japanese Phrasebook & Dictionary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lonely Planet Japanese Phrasebook & Dictionary

Start your review of Lonely Planet Japanese Phrasebook & Dictionary
Fahad
Mar 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-books
Excellent start to knowing your Japanese!
Jesus Smith
It's not a terrible phrasebook, but it's not as useful as one might imagine. Yes, there's a lot of variety, but almost all of it is filler, and a good third of it is dictionaries and appendices.

I wouldn't recommend this book, unless you want to add more variety to your language learning arsenal OR if you plan on using it as I did and carrying it in your pocket to read during spare moments.
L.J. Kerry
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thinking of travelling to Japan in the future and knowing that the country doesn't speak too much English I invested in this book to know some phrases so I am not completely lost. I find this book really helpful with how to pronounce everything and the addition of the dictionary is really helpful to translate any signage that you may not be familiar with when you don't have access to WiFi.

Constantin
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other
Amazing little book!

So much information in it, and it has an amazing selection of phrases for almost every possible situation that one might face during a trip to Japan!
Beckie
Jun 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Travelers, newbies to Japan
I recently moved to Japan without knowing very much Japanese. This book has been very helpful! I carried it everywhere with me for the few two months. Even now, six months later, I still take it with me for certain tasks. I went to mail a box at the post office last week, and I brought this phrasebook with me. It definitely saved me!

I wish the menu decoder was in alphabetical order by the English translation, though. Being ordered by romanji isn't very helpful when menu items are all in kanji or
Yue
So practical this little book! The size is perfect for travel, and the guide is excellent. I cannot wait to use it in the future. Not only it has necessary phrases to book a room and basic key words, like numbers and greetings, but also pick-up lines! And a lot of words and phrases about food. At the end there is a little dictionary mostly about food.

There are also some graphics with the correspondent word (things in a room, parts of a body, etc). It has a little bit of everything, in such a ti
Penny
Sep 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I got this book as part of my own studies into language. what better way to get the theory of linguistics by having a first hand experience of learning a new language with a completely different alphabet to Roman letters. I found this book to be much more helpful than most of the language learning books I have come across. It has also made learning the language more fun and natural as I can use it around the house. Defiantly one to have a look at if you are new to Japanese
Heidi
Aug 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
For such a complicated language, they do a great job getting the basics across for communicating and getting by.

By no means is this going to make anyone fluent, but it does help get the bare bones of the spoken and written Japanese.

I'm taking a trip to Japan for the first time in October and I plan on bringing this little book with me for guidance. It's going to be an adventure for sure!
Bianca
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This book was really helpful for me when I was in Japan and covered so many topics! I'd be lying if I said I didn't 100% rely on this book when conversing with the locals at the time. So easy to use.

I'll definitely be looking into other lonely planet phrasebook's in my future travels to non-english speaking countries.
Bea Villaflor
Sep 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Brought this along with me during my trip to Japan back in 2016 and this was a huge help.
Emma Hughes
Oct 20, 2017
Sally Pennington
Jan 03, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Lonely Planet Japan (Travel Guide)
  • Paddle Your Own Canoe: One Man's Fundamentals for Delicious Living
  • Daws: A Man Who Trusted God
  • Webster's New World College Dictionary
  • Super Cheap Japan: Budget Travel in Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Nara, Hiroshima and Surrounding Areas
  • Space Wolf (Space Wolf #1)
  • Civilized to Death: What Was Lost on the Way to Modernity
  • A Complete Guide to Technical Trading Tactics: How to Profit Using Pivot Points, Candlesticks & Other Indicators
  • Bushcraft 101: A Field Guide to the Art of Wilderness Survival
  • The Awakened Ape: A Biohacker's Guide to Evolutionary Fitness, Natural Ecstasy, and Stress-Free Living
  • The Will to Power
  • Own the Day, Own Your Life: Optimised practices for waking, working, learning, eating, training, playing, sleeping and sex
  • Beyond Good and Evil
  • Conjure Women
  • Basketball Analytics: Spatial Tracking
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
  • The Chimp Paradox: The Acclaimed Mind Management Programme to Help You Achieve Success, Confidence and Happiness
  • Relentless: From Good to Great to Unstoppable
OUR STORY
A beat-up old car, a few dollars in the pocket and a sense of adventure. In 1972 that’s all Tony and Maureen Wheeler needed for the trip of a lifetime – across Europe and Asia overland to Australia. It took several months, and at the end – broke but inspired – they sat at their kitchen table writing and stapling together their first travel guide, Across Asia on the Cheap. Within a week th

Lonely Planet (1 - 10 of 398 books)
  • Bad Lands (Lonely Planet)
  • Lonely Planet Portugal (Travel Guide)
  • Lonely Planet Paris (Travel Guide)
  • Lonely Planet The World: A Traveller's Guide to the Planet
  • National Parks of America (Lonely Planet)
  • Lonely Planet's Ultimate Travel: Our List of the 500 Best Places to See... Ranked
  • Lonely Planet Scotland (Travel Guide)
  • Lonely Planet Banff, Jasper and Glacier National Parks (Travel Guide)
  • Lonely Planet Sicily (Travel Guide)
  • Lonely Planet Mexico (Travel Guide)

News & Interviews

Nature, in Her infinite awesomeness, can provide solace even when you’re stuck in the house. As a matter of fact, the numbers suggest that...