Start by marking “Black Wind (Dirk Pitt, #18)” as Want to Read:
Black Wind (Dirk Pitt, #18)

Black Wind (Dirk Pitt #18)

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  9,970 Ratings  ·  316 Reviews
"In the waning days of World War II, unbeknownst to all but a handful of people, the Japanese tried a last, desperate measure. Two submarines were sent to the West Coast of the United States, their cargo a revolutionary new strain of biological virus, their mission to unleash hell." "Neither sub made it to the designated target. But that does not mean they were lost."

"Som
Published 2004 by Michael Joseph

To ask other readers questions about Black Wind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Wind

Mihai Dumitru
Dec 27, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aventuri
Dacă Goodreads mi-ar cere să recenzez Vântul negru într-un singur cuvânt, acela ar fi „americănesc”. Prizez stilul lui Clive Cussler care parcă scrie un scenariu de film. Personajele sunt superficiale, în sensul că viața lor se desfășoară doar la suprafață, fără laturi ascunse, la fel și acțiunea, antrenantă și cu efecte speciale ca la Hollywood. Intriga pare bazată pe titlurile alarmiste din presa americană a deceniilor trecute, care anunța atacuri ale neo-naziștilor cu gaz sarin și alte asemen ...more
Kat Powell
May 14, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
You know what you're getting with a Clive Cussler novel. The format's all a bit 'cut and paste' - whoever is introduced in the first section will die and leave behind some dastardly way of destroying the world, then NUMA will stumble across it and almost avert disaster but the baddies will win round one and then all the same cat and mouse will happen again but this time NUMA will save the world in the nick of time. Still usually the series is a good escapist read but this one was just... dull! F ...more
David
another ripping yarn
Susan
Nov 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book, library
These are always interesting books. I enjoy the history melding with the current time. The characters are always fun. The narrator did an excellent job as well.
Fredrick Danysh
A North Korean agent has become a billionaire in South Korean. When he learns of biological weapons aboard two Japanese World War II submarines, he plans to attack America blaming Japan and reunite Korea under the North's rule. Hundreds of thousands of lives are at stake.
Jay Schutt
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Another fun read from Cussler with the usual cast of characters and all the action and adventure you expect.
LadyCroft86
Jul 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Dirk Pitt adventure but this one was a little different in that Dirk Pitt Jr is the main character. Dirk Pitt Sr is almost a secondary character, which is a fine way of aging him and allowing him to pass on his adventuring legacy to his son and daughter. There was a little bit of confusion with both the Dirks in the book, mainly knowing which one was which when they were both together. For the most part, "Dirk" is referring to junior Pitt and "Pitt" refers to the senior Pitt. I also like ...more
Britt Griffith
I’m not exactly sure why, but this was my favorite Dirk Pitt novel, probably because the main character was actually his son, Dirk Jr. Dirk isn’t as cocky as his father and just seemed to get on my nerves less. Plus this was the most recent of Cussler’s books that I have read, and actually took place in the year 2007, which made it easier to relate to, since it isn’t 30 years old. The premise was that this evil Korean guy wanted to unite North and South Korea again (and implement his communist d ...more
Jenn
Feb 27, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jenn by: nick
This book was TERRIBLE!!!!!!

Ok, now that I've gotten that out of my system, let's be a little more coherent, eh?

Black Wind would have been a decent book if it werent for the author himself. The writing style is slow and boring. There's plenty of action but it is constantly disrupted by technical descriptions of rockets, or submarines, or biological warfare, or whatnot. It made even the most action packed scenes boring as all hell.

Now onto the characters. By all rights and laws of nature, THESE
Travis Bow
Cheesy beyond all reasoning. If you like seeing super-classic evil dudes with nefarious plots waging war against chivalrous, daring, uber-lucky, hyper-intelligent (when they aren't putting themselves in danger for absolutely no reason), lady-killer heroes who can do everything James Bond can without any of the training (even make corny puns, like "I was the one who was shaken and stirred" after escaping a wrecked submarine and considering the appeal of a cocktail)... if you like all that AND if ...more
James Keel
Jun 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can not say why exactly but I am always drawn to reading books where the lead character carries on through numerous books which I why I so love Clive Cussler. Between Dirk Pitt, Kurt Austin, and the rest of the NUMA group I can always open a book a find a character I am invested in.
Susan
Another goodie from Cussler! Very enjoyable! This one had more of the Dirk Pitt children in it than the elder Dirk. I still prefer the ones pre-Pitt kids. And I have not read them all yet so many more enjoyable times ahead.
Jen
Sep 11, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The history and geography kept my attention, but the characters were shallow and the dialogue stilted.
Trevor Lee
Sep 18, 2009 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Page 98, VERY intriguing, although I am disappointed I haven't and most likely will never learn this in school. I think it's very appropriate to say that I believe i should learn this in school.
Barbara
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ho trovato questo romanzo molto più bello di quello precedente, sarà che Dirk Pitt junior è identico al padre in quanto a pazzia e risposte velenose o modi di fare, ma la spalla Jack non è decisamente Al Giordino, che trovo più simpatico.
Il romanzo pur non essendo proprio legato al classico tesoro subacqueo, ma più una caccia la cattivo stile 007, e il relativo salvataggio del mondo dal terribile virus vaiolo+HIV è molto ben strutturato, con spiegazioni a livello cervellotico per chi non ci capi
Dave Fellows
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
4/5 stars. Much better than the last one, though a few flaws remain. The plot was much better, reverting back to the older days when the bad guy is driven by power and politics, and not just a megalomaniacal thirst for dastardly schemes. Dirk and Summer still feel too cheesy when paired together, and it was actually a shame to see Dirk Pitt Senior turn up in the last 100 pages and steal the show by saving the day...this had been Dirk Jr's story up to that point, and I was hoping "Daddy" would st ...more
Wunderdrugged
It's a little annoying that even though the next generation (Summer & Dirk Jr.) are both present and accounted for in this latest installment, Dirk Jr. gets all of the hero stuff and the romance. Summer has her moments co-piloting the sub and helping her brother out of at least one life-or-death situation, but for the most part is off somewhere safe imploring her brother to be careful. I still enjoy reading a fun adventure story on vacation, but would like to see a more equitable treatment o ...more
Lyn Richards
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the adventures of Dirk Pitt and his sister on their thrill seeking adventure to catch and stop evil doers before chaos is spread. This book taps into alot of peoples beliefs about countries and their attempts for world domination at all costs from Korea to China. I also really enjoyed how Clive Cussler wrote himself into the book as a character but the character he is in real life. A great read
Travis Crump
Bad

Not real sure why I bothered to finish. It lacks all the charm and humor of the earlier books as well as lacking a sense of coherence. Instead of fun implausibility, it was just a bunch of gobbledygook at times.
Ryan Feltman
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you've read Cussler before than you know what to expect. All the basics are there. This particular book didn't have as much action as some of the other Dirk Pitt books do but the story was interesting to me. If you like Cussler you'll like this book.
Sam Kim
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Horrible characterization (lack thereof) & dialog. The only thing that saves it is that I love submarines like a kid and the Korean state of affairs is so apropos even years later. Beach read. Long.
Priya
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book focuses more on Dirk Jr then on Dirk Sr.
Although close to the end there is a small part where it gets confusing whether the author is speaking about Dirk Sr or Dirk Jr.
Otherwise a good intro to Dirk Jr.
John
Aug 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cussler
Written with son. A typical emerging from the jaws of death several times with various submersible vehicles and foreign intrigue involved. This time the villain is a South Korean businessman who's a plant by North Korea.
Ollie James
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: clive-cussler
A highly entertaining Bond esque adventure. If you are looking for high literary art then the Cussler series of books are not going to satisfy but as a summer light read that offers thrills and adventure Black Wind more then delivered.
Robin Ramoutar
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read. Cuddler does it again.

Cussler is one of the greatest story tellers of our time. Dirk Pitt is a hero for all seasons and all time.
Ron
Aug 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good story
Halalilodri
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gelesen
Vor Jahren habe ich die Clive Cussler Romane verschlungen. Inzwischen ist die Begeisterung etwas zurückgegangen, das liegt aber auch insgesamt am Wandel der Zeit.

Das merkt man auch im Buch, bei dem die ehemaligen Protagonisten ihre Söhne und Töchter eingesetzt haben. Und natürlich sind alle in super wichtigen Positionen.

Diese Art von Roman passt besser in die neunziger Jahre.
Becky Combs
Loaned to me by a friend. Too James Bond-ish for me. Ugh
Randy
Feb 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy read with lots of military, shipping, and submarine detail mixed into an action plot. Especially interesting since the murder of Kim Jong-Nam by VX nerve agent. A bit predictable, characters are somewhat wooden, but a page turner nonetheless. Written as if it was made for a shoot-em-up screenplay.
David
Dec 23, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This series used to be a lot more fun. Either I've matured, or the melodramatic prose has just gotten worse.

This story concerns a biological terrorist attack planned against the United States.

It offered some interest as it described submarines built with floating hangars for launching sea planes, which I did not know existed before reading this book. The Japanese I-400 class actually had disassembled seaplanes which could be quickly reassembled and then floated where they could take off.

And th
Goodreads Librari...: Please Combine This book as Dirk Pitt #18 3 117 Jan 20, 2016 12:59AM
Continuation of Dirk Pitt Senior's story 3 34 Aug 26, 2014 07:09AM
  • Liberty (Jake Grafton #10)
  • Havoc (Philip Mercer, #7)
  • U.S.S. Seawolf (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #4)
  • Wings of Fire (Patrick McLanahan, #10)
  • Bad Company (Sean Dillion, #11)
  • The Hunters (Presidential Agent, #3)
  • Divide and Conquer (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #7)
Cussler began writing novels in 1965 and published his first work featuring his continuous series hero, Dirk Pitt, in 1973. His first non-fiction, The Sea Hunters, was released in 1996. The Board of Governors of the Maritime College, State University of New York, considered The Sea Hunters in lieu of a Ph.D. thesis and awarded Cussler a Doctor of Letters degree in May, 1997. It was the first time ...more
More about Clive Cussler...

Dirk Pitt (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Pacific Vortex! (Dirk Pitt, #1)
  • The Mediterranean Caper (Dirk Pitt, #2)
  • Iceberg (Dirk Pitt, #3)
  • Raise the Titanic! (Dirk Pitt, #4)
  • Vixen 03 (Dirk Pitt, #5)
  • Night Probe! (Dirk Pitt, #6)
  • Deep Six (Dirk Pitt, #7)
  • Cyclops (Dirk Pitt, #8)
  • Treasure (Dirk Pitt, #9)
  • Dragon (Dirk Pitt, #10)

“Yes, I am aware of the enticements required to obtain them,” Kang replied with distaste. “I believe the Russians could teach the West a thing or two about capitalistic extortion.” 0 likes