Start by marking “All the Roads That Lead from Home” as Want to Read:
All the Roads That Lead from Home

All the Roads That Lead from Home

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  54 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
"Anne Leigh Parrish has written a collection of stories that deserve a place on the shelf next to Raymond Carver, Tom Boyle, Richard Bausch, and other investigators of lives gone wrong. Parrish writes with painful clarity about marriages turned sour, children at war with their parents, women drifting from one damaging relationship to another, and about unexpected acts of g ...more
Published August 18th 2011 by Press 53

To ask other readers questions about All the Roads That Lead from Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All the Roads That Lead from Home

Donna
Feb 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Gina Ochsner compliments Anne Leigh Parrish’s sentences as “stone-cold”—a term I found apt. There is an emotional starkness to the stories in which the characters’ quiet, almost invisible steps to escape their troubles catch the reader bare-handed by the throat. There is no sentimentality in these stories, no superfluous language to clutter the page, just straightforward and hard-hitting prose that brings each story from opening scene to artfully understated and fitting close.
Kathy
Aug 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Really good, straightforward and well-crafted short stories with imperfect, damaged, down-to-earth characters. The comparisons to Carver are apt.
Betsy
Jun 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Most of the time I steer clear of short stories. I usually don't feel like I get to know the characters as well as I'd like to and as well as I do when I read a novel. I like that a novel can tell a story over days or decades, or anything in between. It can contain a lot of characters because given a long enough story, I can keep all of them straight. A couple years ago I won New Stories from the South 2010 from a Facebook contest by Algonquin Books and I started to be a believer in short storie ...more
Suzanne
Sep 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
The full review appears in the Fall 2013 issue of the journal Gently Read Literature.

"Parrish’s characters are misfits and people who have suffered losses, like Maggie in Surrogate, whose mother abandoned her when Maggie was five, as did the mother of Angie, a much-damaged, street-wise bartender who thanklessly and unsuccessfully tries to save her addict boyfriend in For the Taking. In Snow Angels, Cory’s mom died when she was five. In Pinny and the Fat G
Anesa
Oct 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Anne Leigh Parrish has created a captivating selection of stories in All the Roads That Lead From Home. It comes as no surprise that many of the titles are prizewinners from prominent literary magazines. The quirky and diverse array of human behaviors displayed in these pages is sure to amuse, while also reflecting a profound depth of feeling. To give a few examples—

A woman projects the heartbreak of miscarriage onto a plaster cast of the Virgin Mary. When a neighbor girl breaks the statue and r
Abria Mattina
Apr 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-2012
Originally reviewed here.

All the Roads that Lead from Home is a collection of short stories set in or around Dunston, Pennsylvania. I never know what to expect with short story collections, but I found All the Roads that Lead from Home to be an excellent read. Parrish crafts her stories with a touching, homegrown honesty in regard to human behaviour and suffering.

Many of the stories in this collection highlight the suffering of women. Topics include mother-daughter criticism, the burden of pare
Keith Madsen
Dec 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Since I have shifted my own writing emphasis of late (temporarily) from novels to short stories, I have also been reading more short stories to help me see what is out there. I re-read Sherwood Anderson's WINESBURG, OHIO, as well as some short stories put out by Zoetrope and American Short Fiction. The stories of Anne Leigh Parrish, on the whole, compare quite well with Anderson's stories. While some short stories seem too nihilistic to me (some people seem to think realism in a story necessitat ...more
Deepak Maini
Feb 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
All the Roads that Lead from Home is a brilliant book. Anne Leigh Parrish has given her readers eleven crisp stories that deceive with their easygoing tone at first but end with a powerful punch, a stark realization, a deep understanding of life, relationships, and hopes. Dunston, New York, is common among all stories, and suffering, characters in her stories suffer, struggle to deal with whatever is missing in their life, and Parrish presents these characters in their weakest moment, flawlessly ...more
Rae
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
I loved every single one of these short stories. Each gives a glimpse into human nature and all it's complexities, and they each have a life lesson to impart, a gift from the author. I had a few favorites, most especially "Snow Angels", the story of a young rebellious girl who didn't act or think the way her father expected her to, so he sent her away. She never looked back until summoned to his death bed many years later where she finally found out the truth of things. I don't want to give anyt ...more
Kelsye Nelson
Feb 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It's been some time since I've found a short story collection so satisfying and adept. Each of these stories stand alone as compelling, powerful and memorable. The women of these stories are easy to fall for, tragic and familiar. So many feel like a best friend that you've lost touch with, or perhaps even yourself at some point. Finishing the book was hard, knowing I'd had to leave these girls in their worlds where I couldn't see what happens to them next. These are good stories. Smart and real.
Patricia Ibarra
Sep 07, 2013 rated it liked it
I have never been a fan of short stories and I confirmed it with this book I just came around. All the stories are of underprivileded people, mainly women and children. In general, all of them have no idea where their life is going and their personal relationhips are a mess. Depressing and whenever I finished reading a story I felt it clarified nothing about the characters and always with the sensation that it was incomplete.
Jessica
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really great collection of short stories; I often had to take a break after finishing a story because I was still thinking about it as I tried to read the next. One particular story stuck with me for so long I had a dream about it... The writing is precise and full of impact; it's wonderfully written. I look forward to reading more by Anne Leigh Parrish.
Ben
Feb 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Oozy, gray trickles of despair. Not quite functioning relationships. And boozy, absent, alcohol-drenched fathers.

More - http://bentanzer.blogspot.com/2013/05...
Mitzi McMahon
Dec 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: collections
I loved these stories. Quiet, honest, powerful. They all have a low key sort of quality to them that is deceptive... the characters and their stories wind their way around your heart and through your mind, staying with you long after you've put the book down. Immensely satisfying.
Marion Husband
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An entertaining collection of stories, #anneleightparrish is a talented, insightful writer.
Natalie
Jul 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: summer-book
Check out SummerBooks, a literary podcast. We'll be discussing this title in an upcoming episode.
Sara
Nov 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
I don't really care for short stories but as far as they go, most of these were okay but I found that they left a lot to be desired. I felt like I was left hanging at the end of every one.
Maureen
Apr 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am not usually a fan of short stories, but these are truly amazing. Parrish has a voice that is absolutely authentic and moving and funny. Great stuff!
Marguerite
Oct 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Short stories linked by people living in the same Finger Lakes town: some stories were okay, some were better, some were skip-worthy.
Rebecca Carwile
Dec 17, 2014
Rasmenia Massoud
Apr 17, 2015
Patricia
Feb 01, 2015
María
rated it did not like it
Dec 15, 2013
Alyssa
Oct 04, 2013
Jenafer
Aug 18, 2017
Seattle Area Good...: Author Event - Anne Leigh Parrish (12/14) 1 3 Dec 12, 2011 06:31PM

Fiction Deals

• The Falls (P.S.)
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pieces
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Held Captive (A Lone Star Hero's Love Story)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Girl Who Came Home
    $11.99 $1.99
  • When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles, #1)
  • In the Name of the Family
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth Avenue Artists Society
  • All That's Left of Me
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Labyrinths (New Directions Paperbook)
    $15.95 $2.99
  • The Year We Left Home
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Whip
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • Written on the Body
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Dragon's Teeth (The Lanny Budd Novels)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)