Start by marking “The Line of Illeniel (Mageborn, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Line of Illeniel (Mageborn, #2)

The Line of Illeniel

(Mageborn #2)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  7,705 Ratings  ·  107 Reviews
Mordecai has discovered his heritage and must take up the mantle of a lord of the realm, while figuring out what it really means to be a mage of the line of Illeniel. He is beset on both sides by allies and enemies trying to control or destroy his future. Gods and kings both seek to manipulate him for their own ends, and no matter what he chooses his loved ones will suffer ...more
Published (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Line of Illeniel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Line of Illeniel

Tom
Dec 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya-fantasy
I think there is a good story floating around in here but it is difficult to stay immersed in it. There are so many contemporary references and slang that keeps me from believing in that world.

For me, fantasy is about being transported into another world and I had trouble getting there on this one. My Kindle version was a bargain but I don't think it was worth more than I paid.
Mike (the Paladin)
Aug 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Ahhh...the story proceeds. I'm really enjoying this series, which is good as most of the books/series I've "really" liked lately have proved to be the only one available in that series for the next year.

I found the characters fairly interesting from the get-go in this tale and got this one not long after I finished the first. There we saw Mordecai find who he really is, find his true love (and as much as I "don't" care for romance I survived it), come into his power, fight his first big battle a
Erin
Oct 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
This was an ok book. I felt like the majority of the book was the two main characters squabbling like teenagers. I found myself flipping over most of the dialogue and scenes between the two since the was really no substance to what they had to say. The plot and outcome were very obvious. I probably won't read the next installment.
Hollie
Jan 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was just as, if not more so, addicting than the first one. The roller coaster of emotion between Mordecai and Penelope gets a bit much at times, but hey, young love. It's probably a fairly accurate portrayal of how two teenagers in love and under that kind of stress would be. There is plenty of action in this book, and sarcastic humor abounds. Read: warning to those readers that don't appreciate that sort of humor.

One thing I like about this story is that the protagonists aren't alway
Erica
Sep 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
If anything, this book is even more immature than the first one. The first half of the book tried to cover too much and moved too fast for me to really feel immersed in the plot. The main character is arrogant and makes the same mistakes repeatedly without taking away any lessons from it. The relationship between the two main characters has no depth. I wanted to like the book, but it was very mediocre.
Scout Sinclair Brody
Jan 04, 2014 rated it did not like it
I wish I could get into these books, but I find the frequent grammatical errors to be downright distracting. I may be more of a stickler for punctuation than most people, but the rampant lack of commas alone makes me want to pull my hair out and scream--- in part because the universe and fantastical elements could otherwise make the story quite entertaining. (It wouldn't be a great work of literature, but could stand on its own as light fantasy.)

An example: " 'At least one of you has some sense
John
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Second book continued the authors strong showing in the first book.All the characters are interesting.Dialogue is witty and often comedic at times.I really enjoyed the back and forth banter between Mort and Penny.I am enjoying that the story isnt all over the place with hundreds of characters.I also have enjoyed that the main character Mordecai "Mort" makes several mistakes and has a penchant for saying the wrong thing at the wrong time which kind of endears him to you the reader.Flawed characte ...more
Anoop Menon
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
gripping , and better than the first book...interesting and refreshing.
Nealis
May 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
The language is a bit odd. It could be a selling point for some, but not me. I dislike the pretensions that some fantasy novels have, they try to be Shakespeare with odd sentence structure for character speech and use invented words every other sentence. I do want some effort though, English is a flexible language that constantly changes and that allows fantasy authors a great leeway in world building. A few proverbs here about local gods here, a gripe about about whatever local situation there ...more
Steven Brown
Sep 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Michael G Manning delivers a fast-paced, fun, and emotional fantasy.

This a 3-star but almost became a four star as the story pulled me all the way through and delivered in the ending. The story is very straightforward and not very deep but it is still fun. With the foundation of the first book The World building here did expand the story enough to give it more of an epic feel. If you're looking for an easy fantasy this is for you.

I do not mean for my compliments to sound backhanded at all. There
Jordan Steinhoff
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
This was a very good follow up to the first book.

Mordecai continues to learn of his heritage, his powers and romance.

It takes a dark turn and has a strong Nick Seafort vibe for a while. Leadership. Responsibility. Burden of command. It was done well, though. Showing the negatives without hitting the reader on the head with a hammer.

Had a great ending with a few things setup for future book(s). Can't wait to get to the next installment.
Francis Chamberland
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Line of Illeniel (Mageborn Book 2) Review

Dear Michael, I really enjoyed reading book 2 in series and enjoyed the entertainment and creativity involved along with the characters. I enjoy the plot line very much and all the exciting action. I highly recommend reading this book to any adult interested in reading a great story. Thanks for the entertainment and enjoyable time.
Timothy
Sep 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Pretty okay.

Some parts were real cool, like all magic engineering stuff and parts with dad. Really wish they (view spoiler), but I guess that's just using life experience to power the story.

Anyways. Worth giving a shot for those who liked the last one. I personally plan to continue reading this series.
Kathryn Snyder
The man character is insufferably misogynistic, arrogant, and headstrong. The main girl is just as insufferable.... The lore, and Marcus, and Rose are the only things keeping me interested in this series.
Jordan
May 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Unfortunately weaker than the first book. Far too much time is spent on Mort and Penny's relationship which even the CW channel would have trouble keeping their head on straight the amount of times they fight and make up and fight and make up...I just cant.

Tony Cleary
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Carry on the journey and enjoy

With this book you are carried further along to an adventure of masterly writing with wonders of the writers imagination that actually make you feel you are in the story standing next to Mordecai
Indira Rivera
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pretty cool.
Jeffrey A. Dewey
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The saga grows

The saga just continues to grow. Treachery, wealth, New found knowledge, loss of a loved one and the growth of new life. It's a all there.
M.L.S. Weech
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Review to post on my blog in the near future.
D
Nov 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
Suuuuuuch bullshit.
C
May 16, 2013 rated it liked it

It's a good story & I want to give this more stars, but it needs an editor's love to sort out grammatical errors, trim fluff, flesh out a few scenes and comb out all the snarls and tangles for continuity. There were times I had the feeling of looking out a car window as the landscape flashes by - passing through a bit too quickly to really feel I was in the story.

That said, some of the grammatical/continuity issues I had in book one did not appear in book two. I feel like this is one of thos
Asaviel
Oct 13, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"Lasst nicht zu, dass euer Verstand das Herz aufhält, Junge. Der Verstand bringt immer nur alles durcheinander, glaubt mir." (Seite 77)

Nach dem Beenden von dem Vorgängerband (Das Erwachen - Band 1) hatte ich mir erhofft und versprochen, dass der Autor mit "Der Bund" sich noch steigern kann und mich damit dann vollständig überzeugt, denn es folgen schließlich noch Bücher in dieser Reihe und die Grundidee ist spannend.
Dabei bleibt es auch in diesem Buch. Die Idee ist spannend. Das Magiesystem ist
Jess
Jan 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
It’s getting so much better.
In his Acknowledgements Michael G. Manning mentions the death of his real life father and how this reflects in the way he wrote the second half of the novel, and even without him telling me this you can really sense a change in mood. The tone of this second instalment from the Mageborn series is a lot darker, the main character Mort now has a lot of adult issues to deal with, and a lot of personal heartache to tend to while fighting a war.

The battle scenes were very
Ken
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
good read good time

I am enjoying this book and series! I like the characters, storyline and like the humor put into the characters. The humor and comments (humorous) really add to the 'flavor' of the character(s) for me. Mort and Penny go on like good friends and an old married couple - lightens the mood and shows another aspect of characters. Just as when Mort turned cold and talked about the true face of war - killing your enemy! Yes the enemy have family and extended family but when being att
Jeremy
Oct 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This was a great book. I gave this book 5 stars because I enjoyed it a ton...despite the lack of good editing. Commas are a weakness for Manning, it seems. ;)

However, it is easy to please me. All I need is a story (preferably first person) from the POV of a powerful magical being, and the more powerful he is compared to everyone else, the more I like the story (I suppose that there is a point where the main character's power would solve all problems quickly and ruin the book, but I've never read
Dianna
Aug 11, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: gave-up
I started this book hoping the writing and the anachronisms would have improved since the first book, but it was more of the same thing. I don't want to read about Joe the farmer, how their travels feel like a camping vacation, or that there were multiple bedrooms in their chamber once they arrived at the king's castle.

And it wasn't just the anachronisms; the writing itself continued to come off as very immature (there was more of the annoying switching between 1st and 3rd person narrative) and
Lisa Cox
Feb 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I didn't like this, the 2nd in the series, quite as much as I did the first. I think there were two reasons: 1) the "new" had worn off a little, and 2) it was somewhat darker.

I kind of blundered into the first book after downloading a bunch of freebies for the Kindle. Most of those freebies were simply drek. However, Mageborn was a breath of fresh air. I loved the author's writing style so much that I rushed out and bought his 2nd book, so I didn't have that history of a long line of bad books j
Underground Book Reviews
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-pick
Manning doesn’t miss a beat and builds on the strengths that made Blacksmith such a good book. While he introduces a few new minor characters, Manning spends most of the novel building upon the established characters. Illeniel possesses a faster pace, more moving parts, and significantly more action than Blacksmith. A lesser writer might have lost his way.

With The Line of Illeniel Michael G. Manning proves Blacksmith’s Son was no fluke. He also demonstrates a self-published author can deliver a
David Keefe
Oct 04, 2015 rated it liked it
The book and story was written well enough for me to keep reading. But I can't stop thinking about how a young man who is very shy and just coming into his self gets the strength to out do better trained and experienced foes. I think what I'm trying to say is since this is all new to

Stephen
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Manning manages to create characters and a world so clearly that as you move through the book it is easy to imagine even the littlest of details. The magic, battles, stories within stories he creates are epic and although the idea of a young man coming of age who finds out he can do magic ..... is not new, Manning manages to give it a whole new twist and when you mix that with a truly great and unique writing style, Manning brings a much needed new breath into the world of Fantasy. I imagine we ...more
  • The Dragonswarm (Dragonprince Trilogy, #2)
  • Mindbender (Sovereign of the Seven Isles, #3)
  • The Sorcerer's Torment (The Sorcerer's Path, #2)
  • Wielder's Rising (Wielder, #2)
  • Magic Awakening (The Five Kingdom, #2)
  • The Wayfarer King (The Kinshield Saga, #2)
  • Advent (Advent Mage Cycle, #3)
  • The Sartious Mage (The Rhythm of Rivalry, #1.5)
  • Knight of the Realm (The Young Ancients, #3)
Michael Manning was born in Cleveland, Texas and spent his formative years there, reading fantasy and science fiction, concocting home grown experiments in his backyard, and generally avoiding schoolwork.

Eventually he went to college, starting at Sam Houston State University, where his love of beer blossomed and his obsession with playing role-playing games led him to what he calls 'his best year

Mageborn (5 books)
  • The Blacksmith's Son (Mageborn, #1)
  • The Archmage Unbound (Mageborn, #3)
  • The God-Stone War (Mageborn, #4)
  • The Final Redemption (Mageborn, #5)
“The key word is shouldn’t,” he said grimly. “It isn’t a word I like to hear when it comes to battle. That word has killed more men than any other word, except perhaps one.” He waited for my inevitable question. I sighed and asked, “What word is that?” “Charge,” he replied with a smile.” 4 likes
“Quite a bit of his swearing was pure nautical genius.” 4 likes