Start by marking “Goodnight Steve McQueen” as Want to Read:
Goodnight Steve McQueen

Goodnight Steve McQueen

3.44  ·  Rating details ·  371 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
From the author of The Perfect Play comes a charmingly
romantic–yet very edgy-novel set in the music industry about friendship,
love, growing up, and always following your dreams.

Danny McQueen has dreamed of being a pop star since he was thirteen-years-old. Now he's twenty-nine and still dreaming. But he faces a dilemma. His girlfriend Alison wants him to sort his life out.
Published March 15th 2005 by Harper Paperbacks (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Goodnight Steve McQueen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goodnight Steve McQueen

Cheryl
Jul 30, 2009 marked it as partiallyread-notsureillfinish
Sure I love fiction and nonfiction about rock stars and musicians, but there is a back story on this one:

Semi-serendipitously discovered this title while testing the catalog and learned from reviews that the author is the Louise from 90s band Sleeper. So, wow, intriguing, because I was introduced to Louise from Sleeper on July 30, 1995 when I heard Michael Stipe sing "Happy Birthday" to her (sweet sixteen) before the band launches into "Strange Currencies." R.E.M. played the Milton Keynes Bowl
Patrick
Jan 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2006
Louise Wener, former singer of the 90's brit-pop band Sleeper, shines in her second novel, about a guy in his late-20's who has to choose between his fading dreams of rock stardom and living a normal life to keep the woman he loves. Funny, authentic, and heart-warming (or at least as warm as my heart gets). Her prose is a lot like her lyrics, if you like this, check out the band's great album, "The It Girl."
Katie
Jul 03, 2007 rated it really liked it
Despite being authored by a woman, I can see this easily falling into the lad lit category, although that doesn't really matter. Has some good laugh-out loud moments, but lacks the depth of, say, Nick Hornby.
Mike
Dec 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Accurate portrayal of aging hipster musicians, perfect for anglophiles such as myself. Makes you kind of glad record labels are dying off because the little guy can now make and sell music from his basement.... or so I've heard.
Ian Kirkpatrick
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have been reading a number of first novels recently and decided to read Louise Wener’s debut, “Goodnight, Steve McQueen” even though it dates back to 2002. I am so glad that I did; I think I enjoyed it more than any other novel I’ve read over the past year.

The quality of the writing is outstanding, and Wener skilfully creates a really entertaining set of characters with distinctive voices. She writes in the first person through the eyes of Danny McQueen, a 29 year old who has spent his life dr
Rebecca
Jun 18, 2011 rated it liked it
For some reason, I am sure this book is on one of my lists somewhere. I don’t know where, but it’s there. The stamp the library gave it was from the last year and the cover is hardly worn. But when I read the masthead, as I always do, it said that this book was from 2002! Damn, that’s old. This book was an easy, straight forward read. Short, easy to swallow chapters, which I love. Dude and Girl have been dating for a long time and Girl gives Dude an ultimatum. His band has to make it by the end ...more
Nick Davies
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Perfectly pleasant popular 'bloke-lit' style fiction, relationships and humour set around the theme of being in a band - it shouldn't be a surprise that Louise 'former frontwoman of Britpop band Sleeper' Wener is very capable of writing an enjoyable book. I was impressed though, the male characters and female characters both felt realistic (which can sometimes not be the case with this ilk of book) and the plot - that of a bloke given an ultimatum by his girlfriend to get a record deal or grown ...more
Jimmy
Jun 30, 2008 rated it it was ok
Are guys really that dumb?? It seems like there is a stereotype of guys that cannot handle any type of relationships with women running through most of the books and movies I've partaken in recently. They guys can communicate ok with their male friends but when it comes to women they have no sense whatsoever....(as in the Coupling TV show)

I picked this book out at random in the library as it was set in the UK and dealt with music. Very lightweight and took me a while to read as I was not dying t
Becky Everhart
Jan 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
This book was really good. I loved how well the characters were developed as well as how they interacted. It seemed realistic to me in that way, especially since the characters weren't completely perfect. I will say that at times it was hard to tell/keep track of who was talking at times and the British slang sometimes took some doing to decipher for someone from smalltown Indiana. Still, it was joy to read and probably was well-researched by the author's own musical journey as the member of a p ...more
Lucy Cassatt
Aug 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
I bought this book while traveling through Ireland. I know that I read it that summer, which now seems ages ago. I cant remember what the story was about (and you can look that up), but I know that the book left me with the feeling that it was hilarious and ingeniously written. I also know that I lend it to my best friend Christoph, who also enjoyed it - and we both are very hard to impress.
So there it is, a recommendation for a book based on a great feeling!
Dan
Sep 28, 2011 rated it liked it
For someone intimately acquainted with the music scene, a lot of the dialogue among the band members in this book fails to ring true. A real pop star, for instance, would not be inclined to describe a particularly good guitar riff as "rockin'"; nor would they be likely to hold Dexy's Midnight Runners in such high esteem as one character appears to. Having said that, it's also a light and enjoyable read - although the 'happy' ending did seem to me a tad depressing...
Weebly
Mar 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book, and I must say it was a very easy read and not bad for a first attempt at writing for Louise Wener. Danny was a likeable character, and now I have seen what it is like trying to get a foot in the door in the music business, I think I would prefer not to be a singer myself! I would assume it is faily accurate with the background of the author who was the lead singer of the band Sleeper. It kinf of reminded me of the Mike Gayle book I recently read too.
Joana
Aug 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was Louise Wener's first book and understandably deals with her area of expertise: the music industry and trying to make it as a small band. It's a fun, entertaining book with lots of fast dialogue and, while the story is a little predictable with twists and turns and good fortune in the mix, I enjoyed it very much. This is the kind of book that I would (attempt to) write and the kind that I wouldn't mind reading more of.
Gal Shadeck
May 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: misc
A nice attempt at bloke lit from a chick, with an additional bonus of chick having a first-hand experience with the music business. Probably better than an average book in this genre (beats Tony Parsons, Mike Gayle and the guy who wrote "Starter for ten", in my view), but still miles away from Nick Hornby, or even John O'Farrell.
Bonnie
May 09, 2008 rated it did not like it
I was disappointed by the 2-dimensional feeling of this book. The characters and plot were unfortunately predictable. I skimmed the middle 60% of the book and then read the end, and didn't feel like I missed anything.

There are some moments that border on depth, but on the whole, the themes of the story were pretty stale so I had difficulty enjoying any of the humour.

Michelle Meckley
Jul 14, 2008 rated it did not like it
This book started out OK funny characters and neat to see a man's point of view but it stops there.. I skipped thru some pages and feel did not miss a thing. I went to the end of book and extremely predictable also many references to european ways so that was confusing as well.. Don't waste your time on this one
Annyka
Aug 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Danny's friends are amazing. Just hated how girls were treated in this book. Sorry but feminism all the way! But the plot was amazing and it helps with never giving up when it comes to doing what you love. But damn those boys look at women like play things, hence the three stars.
jerica
Apr 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
I have to stop peeking in the thrift bookstore everytime I get my salary.

====
All in all, an exceptionally funny book. The ending left a bit to be desired though--it quite employed deus ex machina.
Ben Sherwood
Jul 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very easy to read and really quite enjoyable, if a little predicatable at times - i kinda expected more, but i'd already read the rather excellent half life of stars, and on the whole this is a very good first novel.
Rob
Nov 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
This book was quite reminiscent of High Fidelity: a 20s-something music fan avoids getting a "real" job by working in a video store, resulting in a lack of progress in both his life in general and his relationship with his girlfriend in particular. Very funny.
Melissa
Aug 08, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: brit-lit
Have this book listed in my reading log, but have no recollection of it. I'm sure I picked it up due to it being British, but other than that, not too memorable even when reading reviews to spark my memory.
Heidi
Feb 18, 2009 rated it did not like it
Another waste of time.
Laurent Szklarz
highly entertaining
Janet
Nov 16, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
I'm going to shelve this for now. Have only read a few chapters, which were enjoyable, as well as the "everything turns out ok" ending, but this is just not the right time for this one.
Jen
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Light, very witty and makes you think to pursue your dreams in life.
Janell Kellett
Sep 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book. Just a good fun read.
Terry
Jul 26, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I can' t for the life of me remember a single thing about this book, other than that I am certain I read it.
Zippy
Nov 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Yep, pretty good. As the review on the cover suggested, if you like High Fidelity, you'll probably enjoy this as well.
Kendra
Oct 07, 2007 rated it did not like it
Shelves: jumped-ship
I don't remember how far into this one I got. I just didn't like it.
Tarek Amr
May 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this one, and I am definitely gonna watch it if they are to make a move of it someday. I love Louise Wener's of humour.
  • Post Everything: Outsider Rock and Roll
  • Exposé (Sally Harrington, #1)
  • Undercurrents: The Hidden Wiring of Modern Music
  • Gig: The Life and Times of a Rock-Star Fantasist. Simon Armitage
  • Last Girl Dancing
  • The Ballroom on Magnolia Street
  • Claire and Present Danger (Amanda Pepper, #11)
  • Us
  • Hear No Evil: Marching in the Lord's Army, Fleeing the Devil, and Finding a Righteous Groove
  • Richard
  • The Anatomy School
  • From Totems to Hip-Hop: A Multicultural Anthology of Poetry Across America
  • How Soon Is Now? The Madmen & Mavericks Who Made Independent Music (1975-2005)
  • The Hearse Case Scenario (Hitchcock Sewell Mysteries, #3)
  • Cold Feet
  • Falls the Shadow (Victor Carl, #5)
  • Trace Evidence

• A House for Happy Mothers
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • The Whiskey Rebels
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • We Are All Made of Stars
  • Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
  • Mercer Girls
    $4.99 $1.99
  • While the World Is Still Asleep (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Cellar
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Ireland
    $10.49 $2.99
“Danny: I’m a bit jealous, Sheila.
Sheila: Are you, my dear? What on earth for?
Danny: Well, because you’ve really lived, Sheila.
Sheila: Of course I have, Daniel. What else is life for?”
4 likes